5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What The Hell Is Happening With My Car<<<<

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 10:53 PM

Okay guys, so i was on a parking lot today. I was kind of hyper today too...well i was with my friend and we kind of left the parking lot...i wanted to show off so when i got in, turned on my car, turned the steering wheel allt the way to the right and put it in Drive (yeah it's an automatic, ****)...at that point i just slammed on the gas and the tires just burned...so much smoke i couldn't see...well when i stopped and drove off, i put it on drive and it was going to like 2 and a half thousand RPMs but was accelerating very slowly....so i turned the car off...left it for like a minute off and turned it back on....at that point it was okay...what the **** happpened to it? please tell me it's not the transmission.....
Old 07-06-2001, 11:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Doubt it..

I don't think that it has anything to do with your tranny. So far with my experiences I have noticed that the max can easily get bogged down with excess fuel and that causes it to run like you explained. I am in the process of upgrading my ignition and hopefully a better spark will keep it from doing this.
Old 07-07-2001, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by darek
Okay guys, so i was on a parking lot today. I was kind of hyper today too...well i was with my friend and we kind of left the parking lot...i wanted to show off so when i got in, turned on my car, turned the steering wheel allt the way to the right and put it in Drive (yeah it's an automatic, ****)...at that point i just slammed on the gas and the tires just burned...so much smoke i couldn't see...well when i stopped and drove off, i put it on drive and it was going to like 2 and a half thousand RPMs but was accelerating very slowly....so i turned the car off...left it for like a minute off and turned it back on....at that point it was okay...what the **** happpened to it? please tell me it's not the transmission.....
i think ur car went into safe mode.
Old 07-07-2001, 06:38 AM
Got Bent?

Yeah, it looks like it went into the safe mode. Not too much to worry about. But don't do that too often. You will drop your tranny if you keep doing that

You may want to reset the ECU just in case by leaving battery unplugged for a few hours...
Old 07-07-2001, 08:24 AM

What the hell is Safe mode?
Old 07-07-2001, 08:32 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by darek
What the hell is Safe mode?
when your car thinks there is something wrong that may cause further damage to the engine, the revs are limited as well as your top speed. This is to allow you to get your car to a safe place while minimizing any damage. When you did that massive burn out, it probably triggered something that made the ECU think that something was majorly hosed.
Old 07-07-2001, 09:00 AM
My 4DSC

Re: Doubt it..

Originally posted by nvmymax2
I am in the process of upgrading my ignition and hopefully a better spark will keep it from doing this.
care to expand on that idea?
what exactly do you plan on upgrading?
plugs, wires?
cuz i'm pretty sure nobody makes an ignition upgrade for our cars.

Old 07-07-2001, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
Yeah, it looks like it went into the safe mode. Not too much to worry about. But don't do that too often. You will drop your tranny if you keep doing that

You may want to reset the ECU just in case by leaving battery unplugged for a few hours...
the tranny will mess up from the heat.. correct?
Old 07-07-2001, 01:08 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

the tranny will mess up from the heat.. correct?
heat is the worst thing for an auto tranny....
Old 07-07-2001, 01:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Doubt it..

Originally posted by My 4DSC

care to expand on that idea?
what exactly do you plan on upgrading?
plugs, wires?
cuz i'm pretty sure nobody makes an ignition upgrade for our cars.
My question exactly. What do you plan on upgrading, nvmymax2? Don't be shy. Out with it!
Old 07-07-2001, 02:31 PM

Your cars ECM/TCM is monitoring many aspects of your cars sensors, throttle position sensor, engine temperature, outside barometric pressure and temperature, speed sensor, gear selector position, RPM‘s......... Apparently you cars ECM (brain) observed that the car was in drive, engine RPM’s were 6k + and the vehicle speed sensor was telling the ECM that your ground speed was say ten miles an hour, to the ECM this can’t be happening in a normally operating car and it entered safe mode. I would clear the ECM, and stop beating on you car!
Old 07-07-2001, 05:41 PM

So you're saying you can't do a burnout in this car without it going into safe mode?
Old 07-07-2001, 05:44 PM

safe mode

safe mode= The car thinks you are trying to hurt/abuse it and only gives you limited power. Ha Ha. Be nice to your Max. , it can feel your abuse!
Old 07-07-2001, 07:12 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Ironlord
So you're saying you can't do a burnout in this car without it going into safe mode?
I guess it depends on the severity of the burn out...
Old 07-07-2001, 07:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Doubt it..

Originally posted by y2kse

My question exactly. What do you plan on upgrading, nvmymax2? Don't be shy. Out with it!
Damn. Looks like we scared nvmymax2 off, UMD_MaxSE. Well let's hope he wasn't referring to the HKS Twin Power POS. I hate to see people spend money foolishly.

Guess we'll have to wait a little longer to get our hands on a real ignition upgrade for the Max. Hmmmmm. I wonder what the MSD Stacker Ignition will be like?
Old 07-07-2001, 07:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Doubt it..

Hmm... hold down F8 while starting your car...

-Tom Z.
Old 07-07-2001, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

I guess it depends on the severity of the burn out...
I'm talking full spinning, white smoke pouring, and a big happy grin on my face. And two big black marks on the pavement where tires used to be. Ah, the joy of being young and irresponsible!
Old 07-08-2001, 03:14 AM

I would have thought most folks could read between the lines, figuring out the computer is programed to ignore this fault condition for a fixed amout of time, otherwise we'd be in fault mode or "Check Engine" light hell. If you think my explination wrong, call a priest.
Old 07-08-2001, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Proceedbob

I would have thought most folks could read between the lines, figuring out the computer is programed to ignore this fault condition for a fixed amout of time, otherwise we'd be in fault mode or "Check Engine" light hell. If you think my explination wrong, call a priest.
Whoa, whoa! I'm not saying you're wrong or anything similar, I was simply asking for a clarification. And then I asked again whether we could do a huge smokey burnout or if the safe mode will only let us do a small chirp, or somewhere in between. I'm new to these cars, I'm just trying to increase my knowledge of them. I've got no flames, heat, or even candlelight for you....
Old 07-08-2001, 11:33 AM

Sorry guy, might have read to much into your reply. I was just trying to explain it without going into minute detail. Happy burn outs!
Old 07-08-2001, 11:36 AM

Thanks man, I don't want to make enemies while I'm this new to the board. I was wondering, though, can you tell me like how long we have until safe mode kicks in or to what severity burnout is possible, or anything...
Old 07-08-2001, 01:30 PM
Got Bent?

I was wondering, though, can you tell me like how long we have until safe mode kicks in or to what severity burnout is possible, or anything...

I am guessing it would be pretty hard to quantify. The ECU is montoring so many things and so many factors can come into play. I have spun my tires before and nothing has happened. If it stays that way for a long time, then maybe that would trigger it.
Old 07-08-2001, 02:17 PM

UMD is right, there are hundreds of calculations going on, O2 sensor feed back, fuel trim....est.. If you get a chance ask your dealer to watch the vehicles running parameters on the Nissan Consultant, even better take a ride and you can watch everything running in real time. Just blipping the throttle causes all kinds of mayhem in the emissions feed back loop. (Consultant is Nissans diagnostic computer).