5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

easy way to tell if car has an lsd?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:43 PM

A few pics:

As you can see it's truly a no-frills Maxima - I couldn't be happier (except for the lack of hlsd).
Old 08-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Nice! Congrats on the new car. Keeping the window shades???
Old 08-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice ride. I got lucky finding my 6speed with everything except navi. Thought after my 02 SE auto was totalled that I'd never find a good 6 speed in my price range. Found a few 6sp with either no options or just sunroof but I really wanted leather and HLSD. Traveled to Newport RI to find my baby and couldn't be happier. Enjoy the 6sp. awesome car
Old 08-22-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Nice! Congrats on the new car. Keeping the window shades???
Thank you and funny that you ask. I was thinking about taking them off but they look "stuck on" with some sort of pad. Not sure how to get around it...
Old 08-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Probably just double-sided 3M adheasive strips. Just tug hard then use some goo-gone to remove the residue.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 AM

I have an 03 Maxima SE Titanium Edition 6spd. It has the drilled pedals. I am almost sure the pedals are factory, because they came on all Titanium Edition cars. My transaxle code ends in A, so I guess that means no HLSD

Can someone explain torque steer? I had some sticky tires on the front of my car this summer. On fast takeoffs, I would notice a slight pull to one side then the other, and so on. I'm guessing I wouldn't get this with the HLSD. I autocross my car sometimes, and I bet HLSD would make a big difference there too.

I'll be having a new clutch installed soon, and now I'm thinking I should buy an HLSD from Dave B (reportedly $400) and have it installed at the same time. Would this be a pretty easy thing to do during a clutch job?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 AM

hmm odd i thought all TE cars were hlsd,...weird your code says A...didnt know dave had them for that.. think its more... i think it was a factory option for 400,.. plus it would be alot more unless you can install it yourself...
Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 AM

All 03 6 speed Maxima's sold in Canada have the HLSD. Same goes for the 02's that were built in December 2001 or later.

In the US the HLSD was an option. In 2002 the drilled pedals came with the HLSD. I don't know about 2003.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 6spdmax
Can someone explain torque steer? I had some sticky tires on the front of my car this summer. On fast takeoffs, I would notice a slight pull to one side then the other, and so on. I'm guessing I wouldn't get this with the HLSD. I autocross my car sometimes, and I bet HLSD would make a big difference there too.
The HLSD won't eliminate torque steer. It will reduce it some. Torque steer is inevitable in a FWD car due to things like the tread pattern of the tires, the unequal length of the half shafts, and the road surface.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 AM

On fast takeoffs, I would notice a slight pull to one side then the other, and so on.
That's torque steer
Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 AM

I gave dave my VIN, and according to Nissan it has NO HLSD and is NOT Titanium Edition. However the window sticker says it IS Titanium Edition. The exterior color is Titanium. The wheel finish is brighter than the finish I see on the wheels of most other gen 5.5 Maximas, so I assume its titanium. There are stainless sill plates. There is a compass in the mirror. The steering wheel is black leather with titanium threads, which I think means "titanium-tint accent stitching". There are shiny titanium accents around the shift boot, radio, and center heater vents. There is a 6-disc bose.

There are heated seats and steering wheel. According to the manual, the heated mirrors come on (if so equipped) when you activate the rear window defogger. I've never paid attention, but I will next time I have ice on the mirrors. Dave said these options were part of the titanium package. According to the window sticker, the heated seats/steering wheel/mirrors are part of the "Meridian Edition".

The window sticker does not list LSD.

I always thought the drilled aluminum pedals were part of the titanium package. Perhaps the dealer or the original owner added them. They have "Nokya Motorsports Japan" stamped on them. I may be able to find out from the original owner if he added them.

Dave said this car was built later than any 03 Maxima he's ever heard of. That is consistent with the report from the original owner. It was the only 03 left on the lot. He did not like the looks of the 04s, so he bought it. Maybe it was built really late in the game and they wanted to use up some TE parts.

I got a quote for the HLSD. $500 + shipping.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:55 AM

The exterior color is Titanium. The wheel finish is brighter than the finish I see on the wheels of most other gen 5.5 Maximas, so I assume its titanium. There are stainless sill plates. There is a compass in the mirror. The steering wheel is black leather with titanium threads, which I think means "titanium-tint accent stitching". There are shiny titanium accents around the shift boot, radio, and center heater vents. There is a 6-disc bose.

There are heated seats and steering wheel. According to the manual, the heated mirrors come on (if so equipped) when you activate the rear window defogger. I've never paid attention, but I will next time I have ice on the mirrors. Dave said these options were part of the titanium package. According to the window sticker, the heated seats/steering wheel/mirrors are part of the "Meridian Edition".
Sure sounds like Titanium Edition to me Maybe that car just got overlooked for the HLSD... unless somebody went through ALOT of trouble to install those options aftermarket
Old 01-10-2009, 10:58 AM
No more Maximas...

I'll be having a new clutch installed soon, and now I'm thinking I should buy an HLSD from Dave B (reportedly $400) and have it installed at the same time. Would this be a pretty easy thing to do during a clutch job?
Not really. You'll be paying a fair amount of labor for tearing the trans open.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by wyche89
Sure sounds like Titanium Edition to me Maybe that car just got overlooked for the HLSD... unless somebody went through ALOT of trouble to install those options aftermarket
I'm pretty sure all the TE stuff was installed at factory, since it is on the window sticker. But when dave looked up the VIN, it wasn't listed as a TE. That's why I thought maybe they decided on the fly (at the plant) to use up some TE parts on the last few 03s that were made. That way the company ends up making an extra $999 instead of ending up with a bunch of useless parts they won't be able to use once they retool for the 04s.

Also, I looked at another pic of the stock drilled pedals. They are definitely different than mine. So that answers the question about whether the original owner added them (he obviously did). I'm guessing the stock drilled pedals aren't made by Nokya, or at least don't have it stamped on them.

Last edited by 6spdmax; 01-10-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yay for 2006
Old 04-08-2009, 07:23 PM

trying to troubleshoot trans.

Hi, I didn't want to open a new thread because my main question is LSD open differential related. Here's some background, I bought a 2003 Maxima from an auction, it was in an accident. Front wheel was crooked (turned out to be a bent strut and bent tie rod. My problem however is that the car doesn't move (has no torque or possibly clutch won't fully disengage, if that's even possible) Here's some of the symptoms:
1.When it's in gear and I release the clutch the engine DOES NOT stall, whether I'm in 1st or 6th it makes no difference (this is when standing still btw)
2.When the car is in gear and I accelerate, it moves so slow I can only compare it to the speed of someone pushing the car, and this is regardless of how much I accelerate.
Now, I've had at least 5 people tell me that the clutch is gone, but last night, I talked to the previous owner of the car and He said the clutch had only 5k miles on it at the time of the accident, and the car was running perfect prior to the accident.
I've read alot in the past few days on the HLSD and the open differential manual transmissions. This particular car does not have the HLSD cause it has an A at the end of the transmission code and not an H.
With all that being said, I'm thinking: "COULD IT JUST BE A BAD AXLE"?
From what I understood about the open differentials... If one wheel (axle) has no traction (could be possible if axle is completely shot I suppose) wouldn't the other wheel (the one with traction) have an extremely low torque and therefore not be able to pull the car? I mean, I could stand in front of the car while someone is driving it in 1st gear and I can literally stop it from moving. If I'm wrong about this assumption could someone with better understanding of the way the differential works explain why I'm wrong or offer a different possible explanation? I'm trying everything in my power to keep from having to remove the transmission if I can help it.

Last edited by rezinflux; 04-08-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:37 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by rezinflux
Hi, I didn't want to open a new thread because my main question is LSD open differential related. Here's some background, I bought a 2003 Maxima from an auction, it was in an accident. Front wheel was crooked (turned out to be a bent strut and bent tie rod. My problem however is that the car doesn't move (has no torque or possibly clutch won't fully disengage, if that's even possible) Here's some of the symptoms:
1.When it's in gear and I release the clutch the engine DOES NOT stall, whether I'm in 1st or 6th it makes no difference (this is when standing still btw)
2.When the car is in gear and I accelerate, it moves so slow I can only compare it to the speed of someone pushing the car, and this is regardless of how much I accelerate.
Now, I've had at least 5 people tell me that the clutch is gone, but last night, I talked to the previous owner of the car and He said the clutch had only 5k miles on it at the time of the accident, and the car was running perfect prior to the accident.
I've read alot in the past few days on the HLSD and the open differential manual transmissions. This particular car does not have the HLSD cause it has an A at the end of the transmission code and not an H.
With all that being said, I'm thinking: "COULD IT JUST BE A BAD AXLE"?
From what I understood about the open differentials... If one wheel (axle) has no traction (could be possible if axle is completely shot I suppose) wouldn't the other wheel (the one with traction) have an extremely low torque and therefore not be able to pull the car? I mean, I could stand in front of the car while someone is driving it in 1st gear and I can literally stop it from moving. If I'm wrong about this assumption could someone with better understanding of the way the differential works explain why I'm wrong or offer a different possible issue? I'm trying everything in my power to keep from having to remove the transmission if I can help it.
At a stop, what does it do if you rev it up while it's in gear, clutch engaged?

You first said the car doesn't move, then you say it's slow when you accelerate? Which is it?

If you're driving the car and you floor it at low speed in a high gear, does it respond normally, or do the RPMs shoot up? If/when the RPMs do, does the speedo as well?

If one wheel doesn't have traction with the open diff, virtually (if not completely) all of the torque goes to that wheel.

Have you not looked at the axle yet? Put it in a lift (or jackstands) and gotten underneath while someone else 'drives' it?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
At a stop, what does it do if you rev it up while it's in gear, clutch engaged?

You first said the car doesn't move, then you say it's slow when you accelerate? Which is it?

If you're driving the car and you floor it at low speed in a high gear, does it respond normally, or do the RPMs shoot up? If/when the RPMs do, does the speedo as well?

If one wheel doesn't have traction with the open diff, virtually (if not completely) all of the torque goes to that wheel.

Have you not looked at the axle yet? Put it in a lift (or jackstands) and gotten underneath while someone else 'drives' it?
1. At a stop, while it's in gear and I rev it up, the RPM shoots up and the car moves forward just a bit (not consistent with how much I accelerate it)
I don't remember what it does while it's in gear, and my foot on the clutch and giving it gas. I'll let you know tomorrow.
EDIT: In 1st, foot on the clutch, and I give it gas, the speedo doesn't move, the RPM shoot up, the car doesn't move.

2. It does move, but it's extremely slow.

3. No, it does not respond normally, the RPMs do shoot up, I didn't look at the speedo. Will check that tomorrow as well.
EDIT: While in 1st, moving slowly, and I give it gas the RPMs do shoot up, but the speedometer doesn't even flinch.

4. Thanks for reaffirming what I understood about the open differential.

5. I did look at the axle but did not take the boots off. The inner boot (closer to the transmission) seems to be leaking a milk chocolate colored, not too thick grease. And after I replaced the strut, and inner tie rod, the axle still seemed to have a very slight wobble to it, while it was spinning. I did make a little video of the axle spinning, I'll try and upload it somewhere and show a link to it.

Here's a video of how the axle looks while it's spinning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHC0Jd71Pbs

Here's a video of the speedo and RPMs as it's in gear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00mf4lfYk58

Last edited by rezinflux; 04-09-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:25 PM

I've got drilled pedals, and my transaxle codes ends in H
Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM
The Whistle go WOOOOO

Originally Posted by rezinflux
1. At a stop, while it's in gear and I rev it up, the RPM shoots up and the car moves forward just a bit (not consistent with how much I accelerate it)
I don't remember what it does while it's in gear, and my foot on the clutch and giving it gas. I'll let you know tomorrow.
EDIT: In 1st, foot on the clutch, and I give it gas, the speedo doesn't move, the RPM shoot up, the car doesn't move.

2. It does move, but it's extremely slow.

3. No, it does not respond normally, the RPMs do shoot up, I didn't look at the speedo. Will check that tomorrow as well.
EDIT: While in 1st, moving slowly, and I give it gas the RPMs do shoot up, but the speedometer doesn't even flinch.

4. Thanks for reaffirming what I understood about the open differential.

5. I did look at the axle but did not take the boots off. The inner boot (closer to the transmission) seems to be leaking a milk chocolate colored, not too thick grease. And after I replaced the strut, and inner tie rod, the axle still seemed to have a very slight wobble to it, while it was spinning. I did make a little video of the axle spinning, I'll try and upload it somewhere and show a link to it.

Here's a video of how the axle looks while it's spinning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHC0Jd71Pbs

Here's a video of the speedo and RPMs as it's in gear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00mf4lfYk58
when the car is revved up and moving in first gear, try to push in the clutch and shift to second, If it grinds really bad I would say clutch.
If it shifts smooth then I would say axle.
Does it vibrate in the floorboard at all when you hit the gas while in gear?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:47 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Ahmad_1290
I've got drilled pedals, and my transaxle codes ends in H
So yes, you have HLSD.

Or did you have a question? I didn't see another post by you in this thread.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
The Whistle go WOOOOO

haha wtf?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Weeble1
when the car is revved up and moving in first gear, try to push in the clutch and shift to second, If it grinds really bad I would say clutch.
If it shifts smooth then I would say axle.
Does it vibrate in the floorboard at all when you hit the gas while in gear?
He already pulled the trans, clutch was toast.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:53 PM
The Whistle go WOOOOO

He already pulled the trans, clutch was toast.
oh my B. I didn't see anything about it in the thread.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:54 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Weeble1
oh my B. I didn't see anything about it in the thread.
Heh it isn't, we talked about it over AIM.

That reminds me, I'm tethered through my cell so I can't talk on it, but hit me up on AIM with your question.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:56 PM
The Whistle go WOOOOO

Heh it isn't, we talked about it over AIM.

That reminds me, I'm tethered through my cell so I can't talk on it, but hit me up on AIM with your question.
Don't feel like downloading it right now. haha. I'll PM you
Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 AM

guys i have an altima SE-R, blew my stock trans and went around looking for the maxima with LSD. i found out that if you look in the tranny the NON LSD ones have the number ending in 66 where the LSD one number ending in 76. Thats prolly the easiest way to tell!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by NismoAltSE-R
guys i have an altima SE-R, blew my stock trans and went around looking for the maxima with LSD. i found out that if you look in the tranny the NON LSD ones have the number ending in 66 where the LSD one number ending in 76. Thats prolly the easiest way to tell!
You might need A certain axel too to make it work...I want A canadian auto tranny ...mine never dies to let me swap