5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What is responsible for how fast the calipers engage when you press the brakepedal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 11:01 AM

What is responsible for how fast the calipers engage when you press the brakepedal?

Sorry if the title makes no sense at all, but here's my question.

I want to know what is responsible for the response between the brake pedal to the action of calipers and brake pads engaging? I'm asking, because, I'm not to sure about other maximas, but when I press on the brake pedal, like half an inch in, i do not feel my maxima slow down, I would have to continue pressing the brake pedal down even more... In other words, the brake pedal setup (if this is indeed the problem at hand) feels really "slushy", for lack of better terms.

I've driven my friends G35 and Evo, and the braking on those cars are extremely responsive, but I know I shouldn't compare the max to those types of vehicles, but then I recently drove my friends 1997 Galant (bone stock, oem brake setup), and the response of his car's brakes were soooo much more quicker then my maxima. While driving his car, I seemed like a person that never drove a car before in my life, because of the sensitivity of his brakes, and the fact that I am so used to my "slushy", less responsive brakes on the max.

Is this normal? I took my car to my mechanic just to check the brakes out on the car, and he told me that everything looks fine (he just poked his head in around the area of the rotors and calipers), and that I still have plenty of pad left and rotors were also fine. He also bled out the brake lines (he loosened something at the calipers, brake fluid was dripping out), but I didn't feel a difference at all. I am alittle ticked off that the 1997 galant's brakes were so crisp compared to my maxima. So what is responsible for the response between the brake pedal to the actual braking action of the car?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

You probably need to bleed your brakes.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:58 PM

i believe it is the actuator valve, and it is the piston in the caliper that moves, not the caliper itself. there is one other valve but i don't recollect what it's called. one that makes sure ur rear brakes engage before ur fronts, and remember ur ABS system could have an effect, though u dont need ABS for braking. if ur ABS light isn't on theres nothing wrong with the system. yes, bleed the brakes. if it feels spongy, u got air in it. simple process, might need someone to help u.
process: pump brakes three times and hold pedal all teh way down, loosen bleeder valve and see the brake fluid squirt out; if it doesn't repeat until it does.
tighten bleeder valve, and release brake pedal S-L-O-W-L-Y, for fluid to go back on to reservoir, (don't remember what reservoir, but believe me) and repeat.