5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

wiring problem or helios h3 kit, vets please step inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:38 PM

wiring problem or helios h3 kit, vets please step inside

hey guys i got tired of buying the plasma fogs so i finally broke down and bought the helios h3 kit in 6k for 265. it took me alot to spend that on fogs as i just bought a new home, but i'm sure many of you can relate, i'm a maximaholic and i can't stop myself LOL.

anyway i have power going to the kit but none on the other side going to the bulb. all connections are good as it simply plugs into one another, totally plug and play except where you splice into existing stock fog line which tests hot.

so if you have power going in but no power leaving it's something inside the kit that is not right, correct? seems pretty simple but just wanted to see what you guys think.

i spent all day today doing the most perfect, **** job of mounting the ballast and ignitor and secureing all the wireing to only have to take it all back out!!! oh man oh man.....
Old 04-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I do feel for you, I installed my Helios HID fog kit a couple weeks ago and it sounds like you did everything right. The only thing I would suggest is checking the wires you spliced. Make sure you didn’t get those switched. That is basically the only error you could of made, being that everything else on the kit just plugs in. If your splices are good, then im guessing you have a bad igniter or ballast.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:53 PM

thanks for the support man, we are definately a rare breed that will spend 265 on fogs! Especially because my max has every other cosmetic upgrade known to man $$$$ but to have the fogs not work? boo hoo ....

yeah i actually was probably one of the first to hook 2k2 hids to my 2k. i did it in 02, when i first saw them come out and HAD TO HAVE THEM! this was before the theft problem was well known. And i just recently found the org so i did it myself by looking at wireing diagrams that i got from the dealership! so i am definately qualified to do this easy plug and play.....in my sleep that is, LOL. i just tested one more time and hooked it directly to the battery, then ballast, then ignitor, then bulb, but nothing!

when you got your kit did it look like someone had already opened it and maybe looked through? mine definately did. both bulbs looked like they were partially out of those film looking canisters. i wonder if both bulbs could be shot? hummmmm

but even so, that would'nt explain the lack of power coming from the igniter....
Old 04-20-2006, 06:43 PM
大陆弟弟

Only thing I can think of is check the splice, because mine worked right out of the box. Also, I've heard some of the Helios kits are wired wrong, so maybe changed the wires around for a test?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:49 PM

well maximabest seems to be really working with me at any rate. i think it must be a one in a million type of thing as everyone else seems to be fine so i'm sure he'll probably just send me another and i'll send him this one. still waiting to hear from him however.

anyway i hooked it directly to the battery even,... but nothing. and if the wires were wrong inside like you are saying then i definately would like another entire kit. i can only imagine what damage hooking a pos to a negitive and the neg to the positive would cause. not good for sure.

anyway i've heard nothing but positive customer support about maximabest and i'm sure he'll take care of it. again it was a freak thing and as long as he gives me another, i'll be happy.....
Old 04-20-2006, 07:55 PM

n3985 by the way how do you like the 7k up top with the 6k on bottom. i could'nt decide between the 6k or 7k for headlights so i figured i'd try the fogs for color then decide. it's so hard to tell just by looking at pics. i can't wait to see the fogs! i bet they look sick! and since i've already installed them once and found the perfect spots to mount and splice it should take me no time at all to hook the new ones up! man oh man i can't wait!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:19 PM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by 2k0to2k3
n3985 by the way how do you like the 7k up top with the 6k on bottom. i could'nt decide between the 6k or 7k for headlights so i figured i'd try the fogs for color then decide. it's so hard to tell just by looking at pics. i can't wait to see the fogs! i bet they look sick! and since i've already installed them once and found the perfect spots to mount and splice it should take me no time at all to hook the new ones up! man oh man i can't wait!!!!!!
I have the 7,000K for low beam b/c maximabest sent me the wrong bulbs

But the color between the 7k and 6k is HUGE. In real life, with both fog and low beam on, the 7k makes the fogs look YELLOW!! Also, the 7k for some reason is purple? But I wouldn't get 7K again because the light output decreased too much.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by n3985
I have the 7,000K for low beam b/c maximabest sent me the wrong bulbs

But the color between the 7k and 6k is HUGE. In real life, with both fog and low beam on, the 7k makes the fogs look YELLOW!! Also, the 7k for some reason is purple? But I wouldn't get 7K again because the light output decreased too much.
oh no, now i'm a little nervous, why did'nt he send you the bulbs you had originally ordered? why did you get stuck with 7k's?

And thanks for the info. if i ever see the 6k i'll i'll make up my mind then. so what color is it anyway? they really are'nt yellow are they? also i think fogs should be just a little less colorful or at least a little different than heads anyway. kind of like the bmw's and mercedes. they never totally match.

i loved my stock hids with the piaa plasma's but i run at dusk and rain with only fogs on all the time so they blew very frequently! the hids and polarg bulbs all had a very blue hue to them while the piaas gave a blue light but with hues of purple. looked sick reflecting off my pearl white max, especially off my stillen front lip. i wanted 7k for fogs and 6k for top but they only come in the 6k (highest) for fog kits.

also how much light output did you loose with the 7k. because i'm thinking my max may be brighter just because our lenses are so different. thanks pat
Old 04-20-2006, 09:52 PM
大陆弟弟

Probably just a mistake from the factory, the 6K is a white light with a bit of blue, my fav color.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:41 PM

The 6000k look good, trust me. Here are a couple pics of them on my car. I have the 6000k Helios headlight bulbs as well as the 6000k HID fogs.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:08 PM

yeah they do look good in the 6k.... i'm taking pics now for maximabest to show him i recieved the whole kit. i guess it's so rare that he wants to make sure i have whole kit but of course i do, as i said i'm more than qualified to assess and install this kit. oh well, i'll do what ever i have to and i guess wait even longer to see these babies...

i know they must look so much different in person than in a pic. i know our stock hids look totally differnt in person vs pic, so i can only imagine how good the fogs plus heads will look.

man i can't wait to get a good kit and see these!!! whoo hoo for hids!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:03 AM

i should probably start a new thread for this but we'll see if i get any feedback first.....so for all you guys out there that hooked up the h3 mini fog hid kit.....

did you just run bulb wires on side of cap then screw cup on crushing wires in between threads of cap or did you cut them, run wires through stock hole and rubber plug then splice them back together?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2k0to2k3
i should probably start a new thread for this but we'll see if i get any feedback first.....so for all you guys out there that hooked up the h3 mini fog hid kit.....

did you just run bulb wires on side of cap then screw cup on crushing wires in between threads of cap or did you cut them, run wires through stock hole and rubber plug then splice them back together?
I cut the wires and ran them through the stock hole. I soldered the ends together, then I used silicone to seal it up so it didn’t collect moisture.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:43 PM

yeah it's no big deal now because i had my local shop diagnose and fix the problematic ballast because maximabest said i voided the warranty because i cut the bulbs to do a proper install. i did it just as you did.

again no big deal now but at the time i was going nuts because only an absolute moron would not cut them and twist them in the cap?? i could'nt imagine doing it that way. but that is the only way to install them if you want to retain the warranty on the bulbs?

anyway they look good but are really bright......
Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 PM

Sorry to go off topic but I am not allowed to start my own thread. IS any one interested in 04-06 Se Wheels 18" stock. If so please contact me at PMPN8EZ052@comcast.net. Thanks