5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

THE YELLOW BULB vs LEXUS CAPSULE OFFICIAL COMPARISON...head-to-head!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2kprlmax
Merovi - are you ruinning hid in your fog or regular bulbs. They look brighter then mine for some reason. I am on regular bulbs
Regular bulbs. The reason that it looks brighter is I cut the shroud. In order to get a really nice looking yellow light keeping the reflector tip is by cutting the surroundings on the shroud. I only left the 2 pieces at the bottom because they hold the reflector tip. If you look you can see. Normally, the shroud goes all the way around the bulb and even covers the top. This pic is with the top cut off. The next is with the way I have it.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:34 PM
retired moderator

yep, that's the way to do it!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:21 PM

ya irish, like you said, if you were to re-open your housings, this works great. I feel as though I got about the same color as you(as I should) and I am keeping that stockish look with the reflector still in there. Not that it matters to you HID guys, but our stock headlights have the same reflector so it matches nicely.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 PM

i really want to add that bright yellow to my fogs...i was lookin at the luminics but the capsules are lookin great...what do i need for these...hid fogs or can i use my oem fob bulbs and where do i purchase these yellow capsules..thanks
Old 01-27-2006, 07:10 PM

all of my pics and irish's pics are using OEM fog bulbs. NO HID. The yellow capsules can be purchased at www.hidtech.com

you have to e-mail them for info and make sure you get the 9006 capsule. they are $30 + $7 shipping. thats what it was for me.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

And be very patient.... it can take a good long time for a reply.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:31 PM

alright...im goin to attempt writing to hidtech...if someone can exactly help me out with the installation like a write up or somthin that be great..mayb merovi can help..thanks
Old 01-28-2006, 11:24 AM

1) Make sure you dissassemble your fogs so that there are no wires attached. Mine looked like this when going into the oven:

2) Bake fogs at 300 deg for 20 min. Don't under estimate this epoxy. Slowly pry with screwdriver. Caution it will be hot so use pot holders to hold the fog.
3) Let cool down for a few mins.
4) Unscrew the bulb shroud and cut it(i used a dremel) so that it looks like picture above in thread. Cut 2 of the tabs off the capsule and shorten 1. Line it up with the shroud so that it is clamping it between the shroud and the fog. Use Dr. Roy's pic from page 1 to further diagram this.
5) Try to get out as much of the old epoxy as possible. Use an exacto or something similar.
6) IMPORTANT!! Test the light. Put everything back together except the lens. Place the lens into place and plug back into the car with the foglight resting in place. Turn them on and make sure they are yellow enough and there is not to much light escaping behind the capsule. There will be a little bit but there is nothing you can do about it because it should not be sitting flush with the back. There should be room for air to vent.
7) Use a silicon sealant from your local auto parts store and line the fog light with it.
8) Put the plasitc(or glass) back into place and put screws in. I then ran 1 more line of silicon along the sides to make sure it was waterproof.
9) Let sit over night.

Thats the jist of it.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
And be very patient.... it can take a good long time for a reply.

I am still waiting for an address to pick them up

I think I will get them quicker if I just paypal the damn money and have him mail them to me, eventhough he is most likely less than five miles away.

BTW I went to the address I was given earlier in the thread and it was someones house. I have no idea if he works out of the house or if he just mailed them from home, but I did not want to just walk up to someones house looking for shinny yellow things...
Old 01-28-2006, 09:14 PM

merovi yes that is the way i have them. I did mine with Dr.Roy. Maybe my lights are dieing.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:06 AM
Chassis Freak

BTW I went to the address I was given earlier in the thread and it was someones house. I have no idea if he works out of the house or if he just mailed them from home, but I did not want to just walk up to someones house looking for shinny yellow things...
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, it sounded like a house address. You could try another of their e-mail addresses:

General Info: info@hidtech.com
Sales Inquiry: sales@hidtech.com
Retrofit Inquiry: retrofit@hidtech.com
Old 01-29-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by VQuick
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, it sounded like a house address. You could try another of their e-mail addresses:

General Info: info@hidtech.com
Sales Inquiry: sales@hidtech.com
Retrofit Inquiry: retrofit@hidtech.com

I tried them both, I am just going to paypal the money and have them shipped.

Thanks for the address though.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Chassis Freak

I bought some silicone adhesive that withstands temps to 400 degrees F, adheres to glass, and dries clear. Would it be OK to use this on the yellow capsule so I can fashion a reflector out of aluminum foil or is that a bad idea? The adhesive package says "may corrode some metals prone to attack by weak acids"...I don't know if aluminum foil would have a problem with that. Maybe I'll just forget about the reflector.

Also, I've JB welded the first capsule in place and it's lined up with an even distance around the bulb vertically but it's closer to one side of the bulb (horizontally) than the other. Is that asking for trouble? It's not close to touching but it's not centered. I wouldn't want my expensive, time-consuming yellow-fog mod to fade after a year or something.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:25 PM

I bought some silicone adhesive that withstands temps to 400 degrees F, adheres to glass, and dries clear. Would it be OK to use this on the yellow capsule so I can fashion a reflector out of aluminum foil or is that a bad idea? The adhesive package says "may corrode some metals prone to attack by weak acids"...I don't know if aluminum foil would have a problem with that. Maybe I'll just forget about the reflector.

Also, I've JB welded the first capsule in place and it's lined up with an even distance around the bulb vertically but it's closer to one side of the bulb (horizontally) than the other. Is that asking for trouble? It's not close to touching but it's not centered. I wouldn't want my expensive, time-consuming yellow-fog mod to fade after a year or something.
If your talking about the capsule, no. The light will just shine through it. If the reflector is not centered, then the beam pattern will be really skewed and all over the place.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Chassis Freak

Ah, good point about the beam pattern.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:14 PM

Ah, good point about the beam pattern.
one of the main reason I redid mine after 1 day.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Luminics look very good to oncoming cars

Yesterday my son and I passed each other going opposite directions on a 4 lane undivided road. 45 speed limit. It was approaching dusk, about 4pm. He noticed the yellow fogs from quite a distance away and his first thought was 'Lexus'. Although he prefers white fogs on his SpecV, he said the yellow looked pretty cool.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:04 PM

Well that is the point now isn't it.

Though I still like the capsules better.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:49 PM

i would go with the lexus yellow it makes the car stand out more
Old 02-03-2006, 02:46 PM

Now it is friday and I still have not heard from HIDTECH and I dont have the capsules that I paid for on Monday. It takes ONE day to ship to me from where they are, that means that they have yet to even ship them (unless they shipped today).

I just sent another email to them that will most likely go unanswered.

Why do they have to be the only ones with this product???
Old 02-03-2006, 05:48 PM

i got the luminics too, but boy that lexus capsules are yellow. i wanna chagne mine, even though to my eyes the luminics are pretty yellow, i still want the capsules. ill do it when these burn out.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:54 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Now it is friday and I still have not heard from HIDTECH and I dont have the capsules that I paid for on Monday. It takes ONE day to ship to me from where they are, that means that they have yet to even ship them (unless they shipped today).

I just sent another email to them that will most likely go unanswered.

Why do they have to be the only ones with this product???
Don't worry about it for now. They will just show up in your mail box one day soon... Same story was with mine... If they do not come in a week or two, you can always place a complaint with PayPal and they will refund the money... IMO, don't worry, they are not the greatest in customer service and returning e-mails...
Old 02-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Chassis Freak

Man, I must've caught them on a good day last month.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Chassis Freak

Here's my progress. Unlike meanbean, I did not drill holes in the metal housing. Instead, I clipped off the three legs on the 9006 yellow capsule and just JB Welded it to the reflector. It's not quite perfectly centered on the bulb (stupid, I must have bumped it or something before it dried) so I'm going to try it without any bulb shield.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:26 AM

VQuick, before you seal those up you may want to stick a bulb in them and run it for a few hours. it will cure the jb weld and prevent the fumes from fogging your light
Old 02-06-2006, 08:57 AM

I hope you left some room for air to escape from the capsule. As irish points out, when heated the air expands and needs somewhere to go, otherwise shatter.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:01 AM

upstatemax: I have purchased from them a few times and they have always sent my capsules so hopefully it will be any day now for you. I know this does not help you now but what I normally do is make a payment to them via paypal and include the notes for what style of capsule I need. I then send them a email with the subject "Lexus Yellow Capsules (PAYMENT SENT)." All my email replies have either been later that day or the following day. Within a week, the yellow capsules are on my door step.

VQuick: Nice to see you could get those lenses off without dremeling. I am glad to see that you have found an alternative method to mounting the capsules. I have recently done a visual inspection of my installation and I am happy to report that it is still holding up quite well after all this time. Hopefully, your installation will also have the same results. Good luck to you.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:07 AM

Well I guess I owe an apology to HIDTECH... they were here on Friday but my doorman was out sick and the F*ing superintendent in all of his infinite wisdom just took all the packages delivered and stuck them in a backroom Usually the doorman brings them up or hands them to you as you walk in.

So now I get to sit on them for three weeks till I go back upstate to install them when I was up there this weekend with tons of time to do it...

So, sorry to HIDTECH for blaming them right away when they were not in my hands, they did get them here on time.

PS- Yes, I will be sending them an email as well.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:05 PM

Well I finally got them installed and they look great.

Last edited by upstatemax; 03-18-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Chassis Freak

Look great, although they look like they're pointing more down than they should. Did you reinstall the inner reflector shroud or not?

BTW your avatar is hilarious!
Old 02-19-2006, 08:05 AM

Look great, although they look like they're pointing more down than they should. Did you reinstall the inner reflector shroud or not?

BTW your avatar is hilarious!

I used Roys method and I cut off the top and sides of the reflector and reinstalled it. I do have to re-aim them, but it was 14 deg outside and I just wanted to get them in and get back inside.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Some pictures of the RedlineMax Halos on their own with stock 4300k HIDs:

For prices and ordering information, please contact Corey (aka Redmax on the .Org) from Redlinemax.

http://redlinemax.com/catalog/
A month later and the Redlinemax yellow H3s are still burning bright.... neither has blown yet. I've left the fogs on for whenever my headlights are on (never used to do that). Just thought I'd let people know. Does anyone else around here even have these? I know Corey sold a bunch.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Need A Light?

My luminics are still going strong...anybody else have bad luck with them?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:53 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Here are my caps, no shield:

Old 03-21-2006, 03:10 AM

finaly got my oem foglight retro done, used a set of valeo H'7s w/ 3000k philips ultinons, not as yellow as the lexus caps but extremely bright

Old 03-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by steven88
My luminics are still going strong...anybody else have bad luck with them?
No bad luck here...mine are still fine.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:48 AM

I have seen these in person and they are brighter than my capsules, that we did. Looks good tho.

Originally Posted by Dr. Roy
finaly got my oem foglight retro done, used a set of valeo H'7s w/ 3000k philips ultinons, not as yellow as the lexus caps but extremely bright

Old 03-21-2006, 02:56 PM

hey igzy how do the caps look in the day without shields?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:34 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Originally Posted by JaKillz2
hey igzy how do the caps look in the day without shields?
Here they are:

Old 03-21-2006, 07:39 PM

but the actual capsule, like when the light is off, I was just wondering if it would stand out against the chrome or anything like that.

Quick Reply: THE YELLOW BULB vs LEXUS CAPSULE OFFICIAL COMPARISON...head-to-head!!