5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

questions before purchase of new maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 02:28 PM
fast4d

I'm looking for a replacement for my wife's dependable but gutless and cramped civic. Seems Maximas are alot of car/performance for the $.

I went to the nissan website and checked it out. What does an "SE" model give you besides better suspension components, wheels, comfort and appearance? It seems to me the GxE model has the same engine and trans. We're on a budget plus my wife will be driving the car 80% of the time so the extra $4-5k (according to website) it costs for the SE and all the goodies isn't worth it.

BTW, if you recently made your purchase is there a high demand for these cars? I'm talking about dealer pricing here. Another reason I'd like to go for the GxE is that demand for the "special/sports" model is usually high so dealer won't budge from the MSRP.

Old 06-08-2001, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by fast4d
I'm looking for a replacement for my wife's dependable but gutless and cramped civic. Seems Maximas are alot of car/performance for the $.

I went to the nissan website and checked it out. What does an "SE" model give you besides better suspension components, wheels, comfort and appearance? It seems to me the GxE model has the same engine and trans. We're on a budget plus my wife will be driving the car 80% of the time so the extra $4-5k (according to website) it costs for the SE and all the goodies isn't worth it.

BTW, if you recently made your purchase is there a high demand for these cars? I'm talking about dealer pricing here. Another reason I'd like to go for the GxE is that demand for the "special/sports" model is usually high so dealer won't budge from the MSRP.
There should be no reason why you should pay anywhere close to the MSRP for any of the Max models across the board. Whether you go GXE/SE/GLE or even 20th AE, you should look to pay invoice price and receive great financing as well. Your wife will be more than satisfied with the GXE in my opinion and if you're willing to wait 'til the 2K2 Maximas come out in the fall, you'll get even better discounts.

Do a search on the info that you want about the differences in the Maxes, you'll find plenty of threads.