5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein S-Tech and H-Techs for super cheap

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:48 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Cutler
I am glad you take my joking the way it's intended . The miata can outhandle a Maxima anyday but the problem with the miata is it has no power, unless it has some help
yeah, but you need to have some driving skillz to, yo!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:43 PM

i just ordered the s-techs in hopes of a close to stock ride with a nice stance but from what i'm hearin i'm in for a suprise. do they really ride that bad? i dont really do much agressive driving so did i make a mistake?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:15 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by JDMGLE
i just ordered the s-techs in hopes of a close to stock ride with a nice stance but from what i'm hearin i'm in for a suprise. do they really ride that bad? i dont really do much agressive driving so did i make a mistake?
although I've never used them, everything I've ever heard says that the s-techs are a very harsh ride, because they have very limited travel and are extremely stiff. In addition, they cause bump steer because they are too low and screw up lower control arm angles.

I would try to cancel the order if possible, or return them and eat the restocking charge. I can tell you that the ride will be nowhere near stock....especially stock GLE springs!
I
Old 03-29-2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
although I've never used them, everything I've ever heard says that the s-techs are a very harsh ride, because they have very limited travel and are extremely stiff. In addition, they cause bump steer because they are too low and screw up lower control arm angles.

I would try to cancel the order if possible, or return them and eat the restocking charge. I can tell you that the ride will be nowhere near stock....especially stock GLE springs!
I
damn it, thx for the info man. i'll see what i can do.

what springs would you suggest for what i'm lookin for? which is a nice low (but not draggin) stance with a little more aggresive handling but some what close to stock.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:01 AM

Eibach for you JDM is my opinion
Old 03-30-2007, 07:46 AM
retired moderator

damn it, thx for the info man. i'll see what i can do.

what springs would you suggest for what i'm lookin for? which is a nice low (but not draggin) stance with a little more aggresive handling but some what close to stock.
if looks is what you're going for and don't care about perforance, the H-techs have a decent ride quality and a nice "look"

I personally think Eibachs are the best. the drop isn't quite as low, but the handling is top-notch. See sig pics.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:22 AM

Question bout drop

I recently dropped my 01 MAX AE on H-techs and illuminas. My springs are now binding in the front? Any recommendations on upper towers and strut mates? thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by lake3031
I recently dropped my 01 MAX AE on H-techs and illuminas. My springs are now binding in the front? Any recommendations on upper towers and strut mates? thanks
I recommend that you only post this question in one place...
Old 03-30-2007, 09:06 AM

sorry. just needed some advice

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
I recommend that you only post this question in one place...
sorry. just needed some advice
Old 03-30-2007, 05:21 PM

sweet, thanks for the heads-up
Old 03-30-2007, 05:59 PM

if looks is what you're going for and don't care about perforance, the H-techs have a decent ride quality and a nice "look"

I personally think Eibachs are the best. the drop isn't quite as low, but the handling is top-notch. See sig pics.
which eibach's? pro-kit or sportline? thx for all the help guys! i had the pro kit on one of my old cars and loved the way it rode! best ride of any car i've lowered i just wish they had just a little more drop.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:39 PM
retired moderator

which eibach's? pro-kit or sportline? thx for all the help guys! i had the pro kit on one of my old cars and loved the way it rode! best ride of any car i've lowered i just wish they had just a little more drop.
pro kit. i don't think they make sportline for the 5th gen maxima (or any maximas that I know of)...
Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 PM

alright thx man. you also mentioned "bump steer" what do you mean by that? do you mean that when i hit a bump the steering wheel will jerk on me?
Old 03-31-2007, 09:09 AM
schemes on chicks in his max.

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
H-techs did have a slight tendency to have some lean in the front when driven hard. They are just slightly softer than they should be, given their length of drop.

IMO, they were about the same as stock as far as handling, but the look was improved, and I never bottomed them out in daily driving. I never really drove them aggressively (auto-X), so a track or 10/10ths evaluation would have to come from someone like Josh, who DID run them hard.

Whereas my 4th gen H-techs were pretty much the perfectly balanced all-around spring, the 5th gen was not the be-all end-all that I was looking for.
Yea those that said the H-Techs were garbage can go somewhere with that. I personally think that the drop with the H-techs is phenomenal (pics will be posted soon) and the handling is a huge improvement over the stock springs AND the S-techs. My cousin has S-techs on his 2k3 and with both me and him in the car on the highway, i can barely hold a cup of coffee because the ride is so harsh and bouncy. H-techs are excellent springs. Pics coming in a few minutes
Old 03-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Sports Button FTW

pssst, you call that cheap? How bout you look around the org for a great price, if I told you how much I got mine from, you would sh*t your draws, and mine are in excellent condition. Thanks hct67
Old 03-31-2007, 02:20 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MaximaInCT203
Yea those that said the H-Techs were garbage can go somewhere with that. I personally think that the drop with the H-techs is phenomenal (pics will be posted soon) and the handling is a huge improvement over the stock springs AND the S-techs. My cousin has S-techs on his 2k3 and with both me and him in the car on the highway, i can barely hold a cup of coffee because the ride is so harsh and bouncy. H-techs are excellent springs. Pics coming in a few minutes
rephrase: h-techs are garbage for people who drive like men. They work fine for grammas and chicks though

Old 03-31-2007, 02:22 PM
retired moderator

alright thx man. you also mentioned "bump steer" what do you mean by that? do you mean that when i hit a bump the steering wheel will jerk on me?
read:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/longtech3.htm
Old 03-31-2007, 03:15 PM
It's business time.

rephrase: h-techs are garbage for people who drive like men. They work fine for grammas and chicks though

Yeah, you better hide. I drive my car spiritedly pretty often. Although I've never auto-crossed (I may in the future), the H-techs meet my needs incredibly well. Like I said, I can't compare them to other after market springs like you can and I don't have the experience and vocab as you but at the same time it sort of irks me when you say they're garbage. I think the only thing garbage that should enter this realm of conversation is the over sprung, under dampened stock suspension. That's a POS.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You better bite your tongue. Why don't you ask everyone who I passed up at MSR during maxus how well my car handles? There's room for improvement, but these springs are fine for spirited driving, which I do VERY often...
Old 03-31-2007, 03:46 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Progress
Yeah, you better hide. I drive my car spiritedly pretty often. Although I've never auto-crossed (I may in the future), the H-techs meet my needs incredibly well. Like I said, I can't compare them to other after market springs like you can and I don't have the experience and vocab as you but at the same time it sort of irks me when you say they're garbage. I think the only thing garbage that should enter this realm of conversation is the over sprung, under dampened stock suspension. That's a POS.
....and s-techs

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
You better bite your tongue. Why don't you ask everyone who I passed up at MSR during maxus how well my car handles? There's room for improvement, but these springs are fine for spirited driving, which I do VERY often...
you guys are hilarious. So serious and you don't even realize that I'm just messing with you at this point just to get an argument going!

Kind of like the way I always make fun of Miatas when Cutler is in a thread.

When it comes down to it, we've already had the discussion on the h-techs when I took them off my car. Just like every mod, it's gonna be subjective. I personally felt that they had the best looking drop out there (which is why I got them) but thought they were undersprung and made the handling of the car sloppy compared to Maxspeeds or Eibachs. The ride was probably the best out there with the exception that my rear ones bottomed out all the time, even with cut bumpstops.

but you already know all this....which is why I'm just trying to get a rise out of you guys.

Change of subject:

VQ35 SUCKS!
Old 03-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you guys are hilarious. So serious and you don't even realize that I'm just messing with you at this point just to get an argument going!

Kind of like the way I always make fun of Miatas when Cutler is in a thread.

When it comes down to it, we've already had the discussion on the h-techs when I took them off my car. Just like every mod, it's gonna be subjective. I personally felt that they had the best looking drop out there (which is why I got them) but thought they were undersprung and made the handling of the car sloppy compared to Maxspeeds or Eibachs. The ride was probably the best out there with the exception that my rear ones bottomed out all the time, even with cut bumpstops.

but you already know all this....which is why I'm just trying to get a rise out of you guys.

Change of subject:

VQ35 SUCKS!
Then next time say it in a manner in which other people will know what you mean. Most people on this site take what you say as 100% truth and when you exaggerate like that they're liable to believe your word over others.

I personally have never bottomed out and in fact, just today I made a 100 mile drive with >300 lbs. in my trunk and drove over some horrible roads with no bottoming out and tomorrow I'll be making a 600 mile trip to Dallas with the same load as I've done several times with no trouble.

The front springs are a little softer than I would like, but unlike what you have been spreading, they're much better than stock. As I've said thousands of times on this site, just because something better is available doesn't mean everything else is crap.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:48 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Then next time say it in a manner in which other people will know what you mean. Most people on this site take what you say as 100% truth and when you exaggerate like that they're liable to believe your word over others.

see my post #46. Those are my "real" feelings on this issue. the "chicks" post was faceteous, hence the smiley used......

I personally would not recommend the H-techs to anyone - sorry if you disagree, but that is MY firsthand opinion, and I'm entitled to it. I did not think that they were good springs at all. "garbage" is probably a strong word, true, but I consider the H-techs to be money NOT well spent (again, in my opinion), which is why I took those springs off my car in a very short time, and ate a chunk of the money I paid for them.....

Now, you are entitled to post your experiences as well and hopefully the fact that you also are a productive and respected member here will give your opinion as much weight as mine may or may not have. Hopefully even idiots on here will realize that spring discussions are subjective and can take each opinion with a grain of salt. If you find me some people that will believe me 100%....let me know. I have bridge in brooklyn I'd like to sell them too.

In any case, you know I tell it like I see it, and alot of people disagree with me about alot of things. Doesn't make me right or wrong - since there is no such thing as right and wrong when it comes to subjective matters (like how good a spring is).

As has been stated in these discussions, and possibly in this thread, I didn't have the h-techs back-to-back with the stockers....so my impressions vis-a-vis are probably skewed. But contrary to what some have said, there are spring/suspension setups that are WORSE than stock as well (like s-techs, for example)......

When it comes down to it though, you don't work for Tein, and I don't work for Eibach, so there's no reason to get defensive about my opinions. If all these n00bs all stay away from h-techs because of what I say...what does it matter to you? If you like yours, that's all that should matter. Who cares what other people are running....

ok, it's time to go get my drink on. No hard feelings here I hope. I'm sure this is neither the first nor last time we'll have this discussion (on whatever topic), and the fact that I am cutting into valuable drinking time to write this long @ss response should speak to the fact that I also respect your opinions (though I disagree in this case...)

J
Old 03-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Cletus

H-techs are garbage and for chick drivers
Old 04-01-2007, 06:30 AM

Ok i found the posts made by some users hilarious in regards to the H-Techs. In my opinion and being that i am a pretty agressive driver, and that i have both an 06 and an 02 max, they both handle and ride similar with the blues/h-techs setup on the 02. But in any case, im gonna post just a few pics of how the drop came out.

If you need some pics with the tape measurer out, i can do that for yall, no biggie. But the Drop is as follows:
Front=26"
Back= 26 1/4"

Oh and sig pic is Pre-drop
Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Cletus

MaximaInCT203,
With those wheels on your car, your opinion became void.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:20 AM

say what? Those are 18" wheels. Explain what you tryna say
Old 04-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by MaximaInCT203
say what? Those are 18" wheels. Explain what you tryna say
i have mirrors that arent that shiny and reflective
Old 04-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Turbo'd Saab

my old saturn which is still running burns 3 quarts in a week 450,000 miles hahahahha
Old 04-01-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i have mirrors that arent that shiny and reflective
And your point being? damn, cant even have chrome wheels on Maximas anymore!!