5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

catalytic converters and Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:33 AM
SandSpit

catalytic converters and Sirius

Hello,

I need to replace my bank 2 catalytic converter. Dealership wants $855.00 to replace this... It seems to me that an cutting the old cat out and replacing with an aftermarket cat is the more economical way to go. My question is this: Where can I buy an aftermarket cat that will pass CA smog testing?

Also, I want to install Sirius. Has anyone installed between the sunroof and windshield? It seems the back window would be better. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Chad

Old 12-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not sure what CA's emission testing is like. But, as I understand it the pre-cats (that's what you are talking about) really only have any impact while the main cat is warming up.

Presumably, if you take the car in when it is warmed up and have wiped the codes so the check engine light isn't on - you might skate. Unless, they are far more advanced than what we USED to have here in Florida.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:16 AM

Can't answer your question about the cats but I can about the Sirius. I am in the process of installing a Sirius in my car... driving around with no back seat or center console. I'm putting it between the rearview mirror and the roof. It's a tight fit but it will work. The antenna is on the trunk lid... with the wire running through the trim above the passenger side of the car. I'll have some pics soon.

Oh yeah... what kind did you get????
Old 12-19-2005, 09:27 AM

Oh, and as for the Sirius - I have the antenna sitting on the dash behind the clock. It is tied down with velcro along with the sunpass unit for tolls. Don't seem to have any reception problems.

As for putting the sirius unit itself between the rearview and the roof - it seems it will be harder to view and change channels there.

If you have it mounted in your line of sight with the road - it's much easier to pay attention. I just use the remote control - keep it next to the stick and just pick it up and change channels.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by SandSpit
Hello,

I need to replace my bank 2 catalytic converter. Dealership wants $855.00 to replace this... It seems to me that an cutting the old cat out and replacing with an aftermarket cat is the more economical way to go. My question is this: Where can I buy an aftermarket cat that will pass CA smog testing?
That is a front pre-cat, I'm pretty sure that there are no aftermarket options for those, although you might be able use an O2 simulator to get rid of the CEL.

There is some discussion of that in this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=pre-cat
Old 12-19-2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
As for putting the sirius unit itself between the rearview and the roof - it seems it will be harder to view and change channels there.
I tried it there but found the light from the unit (even on the lowest setting) was very distracting while driving at night. When I drive at night I like the panel lights at a very low light setting... helps me see better on these back roads here in PA.