5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Jack Collapse......Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:37 AM

Jack Collapse......Any Ideas?

About 3 months ago MY jack collapsed (not OEM) while I was pullin the tire off.....(I was about to change the brakes/rotors).........

Luckily, i was not under the car at the time....and fortunately, I seen the jack start to go.....

I just happened to have a spare tire (not mounted on rim) very near and somehow managed to slide the lip of the tire under the rotor, before it hit the ground too hard....

However,

Ever since then, my steering has been all over the place.....i constantly go back and forth to the left and right, even though i've had the alignment done twice...(New tires still wearing good).....

Im startin to think I could've damaged the rack-n-pinion in someway, or possibly have a blown and/or worn strut....or even spring....(Spring sometimes "pops")

Another problem Im havin (constant & very annoying) is that the steering wheel "sits" about 30-45 degrees to the left, yet the car pulls hard to the right! (and like I said, I've had the alignment done twice, so thats not it)

I've been putting a little more air pressure on the right side, to kind of balance it out....and so far thats kept me content, over the last few months.....but, on Friday, Im gettin new Struts/shocks (KYB GR-2's) and new Springs (Vogtland's), and I honestly DONT think they will resolve the problem.......(and Im really tired of dealin' with it)

Side Note: My axle & ball joints all look good, so i dont think thats it either....and Im replacing the strut mounts with new ones, when I install the KYB's....

Does anyone have any ideas, cause Im kind of at a loss on what direction to take?

Ty all for your time!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thats why you ALWAYS use stands...

After you get the alignment is it good, then goes bad again... Or does stay the same?

Both alignments done at the same place, possible same tech?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by MaximumPower01

About 3 months ago MY jack collapsed (not OEM) while I was pullin the tire off.....(I was about to change the brakes/rotors).........

Luckily, i was not under the car at the time....and fortunately, I seen the jack start to go.....

I just happened to have a spare tire (not mounted on rim) very near and somehow managed to slide the lip of the tire under the rotor, before it hit the ground too hard....

However,

Ever since then, my steering has been all over the place.....i constantly go back and forth to the left and right, even though i've had the alignment done twice...(New tires still wearing good).....

Im startin to think I could've damaged the rack-n-pinion in someway, or possibly have a blown and/or worn strut....or even spring....(Spring sometimes "pops")

Another problem Im havin (constant & very annoying) is that the steering wheel "sits" about 30-45 degrees to the left, yet the car pulls hard to the right! (and like I said, I've had the alignment done twice, so thats not it)

I've been putting a little more air pressure on the right side, to kind of balance it out....and so far thats kept me content, over the last few months.....but, on Friday, Im gettin new Struts/shocks (KYB GR-2's) and new Springs (Vogtland's), and I honestly DONT think they will resolve the problem.......(and Im really tired of dealin' with it)

Side Note: My axle & ball joints all look good, so i dont think thats it either....and Im replacing the strut mounts with new ones, when I install the KYB's....

Does anyone have any ideas, cause Im kind of at a loss on what direction to take?

Ty all for your time!

sounds like one of the arms are bent
Old 03-08-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Thats why you ALWAYS use stands...

Needless to say, I learned my lesson and bought a set right after.....never again!

lol

After you get the alignment is it good, then goes bad again... Or does stay the same?

Both alignments done at the same place, possible same tech?

Honestly upstate, the alignment hasnt changed from the first time I brought it in....and the tires (which I purchased new 6 months ago), are wearing very smooth and even...

Someone mentioned to me, a camber adjustment kit, but I've looked around and havent found any for the 5th gen Max..

Know where I could get a good, quality camber kit?.....cause im willing to try anything at this point....

Oh yeah....and it was done by the same shop, same mechanic
Old 03-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would try a new shop, because if it is as bad as you say it is... They should know something is wrong.

I really don't think it has anything to do with camber... You would notice if it was that bad. Top of the wheel would be noticably sticking into the wheel well and you would notice uneven tire wear.

Bring it to another shop and tell them what is going on and see if they have different news.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 AM

I would try a new shop, because if it is as bad as you say it is... They should know something is wrong.

I really don't think it has anything to do with camber... You would notice if it was that bad. Top of the wheel would be noticably sticking into the wheel well and you would notice uneven tire wear.

Bring it to another shop and tell them what is going on and see if they have different news.

Been to Tires Discounters already, and they didnt have a clue either....in fact, they suggested I go to the dealership....in which, I KNOW they dont have a clue...lol

Like the guy above said, I might have bent one of my control arms and my mechanic just overlooked it (not your everyday occurence).... b/c in all honestly, the guy is d*mn good & he's never overcharged me for anything...

In fact, since my jack broke, he finished my brake/rotor job for $40 bucks (all 4, front & back), just cause he knew I was s-o-l...

I've bought him lunch a few times since then, so i KNOW he takes care of me.....(plus his shop crushes the competition around here, cause everyone knows he does good, honest work)
Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 AM

>

When I get my struts/springs put on tomorrow, I 'll take a few pics underneath, to compare the control arms......

I'll post them up here & see what we can come up with....

Other than that though, Im still at a loss as to what is causing this...

Any other ideas out there?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned

Bent control arm, bent A-arm, bent strut, bad alignment (wheel SHOULD be straight), bent frame (not likely from the small fall you had). You may also want to get under it and check the mounting points for the A-arm and the strut. Be sure to check both sides, front and back.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:29 PM

Wandering is typically a result of either worn suspension components, too much toe out or a bent/cracked frame.

Find another alignment shop! Any tech worth his meager pay would have test driven the car and immediately noticed that the steering wheel was not centered. There is absolutely NO excuse for this. This is shody work!

You're just covering up the problem by changing the air pressure and this will ultimately lead to ruining your tires.

Yes, find a reliable shop that will do a 4-wheel alignment and _guarantee_ it.
If you don't know of a good shop, track down the local SCCA group and ask either a Solo or Showroom Stock driver who does their alignments - go there.

You don't want a 2-wheel or front wheel alignment. This is a waste of money, plain and simple. You don't want a thrust alignment either. This just covers up other problems. You want a genuine 4-wheel alignment. The alignment shop should (easily) be able to provide you with before and after print out of your alignment along with the factory specs. The alignment shop should inspect all of your suspension components (ball joints, tie rods ends, shocks/struts, control arms, bushings, etc, etc.) and tires to make sure that they are all in good working condition. If any one of these is worn, then an alignment is pointless untill the worn part(s) are replaced.

If all of your suspension components and tires are in good working condition AND your have a 4-wheel alignment that is within factory specifications and still have the problem, then you need to seek out a competent, qualified, frame shop and have them insepct the chassis for cracks and/or for being bent. A chassis that is bent can "crab" down the road causing wandering - constant course correction. You may have seen cars driving down the road where the back end of the car is constantly trying to step out to one side - making the car drive down the road a bit sideways - "crabbing". A thrust alignment can cover this up, but ultimately doesn't fix the problem, as tire wear will continue. A cracked frame will allow the car to flex at will causing the chassis to go (temporarily) out of alignment, thus causing the wandering.

Happy hunting.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by GBAUER
Bent control arm, bent A-arm, bent strut, bad alignment (wheel SHOULD be straight), bent frame (not likely from the small fall you had). You may also want to get under it and check the mounting points for the A-arm and the strut. Be sure to check both sides, front and back.

Very good info, tyvm....

I'll be checkin this all out tomorrow, when I have it on the lift....

Also, i'll post some before-n-after pics of the new struts/springs....

Thx for all the help!

Old 03-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Brakes okay?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:01 PM

Could be a number of things, bent tierod comes to mind. Can you see a point of impact under the car?