5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Recommended Clutch (one step above stock)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Sports Button FTW

Recommended Clutch (one step above stock)

As some of u may know, my clutch pedal is harder than me trying to lose to a stock civic hatchback. After many tests and opinions, the final solution is replacing clutch due to a bad pressure plate or something of that sort. I'm obviously going to go to the same shop that says its the clutch to avoid any extra BS.

Now i plan to boost years from now but by then i may be due for a new clutch so for now i want a clutch that can handle the standard bolt ons (headers, catback, intake, etc) but i want my pedal to be as light as humanly possible. I dont mind getting another stock clutch but i fear it cant handle the new additions when they come. Instead if i'm going to replace a properly working clutch, i rather get something different. I'm guessing wit these mods, anything slightly stronger than stock should be enough for me....so....

I need recommendations on a clutch that can handle the power i plan for this car in the next few months but one that wont make the pedal seriously hard. I've driven many clutches and i dont know what to get anymore.

I've driven stage II act clutches that were easier on the leg than an exedy stage I. The softest clutches i've touched were from a stock 2k2 (Guzo) and liqidvenoms (aftermarket stage I, i forget which brand). The stage II i drove was a turboed car with an aftermarket flywheel. i alway sthought the higher the stage, the tougher the clutch pedal but now i'm not sure anymore.

So here's my questions:

Is stock clutch good enough to handle the power of a mid to low 14's car?

If not, what clutch is good enough 4 dat but feels almost identical if not better than stock?

What else can be done to make the pedal easier? braided clutch lines? lightened flywheel? etc?

I'm spending money i dont want to spend, might as well make sure i do it right.

BTW if anyone knows of any shops in jersey or new york with great prices on clutch changes, holla. ( I mean under 400)
Old 11-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Sports Button FTW

anyone at all? i know this has been discussed before but looking for updates now that time has passed, more feedback?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:05 AM

i'd say stock is good, but it seems like you wanna launch and pull your car hard...

so i'd recommend EXEDY stage I or SPEC stage I or II... all of those have "stock" pedal feel but can tolerate more abuse. these are far good enough for bolt ons.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Sports Button FTW

iight, i heard some bad things about spec stage I and II, something about the material...that stage III is the way to go if spec...i had stage II and was happy wit it but pedal feel was a little harder than stock. exedy stage I...i guess that may b the way to go...may ask to feel some cars before doing so...i had it before but i recently felt it and want it softer than that....

if someone can just assure me that stock can handle the normal bolt ons, i'll b happy 2 stay with it...atleast if clutch feels harder than usual, they cant say "tis cause of the clutch"
Old 11-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Driving is the next best thing

Originally Posted by meccanoble
if someone can just assure me that stock can handle the normal bolt ons, i'll b happy 2 stay with it...atleast if clutch feels harder than usual, they cant say "tis cause of the clutch"
from what I heard, our stock clutch should be able to handle anything as long as you are N/A. But that's just maxima.org rumor so I could be wrong.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:25 AM
DONE

I have a spec stage II and i have the basic bolt-ons and a 75 shot of nitrous. clutch holds fine unless i do a lot of runs in a row on spray. The pedal feel to me is lighter then stock and i don't like it much(i like a heavy clutch). it does have a bit of chatter if you don't get it just right, but me wanting to go fast over comfort i don't mind. i like spec, i use it, a buddy of mine uses it in his SR20 powered 240 and likes it, and another buddy uses on in his 420 hp cobra. they hold well and get the power to the ground. i can get a third gear scratch on motor with it, and then on spray it will spin half through third.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

try the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...IT FEELS LIKE STOCk but has more holding power than stock. I had one on my prelude and my mechanic uses it on all his cars. I would get that for my next clutch if I should ever need one.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:35 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

I believe the stock clutch can hold up to 400lb/ft no problems.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by rbrown81
I believe the stock clutch can hold up to 400lb/ft no problems.
as much as i want to believe u, people boost with 250-300 hp and 250-300 tq and have trouble wit the stock clutch. But i dont plan to even be at that power range until i'm boosting so i guess stock is cool.

Centerforce seems to get my attention over all, i dont want chatter and i remember that was big wit my spec stage II. If centerforce doesnt chatter and doesnt cost twice as much as stock i may just run wit that....whats the best price on centerforce right now anyway? also whats best price on stock?

BTW, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!!! i love it.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Hmm, I must have been thinking of the 02/03 clutch.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:54 PM

You don't have good luck with cars macc. BOOST
Old 11-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Sports Button FTW

yea...well i bought this car wit this problem, just was used to it cause of previous cars and also was so happy wit the flawlessness of the car at its mileage.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:58 PM

my act, is very stock feeling. i just passed the break in point, and im told itll get a tad softer in the future. its got my vote, the exedy stage one is supposed to be soft, but i had a badd pp with mine, so it was so soft the pedal barely cam off the floor, act has my vote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:24 PM
VQ Wizard

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....terforce+sucks

If it will fit, and I think it will, use a OE 350Z pressure plate and clutch.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:28 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I got a Exedy Racing Stage 1 on my car and its held up really good so far. I have approx 30K miles on it and so far so good. Its kinda eassy to burn it up- smells nasty, when I am trying to get up on a steep incline from a stop- like on a aligment rack. I can bark 3rd gear with it on my fairly large n sticky 255 width tires. Stay away from ACT HD PPlates, they suck. I've had 2 ACTs in my Max before the Exedy and both of them failed prematurelly- each lasted around 30K. Exedy doesn't chatter at all, and hold up to every bolt on NA power adder you can throw at the engine just fine. ACT chattered quite a bit with my Fidanza flywheel, and Exedy feels like stock with the same Fidanza flywheel. My next clutch will be a Exedy also. Stay away from the cheap OEM repleacement Exedys off Ebay, those are not the same setups as the "Racing" one.

EDIT- ColdSHO where did you get that JIC suspension setup from ? which video game ?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:31 PM
IN IRAQ MAXIMA.ORG-ING :)

get ur self daiken clutch... same as stock... well actually i believe they make em for dealers aroudn the world... they work hand in hand with exedy... i believe they're the subsidary company for america...
Old 12-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Sports Button FTW

yea i remember my exedy stage 1 on my 4th gen never chattered and held well even when supercharged, just slipped after a few runs and that was during the hot summer. Hmm, so u would say exedy feels just as soft as stock?

Best price i found on stock is 189 thanks for friend on here....exedy i see for around 260, best place to find real exedy at best price?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:30 AM

ohhh ur in nj.... even better i bought my clutch on my 240 mmm about 2 years ago.... made by daiken.... same **** as exedy welll same company for like 120.... i no the warehouse if ur up north... i'll show it to u if ur interested...
Old 12-01-2005, 09:21 AM

while ur in there might as well lighten ur flywheel im sure u can ge that done cheap, my fidanza is amazing, but its a lil more extreme than most are looking for. so just lighte ur stock one. esp if u plan on boosting, it shoudl make a big difference. might as well do it now as opposed to haveing to pull the trans again if ur cluthc is still holding which it should.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Sports Button FTW

i cant afford to get a flywheel at this time also, as far ahead as boost is in my cars life, i plan to change my clutch again. and maybe then i'll get the flywheel. for now i just want to solve this hard pedal problem and prepare myself for exhaust mods since thats the only performance mods i'll b doing before boost.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:20 PM
drag racing is for wussies

There is a group deal Throught Import Parts Plus or something like that on the .org. I got my Exedy for 263 from that group deal a year ago- 30K miles, feels like stock, nice and soft. My OEM clutch disk was made by Exedy also Stay away from CenterForce, ACT, Clutchbastards (ClutchMasters) and Spec Stage II. I've had nothing but bad luck with those clutches in my Maxima and my SE-R. I've had the SPEC Stg II in my G20, brand new it slipped like a ****. I swapped in a SR20DET into my G20 and the cheap PepBoys clutch that my G20 came with only held up for a few months and started to slip, I resurfaced my flywheel installed the Spec and went for a ride, as soon as boost kicked in clutch just slipped all the way to redline. I pulled that SOB out the next day and put in a ACT Xtreme that I got really cheap, pedal was supper stiff, but it held up 500WHP
Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Sports Button FTW

just wat i wanted to hear. now i need a shop dats familiar wit feel of exedy so if pedal is still hard they cant bs me and say its the clutch....
Old 12-02-2005, 04:54 AM

take3 it to a nissan dealer and ask em wat they think is ... thats it jus a diagnostics...
Old 12-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by KabirUTA13
take3 it to a nissan dealer and ask em wat they think is ... thats it jus a diagnostics...

they gonna charge 85 bucks for that . Hmm, i guess i'll see how much they charge for clutch change and if its in the 450 ball park, i'll let them diagnose first, but dam i'm sure i can get a clutch job for under 400? i guess time to stop being cheap and just get it done right.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by meccanoble
as much as i want to believe u, people boost with 250-300 hp and 250-300 tq and have trouble wit the stock clutch. But i dont plan to even be at that power range until i'm boosting so i guess stock is cool.

Centerforce seems to get my attention over all, i dont want chatter and i remember that was big wit my spec stage II. If centerforce doesnt chatter and doesnt cost twice as much as stock i may just run wit that....whats the best price on centerforce right now anyway? also whats best price on stock?

BTW, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!!! i love it.
I'm a bit curious as to something about that... Suppose it is true, it can handle 400 ft/lbs torque stock. That would mean taking off with 250-300tq it would hold, but once you reach higher speeds where you have aerodynamic drag pushing against the car, the clutch has to handle a lot more because it's now handling power going from the engine to the tranny AND backforce from the tranny to the engine (from aerodynamic drag slowing down the car trying to prevent the wheels from going faster, which all travels back through the drivetrain), in which case 400 ft/lbs holding capacity suddenly sounds woefully inadequate (but maybe good enough for a stock motor/setup so long as you're not running it above 100-something-MPH consistently)