5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Front Suspension Clunk noise! Why??? help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Front Suspension Clunk noise! Why??? help!

Today, i was trying to install my LTB but i could not do it due to some fitment issues on my car. I partially removed driver side control arm but then i installed it back, as it was.
I also managed to replace the front sway bar bushings with some new ones.
I put everything back together and test drove the car.
Car drives straight with no vibrations. However - when i accelerate and/or sometimes when i make a turn or go over bump and then accelerate, i hear a clunk under the driver's side...or somewhere in the front of the suspension. I almost feel it under my feet. When i drive on the Highway, everything is smooth.
The clunk is very noticeable when it happens, so i know that it is not my imagination.

What could be the problem? All i touched today was the driver side control arm but i put it back together as it was. And then....i replaced the bushings on the sway bar. What could have gone wrong???
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't know where to start. The car was running great before i touched it this morning.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2006, 11:41 PM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

It kind of sounds like your exhaust piping is hitting something. I know you didnt work on this part of the car but double check it just to be sure. A hanger or something might have come lose.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Driving is the next best thing

I'm pretty sure it's the swaybar endlinks. The stiffer your sway bar bushings the harder your endlinks have to work.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
I'm pretty sure it's the swaybar endlinks. The stiffer your sway bar bushings the harder your endlinks have to work.
So, what would be the fix for this? New end links? Put the old sway bar bushings back?

I was wondering if it could be something related to having the contol arm front end nut(s) being too tight. I torqued everything when the car was "in the air" sitting on jacks. Ideas?

Thank you!
Old 07-03-2006, 11:16 AM

I realized the same problem, After installing my LTB. I dont know what the problem is but i thought it was my driver shock going out.. I guess i have to look again. But it was weird that you mentioned it too.. I guess its not just me!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:04 PM

make sure the two bolts are tightened again. i had this issue for several months, and had to re-torque the two bolts for the ltb. you may have to get the car on a lift, and get a 3-4' cheater bar to get the bolts really tight.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by dansmax2003
So, what would be the fix for this? New end links? Put the old sway bar bushings back?

I was wondering if it could be something related to having the contol arm front end nut(s) being too tight. I torqued everything when the car was "in the air" sitting on jacks. Ideas?

Thank you!
hm... You are not supposed to tighten those nuts when suspension is unloaded... Whether this is the cause of the problem or not I think you should jack up your car again, loosen the nuts, put the car back on the ground, roll it back and forth, and only than tighten the nuts.

In case the problems turns out to be the endlinks, just replace them and you should be fine. (They are pretty weak and worn out endlink are pretty common on our cars.)

BTW, are you sure that you hear "clunking" sound and not "squeaking?" lol
Old 07-03-2006, 02:15 PM

I do not have the LTB installed on my car. I got the clunk/knock only after i put everything back to stock. The only new parts that i introducted was the NEW sway bar bushings.

Now, the car is fine. I put it on ramps (not jacks) this morning, i loosened the front control arm nuts (left and right) and then i re-torqued them. I also moved the sway bar links a little (they looked a little tilted) so they look straight. All clunks/knocks are gone now. I hope that they will NOT come back, ever again.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:10 PM

Glad you fixed it!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:28 AM

had the same problem, its the exhaust tubing, but its wird tho you didnt touch it for it to get loose or anything