5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

THE YELLOW BULB vs LEXUS CAPSULE OFFICIAL COMPARISON...head-to-head!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Rydicule
I just got the 9003 capsules in the mail yesterday, and after taking a look at them, they look a lot different than the capsules pictured earlier in this thread. They are not cylindrical like the ones in the pics, but actually look more like christmas tree bulbs, narrow at the ends and fat in the middle. I was going to attempt to install them today, but I'm a little nervous I may have gotten the wrong capsules

I will try to post pics since I haven't seen any yet with the 9003 capsules compared to the 9006.
that's what you get for not listening to us

just kidding...let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:25 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by irish44j
that's what you get for not listening to us

just kidding...let us know how it turns out.

I did the install yesterday. I must say, I ran into some problems. First off, the capsule is too narrow at the bottom to fit around the raised portion to get the lip under the shield as shown in Dr. Roy's diagram. The opening on the capsule was actually JUST wide enough to get around the opening in the housing, so I had to remove the alluminum legs at the bottom of the capsule, and epoxy the plastic portion into the housing. I used five-minute epoxy, let it sit for about half an hour before putting the glass back on. I used that time to scrape the silicone off the glass (I used a potato peeler to do this, actually, it worked wonders).

After I made sure the capsules were secure enough (I could lift the entire housing off the table by the capsule), I went to put the glass back on. Behold, it didn't fit. My second "obstacle". The glass lens teetered on the capsule slightly, making it impossible to press it snug into place in the housing, one side of the lens would always stand slightly up. Can't really think of a fix for this, so I loaded the lip of the housing with extra clear silicone, pressed the lens back on, and then I put a whole @ss load of silicone on the side that stood slightly, and used a toothpick to smooth it over the side. Then I used another toothpick to scrape the remainder off the lens and housing where it had dribbled over, and I let it cure overnight, hopefully making an airtight bond.

The project has thus far looked great, exactly the look I expected, however it is only the day after, and I really can't tell if I completely sealed out moisture, as well as after running the fog lights on my way to work, I noticed a bit of an aroma coming from them. The capsule is touching right up against the glass, though I don't expect this to hurt much. I will say I suspect there is actually similar or even more space within the 9003 capsule than the 9006 due to it's shape and placement, but because of the epoxy, there really isn't any ventilation which could cause problems with continuous use of the fogs on long trips (fear of overheating and breaking).

Overall, things are good now. I would say if you have the cash and patience, stick with HIDtech 9006 capsules. The SUVlights 9003 will ABSOLUTELY NOT fit under the shield. No way, no how, if you use these it has to be removed. There could be problems with moisture as well, I know I put a whole crap load of silicone sealant in there, and there is no actual "gap" between the material, but it doesn't fit flush, so I'm a bit worried. If you are impulsive, impatient, and aren't going to if you end up ruining your fogs and have to replace them, then give it a shot and see what you can do with these. For the time being, I'm happy with them. We'll see what the months bring.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:05 PM

when i posted that link, suvlights had the same capsules as hidtech, not the ones below. they dont look like they would work well.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:08 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Yep. One of my fog bulbs just blew after only running the lights for the third time.

could be because I was running a higher watt silverstar that I had in before, could also be because when I had them out the ignorant and oblivious non-car oriented people in my house were touching them, or it could be just because the capsule s00k.

Either way, I'm
Old 10-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

where do i get these yellow capsules
Old 10-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Chassis Freak

OK, I FINALLY got around to finishing my foglight project. I installed the hidtech 9006 capsules in my OEM 4th gen fogs. Here is the result. If people bug me enough I will post a mini write-up, sans photos, for how to do this on a 4th gen. Meanbean's write up is very good, although I didn't cut up the housing like he did.

I installed 3M/Xpel 40mil headlight protecting film because after all this work, I did NOT want to deal with a rock punching a hole in my glass, or water splashing up and cracking the glass. The film is pretty easy to apply and it wasn't too expensive. I don't recall how much since I bought it about 2 years ago, LOL. It looks great and does not diminish the light output at all.

Here are some photos I just took. For comparison, the corner (clearance) light bulbs are orange and the headlights are PIAA Extreme White.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:17 PM
retired moderator

looks great
Old 10-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

I am currently working on these also but I am putting them in my 5 inch fogs. I have taken off the blue film and going to put then capsules in. But I asked for the h3 type capsules due to the shape of my lights. They sent me the 9006. I am working with them though and waiting for e-mail most likely tomorrow about getting the capsules I ordered.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well., by the time I noticed this thread a few weeks back I had already purchased the Nokya 2500 h3's. Took me a while to get around to installing them. But I thought this thread would be a good one to show you guys... As soon as these burn out, going for the capsules. PICTURES ARE TERRIBLE... I suck at pictures.

Here are the pics Nokya 2500...

