5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:21 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Credit to SEmy2K2go & phenryiv1:

This thread is for the new members so that they are able to post a question. It can be ANYTHING that is 5th generation related. If we think it is important, we will either answer or make it into its own thread. If not, we will delete it.

This is only for LEGIT 5th Gen questions that may be specific to one user.

This is for noobs only and will be open only as long as we feel like maintaining it. SPAM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

This idea was brought to my attention by phenryiv1 in the I30(35) section

ALL MEMBER RESPONSES MUST BA A QUOTE OF THE ORIGINAL QUESTION! New questions, obviously, need not have any quotes.

5th gen FAQs (READ ME! PLEASE! READ ME!):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=36867

Modification and other HOW-Tos (tells you how to do common things done to 5th Gens):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=33563

ECU Fault codes or Check Engine light diagnostics (5th Gen):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=374481

THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR SEARCH!!!
How do I search? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=378748

Even if you are new and have no search privileges, you can read the Stickies (which we are working on to update), use the Google search method, or scan through the forum pages using the Find function on the browser (what I did when I first joined), or any other methods of research you may prefer, prior to just blurting out a question that has probably been asked before.

Please refrain from postwhoring in this thread. Since this thread is meant to help those who still cannot start their own threads, postwhoring just to reach 15 posts is inexcusable.

Last edited by SEmy2K2go; 07-27-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:26 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by four

I've got one!

I'm picking up an 02 today. Bought it on Saturday. I really only have 3 real questions that I am having difficulty finding out.

1.) The 02 that I'm picking up has the DataDots stickers. Im assuming the previous owner already bought the car in for the recall. Has this recall substantially help reduce the theft of our headlights/HIDs?

2.) Aside from MAFs issues, I've read that there are oil leaks on the 3.5. What is usually the main reason why they leak, and is there anything I can do, other than general maintenance, to prevent the leaks?

3.)I'm probably going to keep the car bone stock. Has anyone else here kept their car relatively stock (mechanically)? If so, what other problems have you encountered?

THanks!
From what I have read, this recall has put a dent in the theft of the 5.5 gen headlights. I woudl check to be sure that the headlight recall was performed before I got too confident, however.

Welcome to the site.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
From what I have read, this recall has put a dent in the theft of the 5.5 gen headlights. I woudl check to be sure that the headlight recall was performed before I got too confident, however.

Welcome to the site.
Thanks,
Im pretty sure the recall was done. THe stickers on the headlight are there. I didnt check to see if it was on the windows though.

I'll check to see if the ballast was relocated.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:03 AM
westler92

Ok I own a 00 Maxima. I know that ppl here dont like talking about headlight removal. In my opinion, would-be robbers would crowbar the HIDS right out, not gingerly remove the headlights. I plan on doing the AE mod and am ready but would like a little headlight removal assisstance. Can I get a PM with the info.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by westler92
Ok I own a 00 Maxima. I know that ppl here dont like talking about headlight removal. In my opinion, would-be robbers would crowbar the HIDS right out, not gingerly remove the headlights. I plan on doing the AE mod and am ready but would like a little headlight removal assisstance. Can I get a PM with the info.
The 00-01 headlights are not a theft concern at all. And here's a write up on the AE mod:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2190617/3
Old 08-16-2006, 06:29 AM

I've got one!

I'm picking up an 02 today. Bought it on Saturday. I really only have 3 real questions that I am having difficulty finding out.

1.) The 02 that I'm picking up has the DataDots stickers. Im assuming the previous owner already bought the car in for the recall. Has this recall substantially help reduce the theft of our headlights/HIDs?

2.) Aside from MAFs issues, I've read that there are oil leaks on the 3.5. What is usually the main reason why they leak, and is there anything I can do, other than general maintenance, to prevent the leaks?

3.)I'm probably going to keep the car bone stock. Has anyone else here kept their car relatively stock (mechanically)? If so, what other problems have you encountered?

THanks!
1. While it may help deter HID theft, it may result in the thieves causing more damage to your car while trying to get the lights out than if you did not have the data dots.

2. Its not so much leaks, but oil burning. Look through the old threads and you'll find plenty of these discussions. Here's one to start you off:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=486215

3. I've had no problems with mine other than the Bose headunit. Look for the discussions like "Buying a 02-03 Max, what issues should I look out for?".
Old 08-16-2006, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

00 Max, about 135000 miles. Engine codes P0139 and P0430. Is there a way to check if the catalyst converter is bad without replacing O2 sensors? What are the consequences of not replacing the Catalyst Converter if its bad? Are there any consequences of not replacing O2 sensors if they are bad? I know I can't pass emissions, but I don't have to go again for a while. I am so strapped for money. I just had to replace the axles because of the terrible condition of both cV boots. I am slightly concerned as I have to drive over 700 miles from my home in Maryland to my school in Alabama this weekend. Tell me I am not endangering my life.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:45 AM
"tse-tse fly"

sticky?

Old 08-16-2006, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2K3MAX2NV
sticky?

Not yet, we're pretty sure this thread will be bumped up a lot on the first page.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:01 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by BlackEnigma
00 Max, about 135000 miles. Engine codes P0139 and P0430. Is there a way to check if the catalyst converter is bad without replacing O2 sensors? What are the consequences of not replacing the Catalyst Converter if its bad? Are there any consequences of not replacing O2 sensors if they are bad? I know I can't pass emissions, but I don't have to go again for a while. I am so strapped for money. I just had to replace the axles because of the terrible condition of both cV boots. I am slightly concerned as I have to drive over 700 miles from my home in Maryland to my school in Alabama this weekend. Tell me I am not endangering my life.
All of these will result in a decline in fuel economy, but will not endanger your safety.

Unfortunately, your trouble codes are considered "jackpot" codes where there are multiple potential causes. I recommend seeing if you can hook up with someone who has had these codes before and seeing what their fix was. I have an SES light and have seen a 1 mpg decrease due to a bad 02 rear fault- but it may NOT actually be the rear o2- it could be 3-4 other things. It is really a crapshoot, and no dealership or repair shop will guarantee that what they do will actually FIX the problem, unless they just replace both o2s AND the cat...
Old 08-16-2006, 07:02 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by 2K3MAX2NV
sticky?

on b15sentra.net (where I got the idea) it is 15 pages long and is NOT a sticky, but it never leaves the first page. People don't seem to abuse it there.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:18 AM

I have one, not exactly a newb but no where near some of u guys. I'm mostly trying to learn more about these motors and how they work, some stuff is simple others kind of confusing. Specifically, what years between 00 and 01 have an EGR valve, i heard 2000 did and 01 didnt, and what is the difference in the way the engine takes care of emissions? Did it have anything to do with the switch between fed and cali-spec cars?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you, Phenryiv1 and great idea as well. Because of it I was able to get valuable information without a forum official exclaiming "burn him! (in hot motor oil)". Anyway, have a great day. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Banned

I'm the guy who had the worst oil consumption. I had to add a quart every 300 miles. We (well, Redlinemax.com) replaced my engine with one with 28,000 miles on it, so when Corey at Redline and I have a chance, we'll tear down the old engine and find out what the real problem is. I can tell you this much though: my pre-cats were completly shot at 160,000 miles. They were so bad that they actually clogged the main cat causing the engine to die due to excessive back-pressure. Until we tear down the old engine and inspect it, we cannot definitivly say if it was the pre-cats that caused the oil consumption by scoring the rings / piston walls or if the rings went causing the oil consumption and the death of the pre-cats was a consequence of this. Stay tuned, however, and we'll find the problem and the solution sometime within the next couple of months.

Oh, and there were no leaks. It was burning oil. However, there is a documented problem area for leaks: the rear valve cover. It'll leak around the center spark plug and drain into the plug well. If it is left too long, it may foul the plug. It's pretty easy to fix, however, and wouldn't act like a major leak like my oil consumption.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by carsarecool
I have one, not exactly a newb but no where near some of u guys. I'm mostly trying to learn more about these motors and how they work, some stuff is simple others kind of confusing. Specifically, what years between 00 and 01 have an EGR valve, i heard 2000 did and 01 didnt, and what is the difference in the way the engine takes care of emissions? Did it have anything to do with the switch between fed and cali-spec cars?
I believe the cali-spec cars have the EGR, and the non-cali spec don't, but I could have that backwards. The difference isn't in the year so much as whether or not it's cali.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:01 PM

I thought all newer cars had an egr valve?? Like mid-late 1980 or 90's and up

also try howstuffworks.com. good site
Old 08-16-2006, 07:19 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by carsarecool
IIRC they all have EGR valves.

More information about what the EGR valve does:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=EGR+valve

see post #6 in particular
Old 08-16-2006, 11:08 PM

uhh i have a basic question where can i find the thread to open and remove the amber lense in the front headlight of my 2003
thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by felon
uhh i have a basic question where can i find the thread to open and remove the amber lense in the front headlight of my 2003
thanks

try www.innerbean.com/housecor
Old 08-17-2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by rkyat
hey thanks, that link worked out perfectly
Old 08-17-2006, 03:34 PM

Here's my problem: the driver side window opens 3" by itself when I auto-close it. I found a thread about it, read through it, and didn't find any answers. So I'm throwing it out there again in case someone has any updates. Thank you for you time.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:46 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I just picked mine up last night, and its awesome. There are two issues I've ran into though throughout the day today.

