5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cold Start issue ... SOLVED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 PM

Cold Start issue ... SOLVED!!!

So i went out to over the weekend to clean my IACV. I was taking out the intake, vacuum hoses, and all the other good stuff. So i get to the IACV and tried pulling this hose off. (pic below, red arrow)Coolant started dripping out and i got worried and put it back on. Anyone know if this was supposed to happen? Whats coolant doing in tehre? I had one other hose to take off under the IACV then i would be able to take the entire assembly of the TB and IACV out. That bottom hose is dam near impossible to get thru. So i gave up on cleaning the IACV.

I read b4 attempting to do this that the PCV could cause this. So i went out and got the Puralator one #PCV1058. If something shakes in the PCV valve then its still good. I pulled mine out looked inside and it was gunked up and nothing moved when i shook it. All you gotta do is yank on it. Most likely the hose will come out first. Use a pair or needle nose pliars and yank the PCV out.(It does not screw out) If you look at the pic i labled the hose that leads to the PCV valve with blue arrows.

I used this write up to clean my TB. http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/517. VERY helpful. I used Sea Foam Deep Creep, manually opened the butterfly plate and used a rag and a tooth brush to wipe it down. Also remember to wipe the butterfly plate!
My dad came out had me start the car and he sprayed the Seafoam in thru the TB, reving while he sprayed in. The MAF wasnt pluged in and a SES light immediatly came on. Well after the cleaning and PCV valve replacement, IT IDLES PERFECT IN THE COLD MORNINGS!! WOO HOO!
The prblem is i still have and SES light, Im hoping the car will learn itself and get rid of the light on its own. There is a hole leading to the IACV in front of the butterfly plate, im wondering if too much of the SeaFoam got into the IACV and messed it up? Anyone confirm that?

Any questions let me know. I REALLY believe that the PCV had alot to do with it so try changing that out first before attempting to clean the IACV. Ive been getting comments that it could be the EGR tube as well but what i did solved my problem and i dont have to go thru the trouble of cleaning the EGR.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

To get rid of the SES light just unplug your battery for a few hours to clear the code.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Yeah unplug the battery. I also heard that after unplugging battery you tap on the brakes a couple time to fully discharge any energy left. Not sure if that is true...but worth a shot anyhow.

Most likely the SES was due to your unplugged MAF. Next time you do it just leave the MAF plugged in and off to the side. That's how I did it when I used your same cleaning method.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:58 PM
The original VQ...

wait the have sea foam in a spray now??

I did mine throught the brake booster hose thingy, does that run it throught the TB??
Old 02-01-2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
wait the have sea foam in a spray now??

I did mine throught the brake booster hose thingy, does that run it throught the TB??
Yessir! http://www.seafoamsales.com/deepCreepTech.htm

Doing it thru the brake booster line does not go through the TB. Infact, it cleans right after it. If you follow the brake booster line, you'll see it go directly to the Intake Manifold.