Old 11-04-2006, 08:23 PM

Nice work irish44j....This should be sticky'd without a doubt
Old 11-06-2006, 09:05 AM

HIDTech Not Responding

Does anybody have the phone number for HIDTech, it isn't on their website and they are not resonding to any of my emails.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Chassis Freak

E-mail them again a few days later. It took me two tries to get them to respond.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Chassis Freak

Here you go:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=499206
Old 11-06-2006, 09:25 PM

can anyone post links to the two bulbs featured that weren't the lexus capsules? I searched the internet for an hour just now and couldn't turn them up.

Also, when i go to redlinemax.com, it sends me to vqpower.com, and there doesn't seem to be a boatload of products to buy there. I want yellow, but i'm not too crazy about doin the capsule mod. thanks guys.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:23 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by Dr. Roy
when i posted that link, suvlights had the same capsules as hidtech, not the ones below. they dont look like they would work well.

I am actually currently running with these capsules. They do work, but you need to fabricate things a little. Easier to order than HIDtech, but I would stick with the 9006 if you have the patience. I did the mod on my bro's max with him with capsules I ordered from HID tech, and the mod went much smoother than mine did.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I been wanting to do this mod but now i know for sure what i need to do and get.

This is a great thread definetly a sticky!!!!

Old 11-20-2006, 02:22 PM

I had a lot of trouble getting in contact with HIDtech, but they did eventually email me. Thank you vquick for the thread about the person selling the yellow capsules. But, the email from HIDtech said this:

Hi Joe

Thanks for your inquiry. Each pair of Yellow capsule is $30 + $7 S&H. Our
paypal address is sales@hidtech.com Please note that this item is sold as it
with no return nor exchange, so please make sure you know how to work with
this before you purchase. May I ask what make, model your car is ?

Please also note that they don't just insert over your existing halogen
bulbs and then insert from behind the foglight. You will need to separate
your front clear housing first, then secure yellow capsule onto your
reflector housing by simply drilling three small holes and clip the tabs
from the bottom of the yellow capsule in, then seal the front clear cover
back. I would say this needs to be done professionally, and we also provide
such retrofitting service. Our labor will be $120 (for Plastic foglight
front cover only. We don't do glass) including return shipping for your
foglights. Remember this is a one time investment, you can have yellow
foglight for as long as your own your car.

In addition, we have experienced that some foglights might create fog due to
excess heat trapped inside the yellow capsule. Again, your OEM halogen
housing is not designed to fit yellow capsule over, so this mod MIGHT
require you to down grade your 55 watt set up to H8 35 Watt set up. Actually
35 watt is pretty bright enough for the foglight. Anyways, please keep that
in mind for the worse case.

Please email us if you have any other questions.

Sean
HIDtech

so, if you know exactly which capsules you are going to buy, just go ahead and send the payment through paypal and he'll ship them right out to you.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:58 PM

^^^SICK^^^
Old 11-26-2006, 03:59 PM

I personally hate the fog lights on Lexus cars. I think they look weird having HIDs and yellow fog lights. It's like starring into the sun. But that is just me.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:11 PM
I miss the .org!

IRISH: You're famous! This thread got linked by a thread over on G35Driver. Seeing my old posts brings back memories...haha. Running the Luminics JDM yellow now, and I love the color. Way more yellow than the PIAA's.

Here's some pics of my old car, with PIAA Crystal Ions:

Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 AM
KC's FINEST

Does anyone have a contact # for HIDtech? Talk about slow customer service...
Old 02-01-2007, 07:53 PM
The original VQ...

Does anyone else sell these thing, ive sent about 2 emails now to each address the give, ive been tryig to get these for over 1 month....
Old 02-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Chassis Freak

Guys, just Paypal $37 to sales@hidtech.com and in the notes section put "9006 yellow capsules". They seem to be pretty bad at responding to e-mails (they ought to have instructions on their website, or a button to buy them right on the site) but if you send them the money they will probably mail them right out to you.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:37 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
IRISH: You're famous! This thread got linked by a thread over on G35Driver.
I rule teh net!!!!!!

Yeah, I had to go over and comment in it, since I'm registered there.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM

where can i get my hands on the HIDtechs and hwo much am i looking at here?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Chassis Freak

did you read the thread at all? Look two posts above yours.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
Does anyone else sell these thing, ive sent about 2 emails now to each address the give, ive been tryig to get these for over 1 month....
If you're brave, you can check these out.

http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=163

This product used to be the same thing HIDtech was selling, and at the time I ordered from suvlights, they still had the 9006 capsules pictured. Then I got these in the mail. The install is not as "clean" as the 9006 capsules (at least on a 5.5 gen). The glass cover will not fit neatly back on, it teeters on top of the capsule. I just used a whole lot of extra clear silicone to compensate. I haven't run into any problems yet, and they look great. I thought I blew a bulb shortly after the install, but it turns out I just didn't secure the ground back very well . Easy fix though. Up to you
Old 02-16-2007, 07:14 AM

Everybody is looking for yellow capsules. Well, they are expensive ($38) and I guess HIDtech is hard to reach?

I think I may have an alternative. This will be my route once I swap bumpers.
Cut these and paste them inside the fog light housing (just as you would with the capsules). Will this really work by producing a true yellow for cheap ($10)?

IRISH, I'm not taking credit away but trying to create alternatives for the community.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
Everybody is looking for yellow capsules. Well, they are expensive ($38) and I guess HIDtech is hard to reach?

Cut these and paste them inside the fog light housing (just as you would with the capsules). Will this really work by producing a true yellow for cheap ($10)?

IRISH, I'm not taking credit away but trying to create alternatives for the community.
what do you mean by cut and paste them?

You can't "cut" a bulb - the glass is MUCH thinner than the glass in the HIDTech capsules and once the base is removed, it really has no rigidity at all and will just shatter after some minor bumps, IMO.

The HIDtechs may be $38 or whatever, but think about it this way: You get to use cheapo OEM-replacement bulbs ($3/each) instead of paying $20-25 each for PIAA H3s or Silverstars or whatever.....
Old 02-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Chassis Freak

I agree that $38 is overpriced, but that's the way it is with specialty parts, they charge a lot because they can and they're often not produced on a large scale so it costs them more.

The economics of the yellow capsules isn't bad, though. As Irish said, once you install them you never have to worry about expensive bulbs burning out. And they cost about as much as a full tank of premium, big deal!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:37 AM

That was my shorthand term. I didn't want to spell it out but since you asked... You would "cut" the base of the bulb. Shatter may be an issue but if you're careful, I do'nt see how it's impossible. This is cheaper than the "colored" bulbs and you're still using the OEM H3. Maybe it just comes down to dishing out $10 and spending some time being creative, don't take it as a "comparison" or "competition", just more of an IDEA.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Johnbrooks302

^^^SICK^^^
I know this is a fog light thread and all....and yes I plan on doing this mod very soon as well. But I just have to ask...WHAT KIND OF HEADLIGHTS DO YOU HAVE IN THE PIC ABOVE??? Those are SICK!!! Can you let me know what kind, what bulbs, what whatever you are using? I know they are some form of angel eyes but damn...those are HOT!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:40 AM
retired moderator

That was my shorthand term. I didn't want to spell it out but since you asked... You would "cut" the base of the bulb. Shatter may be an issue but if you're careful, I do'nt see how it's impossible. This is cheaper than the "colored" bulbs and you're still using the OEM H3. Maybe it just comes down to dishing out $10 and spending some time being creative, don't take it as a "comparison" or "competition", just more of an IDEA.
well do it already!!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 2k1maxgle
I know this is a fog light thread and all....and yes I plan on doing this mod very soon as well. But I just have to ask...WHAT KIND OF HEADLIGHTS DO YOU HAVE IN THE PIC ABOVE??? Those are SICK!!! Can you let me know what kind, what bulbs, what whatever you are using? I know they are some form of angel eyes but damn...those are HOT!
They're custom, with custom projectors. Dr.Roy is the master of custom headlights. You may want to get in touch with him to find out preciesely which setup of his that one is.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
well do it already!!!!
Didn't mean to "take" your thread in another direction. I posted this to give people more insight on "yellow" fogs. As you can see, people are strugging to get in full contact with HIDtech so this can be an option. I will try this but not until I get my hands on some 02 foglamps.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:51 AM
retired moderator

Didn't mean to "take" your thread in another direction. I posted this to give people more insight on "yellow" fogs. As you can see, people are strugging to get in full contact with HIDtech so this can be an option. I will try this but not until I get my hands on some 02 foglamps.
I was serious - I love the ghetto mods....I actually want to see you do it and be successful at it. This thread is about yellow lights, so feel free to talk about any method you want to!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Chassis Freak

Yeah, LOL, OOMax seems not to get it. Go for it man, we all would be happy if you got it to work. Irish doesn't care, you're not taking "credit" away from anybody. We may be skeptical but prove us wrong.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:01 AM

LOL....you guys are terrible....
Old 02-16-2007, 10:03 AM

^^^ ahah appreciate it guys! I'm ready to tackle it whether or not it's successful! Hold me up to it, springs coming around!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Don't you know who I am?

See my post right above this. Why would you take the time to cut and fit a yellow bulb when these concerns do exist? Wouldn't it be more worth it to order the capsules from the link I posted for 9 bucks? Given they are shaped differently than the HIDtech ones, they are cheaper and there is no messing around with emails and phone calls for em. I just think it would be a lot easier than cutting and fitting .

Quick Reply: THE YELLOW BULB vs LEXUS CAPSULE OFFICIAL COMPARISON...head-to-head!!