5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen Suspension Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:19 AM
(insert witty one liner)

Originally Posted by lannal554
okay so i have some s-techs/illuminas and haven't istalled them yet. I was wondering how much on average it cost to have a shop install them for me?
Expect to pay around $100.00 - $150.00 a corner.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can somebody, who tried them booth, tell me the difference between:
TOKICO ILLUMINA SHOCKS (beside level settings possibility) and
KYB 4 GR-2 STRUTS SHOCKS
(what level settings on TOKICO gives feeling of KYB).
What would one suggest for comfort ride in first place?
Thanks!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How to raise the rear end?

'02 SE. I recently put on Illuminas and H+R's and find the ride very nice. Before doing the replacement, I was experiencing "bottoming out" with only two people in the car, rear end only. The springs and shocks have stopped this, but with the drop and the extra stereo stuff in the truck, I think I have now blown two struts in the rear. One replaced 1 week ago and a new spot discovered in the driveway this past week. What I would like to do is find another rear spring set for the car. Does anyone know of a taller spring from a different car, a different spring that can handle another 2 hundred pounds, or both. I knew of a guy that put a V8 into an RX7 and used, I think, Thunderbird springs in the front end to support the extra weight. Same diameter, could handle the weight, not sure about the height of the spring. Factory springs from Nissan are two soft so I do not think using the factory spring is an option. I am not sure I want to mess with coilovers. I am thinking it will only handle the same weight as the coils. Maybe using coilovers with springs if that is even possible or maybe way too stiff. Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by just bob
'02 SE. I recently put on Illuminas and H+R's and find the ride very nice. Before doing the replacement, I was experiencing "bottoming out" with only two people in the car, rear end only. The springs and shocks have stopped this, but with the drop and the extra stereo stuff in the truck, I think I have now blown two struts in the rear. One replaced 1 week ago and a new spot discovered in the driveway this past week. What I would like to do is find another rear spring set for the car. Does anyone know of a taller spring from a different car, a different spring that can handle another 2 hundred pounds, or both. I knew of a guy that put a V8 into an RX7 and used, I think, Thunderbird springs in the front end to support the extra weight. Same diameter, could handle the weight, not sure about the height of the spring. Factory springs from Nissan are two soft so I do not think using the factory spring is an option. I am not sure I want to mess with coilovers. I am thinking it will only handle the same weight as the coils. Maybe using coilovers with springs if that is even possible or maybe way too stiff. Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
why don't you just get a different size rear tire?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:43 PM

20S LOWERED

[ quote=HotRod66;4928044]I am running 20's on my 2002 SE Max and I am looking to do some supension work on it. Do anyone know if I will have any problems with scubbing if I lower it.[/quote]

what up man i am on 20s also i am going go with the eibach/illuminas i heard they are a real good set up. but i am just going to lower the front because the rear is already close to the back tire and the front has a lot fender space.plus it will look uneven.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by AlpineGt66
why don't you just get a different size rear tire?
I do not like that option. New wheels and tires will be another $800. There should be some springs out there that would allow for the increased weight, saving me some money.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well did alot of research around the forums and other places and could not find the answer I was looking for. Two weeks ago I had my rear struts replaced. Presently I hear a clunking sound when i hit bumps and creeking sound on my rear passenger side. I have read that the clunking could be coming from the control arm. I am getting tired if hearing this sound when i hit bumps. The sound is even worse when some on is sitting in the back seat on the passenger side. Any more input would be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:14 AM

has anyone tried the megan racing springs on their car? how do they ride, sit, stability that kind of thing
Old 12-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Originally Posted by andy2248
Well did alot of research around the forums and other places and could not find the answer I was looking for. Two weeks ago I had my rear struts replaced. Presently I hear a clunking sound when i hit bumps and creeking sound on my rear passenger side. I have read that the clunking could be coming from the control arm. I am getting tired if hearing this sound when i hit bumps. The sound is even worse when some on is sitting in the back seat on the passenger side. Any more input would be appreciated.
Do you have a RSB? I had a similar problem a while ago, it turned out to be the RSB bracket hitting the rear subframe.

Also, check if the springs are sitting correctly in the struts, and make sure that all those nuts are nice and tight.

BTW, since the clunking started after the struts were replaced, why not have the shop do the troubleshooting?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Play with my balls

Anyone try mixing springs? I'm looking at S-Techs front and Progress rear. What are your thoughts? Good and bad welcomed.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Anyone try mixing springs? I'm looking at S-Techs front and Progress rear. What are your thoughts? Good and bad welcomed.
Confirmed the answer I was looking for, but more thoughts are welcomed.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:54 PM

i was wondering the same
Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 AM

i was hooked on coilovers for a while but realize that they arent the best choice when it comes to daily driving in NY. I think any suspension with both FSB and RSB will improve dramtically. Since im a new york driver i think im going with the progress, the cold weather up here is enough to make our cars feel like the school bus's of 15 years ago if i ran coilovers during winter time.

also s-tech you tend to run into more long run issues since the drop is so stressful.
if i only lived in florida and were rich i would run airride suspension on a play maxima... **sigh.... dreams.... dreams...**
Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

H&R on Illuminas

Today, I just installed new H&Rs on Illuminas with the setting at 3F and 3R. The ride is absolutely awesome! Great handling and response. What an upgrade from the stock suspension. In order to save some money I did the work myself. It took about 5 hours. First time doing struts. The rears were a ..tch. Had to figure out the spring compressor. Anyway, happy with everything.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 AM

Just ordered new H&R's today.
Now all I have to decide is, keep the Illuminas, or go back to OEM SE Struts?!?!?
Decisions - decisions!!!

