5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

When to replace Air Filter, Cabin Micro Filter, Plugs and Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When to replace Air Filter, Cabin Micro Filter, Plugs and Fuel Filter

Hello guys,

I have Maxima 2003 GXE and it has 45,000 miles on it. I have some very basic questions. I tried to search for these answers using Google search on this forum but didn't get anything. May be my search method/criteria was wrong. If I shouldn't create this new thread because the answers are already there somewhere, then please let me know how could I have found them.

Question 1:
How do I know when to replace the Gas/Fuel Filter? What if I replace it anyway will my car become more efficient? By that I mean, will I get more acceleration? As far as I know may be a little more acceleration but it is good for the car to have a newer Fuel/Gas Filter?

Question 2
How do I know when to replace the Cabin Micro Filter? Will I notice any difference If I change it. Last time I went for Service, Nissan told me that I don't have to change it yet. It also say on the manual that I am supposed to change it every year. Can you let me know more about this?

Question 3
How do I know when to replace the Platinum Spark Plugs? I know it should be after 100 ,000 miles. However, that seem to be too long. I feel I should change it every 50,000 miles so that I can get better acceleration. Am I correct?

Question 4
How do I know when to replace the Air Filter? Again last time I went for service, Nissan told me that i don't need to replace it yet. Will I notice any difference If I change it anyway in terms of acceleration, smooth driving, less noise etc.

Question 5
This is a general question? I always take my car to Nissan Service Center. I notice most of my friends (not necessarily all of them have Nissan) take their car to other (not the manufacturer service center) service center. Obviously I am paying more just because I go to Nissan Service Center. I am just curious what do you guys do because you all have Maxima?

Question 6
This is a extreme winter question? I usually don't plugin my block heater. I don't know if it is a good thing or bad thing. I live in Winnipeg (coldest city in the world, yeah I am not kidding). Last week the temperature was about -38 Celsius (-36.4 Fahrenheit). Do you guys think I should start using the block heater? I do have remote starter and I always (or I should say most of the time) keep the ignition on for 10-15min before I start driving. To my understanding It is not good for the car to drive out immediately (when the temp is that low). You are supposed to keep the car running at least 10 min. Am i right?

I would really appreciate if you could answer my questions with some detail info. Thank you.

P.S. I live in Canada and I am not originally from Canada. So, things are a bit different for me. Last time I drove my dad's car it was Toyota Corolla and I remember I used to change spark plugs every 3 months. Back home (Asia) the labor is really cheap and the parts as well. Thats why I could afford it. Most of the time we didn't get genuine parts. I am telling you this because keep in mind that I am from different culture.

Thank you

Ezish
~I love my 2003 Maxima. My dream car
Old 02-21-2007, 10:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

I guess your car didn't come with one of these.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-...san-Maxima.pdf
Old 02-22-2007, 08:02 AM

I'll try and help you out a bit:

1 - Fuel Filter is a non-maintenance item according to Nissan. ORG consensus is that it should be changed occassionally, probably every 60K miles. And yes, there are benefits to be had with a clean fuel filter.

2 - I change my micro-filter when I start to notice a musty smell through the H&V. Usually about once a year as per Nissan.

3 - Every 60K miles is not a bad idea for the plugs, especially if you drive somewhat hard. Again, there are benefits (fuel mileage, power, smoothness) to be had with new plugs especially if the existing ones are in poor shape.

4 - Replace air filter (if using Nissan OEM) every 15K miles.

5 - I try to do most of my own maintenance. If it's above my capabilities, I'll usually take it to Nissan. However, if you know of a good independent shop, they can probably handle most of what Nissan can and it will be cheaper.

6 - You should DEFINITELY be using your block heater for temps that cold. I live in a very cold climate as well and my rule of thumb is that I'll plug it in if it's going to be sitting for more than 4 hours and the temp is below -10C. I usually try and set my block heater on a timer to kick in about 2-3 hours prior to actually needing to start the car (saves power). Also, letting your car idle for extended periods of time doesn't do it any good and wastes gas. Let it idle for 1 minute or two when it's cold, and drive away.

Again, as with all maintenance items, there are almost always benefits to doing them more frequently. But it's the law of diminishing returns. The cost does not always make sense considering the minimal benefit. You could change your air filter every day for maximum performance, but does that make sense? Typically, follow what's in your manual and all will be well.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I was expecting more replies from other users. please...
Old 02-27-2007, 06:31 AM

1. i wouldnt worry about fuel filter..

2. in cabin filter-You should prob replace it,.. you should be able to do it yourself.. its behind the glove box which comes out with a few screws and a hard pull.. theres a write up on it somewhere on here maybe someone can help you out on that or you could search for it more detailed..

3. alot of people advise that even though nissan says 100k for spark plugs u should change at 50k,.. look on page one or 2 now and there is an old poll about what spark plugs to change to and alot of valuble info,.. also you will have to change an intake gaskit when doing the rear plugs because it needs to be removed on 5.5gens

4. replace the air filter today,.. its a 10 dollar part and a 30 second job,.. if its dirty u might get some better miles per gallon...

5. nissan will charge ALOT for the spark plugs i wouldnt attempt them yourself if you dont know alot about working on cars and ect.,...you can change the air filter and in cabin filter yourself...gl...

6. why wouldnt you plug it in if its -30+ ???
Old 02-27-2007, 09:34 AM

I change my cabin filter about ever 35,000 miles.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:35 AM

Just did my cabin filter on my '01 .... I used this very helpful thread..

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=482883

The photos and descriptions are spot on!