5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

plug wires built into valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Power Dorifto Extraordinaire!

plug wires built into valve cover?

ok, i am no idiot, but a co-worker of mine who happens to be female called the local O'reilleys to price spark plug wires for her 2000 5th gen and they said that she had to get the valve cover also because they were built into it. i own a 3rd gen and if someone told me that crap then i would punch them in the face.

conformation? yes, it is true or no, i am correct!

ps- does the VQ use coil packs like the VE or are they standard wires?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:19 AM
dot dot dot ...

Coil packs. ... A new VC the taste out their mouths.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Uuuuhhhh NO.... you are correct. The moron from the parts store is an idiot. Thats a good one!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:15 PM

You expected more from an autoparts guy???

They tend to have no idea what they are talknig about.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Excuse me if I am a bit off topic, but the posting minimum will not allow me to create a new thread to address my issue, and this is the closest topic I could find.

I have a 2000 Max GLE and I was told at my last (reads first) tune up that I have a bad Ignition coil on my #6 cylinder that needs to be replaced. I was trying to find some details on how to DIY as well as the order that the cylinders are numbered. Even if its one in the front, I would like details on getting to the back ones as well in case an occasion arises that calls for such knowledge. Its also possible that they told me the wrong one. I did however read up on the advice of systematically locating the bad coil on my own by disconnecting them 1 at a time and notating the results.

FYI I did my fair share of searching with out getting the info I need. That is contrary to the norm which is why I dont have any posts in the first place...I have always been able to find what I need by searching up untill this issue.

Thanx in advance for your time and any input that can be offered.

Rell
Old 11-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by atl_12_playa
Excuse me if I am a bit off topic, but the posting minimum will not allow me to create a new thread to address my issue, and this is the closest topic I could find.

I have a 2000 Max GLE and I was told at my last (reads first) tune up that I have a bad Ignition coil on my #6 cylinder that needs to be replaced. I was trying to find some details on how to DIY as well as the order that the cylinders are numbered. Even if its one in the front, I would like details on getting to the back ones as well in case an occasion arises that calls for such knowledge. Its also possible that they told me the wrong one. I did however read up on the advice of systematically locating the bad coil on my own by disconnecting them 1 at a time and notating the results.

FYI I did my fair share of searching with out getting the info I need. That is contrary to the norm which is why I dont have any posts in the first place...I have always been able to find what I need by searching up untill this issue.

Rell
Look in the stickies for parts dealers. Find DaveB and give him a call. He will help you with part numbers, pricing and shipping.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by atl_12_playa

Rell

that was a *very* intelligent post for someone with the username "atl_12_playa"

yes, you can locate the failed cylinder by dropping cylinders. you can confirm that its the coil by swapping coils with an adjacent cylinder, and then performing the cylinder drop test again. if the miss follows the coil, then youve got a coil issue. many however, replace all 6 coils at once, because once one goes, they tend to all go... as im sure youve read.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by magdocjr
Look in the stickies for parts dealers. Find DaveB and give him a call. He will help you with part numbers, pricing and shipping.
Yeah, I came across him during my search and do indeed plan on getting with him. Sounds like a helluva guy and an excellent resource.

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
that was a *very* intelligent post for someone with the username "atl_12_playa"

yes, you can locate the failed cylinder by dropping cylinders. you can confirm that its the coil by swapping coils with an adjacent cylinder, and then performing the cylinder drop test again. if the miss follows the coil, then youve got a coil issue. many however, replace all 6 coils at once, because once one goes, they tend to all go... as im sure youve read.
Thanks for the props. Just tryin to stick to proper etiquette bein I’m startin off as a “thread jackin noob”

I think that is some very sound advice. If funds allow, I will probably just go ahead and change them all so I can make sure I got the bad one and don’t have to worry about the others for a while.

Thank you both for the assistance.

An if any one has or happens upon a written procedure (maybe with pix) on changing the coils/spark plugs, it would be much appreciated. I may just end up divin into it. I don’t think I should have too much trouble…just don’t want to jack sumthin up.

Thanks again.

Rell
Old 11-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Looking for a few good Maximas

This is good.

Definitely made my night.

:LOL: