5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Exhaust leak :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:14 PM
On the pedobear bandwagon

Exhaust leak :(

Well after annoying me for about a week... I finally got my car on a lift so that I could figure out where my exhaust leak was coming from. It's coming from the flange where the pipe starts to go above the axle. Living in Illinois... it's rusted pretty bad anyways... Should I just break down and get either the Cattman or Budget bpipe(I think that's what I need)? Any other brands? Just get the OEM replacement (@ dealer cost)? Let me know what you guys would do. I've already got a Ypipe and muffler....
Thanks.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Driving is the next best thing

You could get it rewelded for like 40 - 50 bucks.

I had the same exact problem, and for some stupid reason I ended up buying a rear section from Cattman. (instead of going the right way) Off course, now my car sounds much better, looks better from the rear and even pulls a little better at the top of the RPM range; but does it worth $400?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DrKlop
even pulls a little better at the top of the RPM range; but does it worth $400?

A Cattman muffler will gove NO noticable gains. If anything in a Cat-back gives any form of gain it is the B-Pipe and that is only max 5hp. You only have the Muffler, sorry to rain on your parade, but that perfomance gain is in your head...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax

A Cattman muffler will gove NO noticable gains. If anything in a Cat-back gives any form of gain it is the B-Pipe and that is only max 5hp. You only have the Muffler, sorry to rain on your parade, but that perfomance gain is in your head...
That's exactly what I thought when my exhaust was fully stocks. I was not expecting any performance gains when I was buying it, but yet I felt the difference. It didn't change anything under 5k but with open VIAS it does pull better than stock. Well, at least that's what I think, and it's definitely not placebo because, as I said before, I did not expect to see any difference.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
That's exactly what I thought when my exhaust was fully stocks. I was not expecting any performance gains when I was buying it, but yet I felt the difference. It didn't change anything under 5k but with open VIAS it does pull better than stock. Well, at least that's what I think, and it's definitely not placebo because, as I said before, I did not expect to see any difference.

I have Headers, HF Cat and a Cattman B-Pipe and I felt NO difference when I pulled off my Cattman Muffler to back on a stock muffler.

So if anyone if going to feel a difference between a stock and Cattman muffler it will be me.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jdmaxima89
Well after annoying me for about a week... I finally got my car on a lift so that I could figure out where my exhaust leak was coming from. It's coming from the flange where the pipe starts to go above the axle. Living in Illinois... it's rusted pretty bad anyways... Should I just break down and get either the Cattman or Budget bpipe(I think that's what I need)? Any other brands? Just get the OEM replacement (@ dealer cost)? Let me know what you guys would do. I've already got a Ypipe and muffler....
Thanks.

If you can spring for the Cattman B-Pipe just do it...
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 PM

I have Headers, HF Cat and a Cattman B-Pipe and I felt NO difference when I pulled off my Cattman Muffler to back on a stock muffler.

So if anyone if going to feel a difference between a stock and Cattman muffler it will be me.
that's all I can say. lol
Old 07-12-2006, 03:26 AM
It's business time.

Why would someone with other exhaust mods feel the affect of another mod over someone with a stock setup?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:09 AM

Might want to check out a thread I started late last year. Should be helpful and most importantly is cheap and DIY.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=445956
Old 07-12-2006, 06:34 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Pri63
Might want to check out a thread I started late last year. Should be helpful and most importantly is cheap and DIY.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=445956
OT: Whatever happened to your most recent leak?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:49 AM

[QUOTE=DrKlop]You could get it rewelded for like 40 - 50 bucks.QUOTE]

I don't really think that is an option. It's rusted pretty badly... I think I'm gonna go ahead and spend the $275 for the Cattman Bpipe. If I'm correct... that replaces from the cat... all the way to the flange on the muffler... right?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by jdmaxima89
If I'm correct... that replaces from the cat... all the way to the flange on the muffler... right?

Yes it does.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
Why would someone with other exhaust mods feel the affect of another mod over someone with a stock setup?

If it was that restricitive it would show up even more with the increase of flow from the other mods.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:14 AM

Well... Brian Cattman is going to call me back, but his Bpipe is 275 + shipping. Budget would be 290 shipped, but that is Canadian dollars... so roughly 255 shipped US. I don't know which one I'm going to go with yet... but is the Bpipe going to change the exhaust tone? I mean, it will obviously be different than a leaky exhaust, but will it change the sound of the setup I had before?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
OT: Whatever happened to your most recent leak?
took it to smith's in convington. They told me I had a leak in front manifold and where the front manifold connects to the y-pipe. They said they wouldn't fix it because of something to do with steel bolts in an aluminum block. So i said f it. I got home and looked at the exhaust diagram in the Nissan Service Manual I realized I never put the gasket back where y-pipe connects to the manifold when I originally did the install. I did that this weekend and the car sounds amazing now, a lot quieter and doesn't pop like it used it.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Pri63
took it to smith's in convington. They told me I had a leak in front manifold and where the front manifold connects to the y-pipe. They said they wouldn't fix it because of something to do with steel bolts in an aluminum block. So i said f it. I got home and looked at the exhaust diagram in the Nissan Service Manual I realized I never put the gasket back where y-pipe connects to the manifold when I originally did the install. I did that this weekend and the car sounds amazing now, a lot quieter and doesn't pop like it used it.
Sweet!

That's odd about steel bolts in an aluminum block. What would the block have to do with taking the y-pipe off the exhaust manifolds? Anyway, cheers to fixing it. Jeers to forgetting the gasket in the first place. You have the Cattman Y, right?