5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replaced rotors now they grind?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 03:16 PM

Replaced rotors now they grind?

I just replaced my OEM rotors at 68k on my 2k max. I picked up a set of decent rotors at NAPA down the street.

I replaced the front rotors but didn't replace the pads as they had plenty of meat left on them (I replaced the pads with new ones about 5k ago). Now my stopping ability is MUCH better, better grab, no more warped rotor issues.

But now the problem is at low speeds (0-10 mph) i get this grinding sound. I pulled the wheels off and inspected everything, and its all well and good.

I did NOT have the new rotors turned/scored when i bought them. Is this the problem? If so will it go away with time or should i pull the rotors and have them turned?

Thanks!!

-J

(PS: Just bought the wife a shiny new 2006 Maxima SE 6-speed in Onyx)
Old 10-31-2006, 03:26 PM

It seems that the pads aren't seated right or uniform with the new rotors. They were "seated" from the old rotors. I always thought it was a good general rule if you put on new rotors, you should replace the pads as well, no matter how new or old the pads are. This way, the pads will wear uniformly.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:43 PM

take the pads off and sand them. try to get them as flat as possible making sure you sand the entire surface also. put the pads on again and power brake a little bit and brake while giving it gas while car is moving also. im pretty sure that will make it go away.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:49 PM

The original rotor probably wore grooves in the pads you replaced 5000 miles ago. Now they're making noise because they don't sit flat on the new rotors.
Either sand them flat as previously suggested, or wait awhile and they'll
eventually conform to the new rotors.
(assuming everything is installed correctly).
Old 10-31-2006, 04:50 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by xnyc
take the pads off and sand them. try to get them as flat as possible making sure you sand the entire surface also. put the pads on again and power brake a little bit and brake while giving it gas while car is moving also. im pretty sure that will make it go away.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If they are OEM pads, expect the "warped" rotor feeling to be back...

Chances are the rotors were not warped, but uneven pad material transfer gives a poor braking surface on the rotors giving the feeling of warped rotors.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:47 PM

When doing brakes one normally would change the rotors and pads at the same time to save on problems down the road. I would sand the pads like the other guys sand also if you can afford it go have ur rotors turned just incase. If the pads are oem expect the warped rotors feeling back in around 5k miles if you drive spirintgly.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:30 PM

did you do anything to take the rust-inhibitor off the rotors before you installed them?
I just bought new Hawk HPS pads, and New front rotors from NAPA, and the dude there sold me two cans of CRC Brakekleen, one for each rotor to take off the rust-inhibitor they apply before shipping.
He also sold me these two packets of CRC brake grease too grease the pins, around the piston, and the the clips for the pads, so the pads will move back away from the rotor when the brakes are released.

Check out this site, it is very detailed:
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/300
Old 10-31-2006, 08:42 PM

there is no need to turn/cut the rotors. your rotors from napa should be new. you are supposed to clean the rotors with brake cleaner before you use it. if you dont it will cause squeaking due to the oil over the surface.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 PM

if your rotors were warped then your pads would not be level/flat/straight whatever,... so now your have pads that are not cut on a straight line grinding against something that is prefectly straight... CHANGE THE PADS ,.. before you turn these rotors bad
Old 11-01-2006, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
if your rotors were warped then your pads would not be level/flat/straight whatever,... so now your have pads that are not cut on a straight line grinding against something that is prefectly straight... CHANGE THE PADS ,.. before you turn these rotors bad

Old 11-01-2006, 07:26 AM

I was told once by a Nissan MasterTech that at his dealership as a standard practice they always cut the new rotors before mounting.

Originally Posted by xnyc
there is no need to turn/cut the rotors. your rotors from napa should be new. you are supposed to clean the rotors with brake cleaner before you use it. if you dont it will cause squeaking due to the oil over the surface.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:45 AM

Give it a couple hundred miles, the grind will go away once the pads wear and conform to the surface of the rotor.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by wolf2989
I just replaced my OEM rotors at 68k on my 2k max. I picked up a set of decent rotors at NAPA down the street.

I replaced the front rotors but didn't replace the pads as they had plenty of meat left on them (I replaced the pads with new ones about 5k ago). Now my stopping ability is MUCH better, better grab, no more warped rotor issues.

But now the problem is at low speeds (0-10 mph) i get this grinding sound. I pulled the wheels off and inspected everything, and its all well and good.

I did NOT have the new rotors turned/scored when i bought them. Is this the problem? If so will it go away with time or should i pull the rotors and have them turned?

Thanks!!

-J

(PS: Just bought the wife a shiny new 2006 Maxima SE 6-speed in Onyx)
Mine did that too until I did a good bedding of the pads. Try that.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by q45Owner
I was told once by a Nissan MasterTech that at his dealership as a standard practice they always cut the new rotors before mounting.
its not necessary. if he wants to do it, its his own preference. the rotors are fresh and cut already when they are produced. cutting it will only cause it to be thinner for no reason (unless he makes them thin enough the rotors start warping after 20k miles so they can come back to the dealership for new ones lol, just kidding but it is possible)
Old 11-01-2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
If they are OEM pads, expect the "warped" rotor feeling to be back...

Chances are the rotors were not warped, but uneven pad material transfer gives a poor braking surface on the rotors giving the feeling of warped rotors.
I agree. I don't think theres anything wrong with OEM rotors, but the OEM pads my have issues. I've never experinced any problems with my oem set up but I never replaced my oem pads with oem. I've always used ceraminc pads or bendex semi metallic pads
Old 11-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my brakes did this as well after a dealer did the brake job....technician claimed "all nissan's do that." i found the problem to be the rotor gently scraping the underside of the caliper at slow speeds. i ground down the suspected area on the caliper with a dremel and never heard it agian.