5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:58 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn

Hey, I didn't know the damn things were punctured until the tire was changed. I was just saying the tires I had on before handled it just fine and I thought they only required 7.5 width. I know .5" is not going to be a hazard with a tough tire. The specs changed or somethin, b/c the ones I bought said 7.5.
If you had toyo proxes 4 in 255 width, they never have, nor ever will require "only a 7.5 width." They require (and always have required) an 8.5" rim width for that profile in that size. period. Whoever told you otherwise was either wrong, or simply lying to you. The fact that "you know .5" is not going to be a hazard" speaks to your ignorance. Do you honestly think that YOU know better than the company that MAKES the tire? I think not....

You also keep referring to "tough tire." What does that mean, exactly? the "toughness" of the tire has nothing at all to do with what size rim it fits. And the proxes4 would not be considered to be a "tough" tire, as it has a relatively moderate sidewall stiffness and a soft tread compound.

You don't need 255 (or 245 or 235) width tires for your factory wheels. Just get the correct size (225/50/17) and call it a day. If for some reason you feel like paying more money for a 255-width tire that won't do jack for your car, then get a wider rim....
Old 04-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Bad *** Newb

If you had toyo proxes 4 in 255 width, they never have, nor ever will require "only a 7.5 width." They require (and always have required) an 8.5" rim width for that profile in that size. period. Whoever told you otherwise was either wrong, or simply lying to you.

You also keep referring to "tough tire." What does that mean, exactly? the "toughness" of the tire has nothing at all to do with what size rim it fits.

You don't need 255 (or 245 or 235) width tires for your factory wheels. Just get the correct size (225/50/17) and call it a day. If for some reason you feel like paying more money for a 255-width tire that won't do jack for your car, then get a wider rim....[/QUOTE]

Well, I bought it with yokohamas and they were 255, so i just replaced them with toyos (I was sure the yokos were 7.5), and I was sure the toyos were 7.5, oh well. I couldn't tell and neither could the guys that put them on. These 225s don't have near the traction. I like it for braking. I mean tough, b/c I abuse everything I touch and I can't believe they can take it. I've seen other brands bubble, leak and pop for no reason, and I tear the crap out of these.

I'm never comfortable with doing the norm. People don't like it, but too bad. I'm no *****. I try to have fun. To me, the point of having this car (since it's affordable and decently fast) is to have fun.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:33 PM

If you had toyo proxes 4 in 255 width, they never have, nor ever will require "only a 7.5 width." They require (and always have required) an 8.5" rim width for that profile in that size. period. Whoever told you otherwise was either wrong, or simply lying to you.

You also keep referring to "tough tire." What does that mean, exactly? the "toughness" of the tire has nothing at all to do with what size rim it fits.

You don't need 255 (or 245 or 235) width tires for your factory wheels. Just get the correct size (225/50/17) and call it a day. If for some reason you feel like paying more money for a 255-width tire that won't do jack for your car, then get a wider rim....
Well, I bought it with yokohamas and they were 255, so i just replaced them with toyos (I was sure the yokos were 7.5), and I was sure the toyos were 7.5, oh well. I couldn't tell and neither could the guys that put them on. These 225s don't have near the traction. I like it for braking. I mean tough, b/c I abuse everything I touch and I can't believe they can take it. I've seen other brands bubble, leak and pop for no reason, and I tear the crap out of these.

I'm never comfortable with doing the norm. People don't like it, but too bad. I'm no *****. I try to have fun. To me, the point of having this car (since it's affordable and decently fast) is to have fun.[/QUOTE]

Why did you buy a maxima if the sole reason your purchase was to have "fun"????

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a cheaper car to beat the fck out of?

If you ask for advice on the forums and they give you advice and don't like it then do what you want but don't btch about it.

Running those wide *** tires like that is dumb as hell and irish pretty much told you that.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Cletus

I'm never comfortable with doing the norm. People don't like it, but too bad. I'm no *****. I try to have fun. To me, the point of having this car (since it's affordable and decently fast) is to have fun.
you should have stopped while you were behind.
now you are just proving why you shouldnt be allowed to drive. you are the reason there are bad accidents. you care more about "fun" than safety

you non quoting @sses...hit the freaking "quote button" and start typing. leave the text you are quoting alone
Old 04-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Bad *** Newb

I wasn't *****ing about anyone on here. Sorry if it sounded that way.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:36 PM
retired moderator

1. learn to use the "quote" feature
2. being "original" or "counterculture" or whatever is all well and nice, but you're not some kind of rebel just because you use an unsafe size of tires. In some cases, "the norm" is there to keep you and others safe. Hey, why not just remove your rear brakes....that isn't "the norm" either!
3. the guys who put your tires on (or do other work) on your car, they don't care about you, and they don't care about your safety. It's up to you to do research and buy the correct products.
4. I bet I can outbrake you with my 235 Proxes4 on 8" wide (correct) rims vs. 255 proxes on 7" wide rims....Traction is affected by more than just the width of the tire tread.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

@ 5th gen forum these days....
Old 04-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

*******, I'm not denying any of that. I was just wondering if it could be done within the realm of reason. I know you guys are right. I'm not trying to argue. I'm leavin this thread haha
Old 04-29-2007, 01:43 PM
retired moderator

*******, I'm not denying any of that. I was just wondering if it could be done within the realm of reason. I know you guys are right. I'm not trying to argue. I'm leavin this thread haha
here is your final simple answer:

No, it cannot be done within the realm of reason. period.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:46 PM

I respect the maturity shown in your posts even with the level of b!tchiness thrown toward you in this thread. You get my vote for newb of the month
Old 04-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Cletus

you were told repeatedly that it wasnt a good idea but you were stubborn and kept arguing. now you wanna put your tail between your legs and leave?

Old 04-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by soonerfan
you were told repeatedly that it wasnt a good idea but you were stubborn and kept arguing. now you wanna put your tail between your legs and leave?
you ppl can't take a joke, and I *try* not to argue (but I think it's deeply ingrained in my genes :P). Gettin all huffy and puffy about out of spec installation of tires. Damn tire *****.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Cletus

Gettin all huffy and puffy about out of spec installation of tires. Damn tire *****.
its a safety issue...not a looks issue

And right now sooner, you're topping it for most annoying .org member. Please quit right now. I didn't see any reason for ya'll to jump down his throat in this thread and here you are, still going on. Don't even respond to this post. Just stop.
Bad *** Newb

its a safety issue...not a looks issue
I guess I wasn't clear, safety is not an issue lol.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
And right now sooner, you're topping it for most annoying .org member. Please quit right now. I didn't see any reason for ya'll to jump down his throat in this thread and here you are, still going on. Don't even respond to this post. Just stop.
well i just responded

he was told politely (many times) that it wasnt a good idea but he kept arguing. then he started to run his mouth.
thats when we jumped on him.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Cletus

I guess I wasn't clear, safety is not an issue lol.
obviously...but it should be
Old 04-29-2007, 02:00 PM

well i just responded

he was told politely (many times) that it wasnt a good idea but he kept arguing. then he started to run his mouth.
thats when we jumped on him.
Congratulations. You've just shown me the level of maturity that you're not able to accomplish. Well have fun, and if it were anyone else besides you or irish jumping down his throat, there would be a lot more people than just me arguing against it. This is exactly why I HATE the 5th gen forum now.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Cletus

I respect the maturity shown in your posts even with the level of b!tchiness thrown toward you in this thread. You get my vote for newb of the month
yeah, when i saw this post, my first thought was, "thats very mature"
Old 04-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Cletus

Congratulations. You've just shown me the level of maturity that you're not able to accomplish. Well have fun, and if it were anyone else besides you or irish jumping down his throat, there would be a lot more people than just me arguing against it. This is exactly why I HATE the 5th gen forum now.
glad i proved myself to you...thats my goal in life

if you dont like it, then please do us a favor and leave.

me and irish or jumping down his throat because we know tires. obviously, you guys dont.

we have always gotten along and agreed in situations like this...i dont even know who you are anymore
Old 04-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Bad *** Newb

yeah, when i saw this post, my first thought was, "thats very mature"
*sighs* I meant doing anything (like everything else non-car related). Those are the ppl that **** me off. They throw a fit b/c I'm a little eccentric. Over (and under) explanation on my part.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Cletus

*sighs* I meant doing anything (like everything else non-car related). Those are the ppl that **** me off. They throw a fit b/c I'm a little eccentric. Over (and under) explanation on my part.
you learned how to quote
like irish said, you can be eccentric and different and still be smart and safe.

this argument is now done

:grouphug:
Old 04-29-2007, 02:10 PM

glad i proved myself to you...thats my goal in life
if you dont like it, then please do us a favor and leave.
me and irish or jumping down his throat because we know tires. obviously, you guys dont.
we have always gotten along and agreed in situations like this...i dont even know who you are anymore
No, that's not why you're jumping down his throat. The only justified response I see is the first one irish made. After that, even though he was not arguing at all, both of you said a few things that were out of line. Most newbs would take that and throw it back at you, but child took these comments very well. He just didn't know better, and was trying to make sense of everything which was why he kept posting. After he agreed with you and even stated that he wasn't trying to argue with ya'll, you kept on going.

Just go back and read the thread to see what I am talking about. Nowhere did I see a comment made by him that warranted the harsh comments made by ya'll. If someone doesn't know any better, calmly tell them why their wrong and what to do about it instead of saying that they sound stupid, etc.

And nowhere did I say my opinion about what tires he should use, therefore your statement about how I don't know tires is invalidated. I probably know a lot more about cars than you do but I don't go around acting like an elitist know-it-all that really doesn't know much but just re-enforces what other people say all the time. And I'm sorry I don't agree with you, but that's part of life. You don't agree with a lot of people and insead of going about it in a mature way, you flame the crap out of them without warning.

To the mods: I'm sorry about the vent, but IMO the 5th gen forum is getting a little out of hand.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Cletus

I probably know a lot more about cars than you do but I don't go around acting like an elitist know-it-all that really doesn't know much but just re-enforces what other people say all the time.
interesting
doesnt even warrant an argument.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

After all, it is the hand holding thread.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
After all, it is the hand holding thread.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:33 PM
retired moderator

To the mods: I'm sorry about the vent, but IMO the 5th gen forum is getting a little out of hand.
This is the n00b thread, where n00bs are discussing basic (and sometimes dumb) questions and hoping more experienced members will answer them. I really don't care what you think about "which" of my posts were 'good' and which were 'bad' or 'mean.' The bottom line is, he wanted to argue about my original answer to his question and I wanted to clarify my point to him. If he has a problem with that, he is fully capable of making that point to me (or soonerfan for that matter).

As far as your complaints....you have now posted 5 times in this thread this afternoon. And in none of your posts did you provide ANY answers to ANY noobs. If you look back throughout this thread I think I've done more than MY share of helping out the noobs with dumb questions that otherwise would get them flamed if posted elsewhere. Hell, I have 241 posts in this thread, and probably 98% of them are non-flaming, basic answering of basic questions. Soonerfan probably has alot too.

This is a hand-holding thread for n00bs and sometimes those of us answering the questions need to be more forceful with the answers - such as in this case. I don't know why you need to come in here and hand-hold the noobs hands though, while providing NO information answering the questions.

You could have simply come in and provided your inputs as to the wisdom of putting 255 tires on a 7" wide rim, rather than *****ing about the manner in which WE are answering the question. And don't doubt - the guy now knows the answer to his question, and the reasoning behind it. that is what this thread is for.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:37 PM
retired moderator

you ppl can't take a joke, and I *try* not to argue (but I think it's deeply ingrained in my genes :P). Gettin all huffy and puffy about out of spec installation of tires. Damn tire *****.
If you didn't want the correct answer, you shouldn't have posted in this thread. Nobody here is a "tire ****." We are stating well-known facts about tire safey, for YOUR benefit. I.e. we are here to help YOU. What tires you use has no effect on ME whatsoever. If you don't want help, or you already know it all, then why even bother posting your question here....
Old 04-29-2007, 02:38 PM

