5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Phenolic Spacer Development for VQ35s

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by 026speed
The spacers are an awesome mod!! Aaron knows his SHI*.. Quick install & def gets the job done... I have the stillen fstb & the elbow rubs when i pop it into reverse too quickly... The e.s. mounts will help wit that tho = less motor flex..
Or grind the top of your intake manifold for clearance, you won't hurt anything!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by 026speed
The spacers are an awesome mod!! Aaron knows his SHI*.. Quick install & def gets the job done... I have the stillen fstb & the elbow rubs when i pop it into reverse too quickly... The e.s. mounts will help wit that tho = less motor flex..
Thanks for the free bump. Better engine mounts will definitely help a lot. You can add a couple washers under your FSTB mounts to raise those slightly. Or you can do as mentioned and grind a little away from your manifold.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:54 PM

Alright so I installed my spacers yesterday and to say the least I am very pissed...I left the main one between the upper and lower plenum off because I knew I am going to have to pull the upper back off to change my header gasket. Anyway, I started the car up and it instantly threw a code...so I let it warm up and it was idling fine but it still had the code, so I reset the ECU and started it back up and luckily there was no code so I thought it was fine. So then I let the car sit there for a while and it's idling fine so I go to rev it up a little bit and as soon as give it a little gas off idle it sort-of bogs and then revs up, well then I gave it 100% off idle and it bogged down tremondously and backfired...I don't know why it is doing this. This couldn't be because of a leak from the spacers could it??? Please help me out here because if I can't fix this these spacers are going in the trash and my intake manifold gaskets will be back on.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Seoul Man

pimpin, what code are you throwing? Get the exact code number from Autozone if you don't know how to check the code yourself using the ignition key and accelerator pedal. Once you get the exact code, you can come here (or check the FSM) to find out what that code means. Autozone will be able to give you a general idea of what the code means, but Nissan's exact description of each code and the recommended troubleshooting procedures for each code are always nice.

The only time I had symptoms similar to yours (code, bogging) was when a hose clamp came loose on my intake. I dropped the whole Berk intake and my MAF sensor off the throttle body, so air was sucking straight in through my throttle body and bypassing the MAF. Since my car saw no air passing through the MAF sensor, it threw a code and went into limp mode.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by spiromax
pimpin, what code are you throwing? Get the exact code number from Autozone if you don't know how to check the code yourself using the ignition key and accelerator pedal. Once you get the exact code, you can come here (or check the FSM) to find out what that code means. Autozone will be able to give you a general idea of what the code means, but Nissan's exact description of each code and the recommended troubleshooting procedures for each code are always nice.

The only time I had symptoms similar to yours (code, bogging) was when a hose clamp came loose on my intake. I dropped the whole Berk intake and my MAF sensor off the throttle body, so air was sucking straight in through my throttle body and bypassing the MAF. Since my car saw no air passing through the MAF sensor, it threw a code and went into limp mode.
I didn't check the code, and now I can't pull it because I reset my ECU so it's not coming up anymore and right now the battery and IM are completely yanked out for the tranny install anyway...

but yeah, the only thing I could really think of would be maybe one of the spacers where leaking bad enough to cause something like this. So tomorrow I'm buying the IM gaskets and I'm at least putting them on the lower IM to head space because no matter how little RTV I put it still squeezes out in the intake ports, not much but still. I'll probably just end up using the top part of the spacer kit and the coolant bypass (which I think is most of the cooler temps anyway IMO). And instead of RTV I'll probably just put 2 gaskets on both sides of the upper/lower plenum spacer. Because I'm putting a tranmission in right now and I just don't want to take a chance with anything anymore. Screwing up my tranmission has really put things into perspective for me and I will still occasionally go to the races and still do some spirited driving but as for mods...I'm done until I get out of school in August of 2010. I mean I'm not blaming it on this because it could have been a quencedence but the day my transmission completely messed up on me was the same day I did the Free STS and changed my Tranny fluid. Now when I put the spacers on this happened, hell when I just put a cone filter on somehow I managed to unplug my Fans from the actual fuse-box and the car overheated on me so I don't want to take any more chances with stupid stuff like that. The upper spacers should be enough to keep it cool and give good power because the lower spacers aren't even much thicker then the gaskets anyway. But sorry for the long rant I just haven't been having good luck lately.

Last edited by pimpin02max; 06-05-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:48 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by pimpin02max
Alright so I installed my spacers yesterday and to say the least I am very pissed...I left the main one between the upper and lower plenum off because I knew I am going to have to pull the upper back off to change my header gasket. Anyway, I started the car up and it instantly threw a code...so I let it warm up and it was idling fine but it still had the code, so I reset the ECU and started it back up and luckily there was no code so I thought it was fine. So then I let the car sit there for a while and it's idling fine so I go to rev it up a little bit and as soon as give it a little gas off idle it sort-of bogs and then revs up, well then I gave it 100% off idle and it bogged down tremondously and backfired...I don't know why it is doing this. This couldn't be because of a leak from the spacers could it??? Please help me out here because if I can't fix this these spacers are going in the trash and my intake manifold gaskets will be back on.
I wouldn't be so quick to the blame the intake spacers as the cause of your problems. And I hope you won't throw them in the trash. Also, I am MORE than happy to help you out with any install questions you may have. Just shoot me an email or call me and I'll help you solve your problem. For anybody reading on, this is the very first time I have heard of your problems with our Intake Spacers. In the future, please call me or send me an email to give us a chance to help you with the problem before being so quick to blame the spacers.

But it does sound like you have a major intake leak or something is installed incorrectly. And in order to get the full benefit of the kit, it would be best to install all the spacers. The two thin lower intake spacers do a lot more than people realize. They reduce the temperatures of the lower intake manifold by 30 degrees on average. So they definitely do a lot. And I would not recommend to sandwich the spacers with OEM intake gaskets. This will keep you from achieving the best airflow possible.

I would recommend to go back over the entire install of the intake manifold. I'm sure something is connected or installed improperly. If you have ANY questions, please email me at [aaron@nwpengineering.com] and I will do everything I can to make sure you are happy with your NWP Engineering Spacers.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I wouldn't be so quick to the blame the intake spacers as the cause of your problems. And I hope you won't throw them in the trash. Also, I am MORE than happy to help you out with any install questions you may have. Just shoot me an email or call me and I'll help you solve your problem. For anybody reading on, this is the very first time I have heard of your problems with our Intake Spacers. In the future, please call me or send me an email to give us a chance to help you with the problem before being so quick to blame the spacers.

But it does sound like you have a major intake leak or something is installed incorrectly. And in order to get the full benefit of the kit, it would be best to install all the spacers. The two thin lower intake spacers do a lot more than people realize. They reduce the temperatures of the lower intake manifold by 30 degrees on average. So they definitely do a lot. And I would not recommend to sandwich the spacers with OEM intake gaskets. This will keep you from achieving the best airflow possible.

I would recommend to go back over the entire install of the intake manifold. I'm sure something is connected or installed improperly. If you have ANY questions, please email me at [aaron@nwpengineering.com] and I will do everything I can to make sure you are happy with your NWP Engineering Spacers.
I've tried installing them 3 different times with the same results everytime...PROBLEMS!!! I'm not mouthing your spacers I was just simply posting my problem which in turn had to due with installing these spacers. Also I will note that I am not the first one to have had problems with these spacers before, I've read a of a couple people who have thrown codes and poor Soonerfan had tons of problems (although I believe it was something to do with his throttle body). I'm going to dissasemble everything again today because I can't do anything more with my tranny until the throw out bearing and my pilot bearing come in and I will put it back together but I won't be able to start the car for another couple of days but if I start the car up and anything seems funny, I will not leave them on. I'm just tired of the headaches associated with the small mods I keep doing to my car. Maybe I'm just a bad mechanic??? Who knows...

Last edited by pimpin02max; 06-06-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:30 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I've tried installing them 3 different times with the same results everytime...PROBLEMS!!! I'm not mouthing your spacers I was just simply posting my problem which in turn had to due with installing these spacers. Also I will note that I am not the first one to have had problems with these spacers before, I've read a of a couple people who have thrown codes and poor Soonerfan had tons of problems (although I believe it was something to do with his throttle body). I'm going to dissasemble everything again today because I can't do anything more with my tranny until the throw out bearing and my pilot bearing come in and I will put it back together but I won't be able to start the car for another couple of days but if I start the car up and anything seems funny, I will not leave them on. I'm just tired of the headaches associated with the small mods I keep doing to my car. Maybe I'm just a bad mechanic??? Who knows...
I'm sorry you've had so many problems. To the best of my knowledge, there has not been any instances where the NWP Engineering Spacers caused any engine issues, when properly installed. If you know of any people that feel that the NWP Intake Spacers caused codes to appear, then tell me who they are so I can contact them right away and solve their issue. It sounds like you have more than one issue with your engine though and you will need to figure it out before installing the spacers.

But I can guarantee that the NWP Intake Spacers will not cause any engine problems or check engine lights to appear. There are several hundred very happy VQ35 customers with our spacers installed with great results.

I would recommend for you to uninstall the spacers and once your other engine problems are sorted out, you can reinstall them again.

Again, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the installation of the spacers. I will be happy to help out. If you feel you received a defective spacer, I will be happy to replace it for you free of cost. But, I personally inspect every single spacer before it gets shipped. I have not come across any instances where a crack occurred which would cause intake leaks. But there is a first time for everything and I am more than willing to correct the matter right away. All I ask is that you please give me a chance to correct matter before you make a post that may give readers the wrong impression about NWP Engineering products.

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 06-06-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:10 PM

I'm sorry you've had so many problems. To the best of my knowledge, there has not been any instances where the NWP Engineering Spacers caused any engine issues, when properly installed. If you know of any people that feel that the NWP Intake Spacers caused codes to appear, then tell me who they are so I can contact them right away and solve their issue. It sounds like you have more than one issue with your engine though and you will need to figure it out before installing the spacers.

But I can guarantee that the NWP Intake Spacers will not cause any engine problems or check engine lights to appear. There are several hundred very happy VQ35 customers with our spacers installed with great results.

I would recommend for you to uninstall the spacers and once your other engine problems are sorted out, you can reinstall them again.

Again, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the installation of the spacers. I will be happy to help out. If you feel you received a defective spacer, I will be happy to replace it for you free of cost. But, I personally inspect every single spacer before it gets shipped. I have not come across any instances where a crack occurred which would cause intake leaks. But there is a first time for everything and I am more than willing to correct the matter right away. All I ask is that you please give me a chance to correct matter before you make a post that may give readers the wrong impression about NWP Engineering products.
The spacers are all fine...and I don't have any other problems...I ran/drove the car fine with no problems for quite some time now. With no SES codes or bogging backfiring problems and this stuff happened immediately after the spacer install so I know 100% that it was either the spacers themselves or I did something wrong on the install of them. There is nothing else wrong with my car though. Like I said I am tearing the IM apart again to re-do all the spacers and we will see how it turns out.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:34 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Please let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:21 PM

And I would not recommend to sandwich the spacers with OEM intake gaskets. This will keep you from achieving the best airflow possible.
I still haven't gotten my transmission parts yet so I haven't had a chance to fire the car up but I had a question. I was looking at spacers for all kinds of vehicles and found that at least 99% of them used the spacers sandwiched between the OEM gaskets (example: Mustangs, Sonoma's, Forrestors, the Motordyne 350z's and then some come with pre-injected gasket material) Whenever I checked for leaks the other day I could here a leak coming out of the throttle body and the elbow spacer which could have been my fault because I don't think anybody else had leaks. But anyway my question is I am planning on running the main Upper/Lower spacer with 2 OEM gaskets on both sides. I don't think this will hurt performance but I do think it might help a little bit. I was looking and the gaskets are pretty thick, I measured them and they are 1/8" thick together squeezed. So then I measured the spacer with the 2 gaskets and the spacer and naturally it went from a 1/4" to 3/8" so wouldn't that help because the size of the spacer has increased??? I am also thinking about getting some throttle body and elbow gaskets and running 2 on both sides of it as well. I'm just too paranoid about having leaks and the RTV getting into my intake ports because you can't tell if they have or have not on the elbow and the TB (unless you manually open the butterfly which from what I have a read a BIG NO NO!!!)
Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 PM

I was also thinking...everyone that has installed these said they got a whistle...what could that be from besides small leaks???
Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I still haven't gotten my transmission parts yet so I haven't had a chance to fire the car up but I had a question. I was looking at spacers for all kinds of vehicles and found that at least 99% of them used the spacers sandwiched between the OEM gaskets (example: Mustangs, Sonoma's, Forrestors, the Motordyne 350z's and then some come with pre-injected gasket material) Whenever I checked for leaks the other day I could here a leak coming out of the throttle body and the elbow spacer which could have been my fault because I don't think anybody else had leaks. But anyway my question is I am planning on running the main Upper/Lower spacer with 2 OEM gaskets on both sides. I don't think this will hurt performance but I do think it might help a little bit. I was looking and the gaskets are pretty thick, I measured them and they are 1/8" thick together squeezed. So then I measured the spacer with the 2 gaskets and the spacer and naturally it went from a 1/4" to 3/8" so wouldn't that help because the size of the spacer has increased??? I am also thinking about getting some throttle body and elbow gaskets and running 2 on both sides of it as well. I'm just too paranoid about having leaks and the RTV getting into my intake ports because you can't tell if they have or have not on the elbow and the TB (unless you manually open the butterfly which from what I have a read a BIG NO NO!!!)
All I can do is try my best to lead you in the right direction. It's your car and your decision. I mentioned before that adding intake gaskets will hurt airflow. I would suggest not to use any intake manifold gaskets at all. The stock UIM gasket is very thick and is not perfectly port matched. Just because the intake runner was increased does not mean you are putting down more HP.

Also, I highly recommend to have a mechanic look at your car. These are very basic questions about intake leaks and I feel that it would be best for a qualified mechanic to install these spacers. Black RTV is very easy to apply, just tedious sometimes. And if done correctly, you will not have ANY RTV squeeze out in the airflow. Not one bit.

And yes, you can open the TB. But you MUST follow the correct procedure. Never try to open the TB manually when there is no power going to the TB. If you are slightly unsure about the correct procedure, have an experienced Nissan mechanic do it for you.

I was also thinking...everyone that has installed these said they got a whistle...what could that be from besides small leaks???
There should be no intake leaks at all. The whistle comes from people already having a performance air filter. All cone filters I've tested on various Nissans will give a slight whistle sound at certain parts of the power band and under certain engine loads. Whenever you increase airflow, by doing port work or installing intake spacers, your intake will usually get louder and may sound different. But this whistling sound that you've heard about is not caused by an intake leak. If you have even the slightest intake leak, stop driving the car and fix it immediately.

Also, please send me an email to [aaron@nwpengineering.com] or call me at 252-747-7672. I will be able to respond much faster this way instead of carrying on a conversation in this thread.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:03 PM

I'm not an expert regarding this, but I don't see how the spacers would cause you to throw a code? I mean they're not really altering the design of the motor. Seems like maybe there's a leak now, and you just need to double check to see if everything is tight. I had an IM spacer on my Mazdaspeed Protege, and I also had a code right after the install, but it ended up being something I screwed up when I was putting everything back together.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:17 PM

Also, I highly recommend to have a mechanic look at your car. These are very basic questions about intake leaks and I feel that it would be best for a qualified mechanic to install these spacers. Black RTV is very easy to apply, just tedious sometimes. And if done correctly, you will not have ANY RTV squeeze out in the airflow. Not one bit.
I don't appreciate you basically telling me I don't know how to work on my car...not one bit. I have done a headers/y-pipe install twice, and doing a tranny swap as we speak as well as various other things on my Mustang and Trans Am. I'm not another Maxima owner that can't even install a intake. I put the spacers on right...I'm not the only one that threw a code, quit trying to tell me that there is something wrong with my car because I know there is nothing wrong with it, I have driven it with no problems for a very long time now. I just can't believe your trying to say that there's just something wrong with my car when it hasn't thrown a code in forever and as soon as I installed the spacers upon first startup it threw a code? Hmmm...I guess it's just a quesedence though huh? Then I reset the ECU and the code went away and it was idling fine...so that was fine, but then when I gave it gas it bogged down and backfired all of a sudden? Your telling me that had nothing to do with the spacers? It was all just a quesedence and that my car already had problems even though it has never done anything like that before? Wow...I'm not even going to try the spacers anymore...I have already pulled the lower ones off and the elbow and TB one as well, I will be leaving the coolant bypass (which is where I guarantee you 80% of the cooler intake comes from) on and putting the main plenum spacer "sandwiched" in between the two factory gaskets. I need this car to be reliable and every time I pull the lower IM off I risk a chance of dropping something into the head, it's not worth it for a cooler intake. I'd rather just put the plenum spacer and the coolant bypass and be happy and have a car that runs!!!

I've wanted these spacers ever since they came out and heard nothing but good things about them and it just really ticks me off that sure enough just like every other mod it seems to screw my car up...I'm sick of dealing with it so I'm just gonna 1/2 install them for now and then maybe a couple of weeks from now I will install the rest of the kit, I'm not going to install the lowers though.

Last edited by pimpin02max; 06-08-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 PM

In that case I'll take whatever you don't use off of your hands...
Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I don't appreciate you basically telling me I don't know how to work on my car...not one bit. I have done a headers/y-pipe install twice, and doing a tranny swap as we speak as well as various other things on my Mustang and Trans Am. I'm not another Maxima owner that can't even install a intake. I put the spacers on right...I'm not the only one that threw a code, quit trying to tell me that there is something wrong with my car because I know there is nothing wrong with it, I have driven it with no problems for a very long time now. I just can't believe your trying to say that there's just something wrong with my car when it hasn't thrown a code in forever and as soon as I installed the spacers upon first startup it threw a code? Hmmm...I guess it's just a quesedence though huh? Then I reset the ECU and the code went away and it was idling fine...so that was fine, but then when I gave it gas it bogged down and backfired all of a sudden? Your telling me that had nothing to do with the spacers? It was all just a quesedence and that my car already had problems even though it has never done anything like that before? Wow...I'm not even going to try the spacers anymore...I have already pulled the lower ones off and the elbow and TB one as well, I will be leaving the coolant bypass (which is where I guarantee you 80% of the cooler intake comes from) on and putting the main plenum spacer "sandwiched" in between the two factory gaskets. I need this car to be reliable and every time I pull the lower IM off I risk a chance of dropping something into the head, it's not worth it for a cooler intake. I'd rather just put the plenum spacer and the coolant bypass and be happy and have a car that runs!!!

I've wanted these spacers ever since they came out and heard nothing but good things about them and it just really ticks me off that sure enough just like every other mod it seems to screw my car up...I'm sick of dealing with it so I'm just gonna 1/2 install them for now and then maybe a couple of weeks from now I will install the rest of the kit, I'm not going to install the lowers though.
I apologize for that. It was you that mentioned that you may not have the needed skills to work on your own car. I'm sorry I took that literally.

I am doing everything I can to help you fix your problem. I can guarantee the spacers are not causing the code unless they are broken or cracked. There is nothing about the design of these spacers that would cause any engine problems if installed properly.

Also, you mentioned you were not the only one that threw a code? Do you know of anybody else that is having problems? If so, please tell them to contact me so I can resolve their issue.

I don't have any other ideas what could be causing your problems other than the intake leaks you said you noticed. Unless there is a crack in the spacer, you should not have any intake leaks. Once you fix the leaks, I'm sure you will be fine.

Also, please give me the code or codes you are getting and I will be able to help you further.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Also, if you would like to return the spacers, I would be willing to accept a return even though they have been installed. This is something I've never done before. Usually once they are installed, they can not be returned. But, I can make an exception for you if you would like. Just shoot me an email.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 PM

what a great business man..
Old 06-09-2009, 01:24 PM

Also, if you would like to return the spacers, I would be willing to accept a return even though they have been installed. This is something I've never done before. Usually once they are installed, they can not be returned. But, I can make an exception for you if you would like. Just shoot me an email.
That sounds good...but I really don't think you would want to do that. They have the RTV all over them which I could scrape off but it would go throught the black coating. And then one of the lower spacers is chipped in between the two holes so it's not like it's on one of the ports so that it won't seal. But I mean it's up to you. I just wish I wouldn't have had problems with these.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:46 AM

If I purchase Aaron's spacers this Summer, it will be partly due to the professionalism he's shown here and the patience he's demonstrating towards this kid.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 AM
NWP Engineering.com

That sounds good...but I really don't think you would want to do that. They have the RTV all over them which I could scrape off but it would go throught the black coating. And then one of the lower spacers is chipped in between the two holes so it's not like it's on one of the ports so that it won't seal. But I mean it's up to you. I just wish I wouldn't have had problems with these.
As you mentioned to me, there aren't any cracks in the spacers which would cause an intake leak. So, I would recommend to fix your intake leaks and tell me what code you are getting.

But if you are honestly not happy with the spacers, I would be willing to accept a return just to try to make this right. You're right, I do not have any use for used spacers and we would not be able to turn around and sell them. You have expressed that you are very unsatisfied with the NWP Engineering Thermal Intake Spacers and I just want to show you that I fully stand behind our products even when there aren't any defects.

If you would like to proceed and try to fix your problem, I am more than happy to do everything I can to make sure you are happy and have a smooth running engine once again. I assure you the spacers are worth it and once they are properly installed, you will be happy with the performance increase as the rest of the Maxima community is.

Also, I am very easy to get in touch with. If you would like to expedite matters, feel free to contact me via email or give us a call. I usually only check the forums once a day, but I am constantly monitor email and the phones during business hours M-F.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 AM

So I've read the last couple pages and have some have noticed 1) codes have still not been posted (they could help) 2) the others that have had problems are still un-named 3) he still hasn't resorted to emailing/phone calling Aaron as requested

Aaron, props to you for keeping your professionalism and patience with this dude. It'd be interesting to see how many of those other individuals who have had problems actually had them done by a certified Nissan master tech...it's hard to believe the product is as fault in this scenario.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:36 AM

We need MORE buisness men like him. He had my business at hello, but this just confirms it.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by MIK3
So I've read the last couple pages and have some have noticed 1) codes have still not been posted (they could help) 2) the others that have had problems are still un-named 3) he still hasn't resorted to emailing/phone calling Aaron as requested

Aaron, props to you for keeping your professionalism and patience with this dude. It'd be interesting to see how many of those other individuals who have had problems actually had them done by a certified Nissan master tech...it's hard to believe the product is as fault in this scenario.
1. I reset my ECU so the codes were cleared and now my car is in peices because of my tranny swap so I can't start the car nor can I even get power because the battery is pulled out.

2. Soonerfan, The Law, 04 MAX ILLIN all got codes upon startup and then they went away after the reset. The code isn't my issue as it went away after I reset the ECU, my problem was that the motor bogged under throttle and when I would give it WOT it bogged way down and backfired.

3. I haven't called Aaron yet because I'm still debating on what to do with the spacers yet...whether I want to put them on later down the road or sell them for cheap or what. Nothing over the phone could help that hasn't already been discussed in here.

It's a freaking intake manifold spacer install...don't necassarily think you have to have a Nissan Tech install these...it's a straightforward install and was very easy, that's why I don't understand why I was having problems. It takes like 15 minutes to pull the upper/lower intake off. ;

And just so you guys know, I'm not here just to slander the product, there are many that have ran the spacers smoothly without a problem whatsoever, I didn't experience any idle problems whatsoever...my car idled just as smooth as before and after I reset my ECU the code went away, but everytime I would give it gas it would bog and under heavy throttle it would almost die and then backfire...don't sit there and try to make me sound like a bad guy just because I'm a teenager that has had problems with a product. All I did was post my problems and ask you guys what you thought it was and then everyone started getting all defensive saying "well it's not the spacers...blah blah blah"...I'm not blaming the spacers, I was just asking what you guys thought it could be. I know that there was nothing wrong with my car before I put these on and then it started doing that so there was something in between the install and initial startup that caused this and that's what I was trying to find out and you guys took it that I was trying to badmouth the spacers and blame it on them...

I'm done posting in here because it's getting me nowhere, all it's doing is turning you all against me because I'm the 1 in 100000 to have problems with these so of course it's impossible to have problems with these so I'm just a bad guy and don't know how to work on my car I should take it to a ASE Certified Nissan Master Technician that probably knows less about my Maxima then I do...

Last edited by pimpin02max; 06-11-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Alright so I installed my spacers yesterday and to say the least I am very pissed...I left the main one between the upper and lower plenum off because I knew I am going to have to pull the upper back off to change my header gasket. Anyway, I started the car up and it instantly threw a code...so I let it warm up and it was idling fine but it still had the code
How long did you wait after the install to start it?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 AM

I wish I could control myself like you do holy hell..
Old 06-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Bad *** Newb

Just bought the spacers and now lookin for plugs. I will be installing them this weekend (so long everything else goes smoothly).
Old 06-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Just bought the spacers and now lookin for plugs. I will be installing them this weekend (so long everything else goes smoothly).
Good for you, and good luck! I'd love to hear your opinions when you're done.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...p-spacers.html
Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Thank you. Your package will ship out today. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Bad *** Newb

Thank you. Your package will ship out today. Please let me know if you have any questions.
I think I read that I should use the 1 min RTV for boosted apps. Is that right? If I don't get a RWD, I'm going to have to boost.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I think I read that I should use the 1 min RTV for boosted apps. Is that right? If I don't get a RWD, I'm going to have to boost.
I recommend Permatex 1 minute gasket for any spacer install just because it's so easy to apply. But if you are boosted, then I recommend it since it's more of a rubberized compound and should hold up better to high manifold pressures.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Bad *** Newb

I want to note that the sealant has to be applied VERY thin. I thought I put it on thin but it was still starting to ooze out of the sides.

Also, be prepared with lots of good cloths. I used like 5 of them cleaning out the LIM and w/e you call the ports underneath it (I know I'm stupid). There was lots of sludgy crap sticking to the walls. I also took a wire wheel to the IMs to clean them perfectly so the sealant really sticks.

As far as the bracket in the back near the firewall...I forgot to take it off and there was no ill effect. The IM scraped down it and sat flush when 1st tightening the bolts.

And one more thing. The bottom part of my injector seals (it's like a small cap around the end) were broken. Maybe should buy some in advance? I went to the store, but they were the wrong ones, so idk what to say about that. The actual seals were fine, so I just pushed them back in. Might as well change the plugs while you're in there, too

Ok, I lied, another thing; you should probably consider relocating the knock sensor at this time, so it's easier to replace later (and make it less sensitive).

