5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Does the 5.5's have stock remote starters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:48 AM

Does the 5.5's have stock remote starters?

I jsut got my car last week. Something weird happened today. I was driving around for a while then went home. Then I noticed my new keyfob came in the mail. So I went back outside, and the engine was ON!!!! They key was in my hands, and I didn't do anything. I was pressing buttons on my original keyfob and the new one, but thats about it.

It was weird because when i realized it, I inserted my key, then tried turning it off, and it didnt work. Then when I switched gear to drive, then back to park, and i tried to turn of it worked.

It was weird as hell. Should I be worried? I'm 99.9% sure the car was off before I went inside my house.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ummm...the car should DEFINITELY not be running while the key is not in the ignition...i have no clue what that's about. We don't have remote start
Old 08-21-2006, 11:52 AM

yea, thats what i figured. i dont know what the hell happened.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:39 PM

spray some holy water on it and hope that never happens again

wierd stuff man
Old 08-21-2006, 01:09 PM

tell me about it. maybe i should pay the church a visit this weekend
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Time2go!

Congratulations your car has had a remote starter installed and installer had to hide a key under the dash to make the ECU think the key is in the ignition when it is not.
Our keys have a chip in them; I have a remote starter installed and the installer needed a key to hard wire into a by-pass box under my dash for the remote start to work.
How I start my car remotely: On your key fob hit Lock, Unlock, Lock and it should start. (*if that is your sequence) You may have to play around to find your exact sequence. When you car starts doors will still be locked and if you unlock the car with your remote get in and press the brake peddle the car should shut off.
If you get in put your key into the ignition and turn it forward two clicks and press your brake peddle the car should allow you to put it in Drive.

Oh and to turn your car off after you remote started it do the same process you did to start it. Lock, Unlock, Lock and it should turn off.

Also it should only run for 15 – 20 min max.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Time2go!
Congratulations your car has had a remote starter installed and installer had to hide a key under the dash to make the ECU think the key is in the ignition when it is not.
Our keys have a chip in them; I have a remote starter installed and the installer needed a key to hard wire into a by-pass box under my dash for the remote start to work.
How I start my car remotely: On your key fob hit Lock, Unlock, Lock and it should start. (*if that is your sequence) You may have to play around to find your exact sequence. When you car starts doors will still be locked and if you unlock the car with your remote get in and press the brake peddle the car should shut off.
If you get in put your key into the ignition and turn it forward two clicks and press your brake peddle the car should allow you to put it in Drive.

Oh and to turn your car off after you remote started it do the same process you did to start it. Lock, Unlock, Lock and it should turn off.

wow, that's really cool. This is on your stock keyfob?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:33 PM
No More Maxipad

hey i have the remote start for my car...but it's part of my alarm system and i have to use the remote that came with the alarm. do you know if i can use the stock remote to start my engine too? i like the look of the stock remote haha but i also like the soft chirp of my alarm instead of the car's horn =/
Old 08-21-2006, 03:00 PM

AWESOME!!! That Lock, Unlock, Lock sequence worked!!

Although I'm a little nervious now.

1.) My car only came with one key from the dealer. I guess the remote start explains why. It looks like the original owner of the car used his spare key to have the remote starter installed. However, I was going to Nissan this weekend to get a new key. I tried to look underneath the dash for the other key, and I couldn't find it. Do you know where they are typically hidden? Im obviously going to need to have nissan program that key too in order to keep the remote starter, otherwise, there will be a remote starter that doesnt work.

2.) Is this a potential security risk? Since there is technically a key underneath the dash, couldn't someone eaisly break in, look for the key underneath, and drive away? What do you think?

Thanks for the help though! This is awesome. Ive never had a remote starter on my other cars because they were all manual, and no one ever wanted to install them in a manual.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by four
AWESOME!!! That Lock, Unlock, Lock sequence worked!!

Although I'm a little nervious now.

1.) My car only came with one key from the dealer. I guess the remote start explains why. It looks like the original owner of the car used his spare key to have the remote starter installed. However, I was going to Nissan this weekend to get a new key. I tried to look underneath the dash for the other key, and I couldn't find it. Do you know where they are typically hidden? Im obviously going to need to have nissan program that key too in order to keep the remote starter, otherwise, there will be a remote starter that doesnt work.

2.) Is this a potential security risk? Since there is technically a key underneath the dash, couldn't someone eaisly break in, look for the key underneath, and drive away? What do you think?

Thanks for the help though! This is awesome. Ive never had a remote starter on my other cars because they were all manual, and no one ever wanted to install them in a manual.
it's probably just the immobilizer part of the key, or something is done to the key to make it so that it isn't able to start the car.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:29 PM

i was looking at it again just now, and i noticed there are two black units that you can tell were'nt from Nissan. One has "KD-11M" written on it, and the other, I couldn't find anythign else written except "Made in Taiwan".

THere was another white box unit kinda thing, and that was pretty secure in place, so it looks like it was meant to be there.

I am thinking maybe the previous owner bought an immobilizer bypass, although I cannot find anyting on the internet except for the DEI 555 unit.

I tried searching KD-11m, and couldn't find anything. Well, I guess I will get the new key anyway, and have Nissan Dealership re-program they keys. I still need an extra key no matter what, and if it means loosing my remote starter, so be it.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:39 PM

I don't think the Max can come with STOCK remote. When I got my 03 Max several years ago, I asked the dealer if Nissan has an OEM remote starter, and he said no. He did say, however, that he could install an aftermarket remote starter for $650. I thought it was a bit much and didn't install one.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:21 PM

Yea, they definatley didn't. Ive been reading on this a lot now.

