5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Changing Air Bags!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006 | 09:21 AM

Changing Air Bags!!!

Hey guys I'm chaning my air bags and so far I bought a driver bag, will need to buy the passanger air bag later! I'm also thinking I'm going to need to replace the computer module as well, right?
So to change your air blown bags those 3 parts are what I'm going to need for the whole changing procedure, or is there something else I might need?

Any write ups or tips on how to do the changing air bag process?
thanks guys!
Old 11-28-2006 | 01:32 PM

anyone can help?
Old 11-28-2006 | 08:18 PM
Cletus

why are you changing your airbags?
pretty sure there wont be a write-up since this isnt something people normally do.
Old 12-02-2006 | 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
why are you changing your airbags?
pretty sure there wont be a write-up since this isnt something people normally do.
Well I'm changing it because they were blown when I bought the car.
I also hear that I need new seat belts as well! Any info out there?
Old 12-02-2006 | 11:24 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

As this is a critical safety feature of the car you should really leave it to a professional. Most, if not all, repair and body shops DO NOT change air bags in cars. Rather they use an outside service which specializes in air bag changes.

Besides that...I really have no idea what you would need to change the air bags. The seat belts? I don't see why you would need to change those, they are wholly separate.
Old 12-02-2006 | 11:39 AM

i thought you had that car fixed already man
The first thing when buying a salvage is to buy one with the air bags intact.
That what i checked first when i bought mine.
Old 12-02-2006 | 05:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just had a salvage car put together....You DO have to change the seatbelts once the airbags deploy b/c they lock up. I actually installed both bags and module myself....but left the seatbelts to the bodyman....unfortunately my airbag light is still blinking. Tried resetting it,but its throwig a code. Im probably going to have to take it to the dealer to get it checked out(SUCKS)

If you want to take the chance...do it yourself and just follow the directions on how to clear the airbag light...
Old 12-03-2006 | 07:41 AM

It's not a big deal. All you need is a 10mm, a tamper proof torque bit set and you can do it. The thing to remember is to unplug the battery. Then put your airbags in the driver is very easy it takes the tamper proof torque bit, it under th e cover. The passenger is a littlt more difficult, but just like changing the in cabin filter. Drop the glove box, and look up under the dash, you will see the 10mm that hold the airbag. The module sits under the center console, you can either get a new one or have that one repaired, there are alot of places that repair them. Usually cost around $100.00. The seat belts are easy too, I would probably wait untill I had everything and do it at once. That way, I would take seats out and you can get to the center console and exchange the seatbelt at once. And you have enough room to work. Be sure to leave your battery unpluged over night so that everything can reset.
Old 12-03-2006 | 08:51 AM
Cletus

and remember that if you ever sell the car, you are required by law to tell the person that the airbags were replaced
Old 12-03-2006 | 10:53 AM
SCAMMER DO NOT BUY FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

You, ladies buy salvage or clear title cars and dont know how to fixed them.

905-6730090 this is phone for air bag module reset. They are in Canada and as soon as air bags go off, you will not be able to reset it. You will need air bags new module or call them to reset and belts with pre-tensioners. If you have side air bags , you will have to make sure that plugs are pluged in.

Good luck and if you Max.Orgers need any repairables just let me know. I can buy them directly from auctions
Old 12-03-2006 | 11:12 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by maksima
You, ladies buy salvage or clear title cars and dont know how to fixed them.

905-6730090 this is phone for air bag module reset. They are in Canada and as soon as air bags go off, you will not be able to reset it. You will need air bags new module or call them to reset and belts with pre-tensioners. If you have side air bags , you will have to make sure that plugs are pluged in.

Good luck and if you Max.Orgers need any repairables just let me know. I can buy them directly from auctions
huh???????????
Old 12-07-2006 | 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ride2kMax
i thought you had that car fixed already man
The first thing when buying a salvage is to buy one with the air bags intact.
That what i checked first when i bought mine.
Yeah the car was fixed a long time ago, it's just my air bags weren't replaced. And if you buy a salvage car with blown bags it would be much cheaper than the one with bags.
Well guys my seat belts have been fixed (reset) for a long time now, it's just it's time to connect the air bags and reset the module. Still need the passenger air bag and module to start doing it. Still looking for those.
NISMOJUNKIE and everyone else thanks for the help and info so far!