If I hadn't been so busy cleaning **** thoroughly, it could've been done in an hour.

It has a nice whistle at low rpms when at a certain throttle level. Sounds pretty cool.

It was hot today, but the UIM didn't burn me (still hot though) and the intake tubing was only warm.

That's about it, I think. I hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 06-20-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:08 AM

Hang on, you managed to unplug you radiator fans while fitting a pod filter and your wondering if you have successfully completed the spacer install?

Are you really sure that the spacers are causing a problem? 19 pages and some very good results

Throwing a code on first startup and then after clearing it, throwing another code the first time you rev it is a little odd. I really think you need to look over everything else, as moving the IM position will not cause a code but there is plenty of other things that may cause the problem.

Causing a back fire is the key here though. A leak big enough for that to happen while the engine is not under load is... about the same size as the brake booster hose
Old 06-21-2009, 12:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

As far as the bracket in the back near the firewall...I forgot to take it off and there was no ill effect. The IM scraped down it and sat flush when 1st tightening the bolts.
Thanks for posting that info.

Just to be careful, I would go back and look closely at the intake manifold support bracket. Due to the design of the Spacer kit, if you leave the bracket still on the engine, it will put a lot of awkward stress on the elbow and may cause some problems. I highly recommend to go back and remove the bracket completely.

The UIM spacer does raise the intake manifold and elbow by exactly 3/16". But, when the elbow spacer is installed, it moves the elbow towards the firewall by a 1/4". But the bracket is in the way. So, the intake manifold may not be sitting completely flat. To be safe, go back and remove the bracket and then retorque the UIM bolts and nuts.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Bad *** Newb

Thanks for posting that info.

Just to be careful, I would go back and look closely at the intake manifold support bracket. Due to the design of the Spacer kit, if you leave the bracket still on the engine, it will put a lot of awkward stress on the elbow and may cause some problems. I highly recommend to go back and remove the bracket completely.

The UIM spacer does raise the intake manifold and elbow by exactly 3/16". But, when the elbow spacer is installed, it moves the elbow towards the firewall by a 1/4". But the bracket is in the way. So, the intake manifold may not be sitting completely flat. To be safe, go back and remove the bracket and then retorque the UIM bolts and nuts.
Hmmm, then I guess I'm extra stupid. I thought you were talking about the bracket that comes off the engine block. It barely hits the UIM. I guess a previous owner took the problem bracket off. I have nothing near the elbow.

I told you I'm stupid
Old 06-21-2009, 01:08 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Hmmm, then I guess I'm extra stupid. I thought you were talking about the bracket that comes off the engine block. It barely hits the UIM. I guess a previous owner took the problem bracket off. I have nothing near the elbow.

I told you I'm stupid
The intake manifold support bracket connects with two bolts on the backside of the elbow (the tube that connects the throttle body to the large upper intake manifold). The bracket connects the elbow to the head.

It's very possible your elbow has been removed from your car before and the mechanic didn't bother bolting it back in place. But if that bracket is still mounted on the head, go back and remove it, then make sure nothing is broken on your intake manifold and everything is still torque to spec. If there's no bracket, then it's already been removed from your car by a mechanic. It's one of the first things I do to any Nissan manifold I remove. Get rid of that pain in the butt bracket.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Bad *** Newb

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:10 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks for clarifying.
Not a problem at all. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Bad *** Newb

I was able to do a good amount of city driving today. It's 95*

From 1.5k to 4k acceleration is MUCH faster. My gutted IM was really weak in that spot and the spacers practically solved it. Intake is definitely more throaty with a little growl. I can't comment on up top b/c I've got some issue that's hurting perf rather significantly (according to my butt dyno anyway, it doesn't race to redline ).

I'm happy and I think everyone should consider getting these.

Quick Reply: Phenolic Spacer Development for VQ35s