5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

seat heater issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:45 AM

seat heater issue

Hi guys. On Sunday I was on my way back to school when I noticed that my passenger heated seat was on, but the light was out. I left the seat heater on for quite some time, and periodically felt the seat to see how warm it was and it was not warm at all. However I have noticed this before too sometimes, when the light was working that the seat would not get that hot until someone's *** was on it. Anyways, does it sound like the device for the passenger side heated seat is bad, or do I need to have a passenger test this seat out with me to be sure? It probably can't hurt and I will take that approach, but I am just trying to get a feel for what one of these assemblies costs for the passenger side heated seat, and I am also trying to find out what the official part name is, because it is hard to describe. I tested my fuse for the seat warmer also and the fuse was in tact. Thanks for any help you can possibly provide me with.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:38 PM

Try switching the switches, that will answer wether it's the switch and or the bulb ( obviously the bulb has nothing to do with wether you're getting heat or not, but it sounded like you weren't sure). You could always start the car put it on and sit on it yourself, but someone actually sitting on it shouldn't make a difference.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:49 PM

You might have a short of some kind if someone has to be on it for it to work (but I'd say that it is simply the leather not getting hot since the heater is sort of deep in the seat and doesn't really make all that much contact unless the seat is more compressed). Or it may be the switch. You can swap the switches as MAXRB8 has said to see if it is the switch or you can sit in the seat yourself to see if it is operating (with the car stopped, obviously). Also, check to make sure one of the connections isn't loose under the seat. If it were, that would cause the switch to not work as well as the seat not to get hot... at least I think it should cause that.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Someone must sit in the passenger seat for the heated seats to work. It should take 2-3 minutes for it to warm up. The heating element isn't deep in the seat. It's right below the leather. I doubt it's a loose wire under the seat either. You'd really have to yank quite hardly on these wires to break the connector.

Try it on low than high both times w/someone sitting in the seat. I have a set of these switches laying around. Was gonna use them when I added heated seats to my car. I think they're $25-30 per switch from everythingnissan.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:19 PM

It says right in the owners manual that someone has to be sitting in the seat (both driver and passenger seats) for the heating element to turn on. Most likely the light on switch is just burned out which does not affect the operation of the heated seat.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by oxygen
Hi guys. On Sunday I was on my way back to school when I noticed that my passenger heated seat was on, but the light was out. I left the seat heater on for quite some time, and periodically felt the seat to see how warm it was and it was not warm at all. However I have noticed this before too sometimes, when the light was working that the seat would not get that hot until someone's *** was on it. Anyways, does it sound like the device for the passenger side heated seat is bad, or do I need to have a passenger test this seat out with me to be sure? It probably can't hurt and I will take that approach, but I am just trying to get a feel for what one of these assemblies costs for the passenger side heated seat, and I am also trying to find out what the official part name is, because it is hard to describe. I tested my fuse for the seat warmer also and the fuse was in tact. Thanks for any help you can possibly provide me with.

oxygen,

i have the same exact issue in my max only its the drivers side switch/light. actually, its the light bulb b/c the seat still heats up wit no problem. i havent changed the bulb yet, but when i do ill let you know how to go about that. but im pretty sure its ur bulb b/c u cant tell if the seat is heating up or not unless ur sitting in it. hope this insight helps.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by djbonsu
oxygen,

i have the same exact issue in my max only its the drivers side switch/light. actually, its the light bulb b/c the seat still heats up wit no problem. i havent changed the bulb yet, but when i do ill let you know how to go about that. but im pretty sure its ur bulb b/c u cant tell if the seat is heating up or not unless ur sitting in it. hope this insight helps.
Mine just went out a month ago... the LIGHT that is, on the passenger side. The heated seats still work fine so I'm not planning to do anything about it... esp when the switch costs $30?!? Gay.

Is it an actual light bulb under the switch or an LED?

I find it funny how the problems with max's... even something small like this, happen to a lot of ppl. At least they're consistent.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:08 PM

Does the switch just pop out with a flat head or how do you go about removing it? I am going to let the car run for a couple minutes maybe tomorrow to see if the seat heats up or not. I hate to waste the gasoline but it's a good experiment. If it's just the light that's out I don't find it nescessary to spend $30-40 to fix it , but if it's the piece itself then I will just order a new one, and be on with it. The aftermarket Kenwood amp in my car died this week too so funds will be allocated first to fixing that, then to this seat.

