5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Considering 02/03 Maxima but I have Reliability concerns...thoughts on this???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Love my car, but no such a positive experience

Seeing all the great experiences here is encouraging.. and a bit frustrating.

I bought a 2000 SE in the fall of 99, only a few months after they came out. That might have been the key problem with that car. I had the following failures/replacements:

O2 Sensor Rear Bank (warranty)
Mass Air Flow Sensor
O2 Sensor Frt Bank
Ignition Coils & plugs replaced
Warped rotors -> new rotors and pads
Driver side window control switch failed
Idle Air Control Valve
lack of compression/wouldn't turn over - mechanic told me seals were leaking but did the seafoam thing and got running again. had to replace the plugs again
and finally the transmission speed sensor went out @ 92000 miles

Loved the car, but had enough problems to dump it. Couldn't find another car that drove like the maxima that a) I fit in, and b) I could afford. So -- I bought a 2003 SE w/ 32000 miles.

Since I've had the 03, my power steering fluid was leaking and the dealership replaced the whole rack and pinion assembly under warranty. Then at 36800 miles, the EVAP canister vent control valve failed and would not send the circuit closed voltage back to the ECM.

I really hope this is all the problems I have. I think I've had more than my share and just want to enjoy the car. I keep planning to do some mods but these mechanical/electrical failures aren't encouraging.

As for interior quality, the 2000 fabric held up pretty well, albeit showing a little fading as the car was parked in the Louisiana sun all day. The 03 has aftermarket leather and is too soon to tell. I have/had rattles in both - followed the TSB to pad/correct much of the noise.