5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:11 PM

Replacing clutch

I'm needing to replace my clutch and just want to know how big of a project it is, should I do it? or take it to the shop? I've searched the threads, couldn't find anything specific in 5th gen.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Treven711
I'm needing to replace my clutch and just want to know how big of a project it is, should I do it? or take it to the shop? I've searched the threads, couldn't find anything specific in 5th gen.

I guess that all depends on how savvy you are mechanically, have you done a clutch before?..if your like me who recently had to get work done on my clutch, it just made more sense to get it done by a mechanic.(I work alot and didnt really have the time and also Im sure I dont have all the right tools) .Im lucky to have a GOOD mechanic who doesnt try to screw me over like most. He just does the work I request; doesnt come back with - "you need this and that worked on as well and its going to cost this much more money"....Also with the warranty I got I really couldnt beat it. Besides I like to blame someone else if it doesnt work right in the end vs attempting to figure just what went wrong..

It WILL take up alot of your time and of course thats where the mechanics getcha - the labor.. Luckily for me it wasnt too bad as far as cost. $700 - I know Im gonna get burned for that..but again..its whatever you think its worth..

good luck on your decision - also if you do it - I would like to know how it turns out..
Old 01-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

in addition to the basics you'll need a 36mm socket, 1/2" drive 17mm and 14mm deep and shallow plus extensions, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm wrenches and 3/8" sockets plus extensions and ratchets, sandpaper, brake cleaner, rags, high-temp disc brake grease, breaker-bar, a huge prybar/chisel/ or deisel screwdriver to lock the flywheel teeth, zip-tes for the splash-sheild bolts that always brake, a bowl of wheaties (can substitute w/6-pack), a haynes (tip* don't follow instructions about removing y-pipe or engine crossmember and also remove the 3 14mm or 12mm (can't remember) hidden bolts for the passenger axle bracket instead of unbolting the axle. Make sure you put the jackstand under the pinchwelds and then rock the **** out of the car before going under, your goal is to try to make the car fall off of the jackstands before you crawl under it. Hope this gives you an idea of what is needed and what needs to be done
Old 01-15-2007, 05:54 PM

oh and a blow torch makes the strut bolts a breeze, I don't even bother loosing them without heat first, and to undo the axle bolt stick a large screwdriver/chisel into the vent on the rotor and spin it until it hit's the caliper or floor
Old 01-15-2007, 09:24 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Drive up to Chicago I'll do it for ya for 250. Its a hour long job. I've done plenty of .org cars in my shop.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 PM

You'll also need a transmission jack. It's kind of a big job that requires you to know how to use tools pretty well. You should be pretty comfortable working on cars if you're going to try it your self. If you've never done one before you should budget an entire day to it.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:48 PM

if you got a buncha free time, then maybe you can do it. problem is, 1. if you dont have the right tools, you might be stuck without a car to get that tool. 2. it helps to have someone do it with you if you're doing it yourself (from what i heard). 3. it might take you all day. 4. if you go past a day, you have to spend even more time tomorrow.

if you live close to blackbirdvq, you should get it done there. 250 is a real good price. if you choose to do it yourself, get the service manual and make sure you have all the tools.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:17 PM

I couldn't agree more that you should be comfortable working on cars and plan for it to be a whole day project your first time, but for the record you definitily don't need a tranny jack, just get half under the car and lay on your back, tilt it on it's side and get it on your stomach, then shimmy yourself all the way under and use both hands AND your left knee to lift it in place

You can't go wrong for $250 and an hour wait either
Old 01-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Drug Money

It's a hard job. Not for the novices. I currently have my tranny out and I'm waiting to put my AE tranny in.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 PM

$250 is an amazing price, but I don't really have anyway to get my car to chicago. I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and take it to a local mechanic. I've replaced a clutch on an old truck, but I don't think I really want to mess around with the maxima.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:32 PM

I just started a thread on what kind of clutch to get, OE or parts-store or what good aftermarket ones, i didnt even see this one lol damn that seems like a pretty big job. I can def. see myself getting all the tools, getting ready and then running into little things that make it take at least allllll day and get ya good and p*ssed off.

I'd probly go w/ a mechanic, idk how much work you've done- all i can say is pads and rotors, starter, trans. gear oil and stereos is about the extent of my work, wouldnt feel comfortable with all the adjustments and such for it being a first time job.