Thanks for all the help
Oxygen
Old 02-22-2006, 07:06 AM

I have the same problem on the driver's side, the seat heats up but the light doesn't light up. Do you leave your seat heaters on all the time or do you turn them off everytime? I bought my Max used and it was a one driver car, probably a sales rep who didn't carry passengers that much. I figured that they left the driver's seat heater on all the time and it just burned out the bulb. I say bulb, because I don't think that an LED "burns" out like a conventional bulb. If it is an LED then you probably have to change the whole switch. Unless, of course, one of the Max members here can show us how to "change the colours" of the switch LEDS!!!
Old 02-22-2006, 07:54 AM

funny thing is I am surprized the passenger one went out first. My GF uses the feature a LOT more than I do, but I keep them turned off if no one is sitting on the seat, or after my butt heats up. I bought my car used with 62,000 miles on it and it's an 02, so I figured , businesstype-road trip owner, salesman, rarely a passenger... and yet the passenger side went first. Go figure.

It's currently snowing so I'm going to test it out tomorrow when it will be 47 degrees, as I will take a ride down the street to the land of perfect ethical employment oppertunities, Walmart.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The Passenger Heated Seat

I too had the problem with the passenger heated seat. Luckly though, I have an extended warranty when I bought the car, so the warranty covered the heated seat. Also if you buy a maxima, I would recommend getting extended warranty, it will really save you alot of money
Old 02-22-2006, 12:04 PM

Well, my passenger window doesn't go up from the driver's side control panel; yet, it will go up from the passenger side window control. I guess my previous owner drove around a lot dropping the passenger window from the driver's side.

Hmmmm...... what could that mean??

Hey baby, how much...?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:08 PM

i have the same prob with my drivers side too my light doesnt turn on and the azz part doesnt work but the back does i dunno what it is?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by twllin
i have the same prob with my drivers side too my light doesnt turn on and the azz part doesnt work but the back does i dunno what it is?

I had that problem with mine where the back would heat up but not the bottom. The heating element in the seat (azz) area had to be replaced.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
I had that problem with mine where the back would heat up but not the bottom. The heating element in the seat (azz) area had to be replaced.
Hmm how much did that cost?
Old 02-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

oxygen,

make sure you sit in the seat when testing it....good luck wit it....let us know the results...
Old 02-22-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by twllin
Hmm how much did that cost?
I noticed it after only 5 days of owning the car so I brought it back to the dealer and they took care of it for no cost. The invoice just reads "goodwill" with a $0.00 price so I have no idea what the cost was.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:09 PM

$30 for the switch seems cheap to me. Then again, that's because I used to have an Acura Legend and they quoted me $130 to fix the burned out bulb in my seat heater switch! This was for the whole switch but still, what a rip.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:18 PM
It's chrome alright...

the light on mine burned out. I brought it to nissan and had it replaced. They didn't charge because I

1) asked them not to, and
2) had previously been an complete as'shole for a stupid issue they should have covered

take it to the dealer and explain "it shouldn't burn out" and get them to do it for free.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:49 AM

Hmmm i think im going to go in this weekend or next to see what they tell me
Old 02-24-2006, 07:19 AM

Can the bulb or led inside this switch be changed ourselves? The passenger side light on my '97 just went out.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:55 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Nathan
Can the bulb or led inside this switch be changed ourselves? The passenger side light on my '97 just went out.
they told me no and replaced the switch under warranty, but someone on here posted in my thread about it and said he did it himself for about $0.20
Old 02-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Guys,

I just bought a set of oem leather heated power seats to replace my cloth manuals and am looking for a place to buy the seat heater switch. Trigger said they were avaiable for $30 bucks, does anyone know where i can get them. My local nissan dealer quoted me 50 bucks each for the passanger and driver sides.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:46 PM

mine does the same exact thing but what ever i can't see paying to fix it. It was always a look at what i have type of option not practicle. i'd put it on and my body would be chilled but my **** would be sweating off lol. only when it was extremly cold would i even use it and even then only for 5-10 min anyway. i've since bought the remote start so i let her warm up first on cold days and the seats are warm from the heat blowing n them anyway....

funny these maxima's are very consistent since we all seem to have similar problems
Old 02-24-2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kunal4ever
Hey Guys,

I just bought a set of oem leather heated power seats to replace my cloth manuals and am looking for a place to buy the seat heater switch. Trigger said they were avaiable for $30 bucks, does anyone know where i can get them. My local nissan dealer quoted me 50 bucks each for the passanger and driver sides.
StL I30 says they might have em for $25 to $30 on http://www.everythingnissan.com/
Old 02-25-2006, 04:37 PM

I just picked up my Maxima today and I noticed the same problem (it was fine last week when I checked it). How much was it and how involved?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sari
I just picked up my Maxima today and I noticed the same problem (it was fine last week when I checked it). How much was it and how involved?
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...3&postcount=17