5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

H-techs: somewhat dissapointing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:01 PM
retired moderator

Yeah, I will say that the 10 different rattles in the car with the Maxspeeds whenever I went over rough roads are virtually GONE with the H-techs installed, even running 5/5 illuminas. I really do enjoy the ride, and it ALMOST makes up for the lack of handling. I may just go back to the stage 2 LTB, do SFC's, and finally install my poly LCA bushings and maybe they will make up the handling aspect.....

I'm not going to run as many autocrosses this season anyhow, since I have several other things going on on weekends that are taking my time....and hopefully by next year I'll have a house with a garage and will put my sportscars back on the road and the track, and the maxima can just go back to being my daily driver and not my driver/racer
Old 05-02-2006, 08:18 PM

just a thought irish... is it possible you got a set of fake tein springs? there was a thread about them a few weeks back. Maybe this is the case?
Old 05-03-2006, 08:17 AM

^^^ I don't think Irish (the handling expert) wouldn't tell the difference between those when installing them!!! Well but who knows...
Old 05-03-2006, 08:33 AM
It's business time.

I agree with Josh on the aggressive handling dynamics with the exception of the comment on these compared to stock. I noticed a great improvement by going from stock to H-techs in terms of handling, but there still is some body roll. I haven't driven with any other springs so I can't compare the H-techs to other drops. I don't do any autocrossing so I don't know how these would fair but I'm certain the are superior to stock. The drop is clean and I've loved my H-techs for the three months I've had them.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:53 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by OutMaxxed
just a thought irish... is it possible you got a set of fake tein springs? there was a thread about them a few weeks back. Maybe this is the case?
No, Corey (Redlinemax) got them for me directly from Tein, so I know they're the real thing...

Originally Posted by Progress
I agree with Josh on the aggressive handling dynamics with the exception of the comment on these compared to stock. I noticed a great improvement by going from stock to H-techs in terms of handling, but there still is some body roll. I haven't driven with any other springs so I can't compare the H-techs to other drops. I don't do any autocrossing so I don't know how these would fair but I'm certain the are superior to stock. The drop is clean and I've loved my H-techs for the three months I've had them.
It's been a long time since I had stock springs, so maybe my memory is fuzzy

The drop is surely very nice looking and the ride is great. I guess I'm just going to have to change other things and my driving style to make up for the softness/progressive rate vs. the maxspeeds.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by irish44j
No, Corey (Redlinemax) got them for me directly from Tein, so I know they're the real thing...

It's been a long time since I had stock springs, so maybe my memory is fuzzy

The drop is surely very nice looking and the ride is great. I guess I'm just going to have to change other things and my driving style to make up for the softness/progressive rate vs. the maxspeeds.

Hmmm I have a very big question in my head and that is.. there have been people adamantly protest that the maxspeed is the exact same spring as the H&R. But you guys are saying the maxspeed are linear and if your right than they cant be the same as the H&Rs (not even close). Because we know that the H&Rs are progressive, which would make sense because people have said many times that the H&Rs ride better than the maxspeeds.

On the other hand I seriously wonder if Irish just dislikes the feeling of progressive springs in general. We all know that pretty much every spring out there, except maybe the s-techs handle better than the stock suspension. And Irish hates the front H-techs, (which are progressive) but likes the rear H-techs (which I believe are linear) and feels that the stock suspension wasnt so bad (again a linear spring) So I am going to say dont go with the H&R go with the Eibachs and stage 1 SFCs with a little thicker or harder tubing than what was found in the warpspeed design and that combo should give you much better handling with probably a better ride (due to the SFCs). The Eibachs although I believe they are progressive are probably much stiffer initially than the H&Rs by that I meen you probably dont need to compress them as much to get to the stiffer part of the spring. I am basing this idea off the countless reviews that say the Eibachs ride harder than the H&Rs or H-techs and the fact that people have reported slightly quicker responses to steering input with the Eibachs compared to the H&R so I am guessing they meen it rides more like a linear spring, which I think is the feel your going for.

I really feel (although my opinion is just that, an opinion) stage 1 SFCs and Eibachs are the best option for what your looking for. The only possible problem I think you could run into with that setup is if they rode is too hard, and it doesnt sound like the Eibachs would be any worse than what your dealing with now, and certainly nothing like the ride Coilovers would give. Not to mention you'de get a pretty even drop, not as droopy as the H&Rs.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:00 PM
retired moderator

Everything I've heard says that the Eibachs have the harshest ride of any spring.....The change from the Maxspeeds was for comfort's sake, and i think the Eibachs would be going the wrong direction there, unfortunately.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:07 PM

Eibachs would definitely be moving in the wrong direction if you are looking for comfort...

I really do LOVE these springs though. It will be a shame to probably say goodbye when it comes time for larger wheels
Old 05-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by irish44j
Everything I've heard says that the Eibachs have the harshest ride of any spring.....The change from the Maxspeeds was for comfort's sake, and i think the Eibachs would be going the wrong direction there, unfortunately.
I havent heard they are that harsh. More harsh than H&R and H-tech but I dont think harsher than S-techs and probably the sprints. But those are junk anyway so I dont know why I'm bringin them up.

When I get my SFCs done I will tell you how much a difference they make in ride comfort. If the difference in ride comfort is large enough that I feel the H&Rs are quite soft than I may move to the Eibachs, and this is my daily driver and I have quite an old *** for someone who is 21. I'll let you know
Old 05-06-2006, 10:07 AM

i love the handeling and resonalble ride with the h techs, and im comming form coilovers, oh which the handeling is simply amazing! one thing i must diagree on is that the h techs and illuminas are way better than the stock se set up!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:58 AM
The original VQ...

Good info irish, I hate my H-Techs, but i think the real problem is my struts (im running blues )
Old 08-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Cletus

well thank god you added something new when you bumped this old thread
Old 08-12-2007, 09:23 AM
retired moderator

I like it when people bump my old threads
Old 08-13-2007, 07:35 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

I was very happy with my progress/illumina setup on my 4th gen and 5th gen. Worth trying if anyone is tired of other options.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Sports Button FTW

welcome back 2006
Old 08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

Originally Posted by meccanoble
welcome back 2006
I miss 2006 , Mecca