5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help!!!!! Brake paddle goes down doesn't stop!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:15 AM

Help!!!!! Brake paddle goes down doesn't stop!!

This is my Story My caliper was stuck when i Changed my Brake fluid to valvoline syn power it was working in some time, i jacked the car up and started to change all 4 brakes 2 calipers in the back where stuck i moved them back hammering the caliper back in place reinstalling it back then bleeding all 4 brakes
rear/right front/left rear/left front/right after sucessfully bleeding the brakes i have left the car down and hit 30-50 times on the brake paddle to make it hard so when it became hard i started the car and reversed the car hit the brake and the paddle went all the way down without stopping the car still rolling i had to hit the hand brake to stop slowly what can it be when i hit the brake the back tires weren't brakeing and the front a little i am screwed i think help...

Mike
Old 08-13-2006, 08:33 AM
I C U

you said you HAMMERED the rear calipers back in? IIRC the rears are supposed to be "TWISTED" in. If you did indeed force the caliper piston back in you may have damaged them therefore leading to your problem.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It sounds like you didn't get all the air out of the brake lines for starters. When you bleed the brakes, you need to have two people. Pump the brake pedal multiple times until you get a firm pedal, then undo the brake bleeder valve on the caliper, one wheel at a time until you are no longer getting any air out of the lines. You may have to complete this process on each caliper multiple times. Be sure to close the brake bleeder valve on the caliper as the pedal approaches the limit, so you don't pull air back into the lines. Some kits provide a couple of small plastic hoses that you can put over the bleeder valves, which you can use to assist in the process. If you have the small plastic hoses, you can put them down in a bottle of brake fluid so when you reach the pedal limit, it won't suck air back into the lines. It helps to use a clear bottle or small glass bottle with the hoses of the brake calipers, so you can see when you are no longer pushing air out of the lines. Once you go through that process on each caliper, you should get a firm pedal for braking. Be sure to keep an eye on the fluid in the brake reservoir so that it doesn't get below the minimum level, otherwise you will pull air into the reservoir and you will have to start the process all over.

Are your rear calipers moving to apply pressure to the rotors during the bleeding process?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:48 AM

is there a way to fix that back in place i know i have done the wrong ...
Old 08-13-2006, 09:01 PM

okay they fixed the problem it needed to bleed the brakes and it was fixed phew...