Anybody other than Housecor running H&R's with OEM struts?? He seems to like it alot. I'm interested in a more plush ride than my current progress/illumina setup.

gr
Old 01-28-2008, 07:19 AM

Tune the Illuminas down to around 2-3 and they'll be fine with H&Rs. You can even go to 1, but depending on how the spring rate of the H&R matches with the damping setting at 1, it may be bouncy.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 AM

YOu again PM?!?! j/k

I'm just torn because while I loves me some Illuminas, I'm really ready to go back to a smoother ride.
Honestly - I know the illumas would be great, but I don't want to have to tear the susp. apart again, and wish for something smoother. My OEM's only have 15k on them.....so I figure they're still fresh.

As of now - I'm leaning towards putting the OEM's back on, and selling the illuminas and progress springs. Only 45k miles on both! (end: shameless plug)
gr
Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 PM
SHIFT_In2D

^
Haha you can just send them my way then. Been looking for a set.

Went from H&R to a combination of coilovers and H&R. Stiff ride, a little noisy but good control. I'll probrably be making the switch back to H&R soon.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:00 PM

i just bought my illumimas with H&Rs going to get them installed soon and i cant wait.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:08 AM

Has anyone installed S-techs on stock struts and survived? I live in Miami and the roads are pretty smooth for the most part but i dont wanna waste my time installing them if im just gonna have to replace the struts after a week lol

Also, most people say htech are too soft in the front. Progress springs seem to have the same spring rate...are they soft as well?

Last edited by ShIft_uR FacE; 02-06-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:36 AM

Yo i was about to purchased http://www.autocarparts.com/part/262/530/.but i heard Illumina has a REAL stiff handling is that true???

Last edited by WhoDatBuuL; 02-19-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:49 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by WhoDatBuuL
Yo i was about to purchased http://www.autocarparts.com/part/262/530/.but i heard Illumina has a REAL stiff handling is that true???
Only if you want them to be. Illuminas are adjustable. Start with 3F/3R. Drive around. If it's too harsh for you, Dial lower. Too soft, dial higher.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:37 PM

aight thanx
Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 PM

Struts N Springs

How much of a difference would lowering springs make without shocks, or vice versa, and which should be the first investment?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 AM
(insert witty one liner)

Originally Posted by SLPMAXDuP
How much of a difference would lowering springs make without shocks, or vice versa, and which should be the first investment?
Save up and do them at the same time. Otherwise you are paying to have the work done twice.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:07 AM

get coilovers! Full adjustability!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 AM
SHIFT_In2D

Really should be both. I went with H&R and stock struts, but they are a mild drop. Still you can risk a blown strut so...to be safe both at the same time.

Or since it's $400 for Illuminas + $200 for springs + $200 for install.

You could always go with coilovers for full adjust ability of ride height and ride comfort.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:20 PM

but whats a good brand of coilovers ???
Old 02-20-2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhoDatBuuL
but whats a good brand of coilovers ???
Tein or JIC there is a cost difference between coilovers though!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Reference Diagrams

Greetings all.

Well I just purchased an Infinti I30 and have already begun researching available mods, of course first priority being tightening up this suspension. The car is extremely comfortable but man this thing floats around like a Cadillac Brougham. I've never been a proponent of driving cars with such a loose suspension and frankly, knowing my driving style, it makes me a tad bit nervous. Let's not even mention that HORRIBLE wheel gap!!

If you look at most european vehicles on the market today (ie. BMW, Mercedes, etc.) they have a very fluid and even stance and the wheels themselves are also pretty flush with the fenders. This is the look I'm after with the I30, as well as functionally tightening this thing up.

Thanks to some pretty good reviews and opinions here I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to a select few.

Anyway, to the point of my first post! Being an aircraft mechanic for nearly 15 years it's quite natural to also be an avid DIY'er when it comes to working on my cars. Every car I've owned I did all my own work (Supra TT, Nissan 350Z, Honda Accord, BMW 320is, Mercedes Kompressor, BMW 540; wifes old cars).

During my searching I've run across a few members DIY pages and threads and they have really been beneficial in helping me get a a grasp on what it takes to troubleshoot and work on this car. Thanks in advance to you all who put in the effort. It really DOES come in handy. So, on that note I wanted to contribute a few things that I haven't run across. I hope these reference diagrams can eventually be of some help to anyone who needs to refer to them. Feel free to "save as" if need be.

