5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hotshot Headers on a 2K2 SE

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
1 x dual output sim from www.02sim.com.
I just got one and tried installing it today but car would not start. I am gonna need some help with the install and it seems Puppetmaster is very knowledgeable in that.

First, which are the secondaries?? The sensors that have 3 or 4 wires at the plug connector? I am trying to see if the installer did not connect the right o2 sensor's.

Second, I tried using the instructions that came with the dual output sim and they don't really make sense.

Third, if I have the right o2 sensors there is one that has 2 red wires and one white and the other has 1 red, 1 white and 1 black. How do I connect these???

Any input would help since I plan to fix it tonight.

I also bought VAFC 2 today and plan to install it some time next week. Do I need to take the car to dyno shop or can I just follow some good instructions posted by Puppetmaster.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DUKEE
can i get one from cattman? i think its the same product right?
I don't know what kind he sells. Just make sure the sims have dual output or that BOTH sensors are simulated and the heater wires are connected.

If you cut the heater wires too, you will get the CEL for em. Some people have used a resistor to simulate those too, but I don't know the specs off the top of my head.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MaximusMorpheus
First, which are the secondaries?? The sensors that have 3 or 4 wires at the plug connector? I am trying to see if the installer did not connect the right o2 sensor's.
You had an O2 sim installed and aren't sure if the shop knew which ones are the secondaries? This can't be good. Got any pictures of what has been done?

The secondaries are the 2 you see at the top and front of the motor:

Front (Bank 2): Green connector with red shroud
Rear (Bank 1): Dark blue connector with white shroud

They are the left 2 in this picture:

If your car doesn't start, I have a feeling that they used a primary O2 sensor instead.

Second, I tried using the instructions that came with the dual output sim and they don't really make sense.

Third, if I have the right o2 sensors there is one that has 2 red wires and one white and the other has 1 red, 1 white and 1 black. How do I connect these???

Maybe this will be clearer:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=sim

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I also bought VAFC 2 today and plan to install it some time next week. Do I need to take the car to dyno shop or can I just follow some good instructions posted by Puppetmaster.
You can install it yourself, but please make sure you know what you're doing. You will need the diagram that I posted and I highly recommend the FSM for the wiring diagrams, voltage specs, and all that other good stuff.

If the shop you go to can't install O2 sims, I wouldn't trust them to install a VAFCII.

For tuning, you MUST tune it on a dyno or with a wideband O2, since I assume you don't know what the A/F looks like right now.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:24 PM

You had an O2 sim installed and aren't sure if the shop knew which ones are the secondaries? This can't be good. Got any pictures of what has been done?

The secondaries are the 2 you see at the top and front of the motor:

Front (Bank 2): Green connector with red shroud
Rear (Bank 1): Dark blue connector with white shroud

They are the left 2 in this picture:

If your car doesn't start, I have a feeling that they used a primary O2 sensor instead.

Maybe this will be clearer:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....&highlight=sim

Let me know if you have any other questions.

You can install it yourself, but please make sure you know what you're doing. You will need the diagram that I posted and I highly recommend the FSM for the wiring diagrams, voltage specs, and all that other good stuff.

If the shop you go to can't install O2 sims, I wouldn't trust them to install a VAFCII.

For tuning, you MUST tune it on a dyno or with a wideband O2, since I assume you don't know what the A/F looks like right now.

I see what o2 sensors they connected and does not look good. It seems they connected the back o2 sensor with blue shroud(which I think is ok) and a front o2 sensor with white shroud. It seems like they connected a secondary. Idiot installers. So the front o2 sensor with blue shroud should be connected where the white one is connected? I hope they did not mess up the o2 sensor and how could the car even start when only one primary was connected?
It seems that I need to unistall the white shroud o2 sensor with the blue shroud in the front headers. How easy is this and is there any precautions??

Also now that I know which ones are secondaries(white and red shroud) they have four wires going into the connectors.

*White Wire on the Simulator goes with the white wire on the Oxygen sensor harness- this wire is the signal wire that the Simulator modifies- leave the wire from the 02 disconnected- let the simulator fool the ECU.
*Black wire goes with Black Wire- this is the Ground
*Pink wire on the simlulator goes with the Red and yellow wire on the vehicles harness.
*Red and Blue wire is unused by the simulator, nor is the Pink and Black on the other oxygen sensor- these are for the oxygen sensor heaters. Disconnecting these will throw a check engine light for Heater circuit maulfunction.

Are these colors correct for 03 Max? Also it seems i will still get a check engine light if heater wires not connected? I don't understand how to connect these to not show CEL??

thanks, again.
jesse
Old 03-30-2006, 05:40 PM

Your description still doesn't seem right.

Refer to these diagrams:

And check whether they got the right ones.

Once again, the sensors with the WHITE shroud/wrap and the RED shroud/wrap are the secondaries. These are where the sim should be connected to, but before the harnesses.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Need A Light?

the secondary o2 sensors have 4 wires and ONLY 4 wires....the primary o2 sensors have 3 wires and ONLY 3 wires....

the secondary o2 sensors...the GREEN CONNECTOR is the is BANK2 (radiator side)....the DARK BLUE CONNECTOR is the BANK1 (firewall side)....both primary o2 sensors are baby blue in color...

ask me any more questions if u need too
Old 03-30-2006, 06:22 PM

I see what o2 sensors they connected and does not look good. It seems they connected the back o2 sensor with blue shroud(which I think is ok) and a front o2 sensor with white shroud. It seems like they connected a secondary. Idiot installers. So the front o2 sensor with blue shroud should be connected where the white one is connected? I hope they did not mess up the o2 sensor and how could the car even start when only one primary was connected?
It seems that I need to unistall the white shroud o2 sensor with the blue shroud in the front headers. How easy is this and is there any precautions??
Okay, I need to clarify something. In the photo I posted, DO NOT refer to the relative position. Just look at the colors of the connectors or the diagrams in the post above. The picture has the relative positions switched and that's why I descrbied the colors of the connectors and shrouds.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
....both primary o2 sensors are baby blue in color...
Good point.... if the O2 sim is connected to either of these, it is installed wrong.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:27 PM

Just finished connecting right o2 sensors, hooking up the o2 dual sim, reset the ECU and test drove it. I was very pleased. Right away I could tell a major difference in power in second gear. Something was robbing power and I had a strange feeling driving the car before I fixed it tonight. Now everything is better. Thanks, PuppetMaster and Steven88 for all your help.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

... if the O2 sim is connected to either of these, it is installed wrong
.. Why do I get 233 whp... with an automatic....
Old 03-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Old 03-31-2006, 05:43 AM

Uh... because you are ?

Now tell me why the hell you are simulating your primaries?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:50 PM

Just finished connecting right o2 sensors, hooking up the o2 dual sim, reset the ECU and test drove it. I was very pleased. Right away I could tell a major difference in power in second gear. Something was robbing power and I had a strange feeling driving the car before I fixed it tonight. Now everything is better. Thanks, PuppetMaster and Steven88 for all your help.
Btw, glad things worked out.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

besides the sound how was it performance wise
Old 04-10-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaGT-R
besides the sound how was it performance wise
Performance gains are great, to me it felt like a small to medium shot of nitrous. I used to have nitrous on my 4th Gen. You can feel the car lurch forward in second gear, then third at certain rpm's and it feels great. Hopefully I can install the VAFC II I received today and tune it soon to get the maximum power available with these headers.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

anyhave issues with a buzzing sound from the headers? i believe its the o2 sensor hitting the AC line but im not sure. i tried my best to bend it but it wouldnt budge. is it maybe the new gaskets that are making the sound? its an annoying buzz. any ideas?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:20 PM

I plan on getting the hotshot's..it worries me though because they do not respond to my emails...
I was wondering after i had the VAFC-II installed as well as the headers - whats the average cost to tune. I live in the Albany, NY area as well, and recommendations where to go?
sorry if this jacks the thread just let me know where to post

thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by machinehead131
I plan on getting the hotshot's..it worries me though because they do not respond to my emails...
I was wondering after i had the VAFC-II installed as well as the headers - whats the average cost to tune. I live in the Albany, NY area as well, and recommendations where to go?

thanks
i think hotshot went out of business. The header sticky should help u out.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:40 PM

thanks

Clifton Park?? If so it is nice to see someone else on here from there!

Not that many places that are good for header installs.

All the dealerships in the area usually break other stuff while working on your car (Nemith being the worst)... My brother installed both my headers (HotShot and Cattman), I can call him and see what he would charge you to put them on (he works in Mechanicville).

And yes, HotShot went out of business LONG ago... For the NE, I really like my new Cattmans.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:15 PM

Well i have news, hotshot replied to my email and he is retiring so he is selling everything he's got in stock for REALLY CHEAP, i just popped my envelope in the mail box, check the site if you are interested. For the headers - i can install them i just need to know where to go to get it dyno tuned.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:25 PM

Well i have news, hotshot replied to my email and he is retiring so he is selling everything he's got in stock for REALLY CHEAP, i just popped my envelope in the mail box, check the site if you are interested. For the headers - i can install them i just need to know where to go to get it dyno tuned.

I don't remember the name of the shop... I can call my brother on thursday, he knows it.

I will let you know.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:23 PM

ok cool, can you also get some price estimates another question for everyone else can i run the Apexi AFC NEO??!?!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

can i run the Apexi AFC NEO??!?!
Yes, you can use it.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Is it as easy to hook up as the VAFC and SAFC?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
dot dot dot ...

It is for some. Check the stickys, there's a write-up from Jime.

Also, check the AM forum, alot of supporting information in there as well.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:00 PM

Will do, thank you...i look foward to this install!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:36 PM

Do i need a wideband o2 installed as well to tune?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

How else are you going to tune? On the dyno? Sure, but I'd rather be able to tune wherever I'm at, and for the occasion.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:22 PM

yes- on the dyno, i thought you could just get dyno tuned with the vafc and leave it.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

You could but . . . . . .

I'd rather be able to tune wherever I'm at, and for the occasion.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:50 PM

I'm new to this, how much is an wideband o2 and i really like to do all my own work, but how much would it cost to get it welded in if i had to
Old 03-01-2007, 06:17 PM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=498048
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=506260

I got my test pipe with bung from lssexhaust.com

A shop can do it for ~ 10-20$
Old 03-01-2007, 06:27 PM

it seems wideband is too pricey right now, down the road though i will be able to easily add a wideband o2 if i wanted to?

I really am just looking to install the headers, install an AFC, and get a dyno tune somewhere - still do not know where i will be going but ill be doing the installs during my spring break.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:38 PM

it seems wideband is too pricey right now, down the road though i will be able to easily add a wideband o2 if i wanted to?

I really am just looking to install the headers, install an AFC, and get a dyno tune somewhere - still do not know where i will be going but ill be doing the installs during my spring break.

http://www.synapsemotorsport.com/

My brother told me they are aimed more at imports and would be great for our cars.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:13 PM

Cool ill give em a call and check out prices - i was thinking about greddy e-manage for the long run, would that be easier to tune by myself?