5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car broken into... Ground kit might have helped

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:16 PM

Car broken into... Ground kit might have helped

Sometime between 2:30pm and 4:30pm today my car got broken into in my apartment parking structure. Around 4:30 the office at the apartment called me to tell me so i went up there and the driver's side rear door was open and the hood was open. They broke the driver's side rear door window and bent the crap out of the door pillar on that door. They also cut the negative cable off my battery, one of the wires of my grounding kit, and the power wire to my subs off the + terminal. Surprisingly, NOTHING was gone. Subs were there, deck faceplate still in glove box, V1 still on windshield. I'm guessing when they broke the window or opened the door the alarm went off and thats why they tried to cut the battery cables... but thanks to my grounding kit, cutting the negative cable didnt do anything, so they probably panicked and cut a wire off the ground kit and the red wire on the + terminal (subs) just to try to make the alarm stop. Anyway the ground kit really helped because i was able to start the car and drive it out of the lot to the tow truck (ceilings too low for the truck to pick me up). Theyre gonna drop it off at a body shop first thing tomorrow morning... great timing cuz i have a final tomorrow morning and im supposed to drive back to san francisco on sunday. ugh... wish me luck
Old 12-16-2005, 08:56 PM

So with the - cable cut off the battery, how was the system grounded? YOu should still need a negative connection to the battery shouldnt you? Doesnt the grounding kit just run from the battery to the chasis?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by silverx
So with the - cable cut off the battery, how was the system grounded? YOu should still need a negative connection to the battery shouldnt you? Doesnt the grounding kit just run from the battery to the chasis?
I think you just answered your own question...unless I'm not understanding something correctly. But that does raise an interesting idea: decoy wires to confuse thieves.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:33 PM

well where does the negative cable from the battery go then?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Sports Button FTW

everyone doesnt ground their system from the battery. In fact mine is grounded to a bolt in the back of the car near the rear seat.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey, sorry about your car. If I could I would install a 100,000 volt discharge on mine. Anybody touching my Maxima for any reason would get shocked, no exceptions, lol. Btw, I like yout xenon lights. What brand are they? Also, did you loose the Hi/Lo function with them? thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
everyone doesnt ground their system from the battery. In fact mine is grounded to a bolt in the back of the car near the rear seat.
well my amp is grounded back there, yea

Originally Posted by meccanoble
Hey, sorry about your car. If I could I would install a 100,000 volt discharge on mine. Anybody touching my Maxima for any reason would get shocked, no exceptions, lol. Btw, I like yout xenon lights. What brand are they? Also, did you loose the Hi/Lo function with them? thanks
haha if only... about the sig, its an old pic, back when i had these "koba" brand xenons off ebay. I didnt lose the high/low but they do burn out really quickly... not recommended, although they do look nice.