5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Am I ok padding the C Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 05:59 AM

Am I ok padding the C Pillar

As part of sound deadening my 01 gle, I am basically adding local home depot carpet padding to the A,B and C Pillars.
While the A and B were rather easy to do, what I found is there are several electrical connections in the C pillar area for the rear defroster.

Question is: Would it be ok to put the carpet padding over the electrical stuff in the C Pillar area? Does it pose any kind of problems?

Thanks,
~KN
Old 03-08-2007, 06:43 AM

i wouldnt think it cause any problems. the electrical stuff in the c pillar are insulated aren't they? as long as you don't sever the connection (don't see how that will happen with "padding"), i dont believe there is any danger to doing this.

btw, i dont think i ever noticed rattling coming from there anyway..... so.... but my system isn't too loud anyway.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why carpet padding? Because it's foam? Makes sense. Are you just throwing it in there or using some adhesive to stick it to one surface or another? Sorry for the Qs. I've been interested in hushing my car up too.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by AnDyMaN
i wouldnt think it cause any problems. the electrical stuff in the c pillar are insulated aren't they? as long as you don't sever the connection (don't see how that will happen with "padding"), i dont believe there is any danger to doing this.

btw, i dont think i ever noticed rattling coming from there anyway..... so.... but my system isn't too loud anyway.
Theres no rattle from there.

This is just to add more padding in that bare metal area such that more wind noise is absorbed rather than propagated into the cabin.

The only open connection is a ground that is bolted into the body structure.

I think I shud be fine
Old 03-08-2007, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by bigEL
Why carpet padding? Because it's foam? Makes sense. Are you just throwing it in there or using some adhesive to stick it to one surface or another? Sorry for the Qs. I've been interested in hushing my car up too.
no worries, love questions

Last yr we drove from jacksonville, fl to louisville, ky and the wind noise in the maxima was really bad at any speed above 70.

So once I got back there have been a few things I have worked on to make things a little more quiet. I didnt want to spend a tonne of money so I chose this route.
1. I sprayed all the wheel wells with the regular underbody rubberized spray. Only recently i found that i could get it by the gallon and apply it.
2. I popped all the door panels and added the carpet padding to the exsiting padding. Also, sprayed the door interior frame with rubberized spray.
3. Insulated the kick panel area with more carpet padding.
4. Used Air conditioning padding from home depot (open cell foam) and carpet padding to do the A and B pillars. Stuck foam with spray adhesive.
5. Insulated the C pillars with carpet padding.
6. Added a second lining or carpet padding in the trunk, under the factory carpet.

Still required to do, line the roof panel and sunroof area.

cost involved: 6 cans of underbody rubberized spray: 6 X $4
8 sq. yards of carpet padding: 8 X $4
3 cans of 3M spray adhesive: 3X $5

So far I am very happy with the results.

Will be waiting to see how the car feels once the roof is lined
Old 03-08-2007, 12:24 PM

when you properly sound deaden the roof..you will hear 0 rain drops. Most of the wind noise comes from the rear windows, but some does come from the C pillars.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by kukx30de

Question is: Would it be ok to put the carpet padding over the electrical stuff in the C Pillar area? Does it pose any kind of problems?
You could fire test the carpet padding if you are really concerned. Most carpet and carpet padding has a flame retardant added.

Take a piece of carpet padding and try to light it on fire (use a match, candle, cigarette lighter, bernz-o-matic torch, whatever). Of course, don't do this in your living room - do it out it outside in the driveway, away from the cars.

Happy incinerating!