5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by G&S Maxima
major problem....i have a 2000 SE and last night all of a sudden my keyless entry stopped working so i thought it was my key file so i replaced the battery and it still wouldnt work, when i press anything on the key it doesnt respond, when i try lockin the car from the inside door panel it doesnt work, my ding sound doesnt work when the door is open and when i take my key ou the ignition, and cut the car off my lights are still on, its not the 40sec timer either cuz on the 2000 when you take you key out the ignition the lights shut off and all of my lights stay on including the fogs, and also my ceiling light doesnt come on when the door is open. As you can see its a lot of things but if anyone knows what it could b please let me kno.....
I recommend checking your fuses (Fuse box is under stearing wheel, 1 also under your hood). You could have blew one or more somehow...checked your car battery?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Max_Ryder
How many COLORS does the 01 anniversary maxima headlights come in?? I seen them in black and gunmetal?? or are they just 1 color? Lemme know ASAP cause im about to purchase a set by today... some1 hit me on AIM.

Thanks in advance!
OEM are only one color...its more of a bronze color

Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
OEM are only one color...its more of a bronze color

Hit me up on AIM...
Old 04-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Cletus

Hit me up on AIM...
i dont use AIM
you got your answer right?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i dont use AIM
you got your answer right?
not really still got a few more questions but don't think it's worth posting... send me a private message and we can speak there...
Old 04-30-2007, 02:17 PM

any body has the link to the how to install speakers on an 02 max?
i cant find it!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 02Maximan
Ok guys I have a weird question. This evening I was revving my engine while it was in neutral to hear my intake. Of course it sounded great like it always does. Then I did it again like within a minute of the previous time and it honestly sounded like a stock intake. No growl on Whoosh sound. Then a little later it sounded normal again. Again this was all in either neutral or park. I'll pry get flamed for this but i figured that id post it anyway cause i thot it was so strange. Why would it do this??
A big factor is the heat/pressure of the air rushing in as well as the density of the air. If your car is fully up to operating temperature, you're not going to hear as much noise...other than that it could be a host of things that the ECU does to control the air intake. It's not that big of a deal, and don't worry, your intake is still there
Old 04-30-2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by G&S Maxima
major problem....i have a 2000 SE and last night all of a sudden my keyless entry stopped working so i thought it was my key file so i replaced the battery and it still wouldnt work, when i press anything on the key it doesnt respond, when i try lockin the car from the inside door panel it doesnt work, my ding sound doesnt work when the door is open and when i take my key ou the ignition, and cut the car off my lights are still on, its not the 40sec timer either cuz on the 2000 when you take you key out the ignition the lights shut off and all of my lights stay on including the fogs, and also my ceiling light doesnt come on when the door is open. As you can see its a lot of things but if anyone knows what it could b please let me kno.....
First thing to check in this situation is the fuses/relays. Make sure everything is hooked up right and up to spec. Check both the boxes under the hood and inside the car. Another thing you'll want to check is to see if your car is properly grounded. Just follow the negative battery terminal to where it attaches and go from there.

You could also have an alternator problem. Go to autozone and they can do a free diagnostic test to maybe determine the cause. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Islandman
Where is the best place to buy replacements for these? Are there aftermarket ones that are better or should I contact Dave B for OEM replacements? Thanks.
You can actually get some at an autoparts store that seem to be of better quality (at least the terminals are...) They have several different lengths of wire as well as different sized terminals to match yours.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 PM

How many COLORS does the 01 anniversary maxima headlights come in?? I seen them in black and gunmetal?? or are they just 1 color? Lemme know ASAP cause im about to purchase a set by today... some1 hit me on AIM.

Thanks in advance!
The knock offs are black IIRC whereas like sooner mentioned, the stock AE headlights have a sort of bronze tint. Also, the people that do the AE mod to their 00-01 regular headlights just rub off the chrome paint to expose the black plastic underneath. Either way, it looks good so you can't go wrong IMO.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:31 PM

thanks irish Im gonna give it a try 2mrw wen i get outta work. I figured it would be pretty easy, was jus checking to see if anyone has done it b4
Old 04-30-2007, 02:33 PM

Thanks Irish44j I figured it would be easy but jus checking b4 i do something stupid
Old 04-30-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by maxximaa
any body has the link to the how to install speakers on an 02 max?
i cant find it!!!
There's an audio forum at the bottom of the main page. Here's a link:
http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Here's a good consolidation of information in the FAQ sticky:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=23

And here are some other useful links:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=60393 -FAQ sticky
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/audiowiring.asp -Wiring colors
Old 04-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

oil change...

what kind of oil should i be using to switch the oil in my car. i'm currently over miled and i need to know what would be the best oil to put in.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by chaoticchao
what kind of oil should i be using to switch the oil in my car. i'm currently over miled and i need to know what would be the best oil to put in.
Do you know if synthetic or conventional oil was used in the past?

For synthetics, I suggest either Amsoil or Mobil 1. 5w30 is a good weight to use.
For dino oil, use Castrol GTX.

Also, use a mobil 1 M1-110 filter or the Nissan OEM 15208-9E000 filter.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
You can actually get some at an autoparts store that seem to be of better quality (at least the terminals are...) They have several different lengths of wire as well as different sized terminals to match yours.
Thanks for the reply. Autozone it is.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 AM

I just bought a 2k2 6 speed with HLSD. From what I can tell, HLSD is the only option it has. No leather, no sunroof, no Bose, etc. It didn't have a keyless remote with it. Do all 2k2's have keyless entry? I just bought a keyless remote off of eBay. I'll try to program it when it gets here.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F
I just bought a 2k2 6 speed with HLSD. From what I can tell, HLSD is the only option it has. No leather, no sunroof, no Bose, etc. It didn't have a keyless remote with it. Do all 2k2's have keyless entry? I just bought a keyless remote off of eBay. I'll try to program it when it gets here.
Dang, I didn't know that came as an independent option. Are you positive it has HLSD? Look at the firewall in the engine bay and find the transaxle code. If it has an H at the end of it, you have HLSD. If it has an A at the end, you have an open diff.

And yes, all 5.5 gens came with keyless entry, so programming your new remote shouldn't be a problem. I programmed my new one in a matter of seconds.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:28 AM

Dang, I didn't know that came as an independent option. Are you positive it has HLSD? Look at the firewall in the engine bay and find the transaxle code. If it has an H at the end of it, you have HLSD. If it has an A at the end, you have an open diff.

And yes, all 5.5 gens came with keyless entry, so programming your new remote shouldn't be a problem. I programmed my new one in a matter of seconds.
Yes, the transmission code ends with an H. I was suprised to find this as well. The thing that makes me wonder if the car doesn't have keyless entry, is that there is no "Keyless" relay under the hood. There is no place to put the relay in the spot that is labeled "Keyless".
Old 05-01-2007, 09:20 AM

Yes, the transmission code ends with an H. I was suprised to find this as well. The thing that makes me wonder if the car doesn't have keyless entry, is that there is no "Keyless" relay under the hood. There is no place to put the relay in the spot that is labeled "Keyless".
Yeah I noticed that on mine too...not too sure why they labeled it 'keyless' if that's not where the relay goes...

That's cool that you have HLSD though! I always thought that came only on the fully loaded cars.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do you know if synthetic or conventional oil was used in the past?

For synthetics, I suggest either Amsoil or Mobil 1. 5w30 is a good weight to use.
For dino oil, use Castrol GTX.

Also, use a mobil 1 M1-110 filter or the Nissan OEM 15208-9E000 filter.
i believe the guy i bought it from said that he uses synthetic, but will it matter if it was not synthetic in the pass? i'm leaning towards more of the synthetic because the engine's pretty old considering the mileage he's put on it already.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Anyone have these gauges with surround

I bought this car used and I was wondering if all the gauges are standard. They glow blue when lights are on. They also go on and off intermittently and any suggestions on how to fix or diagnose where the connection is bad would be appreciated.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Autozone OBD scanner screwed up my car?

I just went to Autozone to have them pull CEL codes and when the technician hooked the scanner up to my car, the following problems occurred:

- The electronic clock went out and will not come back on.
- No codes could be read by the scanner (I have since tried with three other scanners and all of them acted like they weren't even connected to the car).
- The trip odometer will not hold the mileage when I turn off the car.

These problems did not exist before taking it to Autozone! What could have happened and how do I fix it?? A blown fuse? A short somewhere?

The radio, AC, and sunroof all still work fine, and the regular odometer appears to be accurately tracking mileage. The check engine light is still on. Help!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 PM

yea they diffenetly may have triped something take it to nissan and have them take a look at it. you may have a blown fuse or a short maybe something is wrong with you ecu also.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 PM

One more question. Do heated mirrors come standard, or are they only included in the heated seat/steering wheel package? There is no button to turn them on like in my last car. Do they automatically turn on with the defroster? There is a place to put a relay under mirror heater, but there is no relay there.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 PM

i never knew that i dont know what package i got i have a GLE with heated seats. and heated steering wheel
Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
retired moderator

One more question. Do heated mirrors come standard, or are they only included in the heated seat/steering wheel package? There is no button to turn them on like in my last car. Do they automatically turn on with the defroster? There is a place to put a relay under mirror heater, but there is no relay there.
they turn on with the rear window defroster. They are part of the meridian package, which had the heated everything....
Old 05-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by chaoticchao
i believe the guy i bought it from said that he uses synthetic, but will it matter if it was not synthetic in the pass? i'm leaning towards more of the synthetic because the engine's pretty old considering the mileage he's put on it already.
eh, some people say it does, some say it doesn't. It's not really the best thing to switch from dino to synthetic at a high mileage because it's less viscous, but if you think he used synthetic before, then go ahead and do it.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bufflomike
I bought this car used and I was wondering if all the gauges are standard. They glow blue when lights are on. They also go on and off intermittently and any suggestions on how to fix or diagnose where the connection is bad would be appreciated.
That's an aftermarket gauge overlay, and you also have an aftermarket metal gauge bezel.

To troubleshoot a bad connection, I'm afraid you're going to have to remove your gauge cluster and check the wiring in the back.

Look here for how to remove the cluster:
http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/chrome_rings.html

If you want, you can just remove the overlay alltogether and retain the stock gauges.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

That's an aftermarket gauge overlay, and you also have an aftermarket metal gauge bezel.

To troubleshoot a bad connection, I'm afraid you're going to have to remove your gauge cluster and check the wiring in the back.

Look here for how to remove the cluster:
http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/chrome_rings.html

If you want, you can just remove the overlay alltogether and retain the stock gauges.
Thanks very much, I kind of like the look, but its weird that the needles stay lit and the blue light goes on and off. Do the gauges in the Max go on and off with the dimmer or are they always on?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:52 AM

Thanks very much, I kind of like the look, but its weird that the needles stay lit and the blue light goes on and off. Do the gauges in the Max go on and off with the dimmer or are they always on?
They're always on. The lights in the needles are operating through your actual gauge cluster, and not the aftermarket gauge overlay. The gauge overlay is just a thin sheet that you lay over your existing gauges that you need to connect to a power source (the gauge cluster lights) and ground. If someone installed it incorrectly, you will experience what you are seeing because the lights on the overlay are not connected right, however the bulbs inside your actual gauge cluster are working properly.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 AM

The free search on this site is not the greatest and I cant use the real search untill I pass a 15 post mark which is stupid, but I like what I am seeing here at the forum so I am trying to get out of the super new user status.

QUESTION whats the city mpg supposed to avg for a 2000 maxima?
Mine has gotten 19 and that is bothering me. I had an older max and it got like 23-25 in the city.

My ses is on and its mentioning p0505 which is the IACV and I have not made the time to clean it yet, and put new plugs in it so I am unsure if that will increase the milage yet.

BTW this is a new to me used maxima. 2000 GLE with 80k on it.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Vacuum Hose off Transaxle leads to nothing

I grabbed this picture of Sooners engine bay-thanks man and highlighted in red where this hose is. It comes out of the trans right below the intake and leads up, is bent, mine is zipped to a bracket below the PCV to Intake hose and connects to nothing. Am I missing a piece?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by gooroo
The free search on this site is not the greatest and I cant use the real search untill I pass a 15 post mark which is stupid, but I like what I am seeing here at the forum so I am trying to get out of the super new user status.

QUESTION whats the city mpg supposed to avg for a 2000 maxima?
Mine has gotten 19 and that is bothering me. I had an older max and it got like 23-25 in the city.

My ses is on and its mentioning p0505 which is the IACV and I have not made the time to clean it yet, and put new plugs in it so I am unsure if that will increase the milage yet.

BTW this is a new to me used maxima. 2000 GLE with 80k on it.
1.) You have to donate to use the search. Hence the name "free" search
2.) Completely depends on your driving style/traffic conditions. 19mpg is fine for all city driving.
3.) Is there anything weird going on at idle? Definitely clean the IACV first and reset the ECU to see what happens. If not, it's entirely possible that you need a new IACV altogether. IACV failure is fairly common with these cars.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:36 AM

Ohh I had no idea I needed to donate to use the search, sorry if I came off as a tard about that.

Thanks for the tip on the IACV. I read somewhere that to reset the ECU that you need to unplug the battery for an hour, I think I read that on these forums.
Then in my haynes maxima book that covers 93-2001 it says to not do that and they only mention the ecu with the turn screw which this max doesnt have. Book seems outdated.

What do you suggest to reset the ECU on this 2000 max?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:42 AM

NOOB steering wheel control ?

I am looking to ugprade my factory bose HU with a Kenwood i found at crutchfield. They have a 70 dollar option for steering wheel controls. Do i need to buy that? I read somewhere i thought that you just need to run a color coated wire and you regain the steering wheel controls. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? Thanks

J
Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by gooroo
Ohh I had no idea I needed to donate to use the search, sorry if I came off as a tard about that.

Thanks for the tip on the IACV. I read somewhere that to reset the ECU that you need to unplug the battery for an hour, I think I read that on these forums.
Then in my haynes maxima book that covers 93-2001 it says to not do that and they only mention the ecu with the turn screw which this max doesnt have. Book seems outdated.

What do you suggest to reset the ECU on this 2000 max?
Unplugging the battery for 1 hour+ does the trick.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by longjas
I am looking to ugprade my factory bose HU with a Kenwood i found at crutchfield. They have a 70 dollar option for steering wheel controls. Do i need to buy that? I read somewhere i thought that you just need to run a color coated wire and you regain the steering wheel controls. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? Thanks

J
To retain the steering wheel controls, you need to buy that adapter.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:46 AM

I grabbed this picture of Sooners engine bay-thanks man and highlighted in red where this hose is. It comes out of the trans right below the intake and leads up, is bent, mine is zipped to a bracket below the PCV to Intake hose and connects to nothing. Am I missing a piece?

[IMG]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2632000-2632999/2632611_14_full.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.
That's just a transmission breather hose. Leave it there and you'll be fine.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 AM

To retain the steering wheel controls, you need to buy that adapter.
thanks for the reply. have anyone installed a compenent system to replace the factory tweeters? I am planning on purchasing all new door speakers and I know you would lose the tweeters unless you replaced them also. Any help?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread