5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

So, I'm a newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 06:32 PM

Hmmmm... Where to begin? It's like this... I will confess. I was hitting the lots this last week in search of the most potential havin' Accord or CL (~97-99 models). Back around Christmas, I did visit the ol' Nissan site and built my dream Max, but the price was a bit rich for my unemployed/student white buttocks, so I abandoned the dream temporarily. As luck would have it, I was on my third day browsing the lots when the salesfreak asked me if I had considered a Maxima. I told him that I felt it was most likely out of my price range, with all the bells and whistles that I would want. He insisted on showing me a 2000 Maxima SE, all the same. I walked up to this silver beauty and in one breath grinned but confirmed she was most probably out of my reach. Then I opened the door. "Get the keys," is the only thing I remember saying. Her black leather cockpit, BOSE premium sound system, manual transmission, titanium gauge cluster, power seats, limo tint, etc., etc., sank her claws into me. The next thing I know I'm on the interstate shifting into fourth for the first time at 80+ mph. Needless to say, my budget was modified and she was mine within twenty-four hours. I'm in love! I just stepped up from a '96 Civic EX. What a step, I must say. I kept the Civic and bestowed it to my wife, who was happy to give our truck away and take possession of my once upon a time baby. Anyway, I imagine a few of you can relate to my euphoria. I'm on day five with my new.... uh... pre-owned Maxima and I still feel like I'm sneaking out my parents car at age 12. I gotta tell you, this whole feeling of driving something that you feel like you shouldn't is a damn fine feeling indeed. I brought her home with about 16,000 miles and opted for the purchase of the extended warranty. She's in fantastic condition. I absolutely cannot complain. I feel I certainly got my money's worth- $22,000.00. My Christmas list has since been modified, as I envision myself to be the most pimpin' Y2K-MAX in town. Yea, and then monkeys flew out of my butt. Anyway, this is obviously my first post and I feel quite privileged to be cruising with the rest of you. I was kinda' hoping some of you married guys might be able to tell me how you got your wives' approval to just sleep in the car, because I'm meeting with a little resistance. Seriously, though, wassup and all that jazz and I look forward to gaining some serious knowledge and tweak tips from the gurus out there. Thanks for reading my little novel and, remember, drive a Maxima... They're oh so choice.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:48 PM
Got Bent?

congrats on the new maxima and welcome to the board

don't let the mod bug hit you too hard....
Old 06-11-2001, 07:02 PM

Wifes are Optional....well almost !!

My sig will show a car that was bought for my wife and then casually taken as my daily driver. Needless to say, our Supercharged Regal GS is not the favorite any longer!!! Never wanted to sleep in it......but many times I've come close to being locked in the garage. Down Payment on Lexus IS-300 for her was used on rims.....well their is always my next bonus !!! I wonder how I can get the lowering springs next ... maybe I'll tell her that you all donated them for free!! Good luck and as always a word of advice......buy a front strut bar first, Courtesy Nissan or Stillen are the current choices and price will dictate more than any other factor. It will transform your car once again.....and you will become closer to Nirvana
Old 06-11-2001, 07:15 PM

Congrats!!

Definately a catch at 22K.

I find that getting permission to sleep in the car isn't the problem, the problem is preventing my girlfriend from wanting to sleeping in it!
Old 06-11-2001, 08:24 PM

Thanks and stuff...

Thank you... Thank you... First I would like to thank the academy... Front strut bar, huh? Sell me a little more, Killr. I was all about entertaining the aesthetics first, personally. I was greatly anticipating ditching those lame red and orange sidemarkers for the clear lenses, retinting with better (best) quality tint, painting the brake calipers and stripping off the far from attractive oversized Nissan badges. Because the Einstein bagel before me had front license plate holes drilled, I could also use the best recommended bra to support my new princess- not to mention I'm in Florida and we have a serious love bug issue (can explain, if necessary). Interior modifications??? Well, I don't really see too many things in there that I'm dissatisfied with. I would like to drop a CD changer in the center console, if possible. I wouldn't mind figuring out an attractive mount for a worthy EQ too. I can see that I'm going to require a radar detector, so I should probably look into that as well. On a personal note, I bought this car immediately following graduation from college. However, as it turns out, I'm going to attend grad school, so my budget will certainly remain tight. What are some of the cheap thrills that I can entertain first? Cough up some more suggestions, along with general price ranges. I appreciate it, fellas, and, again, I look forward to some good advice. I'll check back in tomorrow. It's about time for me to catch some Zees. One phat Maxima jumping over a fence... Two phat Maximas jumping over a fence... Three phat Maximas jumping over a fence...
Old 06-11-2001, 10:15 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

