5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A6 2.7T vs Max 2k1 5pd

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 12:56 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Didn't that Audi run a 13.5@107+mph 1/4-mile on that run? I think he dumped the clutch WAY to high and screwed it up. If my Max had AWD/bi-turbos, I too would have burned the clutch that night. My clutch hasn't been the same since that night either. It was a nice car, but for close to $50K, I'd buy a new M3/540i or C5.
Well from the looks of it the S4 6spd is the best bargain then I would say the M3 then the A6 2.7TT (if you needed a bigger car and are doing the mods for sure). The S4 fully loaded is $61KCDN - $40KUS list...throw on the chip and exhaust right away for around $2100US and you have a 320HP machine. The M3 looks the best and is just an amazing car to drive and to look at! Vettes don't make sense at all when you can have an M3. I also agree with the guy who mentioned the Max 5pd against the Audi A6...from a stand still yes the audi might beat the Modded Max by a tiny bit but rolling or on the highway I can't see the A6 passing the modded Max. I personally think the AE Max looks way better than an A6. I like the A6 since it is such a sleeper, can be modded to insane power, has style potential with lowering, lights, and rims.

Old 06-08-2001, 07:06 AM
JimW

Well, I agree to disagree-->

Originally posted by PhatGuy

Well from the looks of it the S4 6spd is the best bargain then I would say the M3 then the A6 2.7TT (if you needed a bigger car and are doing the mods for sure). The S4 fully loaded is $61KCDN - $40KUS list...throw on the chip and exhaust right away for around $2100US and you have a 320HP machine. The M3 looks the best and is just an amazing car to drive and to look at! Vettes don't make sense at all when you can have an M3. I also agree with the guy who mentioned the Max 5pd against the Audi A6...from a stand still yes the audi might beat the Modded Max by a tiny bit but rolling or on the highway I can't see the A6 passing the modded Max. I personally think the AE Max looks way better than an A6. I like the A6 since it is such a sleeper, can be modded to insane power, has style potential with lowering, lights, and rims.
But hey, I've been where you are already. I've driven and raced both cars. You should keep on finding them to race, and you'll find out soon enough. A Max with lite mods (Y-pipe and intake) will lose to an A6 2.7T 6 spd. An auto 2.7T would be a closer match, but a 6 spd will easily dispatch a 5 spd Max with the afforementioned mods.
I will also note that you won't find many folk with 2.7T's to race you. Most of the drivers know the performance of the car, and they won't even bother. Not to be rude, but I know the abilities of my car, and I turn down more races that I take. Why bother racing an Acura 3.2TL when I know that I can lay him to waste before the top of first gear? I don't race 528 Bimmer's either, not worth the gas. It may sound arrogant, but it's true.
Other car's I've raced:

GS400's- There are tons of them where I live, raced about 7-8 altogther. I've beaten them all. Most are about 1.5-2 carlengths behind by the top of 3rd gear (about 100, or the approximate end of a 1/4 mile)

BMW 540's- Raced about 5-6 of them. The autos don't stand a chance of winning, but they run just a tad slower than the GS400's. The sticks that I've run are very close indeed. One stick I had by only 3/4 carlength (his nose at the rear edge of my rear door) The other I had by just under 1/2 car. (his nose was about at my drivers side door) 540's are a very good match indeed, and if I'm not on the ball, they could easily take me out.

Pontiac GTP's- Pretty quick, but once out of the hole, they don't have much else left. The auto tranny, and gobs of supercharged torque get them off the line faster than I thought they could. On the street, I actually had one pull 1/2 car on me off the line. (I've only got 2.7liters, unless I launch to build boost, my 60' times will suck. Look at my sig, my 60' times are horrible for a car with over 250 hp and awd, I haven't gotten the hang of launching perfectly yet)

MB CLK 430- Now, for some reason, this guy gave me a run for the money. The car had an exhaust, and maybe some other mods, the owner didn't elaborate. But it was faster than all the other mentioned cars. We raced from a standstill to about 110, then on the roll to about 90, then again from a standstill.
On the standing start, I got him good off the line. Put about 1.5-2 cars on him. When I shifted second, he started gaining. He pulled back to under 1 carlength. I couldn't believe it!! Once I shifted 3rd, I was holding him off. He couldn't gain, I couldn't pull. I stayed about 7/8 carlength until I backed out. On the rolling start, it was a different story. From 30 mph, I pulled slightly. In second gear, he pulled back dead even. When I shifted third, we were both in lock step. Trading the lead of about 8-12 inches or so.

MB S500- Very quick indeed, had a race with one. An older gentleman and his wife. Me with the missus with me. Had him by about 1 car to 60, about 3/4 car to 80. If we continued to over 100, he would've eaten me up. That car lagged behind me at the start, but started clawing his way up to me.

MB S600 (new style)- I figured you only live once. At a stoplight just before the entrance ramp to the local expwy. He took off smartly. I followed. He saw me following, and got rather annoyed by that. He stomped the go pedal. I saw a puff of black smoke. I stomped the go pedal. He put 3-4 cars on me from 30-80. Once on the highway, I rolled up alongside. I floored, he floored. He went from 60-100 in the time it took me to go 60-80. That car is an animal on the top end.

Old 06-08-2001, 11:07 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Well, I agree to disagree-->

Originally posted by JimW

But hey, I've been where you are already. I've driven and raced both cars. You should keep on finding them to race, and you'll find out soon enough. A Max with lite mods (Y-pipe and intake) will lose to an A6 2.7T 6 spd. An auto 2.7T would be a closer match, but a 6 spd will easily dispatch a 5 spd Max with the afforementioned mods.
I will also note that you won't find many folk with 2.7T's to race you. Most of the drivers know the performance of the car, and they won't even bother. Not to be rude, but I know the abilities of my car, and I turn down more races that I take. Why bother racing an Acura 3.2TL when I know that I can lay him to waste before the top of first gear? I don't race 528 Bimmer's either, not worth the gas. It may sound arrogant, but it's true.
Other car's I've raced:

GS400's- There are tons of them where I live, raced about 7-8 altogther. I've beaten them all. Most are about 1.5-2 carlengths behind by the top of 3rd gear (about 100, or the approximate end of a 1/4 mile)

BMW 540's- Raced about 5-6 of them. The autos don't stand a chance of winning, but they run just a tad slower than the GS400's. The sticks that I've run are very close indeed. One stick I had by only 3/4 carlength (his nose at the rear edge of my rear door) The other I had by just under 1/2 car. (his nose was about at my drivers side door) 540's are a very good match indeed, and if I'm not on the ball, they could easily take me out.

Pontiac GTP's- Pretty quick, but once out of the hole, they don't have much else left. The auto tranny, and gobs of supercharged torque get them off the line faster than I thought they could. On the street, I actually had one pull 1/2 car on me off the line. (I've only got 2.7liters, unless I launch to build boost, my 60' times will suck. Look at my sig, my 60' times are horrible for a car with over 250 hp and awd, I haven't gotten the hang of launching perfectly yet)

MB CLK 430- Now, for some reason, this guy gave me a run for the money. The car had an exhaust, and maybe some other mods, the owner didn't elaborate. But it was faster than all the other mentioned cars. We raced from a standstill to about 110, then on the roll to about 90, then again from a standstill.
On the standing start, I got him good off the line. Put about 1.5-2 cars on him. When I shifted second, he started gaining. He pulled back to under 1 carlength. I couldn't believe it!! Once I shifted 3rd, I was holding him off. He couldn't gain, I couldn't pull. I stayed about 7/8 carlength until I backed out. On the rolling start, it was a different story. From 30 mph, I pulled slightly. In second gear, he pulled back dead even. When I shifted third, we were both in lock step. Trading the lead of about 8-12 inches or so.

MB S500- Very quick indeed, had a race with one. An older gentleman and his wife. Me with the missus with me. Had him by about 1 car to 60, about 3/4 car to 80. If we continued to over 100, he would've eaten me up. That car lagged behind me at the start, but started clawing his way up to me.

MB S600 (new style)- I figured you only live once. At a stoplight just before the entrance ramp to the local expwy. He took off smartly. I followed. He saw me following, and got rather annoyed by that. He stomped the go pedal. I saw a puff of black smoke. I stomped the go pedal. He put 3-4 cars on me from 30-80. Once on the highway, I rolled up alongside. I floored, he floored. He went from 60-100 in the time it took me to go 60-80. That car is an animal on the top end.
I know I should bite my tongue on this and you will think I am a azzhole but someone has to say it/ask it:

1. Don't you ever lose? Other than a s600 on the highway? You mention no loses at all other than a car pulling a lil here and there... you race more than YJ.

2. You drive you car perfectly every single time under different road conditions? You never miss a gear? You always launch perfectly? You always shift perfect? You always brake perfect? You always corner perfect?

3. Have you raced a 2k Maxima with y-pipe and cai 5pd from roll, highway or on the streets at all? You mentioned a guy with a Max at the track who ran high 14's with "bad traction"...doesn't that tell you anything? Especially since your personal best time ever was only 14.4 once?

4. The GTP comment made me laugh "I only have 2.7L" not to mention two turbos..you were racing a much less expensive car and you only mention the "only 2.7" in a race where you lost the take off. I beat a GTP from start through 4 gears and I don't have a y-pipe on yet.

5. I guess M3 drivers must have the same attitude to you "not wanting to waste gas" let alone tons of other cars on the road. You have no mention of them....

6. How about a 5.9L Jeep in your red light races?

7. Are all these races just straight line stuff...no corners?

8. All these "races" were the other drivers aware they were in a race before you took off at the line? How do you know if they are auto or manual if you are always ahead of them?

9. How long are all of these races? Red light to red light? 1.5 gears? No offence but a 6spd 540 would pull on you at around 80mph on no question in my mind.

10. I think your car is great but I think you over estimate it big time. If you put some mods on then I would not question anything you have mentioned.

You drive your car very hard I really hope it doesn't end up in the shop a lot. I hope you sell it before you warranty runs out....as we all know Audi ain't cheap to fix. I will be driving one early next week so I will let it rip for sure. Are you dropping the clutch at certain RPM? I'm not trying to be an azzhole but putting some things in perspective. Is there nothing wrong with you car at all and you never lose races (considering how much racing you do)?

Old 06-08-2001, 12:52 PM
JimW

Re: Re: Well, I agree to disagree-->

1. To be honest with you, no. I don't lose very often. Usually when I go against another car the I know will kill me. I did lose to a new Mustang GT about a month ago. What can I tell you? I only race cars that I think that will be a good matchup.

2. Not to sound arrogant, but I do. I'm a more than skilled driver, both at straight line acceleration, and in apex carving. I've got far more experience at the drags. I've been running my cars down the 1/4 since 1992. Each and every car I've owned since then has run down the 1/4 several times. The A6 to date has only made 5 runs, so I'm pretty sure that I can squeeze some better numbers out of it. I just need some more practice. I almost never miss a gear, I tend to be even more focused when racing.

3. Yea, I raced a 2k Max with a Y-pipe and intake before. ON the streets. A few times. I was behind him at a light, we both accelerated away normally. I pulled to his right to pass him when we cleared other traffic. He floored it, I floored it. From say 30-90 I outran him, simple as that. I put about 3-4 cars on him. We then raced at the next light from a standing start. I blew him away.
On the track, my best was a 14.4, followed immediately by a 14.51, then another 14.4, this time a 14.46. So, it wasn't a one time thing, it was more like 3 runs back to back.

4. So you mean to tell me that you don't understand how a 3.8l motor with a supercharger can make more power down low than a 2.7l turbocharged motor, that's not near it's torque peak. Do you have any idea how quick GTP's can be in stock form? Check it out. Then check out how with 240hp and about 600lbs less weight, they can leap off the line quicker than I? Unless I've got the revs up to about 2000rpm, I will leave the line like a slug. Plain and simple. You beat a GTP through 4 gears, I didn't. He pulled about 1/2 car on me from the start, because I didn't launch like I was going all out, I was ready for a slow roll launch (i.e clutch engaged in 1st gear, rolling at about 15 mph) He got the jump on me, plain and simple.

5. No comment on M3 owners. But I know several other owners of 2.7T's pretty well. They mention the same thing that I do. Most times they don't want to be bothered with racing a car that they feel is slower than theirs. I didn't say that, they did.

6. Never came across a 5.9 Jeep (TSI or whatever they call it) at a light. Saw a few in the dealer though.

7. I've had a few corner carving sessions. But not many people will try to drive hard through the twisties. I love it, however. I routinely attack the 2 lanes in my area. I'm actually pretty scared to race an unknown person on a 2 lane, curving road. I have no idea what their skill level is. It's just asking for trouble.

8. I'm pretty sure they were racing. From the way they accelerate I would think so. How did you know the 2.7 you raced was racing you? You never know for sure, but you have a pretty good idea when someone is cruising or their trying to race you. Also, I KNOW that GS400's are all automatics, same with 540ia (the a means automatic) When you approach a car in traffic, and he's driving in front of you (or next to you for that matter) you can tell if it's a stick or not. I don't just pull up to a light next to a hot car and it's on. You tend to be in traffic for a little bit, and jusding from the way the driver pilots his car, you have an idea if they're a racing type. Have you ever seen a S500 in stick? How about a CLK430? Or a GTP?

9. I live in Staten Island, NY. We have a main "drag" called Hylan Blvd. It runs through some residential areas, some commercial areas and some downright forest type areas. The road is a minimum of 2 lanes wide, and in most places it has a center median/divider. In the more openareas where all the racing happens, the lights are often 1/2 mile or even 3/4 mile apart. You've never done light to light racing before? When at the strip, I run through the traps in the top of 3rd gear, speedo kissing 100 mph, right at redline. If I run to the top of 3rd gear on the street, I know that from a standing start,I've covered just about a 1/4 mile. A few other people thought that a 540 6 spd should beat me, but for some reason the few that I've raced didn't. I then frequented Bimmer.org. I found a few websites for some 540 6 spd times. The best time I saw for a stock 540 was 14.6. A few other guys ran 14.5-14.3, but they all had chips and/or exhausts. Obviously, the ones I raced were all stock, or they would've had me for lunch.

10. Thanks, I think it's a great car, for me. It's not the best in the world, but I'm happy with it.You've got to realize another thing. To date, I've got the quickest stock 2.7T that I've seen (and I'm talking timeslips as actual proof) Motor trend just ran one to a 14.49 in the 1/4, but I'm a little bit skeptical of Motor Trends testing methods. It should be obvious that I'm not just an average joe-schmo driver. I've definitely got some better than average skills when it comes to running my car through the 1/4 mile. The next best timeslip for a bone stock 2.7 that I've seen was 14.7.
I went through this last year with another guy on this BBS. I raced and beat several GS400's and he swore up and down that I was lying. He challenged me to a race. I declined, saying that I don't need to race him, just against the clock. He went to E-town, ran a 14.6. I went to e-town, ran a 14.7. I was varying from my regular street routine, so I went back to the track 2 weeks later. I ran the three runs that I mentioned above. Based upon his 14.6, I would be a full 2 cars ahead of him. Now, put that similar performance on the street. With variables in traction and driver skill. Me having better traction, and higher skill, would easily pull out a win on another driver in a car with marginal traction, and a less skilled driver.
The key to a awesome launch in the 2.7T is mixing the right amount of throttle with clutch slip. Since you can't spin the wheels more than a chirp, and the traction control will kick in if you do, you want to stay out of that area if possible. On the strip, I launch at 3500-4000rpm, with quickslip of the clutch. You release the clutch in one movement, without pausing. The clutch is fully engaged by the time the car has moved about 1 carlength. At the same time, you are going WOT. The car will leave so hard that you will be pinned to the seat. I did this at the track one time. It was "the perfect launch", I pulled off a 1.95 60' time. I was well on my way to a very, very low 14 et. Then I missed 3rd gear. I got pumped up, and missed the 3rd gear shift. I went through the traps in 14.7 @ 94 mph.
Audi's aren't cheap to fix, but I never abuse the car. I drive it WOT a lot, but I let it warm up/cool down slowly. I don't overheat the clutch, nor try to abuse the drivetrain by dropping the clutch at 5000rpm either (which I haveseen firsthand will reduce the et's of these cars .2-.3 seconds)
You seem a bit mad that I'm telling you that a 5th gen with basic mods can't outrun a stock 2.7T 6 spd. Don't be. I for one have raced many other cars and won. I win more than I lose, that's just the way it is. What we're doing here is "bench racing", go to a track, and run some numbers. I've already done that. Have you ever run your car at the track? If you haven't, you'll be surprised to see how hard it really is. Much harder than running on the street. What usually is fastest on the street may not be fastest on the track. It just happens that way.

Now, when you drive one, make sure it's a 6 spd. The tip and 6 spd are totally different animals. Engage the clutch in first gear, normally. With the engine at idle. Then stomp on the throttle. See how long it takes for the boost to hit. When it hits, then concentrate on pulling off a second gear upshift. But make it a fast upshift, because if you're too slow, the stock bypass valves will let the boost fall off, and when you open the throttle in the next gear, you get lots of lag. (this I have learned from experience) Now do the same going to 3rd gear (much harder to do, the shift is kinda long) and before you know it, you're at the end of the1/4. Keep in mind that a new engine isn't as strong as a broken-in one.

To sum it all up, I'm done with this thread, it's getting too long. I just told you from the start, that a 5th gen with basic mods and 5 spd couldn't beat a 2.7T 6spd (stock) Then all this other stuff cropped up. You don't have to believe me, that's ok. You should find a NYC member with a 5spd 2k with those mods, and tell them to see me. Maybe we can do something.

Old 06-08-2001, 03:50 PM
PhatGuy

I'm not mad at all....I think this thread is kinda funny actually. You should be a professional driver since you never lose! Your right track times don't lie and we have had Maxima 2K 5spd drivers do your times and better with simple mods. As for the 2k max you said you raced how do you know what mods he has while driving down the street? I find it IMPOSSIBLE for you to pull 3-4 car lengths on 2k+ Maxima "5spd" with Intake and Y-Pipe between 30-90MPH. Assuming the Maxima driver was in proper gear at the time, WOT at same time, and he/she shifted near redline in 2nd that to me is IMPOSSIBLE with your stock car. I would bet money on that! Anyone in NYC with a 5pd 2k+ Max, Y-Pipe and Intake wanna run him exactly how he mentioned?

PS I think a stock 225HP normally aspirated BMW 330 manual would beat you as well.

Old 06-13-2001, 10:34 AM
JimW

Hmmm, sure got quiet after this post--->

I'm not mad at all....I think this thread is kinda funny actually. You should be a professional driver since you never lose! Your right track times don't lie and we have had Maxima 2K 5spd drivers do your times and better with simple mods. As for the 2k max you said you raced how do you know what mods he has while driving down the street? I find it IMPOSSIBLE for you to pull 3-4 car lengths on 2k+ Maxima "5spd" with Intake and Y-Pipe between 30-90MPH. Assuming the Maxima driver was in proper gear at the time, WOT at same time, and he/she shifted near redline in 2nd that to me is IMPOSSIBLE with your stock car. I would bet money on that! Anyone in NYC with a 5pd 2k+ Max, Y-Pipe and Intake wanna run him exactly how he mentioned?

PS I think a stock 225HP normally aspirated BMW 330 manual would beat you as well.

Anyone in NYC with a 5pd 2k+ Max, Y-Pipe and Intake wanna run him exactly how he mentioned?

Guess not everyone feels the way you do.

You think that? Ok. Just because you *think* it doesn't mean anything in this case.

Old 06-13-2001, 11:00 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Hmmm, sure got quiet after this post--->

Anyone in NYC with a 5pd 2k+ Max, Y-Pipe and Intake wanna run him exactly how he mentioned?

Guess not everyone feels the way you do.

You think that? Ok. Just because you *think* it doesn't mean anything in this case.
Your back again on this?? (your almost as bad as some of these Acura CL-S guys....give it a rest! Ok then! Here we go..........

First off you really want to do this you should post in the General and 5th Gen forums to set this nonesense up. Call out the NYC Maxima drivers with half decent mods. 5spds, Y-pipe, intake and 5th gen. Do you still think that your car STOCK (A6 6pd TT and expensive and not in the shop I hope) can beat a 5th Gen 5spd, Y-Pipe, Intake from 30mph-90mph by four (4) car lengths? (what size cars are we talking here...Limos? Hot Wheels?)Come on guy everyone knows your car has good 1/4mile time because of the start 0-30mph. You will probably throw a $700 chip on there just to be sure you get your win. Honestly I really don't care because just like the CL-S people they talk a lot and keep talking about how great their car is..blah blah blah.. This net talk stuff is getting tired. Just go to the track like you have been and try to better your times and give yourself at pat on the back if you do. (seriously). I still think your car stock would at best be even or probably lose to the modded 5th gen in question. As I said before I respect the A6 6pd but you have to put some mods on it to be impressive especially since it is so expensive. Alot of these arguments are becoming really gay and childish. You really like racing your car a lot and think it is the fastest thing around (you have only lost once) so go the track and run it. Take care and have a nice day!

PS Less expensive 330ci would beat you and a S4 would destroy you as well.

Old 06-13-2001, 11:02 AM

how do you burn a clutch?

After reading about that guy that ran a 13.5 and how he burnt his clutch. Some one mentioned that having bi-turbos and AWD helped in burning the clutch.

But I thought you only burn the clutch when you ride on the clutch?
Old 06-13-2001, 11:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: how do you burn a clutch?

With AWD, launching hard is very hard on the clutch and drivetrain. Something has to give, if your lucky, it's the clutch disc and not the tranny or drive axles. Think of this 2x the available grip is available at launch time.

Originally posted by Mugen13
After reading about that guy that ran a 13.5 and how he burnt his clutch. Some one mentioned that having bi-turbos and AWD helped in burning the clutch.