1.) When the AC is on, there's a squeakish kinda sound when i'm turning my wheel to the right. (This is under load BTW, when the car is idle and i turn the wheel, there's no noise) Anyone have an idea what it could be? Shoudl I change my belts? The sound sometimes comes on when i hit a series of bumps on the road.

2.) My bose headunit has a mind of its own. Sometimes the display will turn on, sometimes it wont. I saw a few threads regarding this, but it looks like people either swapped out their hu's with a new bose one, or they got aftermarket HU.

Any help would be much appreciated, especially my 1st one.

Thanks

Edit: one more thing. When I hit a pretty deep bump on the road, it seems like you can feel it on the steering wheel. Is that normal?

If anyone thinks it might be serious, please let me know, as Im still covered from all problems from the dealer for 30 days. (they assured me they'd fix anything that was wrong, including the engine)
Old 08-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK, I'm a n00b here but I've been around a bit. However, I didn't have much luck doing a search. Anyway, I recently purchased a 2003 Maxima 6spd with about 46K miles on it. I had the oil changed at a Jiffy Lube (about 2K miles ago) and lately I've noticed the oil light gives a quick flicker and I hear a little rattle when I start the car. I remember issues with other manufacturers where the OEM oil filter had a check valve in it but the aftermarket ones did not. The check valve kept oil from draining back when the engine was off. Am I dealing with a similar situation here or do I need to look elsewhere.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 08-17-2006, 06:26 PM
the org...not what it was

Originally Posted by larryg
OK, I'm a n00b here but I've been around a bit. However, I didn't have much luck doing a search. Anyway, I recently purchased a 2003 Maxima 6spd with about 46K miles on it. I had the oil changed at a Jiffy Lube (about 2K miles ago) and lately I've noticed the oil light gives a quick flicker and I hear a little rattle when I start the car. I remember issues with other manufacturers where the OEM oil filter had a check valve in it but the aftermarket ones did not. The check valve kept oil from draining back when the engine was off. Am I dealing with a similar situation here or do I need to look elsewhere.

Thanks,
Larry
first thing is have you taken it back to Jiffy Lube?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Romster
Here's my problem: the driver side window opens 3" by itself when I auto-close it. I found a thread about it, read through it, and didn't find any answers. So I'm throwing it out there again in case someone has any updates. Thank you for you time.

IIRC, the window "thinks" that all the way up is 3" down. You have to unhook the battery with the windows all the way up....
Again, I don't know, but IIRC I read that on the forum somewhere.

If anyone thinks it might be serious, please let me know, as Im still covered from all problems from the dealer for 30 days. (they assured me they'd fix anything that was wrong, including the engine)

I would get back to the dealer ASAP and get that cheit fixed.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:58 PM

lastly my search isnt working for some reason so can someone post the link to changing out the amber in the tails for a 03'SE? thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 05:38 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by felon
lastly my search isnt working for some reason so can someone post the link to changing out the amber in the tails for a 03'SE? thanks
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=378748
Old 08-18-2006, 10:39 AM

I own a 2003 SE TE and am looking into some nice aftermarket rims, i have never bought aftermarket rims before and i want to buy a decent set that look slick and won't bend too easy($300ea range). i was told if i lower the weight of the rim from the 24lbs (stock wheels) to about 21lbs, the ride would be a little smoother? Is this true?

Any suggestions on a Brand or an actual set? I love the finish on the TE rims.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by MAXI BLUE 03
I own a 2003 SE TE and am looking into some nice aftermarket rims, i have never bought aftermarket rims before and i want to buy a decent set that look slick and won't bend too easy($300ea range). i was told if i lower the weight of the rim from the 24lbs (stock wheels) to about 21lbs, the ride would be a little smoother? Is this true?

Any suggestions on a Brand or an actual set? I love the finish on the TE rims.

Thanks
Here is where you want to go:

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=71

If you need pictures, look through the Picture sticky at the top of this forum and in the Members' Ride forum.

As for ride quality, a 3 lb difference in rim weight (assuming you keep the same rim size) won't matter that much; your tire size and suspension set-up are bigger determining factors.

You could just get different tires, ie. softer sidewalls, on your TE rims to see if that changes things.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by alicious
first thing is have you taken it back to Jiffy Lube?
No, and I probably won't either. Their shop wasn't very clean and the service was slow, but I wanted an oil change before going on a roadtrip and they are close to work. Not to mention it was two months and more than 2K miles ago, so I doubt they did anything wrong.

It's just a quick little rattle (and flicker) like it needs to build pressure for a hydraulic cam chain tensioner. It also only does it if the car has been sitting a few hours. That's why I was thinking the oil filter (or something similar) is allowing the system to bleed down over time.

I do most of my own mechanical work, but sometimes I am just too busy (lazy) to mess with doing my own oil changes. In general, I prefer using OEM parts anyway and I was wondering if this is something as simple as using an OEM oil filter or if I have a bigger issue on the horizon.

Thanks again,
Larry

BTW, it's a 2002, I don't know what I was thinking...
Old 08-19-2006, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by larryg
No, and I probably won't either. Their shop wasn't very clean and the service was slow, but I wanted an oil change before going on a roadtrip and they are close to work. Not to mention it was two months and more than 2K miles ago, so I doubt they did anything wrong.

It's just a quick little rattle (and flicker) like it needs to build pressure for a hydraulic cam chain tensioner. It also only does it if the car has been sitting a few hours. That's why I was thinking the oil filter (or something similar) is allowing the system to bleed down over time.

I do most of my own mechanical work, but sometimes I am just too busy (lazy) to mess with doing my own oil changes. In general, I prefer using OEM parts anyway and I was wondering if this is something as simple as using an OEM oil filter or if I have a bigger issue on the horizon.

Thanks again,
Larry

BTW, it's a 2002, I don't know what I was thinking...
what you're hearing at start up is a very common issue with the 5.5 gens. The noise is coming from the valve timing control sprocket, and most of us have just dealt with it, since it seems to come back fairly quickly after getting it fixed...
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-060.pdf

On the dash, are you positive it's the oil light that's illuminating? Because the oil and coolant lights look very similar at a quick glance...when my friend got her '07 nissan versa, the coolant light would come on for a few seconds upon startup and we thought it was the oil light at first, but that is just what the car normally does.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:10 AM

DTC 1320 and 0300

I have a 2000 Maxima 5 spd. The car is misfiring between 1k and 2k rpms and i am getting the knocking and or pinging also I look under the car and the front cat right under the engine is fire red inside. The scan tool is giving me DTC codes 1320 and 0300. I have replaced all coils and spark plugs, EGR valve, and tested all the cam and crank sensors, and the MAF is also good, and i still have the same problem. Can anyone help me or has anyone seen a problem like this before???????
Old 08-19-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by StreetzINC
I have a 2000 Maxima 5 spd. The car is misfiring between 1k and 2k rpms and i am getting the knocking and or pinging also I look under the car and the front cat right under the engine is fire red inside. The scan tool is giving me DTC codes 1320 and 0300. I have replaced all coils and spark plugs, EGR valve, and tested all the cam and crank sensors, and the MAF is also good, and i still have the same problem. Can anyone help me or has anyone seen a problem like this before???????
you might have a clogged cat or something, which could be causing excessive backpressure? That's a very weird issue, especially considering all the stuff you said checked out.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:43 AM

What would cause the front cat to be clogged? Could it be something before the causing the cat to become fire red? I am going to take it off later today. Thank You. I would appreciate it if someone who has anymore info on a problem like this help me
Old 08-19-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by StreetzINC
What would cause the front cat to be clogged? Could it be something before the causing the cat to become fire red? I am going to take it off later today. Thank You. I would appreciate it if someone who has anymore info on a problem like this help me
I think you would have to be running pretty rich to clog the precats, but it might not even be that. I'm going to start a thread in the all motor forum for you, so you'll get much more educated responses there.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:11 PM

Thank you for all the help
Old 08-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
what you're hearing at start up is a very common issue with the 5.5 gens. The noise is coming from the valve timing control sprocket, and most of us have just dealt with it, since it seems to come back fairly quickly after getting it fixed...
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-060.pdf

On the dash, are you positive it's the oil light that's illuminating? Because the oil and coolant lights look very similar at a quick glance...when my friend got her '07 nissan versa, the coolant light would come on for a few seconds upon startup and we thought it was the oil light at first, but that is just what the car normally does.
Thanks for the help, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. It is definitely the oil light that flickers, just like the TSB mentions...the whole thing takes a second (or less) to occur and only after it has been sitting a while.

Thanks again,
Larry
Old 08-20-2006, 07:39 PM

i have a question, how do u remove the rear sidemarkers from the vehicle? thanks tried to figure out and couldnt dont want to mar the paint.oh yea i have a 2001 se. thanks
Old 08-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by MaxPaul
i have a question, how do u remove the rear sidemarkers from the vehicle? thanks tried to figure out and couldnt dont want to mar the paint.oh yea i have a 2001 se. thanks
Use a thin flat-headed screw driver and wrap the end in a soft cloth. Use a bit of pressure, and the lense will "pop" out (from front to back)
Old 08-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I have a question that I have never figured out. Does anyone have an instructional guide for the always-on clock mod IN A 2000-2001? I have seen the 02-03 witing diagram, but heard that the 00-01 is different...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread