5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Door Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:58 PM

Door Problem

I have a problem with my passenger door closing properly. In order for it to close i really have to slam it hard, if i close it normally then it closes half way and I haft to re-open the door and slam it shut. Went to Nissan they said it was an adjusment (which I had to pay for). It went good for a couple of days then started up again, I sprayed some silicone spray in the latch, it went good for 2 days and now today it starting the same problem again, gotta slam it hard to shut it. Keep in mind that right now it is -20 degrees celcius where i live.......do u guys think they should change the door latch?

Another problem that I have is with my front driver side wheel. If i am lets saying doing a U-turn with my wheel turned all the way to the right or I take a really sharp curve where the wheel is turned almost all the way and I accelerate there is a very load squeaking noise. This happens only when the car is cold, when the car warms up the noise is no longer there.

Thanks guys 4 ur help
Old 01-30-2007, 05:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Take it back to the dealer if you already paid them to fix it.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Roby1981
I have a problem with my passenger door closing properly. In order for it to close i really have to slam it hard, if i close it normally then it closes half way and I haft to re-open the door and slam it shut. Went to Nissan they said it was an adjusment (which I had to pay for). It went good for a couple of days then started up again, I sprayed some silicone spray in the latch, it went good for 2 days and now today it starting the same problem again, gotta slam it hard to shut it. Keep in mind that right now it is -20 degrees celcius where i live.......do u guys think they should change the door latch?

Another problem that I have is with my front driver side wheel. If i am lets saying doing a U-turn with my wheel turned all the way to the right or I take a really sharp curve where the wheel is turned almost all the way and I accelerate there is a very load squeaking noise. This happens only when the car is cold, when the car warms up the noise is no longer there.

Thanks guys 4 ur help
Take it back to the dealership. They should back the initial repair. It should certainly last longer than you indicated.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:49 AM
I'm a Happy Man!

sounds like that latch might need to be replaced so take it back th=o the stealership and let them finish the job they started.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Teddie18
Take it back to the dealership. They should back the initial repair. It should certainly last longer than you indicated.
This is good advice.

I'm guessing that they adjusted the latch pin. If they didn't tighten down the screws well, then it probably moved. Normally latch pins don't need to be adjusted, unless something else is afoot. Worn door hinges are the common culprit. If your car has been in an accident, then the chassis could be bent such that the latch pin no longer aligns with the latch. It could be a worn out latch mechanism, but these usually last the life of the vehicle, however, it may need to be lubricated. You can adjust the latch pin yourself, as well as lube the latch mechanism, neither of which is difficult. Adjusting the pin just takes a bit of time and patience, as it's a bit of a trial and error process.

However, since you've paid the dealer to adjust it, take it back and make them stand behind their work.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Roby1981

Thanks guys 4 ur help
definitely take it back to the dealer as others have mentioned..

As for your other problem, I had the same exact thing. What you need to do is look underneath your car (mine was the passenger side even though I thought the sound was coming from the driver's side) and look at your CV axles. The plastic weather guard that goes over the wheel well was rubbing up against my passenger side CV axle causing it to make this squeaking noise whenever I turned, especially when I applied a little throttle and when it was cold outside. If that's not the problem and there's nothing in the way, check the CV boots for tears.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:23 AM

oook, so my door seems to be woking fine now......it has a mind of its own.

As for my other problem that i mention about the front wheel, the noise is still there. I have been to Nissan 3 times and they have no clue what the problem is, they checked everything and took off the wheel and can't find anything. This only happens whens its cold, as soon the car warms up the noise is gone. VERY ANNOYING
Old 09-08-2009, 05:49 AM

I'm now having this problem. Does anyone know the fix? I lubed the hinges with a dry lubricant and put lithium grease on the slider bar located between the upper and lower hinges. None of this helped.