5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Icelandic Pearl Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 05:54 AM

Ok, I spent 2 1/2 *&^(*%^% hours washing my car yesterday. It's been a week since I last washed it since it's rained here every day and yesterday was the first chance I had.

Has anyone else, especially IcePearl owners, noticed a huge amount of small black dots/spots on your car. They are extremely tiny and a pain to get rid of when washing. I bought a special scrub sponge to use just to get rid of them. Could this be tire shine stuff that comes off my tires or possible asphalt/tar from cars in front of me on the freeway??? I know I spent at least an 1 1/2 hours of my cleaning time just removing itty bitty spots.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:49 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

eeek!

special scrub brush? Dont use anything 'scrub'. in the short run you will like the results.. in the long run the paint will dull (clear coat).

get a good cleaner/wax after it. then follow up right after with a staight wax only to buy alittle extra protection (time). for about 3-4 months, those dots will not stick or wash off. its really all you can do.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:57 AM

WD-40

Wd-40 works great for this task! Just spray a little on a rag and rub the spot. If the spot is really hard you might want to hold the dampened area of the rag on the spot for a few seconds.
Old 06-01-2001, 07:39 AM

Tiny black dots... Good God Yes

I remember those things. I noticed these the first time I washed my car after getting it. When you go to wash them off, and you put a little elbow grease into it, they smear all over. Took me FOR-EVER to get all of them off.

Even after waxing, they came back and were just as much of a pain.

Then I got (I know, you're all saying "NO, NOT AGAIN!") the Zaino products and haven't had the problem since. Oh, the tiny black dots are there, but they just come right off with regular washing, no extra elbow grease required.

Zaino may take a bit of extra work to apply, but the time it saves during regular washing more than makes up for it. Not to mention the car looks pretty awesome, too.

Cheers!
Old 06-01-2001, 07:56 AM

Re: Tiny black dots... Good God Yes

Originally posted by RcticMax
I remember those things. I noticed these the first time I washed my car after getting it. When you go to wash them off, and you put a little elbow grease into it, they smear all over. Took me FOR-EVER to get all of them off.

Even after waxing, they came back and were just as much of a pain.

Then I got (I know, you're all saying "NO, NOT AGAIN!") the Zaino products and haven't had the problem since. Oh, the tiny black dots are there, but they just come right off with regular washing, no extra elbow grease required.

Zaino may take a bit of extra work to apply, but the time it saves during regular washing more than makes up for it. Not to mention the car looks pretty awesome, too.

Cheers!

YES YES YES! Those are the ones. They hack me off. Ok, so Zaino is what I need. What kind, type, number, etc. I have NEVER waxed a car before so I need direction. Also, I've only had mine for 2 months, is it too soon to wax it?
Old 06-01-2001, 09:12 AM

use

a CLAY bar. it's amazing what it will do. you can find it anywhere they sell detailing stuff.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:23 AM

Re: Re: Tiny black dots... Good God Yes

Originally posted by maximaman69

YES YES YES! Those are the ones. They hack me off. Ok, so Zaino is what I need. What kind, type, number, etc. I have NEVER waxed a car before so I need direction. Also, I've only had mine for 2 months, is it too soon to wax it?
Dude, check this thread for more info:

http://216.122.219.59/forums/showthr...threadid=37604

And, HELL NO, it's not too early to wax yer Max!

Cheers!
Old 06-01-2001, 04:27 PM

Ok, I spent 2 1/2 *&^(*%^% hours washing my car yesterday. It's been a week since I last washed it since it's rained here every day and yesterday was the first chance I had.

Has anyone else, especially IcePearl owners, noticed a huge amount of small black dots/spots on your car. They are extremely tiny and a pain to get rid of when washing. I bought a special scrub sponge to use just to get rid of them. Could this be tire shine stuff that comes off my tires or possible asphalt/tar from cars in front of me on the freeway??? I know I spent at least an 1 1/2 hours of my cleaning time just removing itty bitty spots.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.
Just washed my car this morning and didn't find any of those black spots. However, I'm pretty intrigued about this Zaino stuff for the future. Thanks guys for bringing it up.
Old 06-01-2001, 04:38 PM

Overspray

I could be overspray from the factory and it could be a coating that manufacturers put on the car while being transported. Dealers have a special cleaner that removes this coating. Either way a Clay Bar should easily work and much easier than most products. Try www.zainobros.com or www.griotsgarage.com for all car care needs. Waxes (Z-5)and precleaner from Zaino are 1st rate, but I still like the Undercarriage Detailer (wheelwell brightner)and Speed Spray (instant detailer) from Griots. They all work together perfectly and keep car looking new. Both companies sell the Clay Bar also......
Old 06-01-2001, 06:55 PM

I've got the black spots, only on the rear bumper cover, they appear to be completly imbedded (is that a word?)in the paint. They have been there since new, 09/00, I tried Meguire's cleaner/wax to no avail, I've been too chicken to try anything more abrasive.
Regards, David Burnette, 2K IP SE
Old 06-01-2001, 07:49 PM

the black spots you see are from road tar...you mainly get them from freshly laid road

a lot of the time it will come off with just soap and water, but sometimes you will have to clay bar it to get it all off...don't wax over the tar though...get it all off before you wax
Old 06-02-2001, 04:32 AM

I've noticed the small black spots, but it could be from the jet exhaust fallout from where I park at work. I just claybar it and they come right off. If it's road tar, usually a good liquid polish with a mild cleaner will take the spots right off, with no extra elbow grease. Where are your spots? Mine are on the dorsal faces of the car, and not on the sides.
Old 06-02-2001, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity

I've noticed the small black spots, but it could be from the jet exhaust fallout from where I park at work. I just claybar it and they come right off. If it's road tar, usually a good liquid polish with a mild cleaner will take the spots right off, with no extra elbow grease. Where are your spots? Mine are on the dorsal faces of the car, and not on the sides.

Mine tend to be all over the car, primarily from mid-level of car down to bottom. I just used Zypro (a paint sealer that Nissan recommended) and they wiped right off. The Zypro is UV7000 to prevent paint color changes and should make bugs, tar, tree sap and all other stick-on-my-max items wipe off with no effort. Also creates a deep shine. I can't even look at my Max in the sun without being blinded now. Kinda cool!
Old 06-02-2001, 05:15 PM

The small spots can also be brake dust. I have sh|t loads of them on any unprotected part of the car, especially the rear of the trunk.

What the dealer said is that it needed and 'acid wash'. No idea what that means.