come on over, and check out,

http://www.maximadriver.com

-_Cheston_-
Old 06-11-2001, 10:41 PM

Welcome aboard, FtNx. It looks like you already got that great Maxima passion...now try to remember to keep your wife from behind the wheel, or you may just lose your new wheels to her!
Old 06-12-2001, 06:15 AM

Thanks!

Originally posted by Chebosto
come on over, and check out,

http://www.maximadriver.com

-_Cheston_-

Thanks, Cheston. I'll check it out now.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:18 AM

Welcome Aboard...You've just stepped into Heaven! Enjoy the ride!
Old 06-12-2001, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by FtNx
Hmmmm... Where to begin? It's like this... I will confess. I was hitting the lots this last week in search of the most potential havin' Accord or CL (~97-99 models). Back around Christmas, I did visit the ol' Nissan site and built my dream Max, but the price was a bit rich for my unemployed/student white buttocks, so I abandoned the dream temporarily. As luck would have it, I was on my third day browsing the lots when the salesfreak asked me if I had considered a Maxima. I told him that I felt it was most likely out of my price range, with all the bells and whistles that I would want. He insisted on showing me a 2000 Maxima SE, all the same. I walked up to this silver beauty and in one breath grinned but confirmed she was most probably out of my reach. Then I opened the door. "Get the keys," is the only thing I remember saying. Her black leather cockpit, BOSE premium sound system, manual transmission, titanium gauge cluster, power seats, limo tint, etc., etc., sank her claws into me. The next thing I know I'm on the interstate shifting into fourth for the first time at 80+ mph. Needless to say, my budget was modified and she was mine within twenty-four hours. I'm in love! I just stepped up from a '96 Civic EX. What a step, I must say. I kept the Civic and bestowed it to my wife, who was happy to give our truck away and take possession of my once upon a time baby. Anyway, I imagine a few of you can relate to my euphoria. I'm on day five with my new.... uh... pre-owned Maxima and I still feel like I'm sneaking out my parents car at age 12. I gotta tell you, this whole feeling of driving something that you feel like you shouldn't is a damn fine feeling indeed. I brought her home with about 16,000 miles and opted for the purchase of the extended warranty. She's in fantastic condition. I absolutely cannot complain. I feel I certainly got my money's worth- $22,000.00. My Christmas list has since been modified, as I envision myself to be the most pimpin' Y2K-MAX in town. Yea, and then monkeys flew out of my butt. Anyway, this is obviously my first post and I feel quite privileged to be cruising with the rest of you. I was kinda' hoping some of you married guys might be able to tell me how you got your wives' approval to just sleep in the car, because I'm meeting with a little resistance. Seriously, though, wassup and all that jazz and I look forward to gaining some serious knowledge and tweak tips from the gurus out there. Thanks for reading my little novel and, remember, drive a Maxima... They're oh so choice.

great story have fun with your baby
Old 06-12-2001, 06:47 AM

Sigh...

Man, it looks like I have a lot of work to do. This will probably take some time. I think the first things I would like to entertain are those lame orange and red sidemarkers. Someone hit me back with some clear lens information. I found a great "how to" link, so I am primarily looking for vendors and prices. Somewhere up this thread, Killr recommended I install that front strut bar. I can appreciate his urgency with this recommendation, so go ahead and hit me with some info on that as well, if you don't mind. By the way, Jeff, nice pic! I've always been one of those anti-white car people, but then again I never really thought I was going to wind up in a Maxima. Self discovery is a beautiful thing- especially with 222 ponies. Yea... I would like to tweak that out, as well. Don't stop, get it get it...
Old 06-12-2001, 07:03 AM

Re: Sigh...

Originally posted by FtNx
Man, it looks like I have a lot of work to do. This will probably take some time. I think the first things I would like to entertain are those lame orange and red sidemarkers. Someone hit me back with some clear lens information. I found a great "how to" link, so I am primarily looking for vendors and prices. Somewhere up this thread, Killr recommended I install that front strut bar. I can appreciate his urgency with this recommendation, so go ahead and hit me with some info on that as well, if you don't mind. By the way, Jeff, nice pic! I've always been one of those anti-white car people, but then again I never really thought I was going to wind up in a Maxima. Self discovery is a beautiful thing- especially with 222 ponies. Yea... I would like to tweak that out, as well. Don't stop, get it get it...
thanks man

you can check out http://www.autodynamic.com for the clear front and rear side markers, or you could be adventurous and make the front ones by yourself (check out the "how to" sticky thread) either way, they definitely make the exterior look sharper (IMHO) I, like you, want to do exterior mods first, and I'm in the process of that.. I've done the clear markers and all the bulbs, next i'm looking for rims and a body kit..but most people will tell you to go for a FSTB/RSB combo first (i'm sure i'll be one of those people when i get them myself).. you can check out the FAQ sticky thread for more information about those items too.. good luck with everything!
Old 06-12-2001, 07:26 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:43 AM

Welcome man, Enjoy the ride !
Old 06-12-2001, 03:43 PM

Lights and Front Strut Bar

Looking that you are budget oriented, I would suggest the Courtesy Bar. It is easy to install and costs less than 100.00. You can install it with common tools (socket, box wrench, and torque bar) The bar keeps the wheels in alignment under spirited driving. Allows you a feeling and control to go into turns sharper and quicker as car feels "tightened" to the road. The rear bar....much more expensive...and needs adjustment to find right spot based on driving habits. I did it in my previous Ram Air T/A...but didn't seem to need it for Maxima. Try http://www.courtesyparts.com/secondtier_a33.html

The side markers are a great purchase also. I got mine through Ebay on bids that were substantially less than autodynamic.com. I paid 9.99 for rear, and 20.00 for fronts. Their are not technically legal....but here in Florida I have NOT been harrased. I even have blue bulbs in the rear versus red.

If you have the Nissan Bose system....the only changer that matches is a unit by Clarion made for Nissan. Someone told me that Crutchfield makes a patch kit but cannot substantiate this tidbit.

Keep in touch and see ya around Florida. Im in the South....and try www.Zainobros.com for all your cleaning needs. You will see, all of us stand by it as their is nothing better !!!
Old 06-12-2001, 06:10 PM

Welcome MAXMAN!!
Old 06-12-2001, 06:34 PM

Re: Lights and Front Strut Bar

Originally posted by killrwheels
Looking that you are budget oriented, I would suggest the Courtesy Bar. It is easy to install and costs less than 100.00. You can install it with common tools (socket, box wrench, and torque bar) The bar keeps the wheels in alignment under spirited driving. Allows you a feeling and control to go into turns sharper and quicker as car feels "tightened" to the road. The rear bar....much more expensive...and needs adjustment to find right spot based on driving habits. I did it in my previous Ram Air T/A...but didn't seem to need it for Maxima. Try http://www.courtesyparts.com/secondtier_a33.html

The side markers are a great purchase also. I got mine through Ebay on bids that were substantially less than autodynamic.com. I paid 9.99 for rear, and 20.00 for fronts. Their are not technically legal....but here in Florida I have NOT been harrased. I even have blue bulbs in the rear versus red.

If you have the Nissan Bose system....the only changer that matches is a unit by Clarion made for Nissan. Someone told me that Crutchfield makes a patch kit but cannot substantiate this tidbit.

Keep in touch and see ya around Florida. Im in the South....and try www.Zainobros.com for all your cleaning needs. You will see, all of us stand by it as their is nothing better !!!
THANKS! That was exaclty the type of information I was looking for. I'll be sure to stay in touch. Thanks again...