5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

DTC P0135....Can't get this O2 sensor out!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 12:43 PM

DTC P0135....Can't get this O2 sensor out!!

Well, it's been about two weeks since I reset this code and now it finally came back again. So, now, I know for a fact that this sensor (front, bank 1) is bad. Well, anyway, today I tried to remove it and stupid Nissan puts it in a tight spot where it's hard to access. I removed the passenger front wheel for better access, and I can't seem to get leverage on the socket wrench for me to turn to get it loose (part of the frame and suspension components are in the way). I tried a long socket extensions, but no avail! Anybody who has replaced this sensor, how did you do it? Should I grip the sensor from underneath (90 degrees to the ground), or should I try like I have been and hit it straight on with extensions? Please help... I like to get it done this weekend while the weather is nice for a change.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:13 PM

Use a crescent wrench. If there is still no space, take out the radiator fans. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:29 PM
I Know Kwaliti

In some cases, I would cut the wires and put on a 22mm O-wrench on it and crank it that way. I have long arms so can easily reach from behind the wheel...
Old 03-09-2007, 07:22 PM

Also, take the heat shield off (3 10mm bolts) for more room. Unplug the o2 sensor from the harness and thread it through the crescent wrench. It should work with no problems.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I always do o2 sensors hot, they come out much easier allthough you risk burning your hands on the exhaust.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2nd on the crescent wrench. I just replaced the same sensor. Your under the car rightt? Not trying to do it blind?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:22 AM

Just wondering, are we talking about the same sensor? This is the O2 sensor underneath the car to the rear of the pre-cat. If you look under the car near the passenger side front wheel, you can see it. I have an O2 socket wrench tool, but I'm not sure where you guys have enough room for accessing and working with a crescent wrench. Plus, how do you have enough torque in removing it to break it loose? It just doesn't seem like you have a lot of room to work with. It seems like a socket MUST be used.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Cletus

spray it down with liquid wrench...the threads are rusted on. its gonna take some effort to break it loose
Old 03-10-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
spray it down with liquid wrench...the threads are rusted on. its gonna take some effort to break it loose
Thanks...yeah I did that. It was just the fact that I was having trouble in getting in the right position in getting a grip on the sensor in getting it loose from not having enough room, with the fender frame in the way, along with the suspension components.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 AM

*Update*:

Finally, I got it loose. I went out to Sears and bought a 20" socket extension bar (the longest I had was only a 10"). With the help of putting a universal joint socket on the O2 socket tool, I had enough room now where I could turn the wrench outside past the fender (inner wheel well). The only thing, though, the old sensor wiring harness has a clip near the top of the engine bay, where it's impossible to remove. You can't even stick you hand down there! Nissan just makes it impossible for us to remove and install parts in our cars within these tight areas where we can't access to! Anyway, I just ended up cutting the old sensor wiring near the O2 sensor end and left the old wiring in tact. I then re-routed the new wiring, keeping it away from the exhaust parts. Lastly, I cleared the code, and hopefully everything's good now. Thanks for everyone's input on this.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
*Update*:

Finally, I got it loose. I went out to Sears and bought a 20" socket extension bar (the longest I had was only a 10"). With the help of putting a universal joint socket on the O2 socket tool, I had enough room now where I could turn the wrench outside past the fender (inner wheel well). The only thing, though, the old sensor wiring harness has a clip near the top of the engine bay, where it's impossible to remove. You can't even stick you hand down there! Nissan just makes it impossible for us to remove and install parts in our cars within these tight areas where we can't access to! Anyway, I just ended up cutting the old sensor wiring near the O2 sensor end and left the old wiring in tact. I then re-routed the new wiring, keeping it away from the exhaust parts. Lastly, I cleared the code, and hopefully everything's good now. Thanks for everyone's input on this.

That's good. With the o2 sensor plug, you could have bent the entire plug down towards the front of the vehicle, and used a flat head to press the 2 buttons in to remove it from the gold bracket.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
That's good. With the o2 sensor plug, you could have bent the entire plug down towards the front of the vehicle, and used a flat head to press the 2 buttons in to remove it from the gold bracket.
Thanks, but that's not the clip I was talking about. There's two small clips that run on the wiring. One in the middle, and one towards the end. The one in the middle is clipped down deep inside the enging bay. There's no way you can unclip it. The whole purpose of these clips is just to route the wires away from the heat components. No big deal, I just went a different route with the new wiring and left the old wiring in place. There's nothing connected to the old wiring, so it's just going to stay there.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
Thanks, but that's not the clip I was talking about. There's two small clips that run on the wiring. One in the middle, and one towards the end. The one in the middle is clipped down deep inside the enging bay. There's no way you can unclip it. The whole purpose of these clips is just to route the wires away from the heat components. No big deal, I just went a different route with the new wiring and left the old wiring in place. There's nothing connected to the old wiring, so it's just going to stay there.
Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about. I used a cutter/plier to cut the plastic that wraps around the heat sleeve. Hopefully this thread can help whoever needs to remove their o2 sensors.

Similar to the thing I used: