5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help with a How-To.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:50 PM

Need help with a How-To.

Can anyone help me with a “how-to” on removing the center counsel? (where the cup holders are) I need to get to the E-Brake light sensor. It keeps flickering and I have to hid the side of the counsel for the light to go out. I got as far as taking off that clip on piece around the Shifter, and I can see the harness from the E-Brake light, but I need A LOT more room.. Anyone do this? I need step by step and where all the bolts are… I don’t want to brake anything… Any input would be VERY appreciated.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:00 PM

k... pop of the console around the tranny.... under that there are 2 screws... remove them... then open the middle armrest and inside in the middle is a screw... remove that... then move ur seats forward and on the either side there is a screw close to the ground remove them... theres also gonna be some tabs in the front but they come right off... be careful when taking the whole thing out... the shifter will have to be all the way back and watch out for ur mirror i almost took mine off... hope that helps good luck!
Old 06-05-2006, 03:00 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

-Remove ashtray by compressing sides with hands and pull out
-Remove screw behind ashtray
-Use a screwdriver to pry shifter console out. There will be 4 tabs. Start at the backside, use a towel when pulling up against the OEM trim.
-Pull out shifter trim
-You will see pop-tabs securing the sidepanels to the console. Pop them out with your hand.
-There will be two screws securing the middle console to the dash. Remove them.
-Move the front seats all the way up. Fomr the backseat, you will see two screws on both sides of the console. Remove the one closest to the rear, it's the one with a protruding, oval head. NOT the flat one.
-Finally, there will be a lone screw beneath the felt pad in the storage area of the console.

Now pull up from the rear, and out. The last thing you need to pay attention to is the harness connecting power the to rear 12V adapter. Simply unplug this.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:35 PM

v t c solenoid

I hate to hop on this thread but since I can't start a topic I don't have a choice.

I've got an 02 max, 79k miles. on saturday my 'service engine soon' light popped on

Today I brought it to the dealership, after a few hours they called me back and said it was the VTC solenoid and needed to be replaced.

this is where I laugh at everybody that told me not to buy extended warranty

anyway, it's covered by my ext warranty but will still cost me $50. In the long run I guess that ain't ****e compared to out of pocket cost.

my question is, the dealership also told me Nissan recommended I get a Platinum OIl change which is more or less a oil flush as I understood it...

ANy thoughts? FOr a guy w/ a not so deep wallet, a $85 oil change seems a wee bit ridunkulous.

Especially if I can save some $$$ and get it done elsewhere

sides, I just got my oil changed a darn week ago

OUT
Old 06-05-2006, 06:13 PM

Thread stealer: Platinum Oil is a bunch of BS u want platinum oil then get synthetic castrol or mobil 1 and do it urself
Old 06-05-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by misiek
Thread stealer:

you noticed eh?

I think I might just sell my Max and get a kia...
Old 06-06-2006, 06:16 AM

Thanks metal max and misiek.

I'm going to start this sometime this week. I'll be back if there are any more questions.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2006, 03:58 PM

well, i did it. The info was very helpful and I finally fixed my brake light blinking. There was a piece of paper stuck on a little spring that touches contact when ebrake is pulled up; and the paper pushed the contacts together somehow?!? but its all good.. driving is much more stress free!
Old 06-11-2006, 04:14 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Glad we could be of assistance.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all,
Ikalinin, i think i have a similar problem. But for me, i have 2 dim flickering light in the dash. My handbrake light and my battery light, and they flash exactly at the same time.
My Max is a 2001 SE 20th ann. 5 speed
I had a new alternator (june) my charge rate is ok (14v)
I tryed to find some patern to reproduce this, but i cant. I see it at high rev. low rev. highway, idle after starting....anytimes.
And its not constant, i mean its not flickering constantly, just during 5 minutes, maybe i wont see it during 1 day, the day after it will come back for 10min.... I think i see it more often when i do hard acceleration, so its vibration related.
I dont notice something different in the cars drivability
Did you have both light on like me?
I searched the wiring schematic for something common between both light, and nothing special exept the common. The handbrake light go directly to the switch located in the console!!
Somebody have experienced this or have any ideas to help me.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tabo
Hi all,
Ikalinin, i think i have a similar problem. But for me, i have 2 dim flickering light in the dash. My handbrake light and my battery light, and they flash exactly at the same time.
My Max is a 2001 SE 20th ann. 5 speed
I had a new alternator (june) my charge rate is ok (14v)
I tryed to find some patern to reproduce this, but i cant. I see it at high rev. low rev. highway, idle after starting....anytimes.
And its not constant, i mean its not flickering constantly, just during 5 minutes, maybe i wont see it during 1 day, the day after it will come back for 10min.... I think i see it more often when i do hard acceleration, so its vibration related.
I dont notice something different in the cars drivability
Did you have both light on like me?
I searched the wiring schematic for something common between both light, and nothing special exept the common. The handbrake light go directly to the switch located in the console!!
Somebody have experienced this or have any ideas to help me.

Thanks
Did you also check the grounds and not just the power? They may ground to the same place, where something may be loose.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thats the next thing i'll do.
But i have some trouble finding all the ground location for the interior.
I have checked the ground located on top of the fuses box (left side of the dash), nothing special, the bolt is screw tight, continuity is constant

;/
i'll keep searching...
thanks for the input anyway, i'll do a complete ground check this weekend
Old 10-05-2006, 06:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I found what was the flickering light.

Its a bad Alternator. I ran into a serious alternator rebuilt sh*t.
I replace my alternator 3 times just last week!! /
My battery was good, all my cables have no corrosion.
After doing a little back and forth to the place that rebuilt the alternator, i called nissan Canada for more info on this. And the guy told me that the jobber's alternator have a big time problem supplying the 14.4v all time when they have some load on it. Its the same problem with the murano, pathfinder, maxima...
He even told me that he replaced 5 jobber alternator on a max at one time before getting one that was working fine.

The symptome of a bad alternator in your max are:
-at first you can have flickering light in the dash, at this time its an intermitant charge prob. Your rectifier is gonna died soon (1week-1mounth)
-When you turn your key and all the light in the dash are lighted, but not the battery light
-When the alternator is really dead and your driving. You will notice that your airbag light will come up, at that point find a place quick to park your Max. After that your air bag light will start blinking, you have abour 30sec-1min to find a secure spot to stop. Your engine will stall shortly, and no more steering (not a good feeling, lol)

I ran into all this a few times just this summer, because of a jobber alternator...

I'll post a quick troubleshooting procedure shortly to help you guys.

later