5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cadillac World Challenge ! (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 01:08 PM

Believe me guys, the Max ain't all that bad! I had the privilege of participating in the Cadillac World Challenge at the IX Center in Cleveland today (6/10/01) and it was AWESOME! I signed up for it on Motor Trends website in April.

All guest were able to test the pack of autos all 2001 or 2002 vehicles consisting of:Lexus 430,BMW 540i,Seville STS, Jaguar,DTS,Catera,Mercedes 430,Mercedes 320,Escalade,Navigator and the LS to the limit(within reason) on various courses that had slaloms, straights,and hair-pin turns. There was also a track on which each guest could attempt to beat the course record of 21.2+ sec. (guests were penalized 2 sec. per overturned cone)in a 2001 Catera and win a T-shirt displaying your win. A 20.5 sec. run was my best, but I hit 2 cones so I didn't get a shirt. The event was well organized and run and I would highly recommend that you participate in next years event if it comes to your town. A very nice choice of gifts were given to guests upon completion of the two hour event. With all this said why did I mention the Max? Well it stacks up very well in comparison to a lot of these vehicles some packing upwards of 300hp and having price-tags over $80,000. Sure we will never beat the Lexus or Northstar Caddy's, but we won't be totally smoked by the Mercedes 430 either, not bad for a $20k+ car. Our interior is much nicer than some of these vehicles also but as for handling we have some work to do, some of these full-sized cars can out handle ours. Overall it was a superb event that made me appreciate my Max even more while still respecting the big boys. By the way my favorite of the bunch was the Mercedes 320. It was the best all around performer on the track. Best surprise: DTS! Flat out FAST! Worst of the bunch: Lincoln LS. It just Sucks!

BTW - I took some photos that I will display on my site in a couple of days.
Old 06-10-2001, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by annimax
Believe me guys, the Max ain't all that bad! I had the privilege of participating in the Cadillac World Challenge at the IX Center in Cleveland today (6/10/01) and it was AWESOME! I signed up for it on Motor Trends website in April.

All guest were able to test the pack of autos all 2001 or 2002 vehicles consisting of:Lexus 430,BMW 540i,Seville STS, Jaguar,DTS,Catera,Mercedes 430,Mercedes 320,Escalade,Navigator and the LS to the limit(within reason) on various courses that had slaloms, straights,and hair-pin turns. There was also a track on which each guest could attempt to beat the course record of 21.2+ sec. (guests were penalized 2 sec. per overturned cone)in a 2001 Catera and win a T-shirt displaying your win. A 20.5 sec. run was my best, but I hit 2 cones so I didn't get a shirt. The event was well organized and run and I would highly recommend that you participate in next years event if it comes to your town. A very nice choice of gifts were given to guests upon completion of the two hour event. With all this said why did I mention the Max? Well it stacks up very well in comparison to a lot of these vehicles some packing upwards of 300hp and having price-tags over $80,000. Sure we will never beat the Lexus or Northstar Caddy's, but we won't be totally smoked by the Mercedes 430 either, not bad for a $20k+ car. Our interior is much nicer than some of these vehicles also but as for handling we have some work to do, some of these full-sized cars can out handle ours. Overall it was a superb event that made me appreciate my Max even more while still respecting the big boys. By the way my favorite of the bunch was the Mercedes 320. It was the best all around performer on the track. Best surprise: DTS! Flat out FAST! Worst of the bunch: Lincoln LS. It just Sucks!

the 540i didnt do too good? thats a surprise.. i guess it didnt have the low profile and the stock sport? i dunno.
Old 06-10-2001, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

the 540i didnt do too good? thats a surprise.. i guess it didnt have the low profile and the stock sport? i dunno.
Hey AznWontonboy,! it wasn't that the 540i didn't do well but more that I expected it to do well and it did. It was more that the 320 surprised the heck out of me. From the throaty growl as it was floored to the great acceleration and handling. It is an all out Winner!
Old 06-10-2001, 02:05 PM

Hey AznWontonboy it wasn't that the 540i didn't do well but more that I expected it to do well and it did. It was more that the 320 surprised the heck out of me. From the throaty growl as it was floored to the great acceleration and handling. It is an all out Winner!
o hehe.
Old 06-10-2001, 04:06 PM

Hey Annimax, you got to test drive all those cars in just 2 hours?? How long did you have for each one? I might be going to the challenge in a few weeks...

Thanx
Old 06-10-2001, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Chuvak

Hey Annimax, you got to test drive all those cars in just 2 hours?? How long did you have for each one? I might be going to the challenge in a few weeks...

Thanx
It depends on the slalom run speed and how many people are in line as for the test and you do have to kind of hurry due to others waiting in line for your test vehicle. I ran out of time before I could test the Jag.
Old 06-10-2001, 05:59 PM

Gm Autoshow in Motion

I did the same thing down here in Florida about two months ago. GM brought out several cars inclding other manufacturers (GTP, Regal GS, Boneville SSE, BMW 528, Mercedes c280, Lexus IS, Maxima SE, Taurus, Accord, STS, Corvette, Transam, Mustang, Grand Am GT and many others)You could slalom on SUVS track, Pickups Track, Racing track, or Endurance Track. I suggest you try it .....the best free day you'll have.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:42 AM

Can somebody please post info on how to sign up for these driving events? I can't believe they let you race these things for free. I tried to sign up for the Mercedes event recently, but they were booked. They sent me a nice Mercedes keychain though. Any links??
Old 08-28-2001, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by greggmax
Can somebody please post info on how to sign up for these driving events? I can't believe they let you race these things for free. I tried to sign up for the Mercedes event recently, but they were booked. They sent me a nice Mercedes keychain though. Any links??
The Motor Trend events are over. I do not know about any other ones at this time, but if anyone has any info please post.

Do you have any links for the Benz event you mentioned??
Old 08-28-2001, 10:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What u guys think is the best handling car out there?
Old 08-28-2001, 11:10 AM

Out of all the cars mentioned, I was also impressed with C320. BMW 540ia is one of the most amazing cars in the world. Fast and handles great. The S430 was another surprize I thought. Amazing roominess and just amazing handling and acceleration for a car that size. I cannot immagine what S55 AMG can do. When I set in the back, I felt like I was in that Airline comercial(Delta??)- unable to reach the seat infront...
Most disappointing was the Lincoln LS, I guess cause it was the V6 not the V8. Also Catra Sport was a very disappointing to me. Jag, S-Type V8 sounded like an old truck from the outside, but did impress me a little with it's smoothness and handling.
I wish I had time to drive the DTS and the Lexus LS though...
Old 08-28-2001, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Chuvak

The Motor Trend events are over. I do not know about any other ones at this time, but if anyone has any info please post.

Do you have any links for the Benz event you mentioned??
I don't recall the web-site, but someone on here originally brought it to my attention. It was a couple of months ago. He said that you could drive them yourself or you could have pros drive you around the track racing each other. I would pay some bucks to do something like that. The Edmunds event last summer was a ton of fun even though the track size limited what you could do. They cancelled it this year, probably because some ****weed spun the car into a tree.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by greggmax

I don't recall the web-site, but someone on here originally brought it to my attention. It was a couple of months ago. He said that you could drive them yourself or you could have pros drive you around the track racing each other. I would pay some bucks to do something like that. The Edmunds event last summer was a ton of fun even though the track size limited what you could do. They cancelled it this year, probably because some ****weed spun the car into a tree.
In addition to the C.W.C., Mercedes has a yearly event called the "Power Trip" similar to this one and Car and Driver also sponsors one as well but with much less exciting vechicles to test. I believe PrinzII has been to the Mercedes event and he can tell you more about it.