5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is it possible to swap Frost Leather Interior for Black?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Luvs his Max

Is it possible to swap Frost Leather Interior for Black?

This is the car i've been wanting ever since i bought my 99 back in 02. As my Profile says, it's a 2003 6spd SE/TE w/ ALL options except NAV (including HLSD and Meridian). Polished Titanium/Frost Leather Interior. It's a beautiful thing. Bone stock w/ 50k on it and well taken care of (some minor exterior blemishes but nothing major).

The ONLY thing that i WISH it had was black leather interior. i LIKE the frost, but i would REALLY love a Black Interior.

Is this even possible? All of the dash, doors consoles seats, etc would have to be swapped. That sounds ridiculous!

Looks like i'm dealin with the frost eh? One benny with the lighter color interior is that you don't die when you get in your car in the summer...which is nice.

But, for all the other options i got, i think i can deal w/ the lighter interior.. I was just curious.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Cletus

it can be done...but it would be a HUGE pain.
try to find a max at a junkyard with black interior..hopefully with no blood

i love my black interior and i know people with the lighter interior that wish they had black
Old 11-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Luvs his Max

Originally Posted by soonerfan
it can be done...but it would be a HUGE pain.
try to find a max at a junkyard with black interior..hopefully with no blood

i love my black interior and i know people with the lighter interior that wish they had black

Yeah, if it were just the seats and door panels, i'd probably try to get it done. But.... we're talkin some serious overhauling of the interior. Man, even the rugs and headliner are different color. There's no way this could be pulled off without some serious dough.

Anyone wanna swap interiors? Mine's in absolute pristine condition.

** tells self Frost Interior is still cool **

That, and good luck finding an '03 6spd TE Polished Titanium/Black Leather w/ all options, HSLD, Meridian etc. around 50k miles or less for around $15k or less....

NOT GUNNA HAPPEN...cuz whoever has that car...sure as HELL ain't sellin it.

I'm happy w/ my max... in fact, i'm gunna go race a civic just for fun.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Cletus

i'kk trade you cars...you get the black interior

and i get a year newer TE
Old 11-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Luvs his Max

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i'kk trade you cars...you get the black interior

and i get a year newer TE
heh... .... it's not THAT important to me.. I think the frost will grow on me.

I originally wanted the grey lustre...but the polished Ti body color has really grown on me... i love it! I'm hoping the frost leather will do the same...
Old 11-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

i too and black to complete the black on black look. but like you said swapping everything is too much....if you really want some black do a two toned int....the center row of the seat be dark grey to match with the frost and black leather on the outter part ( not frost but dark grey) so it transitions better....but i'd say keep it.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Bigger than Jesus

I have frost interior and I love it. You will learn to love it.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:27 AM

Well someone sold one (lease return)because I bought at a nissan dealer 3 weeks ago a dark silver(kind of pewter)03 TE black leather everything 6 spd wo the nav for 17K$cdn (+-15.1K$US)+tax, interior and exterior in great condition. Love the car, fastest, best features and more powerful I ever had (even my little guy says it is daddy's racecar lol)(other car is a 04' Sub Outback wagon, wife's drive she cannot drive stick(for the moment )). Will see how the black leather will do with the summer sun in montreal but it should not be too bad with the AC and moonroof(we are not in texas so...). Now winter is coming and I love the heated steering and seats (my buns are very happy as are my cold as ice hands). The wife said ok for this car due to the black leather interior , we saw some beige interior and she found beige color awful it was a no buy without any discussion as she was not already too fond of the size of the car(too big, and manual transmission) She is willing to learn manual (we did some practice)but the beige int was out of question. I find the car with my combination is really a near luxury car and really love it especially the 3.5 v6 (coming from the SUb auto 4 banger). I had always driven manual till the sub but had to buy it fast cause I had a CRV stolen and needed a car for the winter in canada (stepparents live in the country reachable only by gravel unplowed roads). I love the powerband of this car and even the fuel consumption is not bad with the 6spd on highways(better tahn the Sub)
Old 11-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Luvs his Max

bastard...how many miles? Also, did you say moonroof? OR is a power sunroof?

Your color isn't sterling either btw...if it IS TE (easiest way to check is to see if it has a compass in the mirror) then it's either Sheer Silver or Polished Titanium. Which are both sweet colors.

Congrats on the rare find, i imagine since it's a lease it's got some low miles....although Leases kinda scare me sometimes cuz people bash on lease cars. Looks like mine was fairly well taken care of... bone stock

and the FROST interior (not beige, beige is gheh) will grow on me.. the girlfriend actually likes it... which is a small consolation..

teh frost will grow on me... i'm starting a frost leather club.. black leather smells funny!
Old 11-09-2006, 07:51 AM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

You can do the overhall yourself if your willing to put in the time and effort. I changed my interior from frost to black and charcoal. I actually bought the seats covers themselves but everything else was dyed.

VHT dye works like magic so long as you prep and paint. This included gutting the car completely of all plastic panels etc. and removing the dash to paint it as well. Turned out awesome but definitely a two / three day project. If your interested in specifics the pm me, I'll let you know what's up. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:12 AM

Anything's possible - the question is how much you want to spend, right?

Ironically, all I could find when looking for a 6-speed was either cloth interiors or black leather, and unlike you I DIDN'T want a black interior! It was frustrating because it seemed like every 6-speed Maxima in my state (Virginia) had a black leather interior, or cloth (which meant no seat memory, which was a must for me).

Then I found my "frost" interior Max and that was one of the reasons I bought the car!

However, I WILL concede that lighter-colored leather ages and stains more quickly than black.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 AM

So i suppose mine is sheer silver or polished titanium, kinda darker silver color, and yes it is a TE (compass and all) . It has indeed a power sunroof. I'm never able to make the difference I tought mooroof were opening completely and sunroof only tilting up, mine does the 2 so i dunno how to name it. It was a lease(the historic shows that the lease ended in august 06(4years lease) The hitstoric on carfax shows that the maintenance was done at the dealer at least till end of 2004 (no historic of mainatenance after that on carfax but it does not bother me it is the first time I had maintenance on a carfax report for a canadian vehicle. It shows about 32kmiles for 2 and a half year and the car was at 56K miles when i bought it so it seems very kosher to me. The car was registered to someone on the south side of montreal (about 25 miles so I suppose He would have been working here and the car has probably mostly seen highway (sometime jammed highways but anyway not probably to abuse it).The car seems to have been well taken care of, I saw about 4-5 6spd before buying this one but they all already had rust on the rear wheels wells(yeah to quebec winters and road salt and bad nissan paint job) except this one and most were fabric not leather I paid about 1.5K$ more than theses but at a dealer and with all options and in better condition so I don't care for the small price difference

I hope you like your car as I like mine, I really find this a great car for the price, was also looking at accord and mazda 6 V6 but they were at least 2K$ more for the same age and milleage and had not anywhere close of the luxury(kindof) items the max has (heated steering,compass, HID, HLSD,...) and accord were only auto trans so... I was really bored of the auto trans due to the sub (great for hauling the kids but boring to drive even my wife says so , her previous car an accord 91 EXR auto with only 125HP I think was more peppy and fun to drive)
Old 11-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Pointy Elbows

Haha I have the frost too and I used to want the black...so you're not the only one.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Orgullo
You can do the overhall yourself if your willing to put in the time and effort. I changed my interior from frost to black and charcoal. I actually bought the seats covers themselves but everything else was dyed.

VHT dye works like magic so long as you prep and paint. This included gutting the car completely of all plastic panels etc. and removing the dash to paint it as well. Turned out awesome but definitely a two / three day project. If your interested in specifics the pm me, I'll let you know what's up. Good luck.
I did the samething 2 summers ago, I used color-bond spray dye off jcwhitney's website. The hardest part is taking the dash out and putting it back in. I got a schematic of the dash/console showing you where all the screws are at from DaveB/parts guy.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Mass_Media™

There is an 03 6spd in a cali junkyard that has black interior leather
Old 11-09-2006, 12:01 PM

If you are really going to go through all the trouble of changing your interior color, then remember that your firewall vehicle info plate contains a code for exterior paint color and interior paint color, which might be an issue upon resale if a buyer were to check that plate. I know we’re talking miniscule chances, but you never know.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Luvs his Max

....interesting. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it appears the car in the link below had black leather seats and door inserts put into a car that has a frost/beige interior....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=40

Looks kinda cool i think....cept i dont think i woulda put the door inserts in.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:22 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

[QUOTE=Narrator]....interesting. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it appears the car in the link below had black leather seats and door inserts put into a car that has a frost/beige interior....

There's like four different colors going on there. Just not feelin it at all. It wouldn't be that bad if the colors didn't contrast so much. Nice quality on the work but just too different.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Cletus

thats a car that was made with frost interior...they changed the seats and door inserts but left the door panels, center console, carpet, dash etc
Old 11-09-2006, 08:08 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Yeah I noticed the stock stuff but when they upgraded the seats & inserts they never considered the original color.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

add me to the list that wish i had a black interior but instead have frost... it grows on you but sometimes i still wish i had black
Old 11-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Cletus

frost interior would make sense on light colored cars. i have no idea why there are dark cars (black, blue, etc) that have the frost interior.