5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

for anyone w/ PRCAI who hasn't... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 06:13 PM

I decided after my gas mileage keeps getting worse and worse with each fillup, that I would take a look at the filter and just make sure it wasn't clogged. Well it was that bad but it did have alot of debris from really on 1 1/2 to 2 months of usage. So I decided I had better clean it and get it back into shape. Well just gentle brushing didn't get everything out. I had my "recharge" kit with the cleaner and the oil, so just went all out.

Well the cylindrical filter that is provided makes me a little concerned about the use of this system in bad weather. I know, I know, you don't use this thing in the rain and don't go creek jumping. Well after washing the filter is when my eyes lit up.

That things holds water like a bucket! I just about s*** my pants! I actually had to turn the filter upside down to get the water to drain out. That is not good! If you just accidentally dunk the thing you are screwed. I was reading about the CAI bypass valve from AEM, but I don't believe that would even help. You have to give the water a chance to drain out of your filter before you can get on the gas or you risk taking water. Well with how it just did for me, you may as well shut the engine off then and just wait for the tow truck!

My point, I think is I may be looking for a conical K&N. W/O seeing one in person, I can only speculate that it would drain water better.

But that is just a warning to everyone who has the PRCAI. I haven't heard of anyone dunking their filter yet and locking thier engine, but it seems very possible now. I use my car as a daily driver and sometimes drive more than 150 miles a day and rain can't stop me from doing my job. So that's why I was concerned.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sorry to hear about that

I have heard the bypass valve from AEM works pretty good. I remember they dipped the entire filter into water and it didnt suck up any water when they rev-ed the engine.