I really wanted to start a new thread but seeing as how this is my 1st post that was a no-go. Non-the-less hopefully in the future it can be consolidated to one thread as I think it'll be nice to have some referenece diagrams available here.

FRONT SUSPENSION

REAR SUSPENSION

REAR SUSPENSION; ASSEMBLED (somewhat)

FRONT WHEEL HUB

REAR WHEEL HUB
Old 02-28-2008, 12:35 AM

Supprise! Supprise! My coilovers came in yesterday. They look great! JIC A33FLT-A1s

Old 03-23-2008, 12:55 PM
SHIFT_In2D

Originally Posted by maximo018
Supprise! Supprise! My coilovers came in yesterday. They look great! JIC A33FLT-A1s

Let us know how they ride I will probrably be going with JIC A2s, but if these ride well I may get em instead. Also tell us what kind of tires/size you're riding on since that plays a roll in comfort too.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:45 PM

Whats the lowest you guy's have dropped with out scraping on speedbumps and such? I need to know what springs to get, i just want a subtle drop.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:34 AM

I'm looking for a .5 incch drop at the front wheels and a .25 inch drop at the rear wheels...any idea on a decent setup that wont run me more than $1500....preferably closer to $1200 but i'm willing to spend $1500
Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM

im just looking for some advice. im gettin 19x8.5 rims and i also wanted to get new struts and some lowering springs. what do you guys suggest is the best setup for a decent ride,nice even drop and avoiding bending my rims.i got a 02 se. thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 AM

Quick Question, Ive got H&R's and Illumina's

How springy should the rear be when set to 5. Ive got my setup as 5/5, i do have a FSTB. Im concerned because I know that with the rears, THE 5 doesn't sit EXACTLY ON 5, its just about on the line, and im wondering if ive been driving around with 5/4 instead, I can tell the rear is a little more springy when i press down on it, and it bounces back, as opposed to the front,

Also if i adjust the in a 360 degree circle style, will that damage any internal components, as in........lets say i twist from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and continue twisting BACK to 1, in the same direction...instead of dialing down, from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1?

Thanks if you can understand the last part
Old 04-11-2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
Quick Question, Ive got H&R's and Illumina's

How springy should the rear be when set to 5. Ive got my setup as 5/5, i do have a FSTB. Im concerned because I know that with the rears, THE 5 doesn't sit EXACTLY ON 5, its just about on the line, and im wondering if ive been driving around with 5/4 instead, I can tell the rear is a little more springy when i press down on it, and it bounces back, as opposed to the front,

Also if i adjust the in a 360 degree circle style, will that damage any internal components, as in........lets say i twist from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and continue twisting BACK to 1, in the same direction...instead of dialing down, from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1?

Thanks if you can understand the last part
You shouldn't have to reverse order.
You should be able to go in a 360 deg pattern....1-2-3-4-5 > 1-2-3-4-5
I don't think it makes a difference.
What I am concerned about is that your rear is "springy" and your front isn't!?
5 should be firm - no question.
I have a suspicion you THINK your rear is set on 5, but in fact, it's somewhere else, like a lower setting.
Illuminas SPECIFICALLY say, NOT to set the detents BETWEEN CLICKS.
There needs to be positive engagement of the detent between valve settings.

I'm not sure how you can find "zero", but it sounds to me like you aren't where you THINK you are on your presets.

gr
Old 04-11-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
You shouldn't have to reverse order.
You should be able to go in a 360 deg pattern....1-2-3-4-5 > 1-2-3-4-5
I don't think it makes a difference.
What I am concerned about is that your rear is "springy" and your front isn't!?
5 should be firm - no question.
I have a suspicion you THINK your rear is set on 5, but in fact, it's somewhere else, like a lower setting.
Illuminas SPECIFICALLY say, NOT to set the detents BETWEEN CLICKS.
There needs to be positive engagement of the detent between valve settings.

I'm not sure how you can find "zero", but it sounds to me like you aren't where you THINK you are on your presets.

gr
ok thanks for clearing that up....but also, when I set the dials initially, I know I felt it "click" into place however...when I go over bumps and dips, I can feel how firm the rear is, as opposed to the floaty GLE suspension.....granted I've got 2 amps, and two alpine type R's in my trunk.....maybe its just me.....the car rides great, but when I push down on the rear, it gives a little not actually springy....

UPDATE: So i changed my suspension from 5/5 to to 2/2, and its SOFT AS HELL, which leads me to believe that maybe its all in my mind, as i can really feel how spongy and soft it is, on 2/2

Last edited by hi-tek22; 04-11-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:31 PM

OK, I am looking to get a new suspension kit for my 02 Max, im looking to spending $300 - $700.. I have 18" rims and would like to 1-2 inch drop all around.. First of all do I need adjustable shocks or coilovers or can i do without them and not run into problems? I don't want to spend that much money if i don't have to, does anyone have any suggestions.. i was thinking about getting H&R sport springs with Tokico shocks/struts..
Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 PM

One question, whats the deal with coilovers? vs shocks n springs?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Suspension Thread