5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by axima24
Where can i get the instructions to change out my gauge cluster in my 00 se
The ESM (electronic service manual) is probably your best bet. You can download it here:

http://boredmder.com/FSM/Nissan/Maxima/
Old 01-17-2009, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by liljohn00se
hi everyone im new to the site i have a 2000 se thats is a custom sherwood green. i already have a CAI,and a warpspeed y pipe just trying to get some good input on exhausts and headlight upgrades cause i like the hid lites on the newer maxes. and i like some of the exhaust sounds on the 3.5s they sound nice an deep not all riceboy sounding but i havent found a nice sounding exhaust for the 3.0l. thank for your time everybody.
Welcome to the Forums John!

Take a look in this Sticky! There should be some good info in there.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:57 AM

Maxima.org strikes AGAIN!!!

I am finding the information available on this site, to be endless!!! Even with these so called " dead links". If you are persistent enough you WILL find the info you need !!! A MESSAGE TO ALL NOOBIES!!!, FROM A NOOBIE!!!
Instead of doing just a few quick searches and giving up, stick with it , and remember the search is only as good as the input from you!!!
There is no doubt a thread here that with pertain to your question. Think about it , search again , change your seacrch words, use the same ones but move them around!!!!!
for example this week i realized i had a highbeam on the passenger site out , so, as many people would i purchased new bulbs!!
but to my discovery when removing the bulb and replacing there was no change , no passenger highbeam, so of to this site i went!!!!
and before i knoew it i was removing my DRL module, opening it up, and discovering that pesky solder problem!!! i quick dab later and BOOYAA!! perfect working order!!!
anyhow , the point of this post was just to give praise to the people that keep this site going and to those who make it the "Encyclopedia de Maximus"
Thank you!!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:50 AM

^^ dcnded, a newbie to this these forums you might be, but a noobie you are not. Very well put together message. Congrats and welcome to the Org.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:56 PM

i need help to post a new thread. it doesnt let me. i can only poston a thread allready made. when i wanna do a new thread, its says that my acount is waiting for activation or might be desactivated and i just sign yesterday. what is my problem and what can i do to fix it cuz i need help with my maxima 01. thank you
Old 01-18-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by greenmachine
i need help to post a new thread. it doesnt let me. i can only poston a thread allready made. when i wanna do a new thread, its says that my acount is waiting for activation or might be desactivated and i just sign yesterday. what is my problem and what can i do to fix it cuz i need help with my maxima 01. thank you
post your question in here as youre a noob....you need to make certain amount of posts before you can start a thread you cant just register and spam threads....what do you need help with?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:15 PM

oh didnt know that but thanks for you wanting to help me. lol. ok i got a 5th generation maxima and i had and iac problem for a little while but car is driving fine. tried changing it and it was worst so i put the old one back in. a couple weeks ago, my alternator let go. since like tuesday, my tcs and slip lights are on and when they are on, my car bucks. cant accelerate and stalls on me all the time. i just went to try starting it and same thing, bucks and stalls. battery is fine just cheaked the voltage. does that have to do with the iac? doubt it but still asking with someone with more experience then me. just bought it in july and i love it. just stupid minor problems. i need help cause i cant drive it. does anyone know of anything related to this???
Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 PM

first off did you try to search the forums at all?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 PM

OMG I need your help guys! Last week someone broke into my car and stole my 2 front headrests. They broke the window to get in but I have already replaced the window. I've been trying to find the headrests for my car for some time now and have no zero luck. I have a 2002 maxima with the light grey, not beige, leather interior. I need both of the 2 front headrests and nissan parts told me it would be about 500 bucks for the pair!! Can you help? During these economic times I can't afford to spend so much money on headrests but I don't see any other alternatives. I'm located in NYC, btw. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
first off did you try to search the forums at all?
yes i did but nothing with the bucking. and its a bit of everything. and thre is no specific answer too about the tcs and slip lights on and the car not running well. usually, the tcs just wont work but the car is suppose to be fine. not fine, lights are on, car is no good. i would say 1 out of 10 cranks car is fine but 9 out of 10, as soon as i press on the gas pedal, it stalls. weird
Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Yaya41
My a/c will come on but my fan will not blow. Nada. No air. I have checked the fuses. They are good. Any suggestions on what to check & how to find out what the problem is before I take it into shop to get my eye's poked out w/costs...relays...blower...?? Thank you.
UPDATE - SUCCESS! Ya'll are awesome! (Texas thing...) So, called closest "junk yard" and ended up e-mailing w/a very helpful gentleman who, obviously, understood I was learning about diagnosing my problem (thought it was blower motor) b/c I told him how much time I've spent reading the posts on this site to learn what part I needed... I ended up paying $75 for a (motor & regulator) for my passenger side window (behind driver), no credit here, I had a friend put that in...but the auto guy gave me the resistor off the same car he took the window part. Just gave it to me. He also kept the used blower motor handy in case I called him Monday to say I needed it (would cost me $50). TODAY - I took the glove box out...seriously, due to posts I read here, and changeD the power module and tested my blower; my blower is fine...the prob WAS the power module (resistor)...and now, I have heat & AC again! So my window is working again, my blower is blowing again all for $75...and LARGE part b/c you all educated me enough that I was able to find the parts I needed and do some hands on! Thank you again!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 98bklynmax
OMG I need your help guys! Last week someone broke into my car and stole my 2 front headrests. They broke the window to get in but I have already replaced the window. I've been trying to find the headrests for my car for some time now and have no zero luck. I have a 2002 maxima with the light grey, not beige, leather interior. I need both of the 2 front headrests and nissan parts told me it would be about 500 bucks for the pair!! Can you help? During these economic times I can't afford to spend so much money on headrests but I don't see any other alternatives. I'm located in NYC, btw. Thanks in advance!
This isnt exactly the best bet...But its probably a little safer than driving around regularly with NO headrests 20 bucks can get you one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-O...4506.m20.l1116