But I thought you only burn the clutch when you ride on the clutch?
Old 06-13-2001, 11:32 AM

Re: Uhh, not really, my best was a 14.4-->

I just don't see too many stock Max's running close to 14.5's. Stock we're talking here.
You wont see many modded ones (without spedning massive amounts of $$) running that ET either. The only way I was able to run the time/speed I did was because the track was prepped well and it was 53 F outside. In the summertime heat and humidity, Ill bet I'd be lucky to run 14.7-14.8. Ill be heading to the track again sometime soon in the heat and see what happens.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:45 AM

A friend of mine has one of these with a slightly smaller s/c pulley (which I gave him) and ran a 14.32 @96. Not too shabby for what it is. He raced an S4 from about 60-110 and was dead even. Ive driven his car many times and Im pretty sure it would walk my Max. But, dont tell him I said that

I raced one of these (an S600 with the AMG package, I have no idea what was done to it) when I had my VW (which was supercharged among other things). Talk about a high speed race! We went from a stop to over 160 mph. He left first (about 5-6 cars ahead) and I didnt catch him until a little over 100. I kept in it until an indicated 160 mph and was ahead by quite a margin. (I was tempted to see if I would redline 5th gear, but at this point I was sweating so bad my hands were slippery! But, the revs were still rising.....) I hit the brakes (saw a car about 1/2 mile ahead), but this crazy SOB stayed in it and blew by me at something around 150 mph. I never saw him again, thank god. But, I do have to say he was laughing as I was passing him on the way up to speed.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:47 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Uhh, not really, my best was a 14.4-->

Originally posted by madmax2k

You wont see many modded ones (without spedning massive amounts of $$) running that ET either. The only way I was able to run the time/speed I did was because the track was prepped well and it was 53 F outside. In the summertime heat and humidity, Ill bet I'd be lucky to run 14.7-14.8. Ill be heading to the track again sometime soon in the heat and see what happens.
Dayum brother that is an awesome time! And on your stock tires! That is better than our friend's TWIN TURBO AWD expensive car. Times don't lie! How do you launch your 5pd?

Old 06-13-2001, 11:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Uhh, not really, my best was a 14.4-->

Dayum brother that is an awesome time! And on your stock tires! That is better that our friend's TWIN TURBO car. Times don't lie! How do you launch your 5pd?
4500 rpm and slipping the clutch as fast as possible while retaining traction.

On the same track, and the same day, driven equally, Im sure a twin turbo anything (Im assuming 300ZX or Supra) would put a whipping on me.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:54 AM

Ooops...I missed the saracasm (and the associated AWD comment). Im a little slow today

Im sure the AWD Audi would run consistently lower ET's in a variety of less than ideal conditions. The FWD Max needs perfect conditions to run that ET.

On the highway, the Max will be a good match. AWD is a terrible hindrance at speed. Ive raced some AWD DSMs from a roll. A friend has one that ran 13.4@99 mph and from 15 mph roll, I walked away (very slowly). From a standstill at the track, Id need a telescope to to even read his license plate by the 1/8th mile point. Out of the hole, they are gone (high 1.6 to low 1.7 sec 60 fts on stock tires.)
Old 06-13-2001, 12:03 PM
JimW

Re: Re: Hmmm, sure got quiet after this post--->

Your back again on this?? (your almost as bad as some of these Acura CL-S guys....give it a rest! Ok then! Here we go..........

First off you really want to do this you should post in the General and 5th Gen forums to set this nonesense up. Call out the NYC Maxima drivers with half decent mods. 5spds, Y-pipe, intake and 5th gen. Do you still think that your car STOCK (A6 6pd TT and expensive and not in the shop I hope) can beat a 5th Gen 5spd, Y-Pipe, Intake from 30mph-90mph by four (4) car lengths? (what size cars are we talking here...Limos? Hot Wheels?)Come on guy everyone knows your car has good 1/4mile time because of the start 0-30mph. You will probably throw a $700 chip on there just to be sure you get your win. Honestly I really don't care because just like the CL-S people they talk a lot and keep talking about how great their car is..blah blah blah.. This net talk stuff is getting tired. Just go to the track like you have been and try to better your times and give yourself at pat on the back if you do. (seriously). I still think your car stock would at best be even or probably lose to the modded 5th gen in question. As I said before I respect the A6 6pd but you have to put some mods on it to be impressive especially since it is so expensive. Alot of these arguments are becoming really gay and childish. You really like racing your car a lot and think it is the fastest thing around (you have only lost once) so go the track and run it. Take care and have a nice day!

PS Less expensive 330ci would beat you and a S4 would destroy you as well.

Blah,blah, blah. There's no big arguement here, just a good old fashioned debate. I'm not saying half of what you say I am. You posted that you raced a 2.7T. You then said that a 2K could beat my car in the 1/4,and on the roll.
YOu then decide to pull all the other cars that you "think" could beat my car in a 1/4 mile,and on the roll. You did so, even just below. Who cares that a 330I "could" outrun my car, or even an S4. Common sense would tell you that an S4 would, it has the same power/weight ratio, and weighs about 300 lbs less. BTW, on a roll, the S4 and 2.7T are almost a dead heat. Weight aside, it's just HP vs aerodynamics, which is almost dead even on the two cars. Both cars have identical gearing, but supposedly the 2.7T has a slightly more aggressive programming in it's throttle (DBW here) to give it slightly better throttle response than the S4.
I could care less about what other cars you think are faster than mine. My only concern was the 2k with y-pipe and intake, that YOU mentioned. It seems that you know that it won't happen, so you throw up other cars that are faster.
I don't need topost up a challenge, because I don't care that much about it. I know exactly how quick my car is, and I have seen a few 5th gens that are pretty darn quick also. I'm not taking anything away from those guys, they've got a good thing going, and I say to stick with it, because I've always been a 5th gen fan. I've raced an exact same car you're talking about (at least the owner said he had those mods on it) and he lost by the margin I told you, simple as that. This thread is only as childish and as gay as you make it. Quote:" I still think your car stock would at best be even or probably lose to the modded 5th gen in question. " Once again the operative word here is think. You go run YOUR car at the track,and we'll be comparing apples to apples, here. Just the straight facts (numbers) will speak the truth.
You want to drop it, fine. It's dropped. Just keep your "thoughts" where they belong, in your head. You can voice your thoughts, but then eventually, someone has to put fact behind the theory, to make it law.
Did I ever pull up other cars that could beat a modded 5th gen? No. I'm comparing your car to mine, not making any other generalizations.
It was fun debating with you, and you too have a nice day. Anytime you're in the area, look me up, and we'll race for fun.

Old 06-13-2001, 12:06 PM
PhatGuy

End of story..Please!!!

'00 Audi A6 2.7T 6 spd.
Two Turbos, no waiting.
Best e.t. 14.41 @ 94.99 mph
2.01 60 ft. time
Best mph 14.51 @ 96.45 mph
2.3 60 ft time

VS

2000 Max SE 5 speed "Mad Max"
Cattman SS Y-pipe, Place Racing CAI, Stock 17's Potenzas
9.25@75.82 / 14.38@96.62 (2.13)

I am still wondering how he (JimW) can pull 4 car lengths to 90mph from 30mph with a stock A6??

I hope this will end.....again?

Oh and please show me where I said I raced an A6 in my original post??

"I was driving home on the highway today when a 2.7T flew up behind me (I was doing about 140km/hr). So I moved over to the right lane to let him by so he rolls along side and I see him checking out my car...nothing special really..I have a silver AE with Piaa Plats in both clear side markers, head lamps and fogs and blue painted calipers. (no lowering or body kit). So I say to myself "well lets see what I can do?" so I drop it down from 5th to 3rd and WOT to 6400 and keep on hammering it through 4th and got a nice jump on him and got myself a nice path two cars in front of him. Wasn't really a race but more of trying to bait this guy to see what his car could do. On the highway having a fast car is nice but the path is 90% of it. How fast are those 2.7T bad boyz anyways?"

Old 06-13-2001, 12:17 PM

I din't read every post so i may say some things someone else did. The audi 2.6tt wheather auto(which is a 5speed) or manual 6 speed is fast as ***** stock. And for 450 bucks there is a chip that will add 40 hp. Ya can't beat the price for 40 hp. That 40 hp with the 6 speed put 0-60 with in about 5.4-5.6 depending how you drive. I'd love to have bought the audi. But it was either mod a car alot or buy a phat stocker and i can't do that.
Old 06-13-2001, 12:18 PM

Re: End of story..Please!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PhatGuy
[B]'00 Audi A6 2.7T 6 spd.
Two Turbos, no waiting.
2.01 60 ft. time
2.3 60 ft time

VS

I am still wondering how he (JimW) can pull 4 car lengths to 90mph from 30mph with a stock A6??

I hope this will end.....again?

God I hope so! What's the longest thread of all time. I'm sorry, did I say longest I meant most pointless. This thing means nothing if nobody races or posts actual time slips.
Old 06-13-2001, 12:20 PM
JimW

Larry's post says it all. I pulled my times on a very slippery launch pad. Less than ideal, but good enough for comparison sakes. His was on a perfectly prepared launch pad.
He feels that on a highway roll, a modded 5th gen would be a good race. OK, he has some experience at it. The one I raced wasn't a good match. That's all there is to it.
I personally don't feel that AWD is as big a hinderance as people think. But hey, that's my opinion. My car also isn't stock anymore, BPV's and intake make a difference in this case. But hey, I promised to drop this, and I will.

Old 06-13-2001, 12:25 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: End of story..Please!!!

Larry's post says it all. I pulled my times on a very slippery launch pad. Less than ideal, but good enough for comparison sakes. His was on a perfectly prepared launch pad.
He feels that on a highway roll, a modded 5th gen would be a good race. OK, he has some experience at it. The one I raced wasn't a good match. That's all there is to it.
I personally don't feel that AWD is as big a hinderance as people think. But hey, that's my opinion. My car also isn't stock anymore, BPV's and intake make a difference in this case. But hey, I promised to drop this, and I will.
Ok kool! I have no problems with a debate either. Good to hear you are starting to mod that bad boy out! Chip it! Chip it! Chip it! Chip it! And I ain't talkin' bout da paint!

Old 06-13-2001, 12:42 PM
JimW

Re: Re: Re: End of story..Please!!!

Ok kool! I have no problems with a debate either. Good to hear you are starting to mod that bad boy out! Chip it! Chip it! Chip it! Chip it! And I ain't talkin' bout da paint!
Hell, if a dam catback wasn't $1500, it'd have one of those by now. Now with Audi being really **** with warranty claims (at least against the S4 crowd) I'm tempted not to do anything else. My original plan was to do the chip+exhaust+downpipes on this car, which is supposed to be good for almost 360 hp, and low 13's. We'll see, once my factory warranty runs out in another 25k (or next year) I may still go that route.
BTW, I personally feel that the S4's are so troublesome because many of the owners beat the living daylights out of them. There are about 3x's as many guys with no major problems on their cars, with chips and all other types of mods.
I've seen a few S4 owners myself do that. Put in a chip, exhaust and intake. Now they've got 325-330 HP. Then they go out and beat vettes. By launching at 6000rpm and dropping the clutch. Then they moan and complain when they break motor mounts and clutches, and Audi won't cover it. Go figure.

Old 06-13-2001, 01:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: End of story..Please!!!

I've seen a few S4 owners myself do that. Put in a chip, exhaust and intake. Now they've got 325-330 HP. Then they go out and beat vettes. By launching at 6000rpm and dropping the clutch. Then they moan and complain when they break motor mounts and clutches, and Audi won't cover it. Go figure.
OUCH!!!!!
Old 06-13-2001, 02:51 PM

Ok let me clear this up..A Audi 2.7TT wont beat a properly driven 540i 6 speed or auto. A 330i 5 speed WOULD be a even match for a 2.7TT. As for the CLk430....They are SLOWER than a 540i, so how can this be. For the money yes the 2.7tt is a great deal, but i cant justifiy buying a glorified VW. I would rather spend my money on a Benz or BMW. And what RPM are you launching your 2.7 to get these times? Probably about 4000 rpms to get the turbos spooled. Ok you get low 1/4 times, but how long is your driveline gonna hold up??
Old 06-14-2001, 05:40 AM

Re: Re: End of story..Please!!!

Ah crap...The bottom line is this, in my opinion. All things being equal a 2.7TT will beat a Maxima in almost all cases at the drag strip. A 2.7TT also costs $15k more.

There are many TT Audis running low-mid 14's stock. There are hardly any Maximas doing that. And the ones that have done it, like mine, did it under perfect conditions.

I looked at the Audi Bi-Turbo V6's before getting the Maxima. They are a great car and a heck of alot nicer than a Maxima in just about all areas. Who cant deny that? You just cant lease them for $374.69 a month like you can a Maxima . The Audis were about $200 a month more. To me, it just wasnt worth it. But, if the extra $200 a month didnt mean much to me, Id probably be driving an S4
Old 06-14-2001, 05:43 AM

'00 Audi A6 2.7T 6 spd.
Two Turbos, no waiting.
2.01 60 ft. time
2.3 60 ft time

VS

I think this is an apples to oranges comparison.