Im just trying to figure out if my key really is indeed underneath my dash, or if I have an immobilizer bypass. If I do have the bypass, that would be great, so I can get an extra key programmed from my dealer, and not worry about the key undernath the dash.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:30 AM

After some more reading, it looks like the key is in one of those boxes. I think i'm actually going to get rid of the remote starter all in all, because I dont like the idea of having a spare, working key inside the vehicle.

The only problem is, I dont know how to remove the remote start unit. Maybe I'll just leave it in there and one day, I'll use it agian.

I dont know.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:42 AM

I dont think people will know theirs a spare key in the car unless you tell them. I wish I had the system.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by astley101
I dont think people will know theirs a spare key in the car unless you tell them. I wish I had the system.
Well, experiened theifs that really want your car enough could be watching. Most of them know that the maximas have the chipped key. If they catch you remote starting it, they can assume that you have the key in there somewhere.

What I might do is just find the key, and file down the cut so that they key cannot be inserted into the ignition.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:39 AM
No More Maxipad

i think the key might be inside one of those boxes. i had to give them a spare key to put in the immobilizer bypass thing. i don't know where they put mine tho i searched but can't find it.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:48 AM

yea, it looks like its in the bypass. I've been around the net looking at these bypass boxes, and they key is indeed inside.

My bypass is easily accessible. i think im just going to get rid of it, or destroy the key so that its harder to steal.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:30 AM
No More Maxipad

just cut the key part out or something...and leave the plastic part with the chip in
Old 08-22-2006, 09:40 AM

yeah, i think that's what i'll do.

does the dealer generally give you a hard time if u bring an aftermarket key? I was thinking of buying one of the cheapo keys on ebay, and using that for the remote starter.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:10 PM

Guys, i found this:
http://www.bypasskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=PKN2

Anyone have experience with that? I think i'm going to give it a try. Apparently, you dont need a key for that to work, as it only bypasses the immobilizer when it gets signal from the remote starter.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 PM

Well I located the Key today. I removed the remote starter + bypass all in all. So basically, the harneses that connected to the remote starter and bypass arent connected to anything at the moment. Is that bad? I figured it should be fine since the installer did a pretty neat job, and everthing has electrical tape on it.

I was driving the car, and it felt fine.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:32 PM
No More Maxipad

i think it should be fine. i took mine off on my old car too because i think something was wrong with it or something cuz it starts by itself everynight at around 11pm =/ so i just pulled them out lol
Old 08-23-2006, 07:33 PM

Yeah, Im trying to find a locksmith in NJ that will program me a new key. I think I'll just keep the key blank, and re-install the auto starter. I dont feel comfortable with it cut.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:07 AM

Cool - I found a locksmith in NJ.
He's charging me $39 for the key, and $50 to program. Fair price considering almost all the dealers I called in Northern NJ is charging $95 for programming, and $70 for key.

I'm sure posting the locksmiths info here will be of help to people who run in to this problem later.

Cy Drake Locksmiths Inc.
106 Ridgedale Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960
Telephone: (973) 538-2737
www.cydrake.com
Old 08-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

sweet i have the remote starter also the lock unlock lock works.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by flyman44
sweet i have the remote starter also the lock unlock lock works.
Cool, where;s your bypass? do u have the one with they key?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Don't you know who I am?

I would keep the remote starter, they're expensive and very useful, particularly in the winter. It should be much easier to simply modify the in-car key so that it won't fit the ignition, for example, saw the end of it off and keep the chip for remote starting. I'd really like to have a remote starter in my car, but mine's a manual . If you have one that works and got it for free, I think it would be to just get rid of it.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:32 AM

Yea, Im just going to go to the locksmith and tell him to just program the key. not cut
Old 08-24-2006, 11:28 PM

there are different ways a remote starter can be wired. you don't have to keep a "key" underneath the dash, but you can cut open the key and take the programmed chip and wire it.
u should just try to copy the key and turn the ignition to see if it starts, without programming it.
might save u a few bucks

Rydicule, mine is a 5spd manual as well, and i have remote start. there are systems out there that support that

EDIT: nvm.. didn't realize urs did have a 'key' underneath.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:14 AM
No More Maxipad

in my old car i used a chopping knife and tried to chop the key open to get the chip out. well i choped too hard and the chip split in half and ruined a key =/ what a waste lol
Old 08-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by getbigtony
Rydicule, mine is a 5spd manual as well, and i have remote start. there are systems out there that support that
Intriguing, where can I learn more? If I can get one installed in my car, I'll be all sorts of
Old 08-25-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by lowincash
in my old car i used a chopping knife and tried to chop the key open to get the chip out. well i choped too hard and the chip split in half and ruined a key =/ what a waste lol
Yup, thats why I decided to just leave the key blank and uncut, but program it.

I figured a potential theif cannot start the car with a key blank.

Originally Posted by Rydicule
Intriguing, where can I learn more? If I can get one installed in my car, I'll be all sorts of
Theres a bunch of remote starters for Manual transmission on eBay.

I had one on my 240sx when I had it. Never ran into this "key" problem of course.

Basically, there's an RPM sensor on these units, so that if it fluctuates too much (if you car is in gear) it will disable the remote starter.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:55 AM

most of the time you just use the VALET key for the remote start bypass... break the key in half, and place the chip in the bypass box under the dash, and wire it to the ignition. thats how its done in mine, i have a viper 791xv installed.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by bigmike8771
most of the time you just use the VALET key for the remote start bypass... break the key in half, and place the chip in the bypass box under the dash, and wire it to the ignition. thats how its done in mine, i have a viper 791xv installed.
yea, but i dont have the valet key. that's why i gota go to get a new key programmed.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Remote Starter

does anyone know good brands of Remote Starters?