also give Dave B a call to see if he can get you something a little cheaper.........
1-888-254-6060 ask for Dave Burnette.....He works at southpoint nissan
Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 AM

dave is awesome and got me a fair price but its still so far out of my price range. I wanted to know if anyone can see a forseeable issue with looks etc, if i buy 00-01 or 04-07 maxima headrests? will it look strange or clash and willl it even fit properly? I'm considering upgrading in April and I wanted to trade in the max so will the dealer look awkwardly at it or hold it against me? any input would really help me make a sound decision. thanks!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:40 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by dcnded
I am finding the information available on this site, to be endless!!! Even with these so called " dead links". If you are persistent enough you WILL find the info you need !!! A MESSAGE TO ALL NOOBIES!!!, FROM A NOOBIE!!!
Instead of doing just a few quick searches and giving up, stick with it , and remember the search is only as good as the input from you!!!
There is no doubt a thread here that with pertain to your question. Think about it , search again , change your seacrch words, use the same ones but move them around!!!!!
for example this week i realized i had a highbeam on the passenger site out , so, as many people would i purchased new bulbs!!
but to my discovery when removing the bulb and replacing there was no change , no passenger highbeam, so of to this site i went!!!!
and before i knoew it i was removing my DRL module, opening it up, and discovering that pesky solder problem!!! i quick dab later and BOOYAA!! perfect working order!!!
anyhow , the point of this post was just to give praise to the people that keep this site going and to those who make it the "Encyclopedia de Maximus"
Thank you!!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM

with my tcs and slip lights on in my maxima 01, does that affect anything on the throttle? i cant pass 2500 rpm and when i press on the pedal fast enough, it will stall. i dont know what to do!! help please!!! all the thread dont mention nothing about not being able to pass 2500 rpm when tcs and slip lights are on
Old 01-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 98bklynmax
Heres 1 for 35 bucks.says 00' max.should work with '02.Its only 1 but hey..Its saving $215 bucks at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-O...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by memphisballer; 01-19-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Hello everybody,
Small question... Dont know much about car audio... Would I be abble to install a sub, amplifier and wiring without replacing the OEM radio (boss)? Sorry if it seems dumb, I kidda like the stock look.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by afrofranzy
Hello everybody,
Small question... Dont know much about car audio... Would I be abble to install a sub, amplifier and wiring without replacing the OEM radio (boss)? Sorry if it seems dumb, I kidda like the stock look.
you will need something similar to this

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4...er+level+input

try search function in audio/video section.Lots and lots of info on this.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by memphisballer
you will need something similar to this

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4...er+level+input

try search function in audio/video section.Lots and lots of info on this.
I have that exact one just sitting around... No more use for it...
Old 01-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do i need to replace Front Exhaust Tube?

I have 01 Maxima SE, 45K mi. About 8 months ago I got a CES, my mechanic told me it was P0420 and I should take it to a Nissan Dealership. I did, they reprogrammed the ECU free of charge. A few months ago I got a CES again, and it was P0420 again. I didn’t have time to take it to the dealer and the CES went away for a month and just came back a few weeks ago. I took it to the dealer and he tells me that along with P0420 there were some other codes and after extensive troubleshooting it’s not a problem with a Catalytic Converter.
I’m being told that I need to replace the Front Exhaust Tube and the Top O2 censor. Also the exhaust system needs to be cleaned. Total price: $1200 without cleaning.
I told them I don’t have that much money, and if they just replace the catalytic converter that’s still under the warranty and not try to screw me. Their answer is that Nissan will deny their claim based on what they’ve found. So I took my car back and paid $120 for diagnostics.
My question is to all you Maxima enthusiasts does this make sense at all?
And if it does, what are the part #’s that need to be replaced? I can’t find anything that’s called a Front Exhaust Tube or a Top O2 sensor. And how does one clean the exhaust system?
Thank you for your help!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 AM

i may be misunderstanding, but if i was you i would by the 02 sensor yourself and look for a how to on it...then get a custom exhaust set up done.....would be cheaper that 1200......
Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

frankencar carb. eo number

hi,
i just recently bought a preowned maxima 02 SE with a frankencar intake already installed in it. it so happens i had to take a smog test but couldn't beacuse there is no EO number for this intake. the previous owner didnt have the stock intake so i cant replace it and take the test.. any suggestions? i live in southern california are there any test centers that will pass it for me or can anyone give me a cheaper intake that i could change it to?
any help will be appreceited

thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by gkushnir
I have 01 Maxima SE, 45K mi. About 8 months ago I got a CES, my mechanic told me it was P0420 and I should take it to a Nissan Dealership. I did, they reprogrammed the ECU free of charge. A few months ago I got a CES again, and it was P0420 again. I didn’t have time to take it to the dealer and the CES went away for a month and just came back a few weeks ago. I took it to the dealer and he tells me that along with P0420 there were some other codes and after extensive troubleshooting it’s not a problem with a Catalytic Converter.
I’m being told that I need to replace the Front Exhaust Tube and the Top O2 censor. Also the exhaust system needs to be cleaned. Total price: $1200 without cleaning.
I told them I don’t have that much money, and if they just replace the catalytic converter that’s still under the warranty and not try to screw me. Their answer is that Nissan will deny their claim based on what they’ve found. So I took my car back and paid $120 for diagnostics.
And if it does, what are the part #’s that need to be replaced? I can’t find anything that’s called a Front Exhaust Tube or a Top O2 sensor. And how does one clean the exhaust system?
Thank you for your help!
with 45K so many problems? are u sure that u car has 45K? i think u know what dealers do be4 sell the car they always change milige on car just for 250$, 2001 car 8 years and 45K unbelievable.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Herofmine
with 45K so many problems? are u sure that u car has 45K? i think u know what dealers do be4 sell the car they always change milige on car just for 250$, 2001 car 8 years and 45K unbelievable.
Totally possible.I purchased '00 I-30 from local infiniti dealership.I requested service history report and same thing happened @ exactly 46,168 mi.same P0420 code.

they always change milige on car just for 250$.
wow! exactly 250 bucks huh??.You sound pretty knowledgeable on this subject.I'll make sure i stay clear of any max sold by u on the .org

Last edited by memphisballer; 01-20-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by gkushnir
Thank you for your help!
You should post the "other codes" that were diagnosed. If it is true that your car has 45k miles you might want to try a different dealership and/or call Nissan consumers affairs directly. If you paid for the diagnostic you should take a look at the receipt/report. The actual names of the parts needed for the repair should be listed there. Not sure what is a "front exhaust tube" nor do I know what's involved in the "cleaning".

Last edited by Nelsito65; 01-20-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought it new, but this P0420 code seems to be common for Maxima's.I just want to know if what the dealer told me sounds legit, and how I should go about it. I don’t know much about cars, so I’ll have to take it to my local mechanic with the diagnosis I got from the dealer, so I need help with what exact parts I need and how much parts and labor should run for.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

bump for help...
Does anyone know where I can find injector clips for my 03 Maxima? A rat got into the engine bay in my garage and chewed off two injector clips! I need some help. The dealership where I live says that I would need to buy a whole new harness or get one from a salvage yard. Does anyone know a part number? Thanks a lot! -Ricardo
Old 01-20-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by memphisballer
Totally possible.I purchased '00 I-30 from local infiniti dealership.I requested service history report and same thing happened @ exactly 46,168 mi.same P0420 code.

wow! exactly 250 bucks huh??.You sound pretty knowledgeable on this subject.I'll make sure i stay clear of any max sold by u on the .org
lol i'm not a dealer and i never sell cars, but i know about this be4, when u buying a car u can see from the look how many milige it has for real from interior and exterior look. good luck
Old 01-20-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShyRage007
bump for help...
Does anyone know where I can find injector clips for my 03 Maxima? A rat got into the engine bay in my garage and chewed off two injector clips! I need some help. The dealership where I live says that I would need to buy a whole new harness or get one from a salvage yard. Does anyone know a part number? Thanks a lot! -Ricardo
That really wasnt a bump for any good reason, and clearly you did not use the search function or even look in the classifieds....
try this thread right below its a 03 maxima with rear end damage... good seller
click --->http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-part-out.html
Old 01-20-2009, 04:23 PM

That really wasnt a bump for any good reason, and clearly you did not use the search function or even look in the classifieds....
try this thread right below its a 03 maxima with rear end damage... good seller
click --->http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-part-out.html
Just get a new one. (16603E) Also, not many people in the classifieds selling fuel injector clips......

http://www.courtesyparts.com/16603e-...-p-193631.html

Old 01-20-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Just get a new one. (16603E) Also, not many people in the classifieds selling fuel injector clips......

http://www.courtesyparts.com/16603e-...-p-193631.html

maybe maybe not...however since it is a damaged car its worth a shot
Old 01-20-2009, 04:31 PM

maybe maybe not...however since it is a damaged car its worth a shot
Dude, it's $.70 each. I'm sure the guy wanting the part would not want the guy parting his car out to go through the hassle of removing them.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Dude, it's $.70 each. I'm sure the guy wanting the part would not want the guy parting his car out to go through the hassle of removing them.
well im sure youre right! i dont usually replace my injector clips unless i get rats in my engine....so i shouldve known they would be very very expensive...lol maybe i shouldve thought about what it was
Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM

noob alert!

hey all, i've been browsing maxima.org for a few weeks now, and finally am a maxima owner! i picked up a 2000 maxima se tonight for $3400. it needs a little work, but simply couldn't pass it up for the price!

first things first. i already replaced the battery, yet it wont start the first turn, but always the second...it'll run for a second the die down, but then its fine

second, whats everyone running for brake pads? the car does need new pads

i look forward to being a member here!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by cole
noob alert!

hey all, i've been browsing maxima.org for a few weeks now, and finally am a maxima owner! i picked up a 2000 maxima se tonight for $3400. it needs a little work, but simply couldn't pass it up for the price!

first things first. i already replaced the battery, yet it wont start the first turn, but always the second...it'll run for a second the die down, but then its fine

only way your buy can resemble mine any more is if your a fat hispanic lol. i got my 2k max for 3400. had the same problems are u. i changed out the coil packs. still did it, and i know what it is....the flywheel was never resurfaced on my cars last clutch job(prior to me). also how much miles do you have on the car, maybe a new fuel filter. as far as brakes, i jst go with life time brakes from autozone im cheap.

Juan
Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
You should post the "other codes" that were diagnosed. If it is true that your car has 45k miles you might want to try a different dealership and/or call Nissan consumers affairs directly. If you paid for the diagnostic you should take a look at the receipt/report. The actual names of the parts needed for the repair should be listed there. Not sure what is a "front exhaust tube" nor do I know what's involved in the "cleaning".
I wasn't told what the other codes were even after I asked what they were. The receipt states that I need "Front Tube and O2 Sensor". Price of repair $1200.
I've reached out to the Director of Operations for the Auto group that's running the dealership and requested the diag codes and exact parts that need to be replaced. I'll post it as soon as I get it.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:24 AM

ok wel i went ahead and bought a mass air flow, an iac and now im looking for a ecm. can anyone help me find a ecm. dealer wants between 600$ and 1000$. where can i find one asap. my car doesnt run good and i will change all the parts at the same time to try to avoid frying anything else or again. that stupid comon maxima problem. hate it but imma get down to it, find the problem and once i do, everyone will know and no more of this stupid problem. no one actually fixed it and said my car is fixed, no problem, never came back. Ill be the first. lol
Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by cole
noob alert!

Many,Many threads on this matter.Using search helps alot.Here are a few.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...rs-thread.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...u-buy-why.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ar-brakes.html

As far as the car dying out.Do you have an CEL light??.You can get the code pulled @ an Autozone and come back and use search fuction for info on the code.Sounds like MAF sensor though.Welcome to the org as well.Im gonna say this is the most knowledgeable site for max enthusiasts out there.

Last edited by memphisballer; 01-21-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by greenmachine
ok wel i went ahead and bought a mass air flow, an iac and now im looking for a ecm. can anyone help me find a ecm. dealer wants between 600$ and 1000$. where can i find one asap. my car doesnt run good and i will change all the parts at the same time to try to avoid frying anything else or again. that stupid comon maxima problem. hate it but imma get down to it, find the problem and once i do, everyone will know and no more of this stupid problem. no one actually fixed it and said my car is fixed, no problem, never came back. Ill be the first. lol
You can call your local salvage yards. Ebay has a couple.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I installed a new clutch and it is SUPER soft. I read some other articles about bleeding the line, but it was installed by a shop and they said they did that. It feels really really soft. very comparable to the gas pedal with the clutch engaging at the very bottom.

I also noticed that in the morning when it is really cold, I can let off my clutch while in Neutral and my revs drop very slightly like there is pressure being put on the engine. When I put the clutch back in, it goes to normal idle. The difference is very small, but definitely there.

Any ideas?

I also can't post new threads on the main page. Is that normal?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread