5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Shifting problem after accident. HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Shifting problem after accident. HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!!

About a month ago, I was involved in a front end collosion. There was major body (bumper, fenders, hood) damage but concerning the engine or transaxle, neither was damaged. Only part on the engine that had to be replaced was front valve cover because it was cracked. The airbags were deployed during the accident.

Today, the shop finished up all the body work. Only thing left to do is replacing the airbags along with the seatbelts and the airbag module(s). The problem that has risen is with the shift mechanism. The car will turn on and no noise of any kind can be heard. But when I press the brake in order to move from Park to Reverse, it will not shift. It will only move if the Shift Lock is released with a key or screwdriver. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the key won't move to Lock position and will not come out but it will move the other direction and the car can be turned on.

We looked at all the relays and fuses and everything is fine. I don't know whatelse to look at. Anyoen ever have this problem before? Can anyone guide me to a direction?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:26 PM
A swift Bimmer driver

Originally Posted by JiggaD369
About a month ago, I was involved in a front end collosion. There was major body (bumper, fenders, hood) damage but concerning the engine or transaxle, neither was damaged. Only part on the engine that had to be replaced was front valve cover because it was cracked. The airbags were deployed during the accident.

Today, the shop finished up all the body work. Only thing left to do is replacing the airbags along with the seatbelts and the airbag module(s). The problem that has risen is with the shift mechanism. The car will turn on and no noise of any kind can be heard. But when I press the brake in order to move from Park to Reverse, it will not shift. It will only move if the Shift Lock is released with a key or screwdriver. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the key won't move to Lock position and will not come out but it will move the other direction and the car can be turned on.

We looked at all the relays and fuses and everything is fine. I don't know whatelse to look at. Anyoen ever have this problem before? Can anyone guide me to a direction?
Hey man
This happened to me when the fuse for the Radio and some other accessories was blown... so check it again.. pull it off and take a close look at it...
Old 03-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Would you know what fuse it is (what is it called)?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:09 PM

just do a 6 speed conversion =)
Old 03-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If it cracked one of your valve covers your engine was hit... Could have shifted tons of stuff...
Old 03-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wouldn't say the engine was hit at all. It was more like the edge of the radiator support was pushed into the valve cover. And the valve cover being plastic, it looked as if it was easily cracked. When I took the old valve cover off for a replacement, I could see it was made out of very thin plastic. The engine is in full working conditon (turns on and off fine, no noise what so ever, no rattling inside, etc).

As for the impact of the collsion, it was mainly on top because a SUS was involved. The bumper reinfocement wasn't even touched. It was just the radiator support which was bent in.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:11 PM

I wouldn't say the engine was hit at all. It was more like the edge of the radiator support was pushed into the valve cover. And the valve cover being plastic, it looked as if it was easily cracked. When I took the old valve cover off for a replacement, I could see it was made out of very thin plastic. The engine is in full working conditon (turns on and off fine, no noise what so ever, no rattling inside, etc).

Soo you are saying the engine cover was cracked... Thats different.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:38 AM
A swift Bimmer driver

Would you know what fuse it is (what is it called)?
Check the Radio fuse in the fuse box next to the battery...
Old 03-21-2007, 06:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the key won't move to Lock position and will not come out but it will move the other direction and the car can be turned on.
I would say that's your problem. The key lock system is connected to the shift lock control unit.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How would I go about fixing that?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 PM

When you press the brake pedal to shift out of park, the brake pedal depresses a switch that allows you to move the gear selector. The accident or the repairs may have caused the switch to get out of adjustment. If the switch is out of adjustment and not pressed when you push the brake pedal, you won't be able to shift out of park.

Get down in the footwell and look at the switch, located by the brake pedal. Make sure the pedal pushes the switch when the brake pedal is depressed.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Soo you are saying the engine cover was cracked... Thats different.
no..he was saying the valve cover was cracked. VQ35 VC's are plastic.

Originally Posted by Maxfli
When you press the brake pedal to shift out of park, the brake pedal depresses a switch that allows you to move the gear selector. The accident or the repairs may have caused the switch to get out of adjustment. If the switch is out of adjustment and not pressed when you push the brake pedal, you won't be able to shift out of park.

Get down in the footwell and look at the switch, located by the brake pedal. Make sure the pedal pushes the switch when the brake pedal is depressed.
was just going to suggest that.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxfli
When you press the brake pedal to shift out of park, the brake pedal depresses a switch that allows you to move the gear selector.
The 2002 Maxima uses the stop-lamp switch on the brake pedal for the shift lock control. If the stop lamps are working, it's probably not that.

How would I go about fixing that?
If you had no problem with the ignition key lock before the accident, it should be part of the repair. Even if you did, don't tell them and get it fixed through insurance. Otherwise, as much as I hate to say it, but it might be a dealership trip to get it fixed.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 AM

If you just got the car "fixed" by a shop why wouldn't you just take it back to them and say this wasn't happening before the work you did? I know it's cool to say I fixed my own car but fellas sometimes you have to let the trained professionals look at these beasts every now and then.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 AM