Engine Shivers

I own a 2001 maxima. Full tune up done at around 15k miles back. Recently, my engine shivers while driving at low speed. A/C on. This usually happens while braking from a higher speed. other than that, the car runs fine! trying to figure out the issue here!
Old 04-29-2007, 02:42 PM
retired moderator

if it were anyone else besides you or irish jumping down his throat, there would be a lot more people than just me arguing against it. .
And why do you think that is, that nobody besides you is arguing against us?
Old 04-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by irish44j
i think he was implying that people are scared of us and dont want to stand up to us.
he is implying that he is tough and will take us on.

thats just my opinion
Old 04-29-2007, 02:44 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by sam201180
I own a 2001 maxima. Full tune up done at around 15k miles back. Recently, my engine shivers while driving at low speed. A/C on. This usually happens while braking from a higher speed. other than that, the car runs fine! trying to figure out the issue here!
clarify:
1. are you MT or automatic?
2. if MT, does this happen when you press the clutch in on deceleration? If so, it is a bad/dirty IACV
3. does it ever happen when the AC is off?
Old 04-29-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by sam201180
Adjust the screw on your IACV (Idle air control valve) that's located near your throttle body to adjust the idle up a bit. It's a very common problem for the VQ30s. A good throttle body cleaning wouldn't hurt either.

Well number one, nobody is here to post. And number two, you know that you have a bunch of little leg humpers littered all over this site that would come take your side

EDIT: and just for the record, I've already gotten a PM from somebody agreeing with me.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Cletus

you know that you have a bunch of little leg humpers littered all over this site that would come take your side
or people that realize that he (among many others) know what they are talking about and have earned respect.

the ONE PERSON that PMed you needs to be a man (instead of "humping your leg")

ok people...back to helping newbies
Old 04-29-2007, 02:51 PM
retired moderator

you know that you have a bunch of little leg humpers littered all over this site that would come take your side
so, why are these people "my little leg humpers?" I mean, I haven't paid them or bought them flowers or anything.

you're just jealous that you don't have any little leg humpers
Old 04-29-2007, 02:54 PM

or people that realize that he (among many others) know what they are talking about and have earned respect.

the ONE PERSON that PMed you needs to be a man.

ok people...back to helping newbies
And I don't know what I'm talking about? I have helped many people on this site, and will continue to help in the future. But like I mentioned before, I have no need to go around acting as if I'm better than someone else because I know more.

And it has nothing to do with 'being a man'. It has to do with knowing you can't do anything to change someone, so why bother? To tell you the truth, I don't even know why I'm trying.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:54 PM
retired moderator

EDIT: and just for the record, I've already gotten a PM from somebody agreeing with me.

well, I guess your leg-humper is just too timid to come post in public. What, is he afraid I'm going to flame him or something?
Old 04-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Cletus

i have leg humpers too

Originally Posted by KickerMax02
I think if Sooner didn't do what he does there would be 500 people asking the same questions day after day.
Originally Posted by andy2248
Yea Sooner Ill admit that your right and I should search before I post to keep the forum organized and easy to find things when you search.
Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
ive learned that 99.9% of the time sooner is right about things so dont challenge him when he flames you
Old 04-29-2007, 02:55 PM

clarify:
1. are you MT or automatic?
2. if MT, does this happen when you press the clutch in on deceleration? If so, it is a bad/dirty IACV
3. does it ever happen when the AC is off?

My Maxima is Automatic. I can still feel the shivering, but a lot decreased! big difference. Any place i can find a writeup on the IACV? Thanks guys
Old 04-29-2007, 02:57 PM

well, I guess your leg-humper is just too timid to come post in public. What, is he afraid I'm going to flame him or something?
See above post. He's being much more mature than you and I right now. This is ridiculous, and I'll let you go about ruling the forums acting as if you're never wrong. And you know exactly what I'm taking about when I mention your sack riders...

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread