5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear brake calipers

Short: The car has been sitting on the grass for a few weeks, and the e-brake was up, and it was pretty cold. The rear rotor on driver side is stuck "on" and turns bright red (stopped driving it after realizing). I'd like to know so I can be a little prepared when I go to the mechanic tonight or tomorrow:

1. Is replacing both the calipers is necessary if one of them is seized up?
2. If this happened to anyone else, what was the problem?

I thought about doing it myself, but I know nothing about that stuff and I'm not even sure if thats the problem.

Thanks!

Not as short:
Does anyone remember about a month ago I posted about my new max? Well today is fnally the big day I get to actually register it and drive it. The originial lien release got lost somehow (not by me), and at the same time, the proper lien release notation was not made on the title by the Jersey DMV, and the NY DMV does not accept faxes of lien releases. So Acme Nissan (not made up) in Jersey finally sent the original yesterday.
It had been parked on the grass for a few weeks while waiting for the release so my mom could get in and out of the garage. I took it around the block last week, and found that the driver side rear rotor heats up bright red.
Someone said that the caliper most likely froze up due to the moisture from the grass and the e-brake being up during the cold. They also said both will need to be replaced because it is good practice to do them at the same time. I'm taking it to a mechanic my friend recommended, and I would like to know if anyone has had the same experience, also I would like to know if

1. Replacing both calipers is necessary if only one seized up.
2. If this happened to anyone else, what was the problem.

I want to be prepared when I go to the mechanic, thanks everyone
Old 03-22-2006, 07:29 AM
RR5

When you are dealing with anything like brakes or suspension, its USUALLY best to replace items in pairs. This is purely from a safety standpoint. Why would you replace one broken item with a brand new item and leave the other side in a questionable state? Especially if you drive a little harder than most.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:10 AM

yeah replace both... its not that hard to do.. just pay attention to what u take off and where it goes and then bleed the brakes.. just a thought if you want to save money instead of going to dealer
Old 03-22-2006, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the info, I'm not going to the dealer, but I might swing by Midas and I wanted to be prepared, thanks for the advice!
Old 03-22-2006, 08:53 AM

yup, happened to me, i ended up replacing both rear calipers, with rebuild ones. install not too hard just remember to bleed brakes afterwards.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:25 AM

you might have to turn (shave) the rotor or replace it depending on how much it was damaged from the seized caliper. be ready for them to try and rip you off!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

check the seal around the pistons ans if you see it broken just flush it down with some wd40 or a silicone based one....
Old 03-22-2006, 09:59 AM

I'm confused why someone would suggest replacing both calipers. I do not understand how one caliper failing has anything to do with the other fully functional caliper. So you replace a fully functional caliper with a newer fully functional caliper.....i'm not seeing the benefit outside of it being newer.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by falconey
I'm confused why someone would suggest replacing both calipers. I do not understand how one caliper failing has anything to do with the other fully functional caliper. So you replace a fully functional caliper with a newer fully functional caliper.....i'm not seeing the benefit outside of it being newer.
Well if one caliper has seized you probably run the risk of the other doing the same thing, especially since they have both been subject to the same conditions. So why not save yourself the future hassle and just do both while you have them off. Plus as one of the other guys said, when it comes to brakes, just do both and be safe.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by qballjr13
Well if one caliper has seized you probably run the risk of the other doing the same thing, especially since they have both been subject to the same conditions. So why not save yourself the future hassle and just do both while you have them off. Plus as one of the other guys said, when it comes to brakes, just do both and be safe.
Ok I see your point, but i still disagree. If money isn't an object then I'd say replace them, but money is ALways an object. Personally my impression and understanding of the braking system is the only things you'd need to replace in pairs are things like pads, shoes, or rotors. I've known guys that had one caliper fail and they didn't even buy one new caliper. All they did was buy a rebuild kit from Autozone and repair the broken caliper.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by falconey
Ok I see your point, but i still disagree. If money isn't an object then I'd say replace them, but money is ALways an object. Personally my impression and understanding of the braking system is the only things you'd need to replace in pairs are things like pads, shoes, or rotors. I've known guys that had one caliper fail and they didn't even buy one new caliper. All they did was buy a rebuild kit from Autozone and repair the broken caliper.
I agree, money is ALWAYS an issue! I had the same thing happen where my caliper froze and I just figured I would replace both, more for saftey sake. I guess its a personal and financial preference.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:10 PM

Since I spent all of my money on the car, it is definately a consideration. I went to Midas for an estimate, they said it was definately the caliper. The reason behind replacing both is that

"since they are hydraulic, when one is a new system and one is an old system it wouldn't <<uneven hand movement>> ... uhh be good" -Midas Guy

They wanted $397 to replace both, so I called my brake guy to tell him it was the caliper, and he ordered one I think from Napa for $75, and he said it would be $25 to put it in. He said that I didn't really need to replace both, and since I'm all tapped out money wise, I'll wait till the other one goes to replace (although I understand why it would be smart to do both and would if I had the extra cash). I'm gonna try to salvage the rotor. Also I would try to do it myself but I know nothing about brakes and have been waiting a month to drive my new car and don't want any more problems, thanks for all the input everyone!
Old 03-22-2006, 05:17 PM

i did hear a few reasons to replace both, dont remember what they are, i guess if ur tight on money do just one, but both are recomended. 200 for both is a good price. rotor should be ok, especially if u didnt drive that far. good luck!