5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just got Don's VB mod (Thanks Don!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2001, 04:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oooh man! If you've got an automagic GET THIS MOD first before anything else (after an OSCAI) including a y-pipe, b-pipe, udp, rsw, fstb ect. I knew the auto tranny shifted poorly but I didn't realize how bad it really is until now.

I live in Austin which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from where Don is in Houston so, to minimize downtime for my max, I took the VB out in my garage Saturday morning (after letting the car cool down overnight Friday night) and drove to Houston in another car, went over to Don's to get the VB done and drove back to Austin Saturday evening and put it in Saturday night. Don is a very cool guy and a genuine car and Maxima enthusiast at heart. I don't know if I could have gotten a more carefully done mod anywhere.

Here's how the tranny used to shift without this mod:
vrrooom ......... s h i f f f f t t t t.......... (now you've got to push the engine more since you lost so much time and momentum while the tranny was busy shifting from 1 to 2, sooo) VRRRROOOMMM . . . . . . . . s s h i f f f ff t t tt . . . . . . . VVVRRROOOOMMMM (now you've really got to push it even more - you get the idea).
Here's how it shifts with this mod: vrooom.shift.vrooom.shift.vroom.shift. It shifts like clockwork. It's a night and day difference. The harder you drive the quicker and more surely it shifts. I haven't been able to wipe the big grin of my face all day! My first thought was this is how the tranny should shift in STOCK form - I don't know why Nissan doesn't improve this on the automagics.

Thanks again Don!
Old 07-01-2001, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thats cool..how long did it take for him to finish the mod and how much did u get it for..
Old 07-01-2001, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by MaDxKiLLa
thats cool..how long did it take for him to finish the mod and how much did u get it for..
Got in on the group deal for $375 and it took him a little over an hour. I also spent an additional $100 bucks or so on a tranny cooler (Hayden 405) 8 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid, 4 cans of brake cleaner and another $20 bucks for an adjustable torque wrench. The removal and install is pretty easy, you've got to prepare and plan well before starting it though. It pretty messy though. But it's way worth it!! By the way it also downshifts just as crisply when you need it!
Old 07-01-2001, 07:11 PM
nc00max

I don't live in Texas, so I'd have to ship mine from VA, hence taking my one form of transportation out of action for a while. BUT, my ship is going underway from Aug 1-21, so now I have an excuse to get this done much sooner...I have a couple questions though-I have no idea what a valve body looks like or how big it is, so how much would it be to ship? Can any retard with the right tools take it off? Thanks!

Old 07-01-2001, 07:25 PM

First I'm heading of this "Don's Mod." Don must be an impressive guy. Since I live in PA and no where NEAR Houston, can we get some info from Don as to what he's doing to the VB so maybe I can get a good tranny guy near me to work on it?

Yes, if I have a good tranny guy, he should be able to do his own work and should know exactly what to take care of for me, but just curious to see what research I can come up with.
Old 07-01-2001, 08:26 PM

All the info on the VB upgrade (downloadable instructions, pics, info, etc) is here: www.mobiletek.net

As far as getting the low-down on what we do to it....good luck. Its proprietary.

Don
Old 07-01-2001, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Don in Texas
All the info on the VB upgrade (downloadable instructions, pics, info, etc) is here: www.mobiletek.net

As far as getting the low-down on what we do to it....good luck. Its proprietary.

Don
Hey, Don.

Y'all dried out yet? Hope everything is OK with you.
Old 07-01-2001, 09:13 PM

That is strange everyone says their Max shifts slowly and slushy. My Max shifts very firmly and quick. I actually think it shifts too strong sometimes. Would I benefit from Don's upgrade if my tranny already shifts very quick and firm?

Mark
Old 07-01-2001, 10:34 PM

How long did it take for him to do this mod, and you prefer doing this than replacing the solenoid and the TCM???
Old 07-01-2001, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by sleepermax

Got in on the group deal for $375 and it took him a little over an hour. I also spent an additional $100 bucks or so on a tranny cooler (Hayden 405) 8 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid, 4 cans of brake cleaner and another $20 bucks for an adjustable torque wrench. The removal and install is pretty easy, you've got to prepare and plan well before starting it though. It pretty messy though. But it's way worth it!! By the way it also downshifts just as crisply when you need it!
Well it sounds really cool but - did your car sometimes "jerked" ahead while upshifting from 1st to 2nd? I have only this problem and I'm not planning to do any engine mods. I've got my TCM replaced (solved slow downshift problem) and VB too (didn't affect anything). I put RedLine ATF4 in my auto tranny and also didn't notice any improvements.
Old 07-02-2001, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by nc00max
I don't live in Texas, so I'd have to ship mine from VA, hence taking my one form of transportation out of action for a while. BUT, my ship is going underway from Aug 1-21, so now I have an excuse to get this done much sooner...I have a couple questions though-I have no idea what a valve body looks like or how big it is, so how much would it be to ship? Can any retard with the right tools take it off? Thanks!

ncm00max: I was kinda hesitant about removing it at first. You just have to plan it very well and make sure you have a clean work area and keep everything you unscrew very clean when putting it all in (that's what all the break cleaner is for). But it's really just a matter of uncrewing a bunch of bolts and keeping exact track of where each one goes and making sure you have them torqued correctly when putting them back. The VB weights about 10 lbs and you probably will need a "file" size cardboard box to ship it.

marky320: If you need to replace the solenoid and TCM under warranty, in other words if you car is affected by the TSM then I'd definitely take care of it. The VB mod is simply a mod for a tranny in good working order, it's not really a replacement for issues you may need to take care of under warranty.

Max_5gen: sometimes it did, but it shifts like nobodies business now!
Old 07-02-2001, 07:48 PM
Got Bent?

hmmm...another mod to get......but it will be tough putting my car out of commission for a few days to send the VB in and wait for it to get back. It doesn't help that I am on the east coast....
Old 07-02-2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
hmmm...another mod to get......but it will be tough putting my car out of commission for a few days to send the VB in and wait for it to get back. It doesn't help that I am on the east coast....
That's the only drawback - can't use the car until the vb is back in. You may want to check with Don - he suggested I could take out the VB during the day Friday send it overnight via the Post Office so he gets it Saturday and sends it right back Saturday evening also via the Post Office since they have Sunday delivery. This way your car is not out of commission during the week.
I think my next mod will be tires ....which one's to get... maybe Kuhmo's?
Old 07-02-2001, 08:14 PM

Whats the usual turn around time Im in pa too. Also due you have to disconect the trany from the shifter? Ive been planing this for awhile but ive got anther show at the end of the month so I'm waiting till after that. then the car goes back into the shop for 2 months to get ready for finals.
Old 07-03-2001, 05:27 AM

maybe DON will come to the east coast one day like DC and do peoples mod here....MAxus?
Old 07-03-2001, 05:31 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by MaDxKiLLa
maybe DON will come to the east coast one day like DC and do peoples mod here....MAxus?
now that would be awesome....