5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

**HID KITS***owners step inside..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 04:56 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Yes I am aware projectors are superior. But like I said the 02-03 came standard with HID so what do you expect. How many cars came standard with HID projectors in 02-03. Not many so nissan putting hid reflectors in the max was still awesome. When I pass another 02-03 max at night it looks awesome and the output looks great. Projectors were just starting to be used in 03 so I wouldn't have expected them in the 5.5gen. Look at the 02-03 acuras that have reflector hids and they cost much more then the max...
Actually the TL offered HID in reflectors in '99. I owned one.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:00 PM

MMMM

take a look at this pics...

The cutoff is very sharp.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Yes I am aware projectors are superior. But like I said the 02-03 came standard with HID so what do you expect. How many cars came standard with HID projectors in 02-03. Not many so nissan putting hid reflectors in the max was still awesome. When I pass another 02-03 max at night it looks awesome and the output looks great. Projectors were just starting to be used in 03 so I wouldn't have expected them in the 5.5gen. Look at the 02-03 acuras that have reflector hids and they cost much more then the max...

HID projectors have been around for a LONG time; look at BMW, Audi, Saab, Lexus, Mercedes, Acura and Infiniti. I could not believe that they did not put projectors in the maxima. I thought it was the cheap way out and the way they perform, it seems like they just threw them together last minute.

My 03 Saab 9-3 Vector had Auto-Leveling Bi-Xenon Projectors, they were fantastic. The Maxima HID's look like a joke next to them. And as far as the poor performance; yes, they do have poor performance; of all reflector type OEM HID the ones on the Maxima are the WORST. That’s right, The Cadillac, Lincoln, Acura and even Ford's were all better than the Maxima Headlights.

Everyone keeps on bringing up the theft issue because it is a REAL problem. Look at how many people on this board have had their HID's stolen, then think how many that are not on this board that have had them stolen, enough so that they won a lawsuit against Nissan in NJ. Sorry if I don’t want to spend all that money on crappy HID's so they can get ripped out by some dirt bag and cause a ton of body damage while he does it.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:15 PM
HOOSIER Daddy?

You get what you pay for buddy

Originally Posted by upstatemax
And as far as the poor performance; yes, they do have poor performance; of all reflector type OEM HID the ones on the Maxima are the WORST. That’s right, The Cadillac, Lincoln, Acura and even Ford's were all better than the Maxima Headlights.

Everyone keeps on bringing up the theft issue because it is a REAL problem. Look at how many people on this board have had their HID's stolen, then think how many that are not on this board that have had them stolen, enough so that they won a lawsuit against Nissan in NJ. Sorry if I don’t want to spend all that money on crappy HID's so they can get ripped out by some dirt bag and cause a ton of body damage while he does it.
You statements are clearly a matter of opinion and have little or no factual stats to back them up. For example, crime and theft are an issue in general, not to be singled out by the stealing of HID's on a max.

I agree that it's unfortunate that Nissan didn't use projectors but in all honesty it's better to have non-projector H.I.D. than no H.I.D at all.... i think we can all agree on that HANDS DOWN. If you had a 5.5 gen you would understand. Improves road visibility and gives the car a classier look.

Comparing Nissan to Saab, Cadillac, higher end Fords, etc. isn't sufficient either -- they are in different buyer markets.

You can't stop the inevitable, only prevent it. Hence the reason why they produced the HID theft-deterrent harnesses for the 5.5 gens.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:42 PM

I don't understand why we don't have HIDs in the high beams. Can I buy a kit for the high beams? I am also going to buy a kit for the fogs because I hate how the color doesn't match.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:07 PM

if you're only gonna flash people with your high's it's not a good idea
Old 02-08-2006, 04:58 PM
HOOSIER Daddy?

Originally Posted by cutter
I don't understand why we don't have HIDs in the high beams. Can I buy a kit for the high beams? I am also going to buy a kit for the fogs because I hate how the color doesn't match.
Look in the group forums. I believe either Umnitza or Maximabest sells the dual bi-xenon hi's and lo's... it's kinda a pricey kit -- not my taste --i'd recommend the HID H3 (or mini H3)Fog / Lo Beam kit from Umnitza...just ordered mine the other day, can't wait to receive it! Looks like a lot of 5th geners went w/ something like this and have produced great results.

My .02
Old 02-08-2006, 06:00 PM

OEM ballast and bulbs FTW
Old 02-09-2006, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by cutter
Because most people don't use their high beams for a very long time. Most use them for quick flashes or for a short time to see further. Being that HIDs take a couple minutes to warm up, it would be very effective as a high beam. Plus turn the ballast on and off in rapid succession is a good way to end the life of your ballast!!