5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

serious timing advancement question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:43 PM
IN IRAQ MAXIMA.ORG-ING :)

serious timing advancement question...

Originally Posted by siren001
Hey, i got a question, hawaii is thinking of putting ethanol in gas.

I might of herd something that it will cause problems in our cars.

Is there any documents on that. Of anyone else have that problem.

Will my not generate as much power now?
as siren said in hawaii they're putting in ethanol into the gas... well i usually go to sunoco and a few other gas stations... and they all advised me that New Jersey will start puttin enthanol into the gas as of possibly february... he mentioned something about their 94 ocatance will change and wat not... but thats besides the point... with this ethanol.... would it i dunno retard the timing if its advanced.... i know if u run the car thats been advanced with anything under 91 octane rating... supposedly it will cause damage or watever it does... but with this ethanol... any effects?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:48 PM

Hey Kabir did you finally get your timing advanced? I don't think ethanol would make too much of a difference as long as the octane # stays the same.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:54 PM

lol the guy is always busy so i kinda sorta pushed that to the side... im actually well currently working on my dde's lol... just a concern i posted up... hows them fog lights...
Old 01-23-2006, 12:55 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by KabirUTA13
as siren said in hawaii they're putting in ethanol into the gas... well i usually go to sunoco and a few other gas stations... and they all advised me that New Jersey will start puttin enthanol into the gas as of possibly february... he mentioned something about their 94 ocatance will change and wat not... but thats besides the point... with this ethanol.... would it i dunno retard the timing if its advanced.... i know if u run the car thats been advanced with anything under 91 octane rating... supposedly it will cause damage or watever it does... but with this ethanol... any effects?
It's a fuel type that is referred to as E85 that is a mixture of 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline...it's a much cleaner burning fuel however you will indeed see a downshift in performance as it's a simpler organic and has a lower enthalpy of vaporization, therefore won't give you as much pep...however, I don't think the effects will be all too significant as the MAF should compensate for the difference in the lift.

As far as what you friend said, I call complete BS on that. There have been over a dozen pacakges submitted to the state from various companies to build an ethanol plant in NJ on the premise that the ethanol is extracted from corn and the local farmers subsidize the building of the plant. The state wants $50-million from the farmers for them to even SEE the plan, so as one would guess, they are not biting. Moreover, the corn instead goes to the Purdue chicken farms where is simply rots ina big 'ole pile. It will be a long time coming before we see E85 in NJ, you can thank your local oil-lobbyist for that.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:59 PM

lol.... sounds good so far... i jus don't want to fall throo wit the advance timing and run into problems with the timing and the ethanol fuel mixture...
Old 01-23-2006, 01:07 PM
+Cru OG

Taken from an LSU site...

Ethanol requires few if any engine modifications to extract the maximum power from this fuel. Ethanol is reported to lower tailpipe emissions. Ethanol is more difficult to ignite than gasoline, especially in cold temperatures. Thus, for an engine to operate on 100 percent ethanol, the ignition and fuel systems may need modifications. Ethanol is energy-intensive to produce and therefore could affect the total energy-cost cycle.

Initial changeover from gasoline to ethanol could present some problems in the distribution system. Ethanol is a detergent and has the ability to absorb water. Accumulated sediment and water sludge in storage tanks, pipelines, and in the vehicle fuel tanks could clog filters and create other operational problems. These systems must be scrubbed clean and prepared prior to the introduction of ethanol fuels. Ethanol, in a highly concentrated state, can be corrosive to some automotive metals, rubber, and plastic components.

Ethanol is a very misunderstood alternative fuel. Many technicians and pseudo automotive buffs equate ethanol with methanol. They also relate "horror stories" of how alcohol based fuels have ruined automotive fuel systems. In truth, ethanol, in low concentrations, will not harm late model vehicles. The only possible harm could come if a highly concentrated mixture was induced into the system. Methanol, however, is highly corrosive even in moderate concentrations. Another possible side effect of changing over to ethanol blended fuels is the possible detergent action on an older vehicle's fuel tank and lines. A system contaminated with fuel sludge and/or water will be cleaned by the ethanol. In an extreme case, fuel filters could repeatedly clog until the system would be entirely cleansed of these contaminants.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Apparently there are a few stations in Indiana that are going to be switching too. I got my timing advanced a few weeks ago, so I guess I'll just update if anything happens with it, although I doubt anything will.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All good info except, E-85 is actually 85% Ethenol.. Used in flex fuel or retrofit vehicles. They can run off of E-85 or regulaur gas..Ford Taurus FFV, etc. Alot of the state cars here in Iowa have the flex fuel tauruses..The "retrofit" I think comes with different rubber injector, fuel rail seals (not the elastomer - that swells to much) and some other stuff that slips my mind at this second. Only difference you can see by looking at the body is a picture of a corn stock on the side of the car..Plus Iowa's state owned FFV's proudly display "85% Ethanel"...Funny thing is most people who own the taurus FFV have no clue that it's any different that a regulaur taurus..And of course Ford gets huge tax breaks for selling these every year.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:50 PM

these are alll great and interesting facts... which leads me to conclude that nothing will happen if the timing advancement is done... thank you guys...
Old 01-23-2006, 10:08 PM

hmm, here in AZ gas has always had 15% ethanol or 10% ether in it.... well as long as i can remember
Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 AM
THIS IS...

yes you are 100% right.