5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Maxima Speedometer: Needle is not lined

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:12 PM

2000 Maxima Speedometer: Needle is not lined

2000 Nissan Maxima SE

Hi,

My speedometer needle for the mph is not lined correctly. The speed is at 40 mph. I remember reading in the past on how to get that lined correctly. I had recently bought this new one cause my old one was broke.

The speedometer is not on the car.

All the rest of the needle; rpm, temperature are all resting on the needle rester except for the mph one.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:08 AM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

You can just pull the needle straight off. Connect the cluster to your car. Start the car and lightly push the needle back on. When you put it on just make sure it's resting on the "rester." You should be fine with that.

Now get on the freeway and hit it, let the HHP clock you and see what he says your speed was.
J/K
Old 08-11-2006, 04:43 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Orgullo
You can just pull the needle straight off. Connect the cluster to your car. Start the car and lightly push the needle back on. When you put it on just make sure it's resting on the "rester." You should be fine with that.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Where do you get this information?

You remove the needle rest with a pair of needlenose pliers and turn the needle- gently- ONLY in the counter-clockwise direction until it is resting in the natural resting position. (The natural resting position will most likely be below (past) the needle rest. It is on a 4th gen.) Then you even MORE gently bring the needle up past the rest in a clockwise direction and re-install the needle rest.

You will feel gentle resistance when turning it counter-clockwise. This is the needle actually turning while the center post remains stationary. You should NOT feel and pressure (other than the spring slightly uncoiling) when moving it in the clockwise direction, because the center post will be turning with the needle.

If it were a 4th gen I could tell you the exact speedo needle resting position, but I have never dissected a 5th gen to know where it rests.

If anyone has installed aftermarket gauges, they may know the resting position.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:50 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by tvn_1010
My speedometer needle for the mph is not lined correctly. The speed is at 40 mph. I remember reading in the past on how to get that lined correctly. I had recently bought this new one cause my old one was broke.

The speedometer is not on the car.

All the rest of the needle; rpm, temperature are all resting on the needle rester except for the mph one.
This is an easy fix, if the spring is not bent. See my post above, and/or look for install instructions for indiglo gauges or aftermarket gauge faces- they may tell yo umore abotu where to "clock" the needle when at rest.

I would be worried that the spring in the gauge may be messed up, if it is resting above the needle rest.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:05 AM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Apologies for the mis-information however, I did what I said and I have no problems. I took the car in to make sure it was calibrated correctly and everything was in order.

Just to be safe though follow what phenryiv1 said and you should be cool.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Orgullo
Apologies for the mis-information however, I did what I said and I have no problems. I took the car in to make sure it was calibrated correctly and everything was in order.

Just to be safe though follow what phenryiv1 said and you should be cool.
Do you remember where the needle dropped to when the rest was removed, or did you not remove it?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:04 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Do you remember where the needle dropped to when the rest was removed, or did you not remove it?

I actually marked it with a pencil before I took them off. I know where my idle was and where the temp rest. The only thing that I was really sweating was the gas needle but it worked out. At least I haven't stranded myself somewhere yet!