5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007 | 11:18 AM

Happend to me the other day,, I normally get 25-30 mph, went and filled up, went to work and back, 58 miles and on the way home I noticed I was down to 3/4 tank, thought maybe I had a leak or didn't fill it all the way up, re-filled it thursday night, drove back and forth to work was still on full dont know what was going on..
Old 02-02-2007 | 12:57 PM
dmpesso

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Did he tell you he did, or did he actually DO it?
no he actually did it my familys being using him for years hes an honest guy.
Old 02-02-2007 | 12:58 PM
dmpesso

Originally Posted by JohnWEngle
How many miles? Clogged catalytic converter/exhaust? Dragging brake rotor? Excess weight (like storing your golf clubs in the trunk)? Engine temperature is normal (proper coolant level)?

Proper engine oil level? I ran into this on my gle, make _SURE_ you're not low on oil. My mileage started going off, and I discovered that the engine was down over 2 quarts....very scary as I'd only owned the car for 3K miles...filled up the engine oil and mileage returned. Moral of the story, check your oil often - like every 1K!!!

Oh and you need to sacrifice a Honda every now and then to appease the Nissan God's...
Well im gonna change my oil this weekend so ill let everyone know how it works out.
Old 02-02-2007 | 12:59 PM
dmpesso

and by the way any reccomendations on wat oil to use?
Old 02-02-2007 | 12:59 PM
dmpesso

How many miles? Clogged catalytic converter/exhaust? Dragging brake rotor? Excess weight (like storing your golf clubs in the trunk)? Engine temperature is normal (proper coolant level)?

Proper engine oil level? I ran into this on my gle, make _SURE_ you're not low on oil. My mileage started going off, and I discovered that the engine was down over 2 quarts....very scary as I'd only owned the car for 3K miles...filled up the engine oil and mileage returned. Moral of the story, check your oil often - like every 1K!!!

Oh and you need to sacrifice a Honda every now and then to appease the Nissan God's...
my engine temp is always a little below the middle it never passes the middle line
Old 02-02-2007 | 01:01 PM
dmpesso

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
I was getting 17mpg and when I changed the spark plugs, it was 19mpg. Its currently 18.7 b/c I have been having fun lately while driving =P. Plus, I have a 6 speed and manual transmissions are known to be more fuel efficient compared to automatics.

Try changing your spark plugs if you have not already done so. You will be surprised at the jump in mpg
no i havent changed them but arent they supposed to go past 100k and my mechanic said they look good
Old 02-02-2007 | 01:54 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by dmpesso
my engine temp is always a little below the middle it never passes the middle line
Answer the rest of the questions.
Clogged catalytic converter/exhaust? Dragging brake rotor?
Old 02-03-2007 | 08:04 AM

my car 02se, is used to 91 octane. I put in a tank of 94 and it ruined my gas milage. I don't know how to convert but i usually get about 10L/100km and it went up to 15L/100km with the 94.
Old 02-03-2007 | 07:49 PM
dmpesso

Originally Posted by kenshi
I used to live in Brooklyn so I know the kind of driving you have to do there. In any case, the weather's gotten colder, if you're warming up the car before driving, that will drop your mpg more than you know especially because the engine runs rich when it's cold, if you're running the defroster, that will kick on the a/c compressor, so there's many factors that could be the issue rather than something really being wrong with the car.
i dont really warm the car up and once n while i use the defroster, w/o ne thing running the best mileage ill get is abuot 15 mpg
Old 02-03-2007 | 07:51 PM
dmpesso

the first thing no, but how would i know if the brake rotor is dragging?
Old 02-03-2007 | 07:52 PM
dmpesso

wats a catalyic converter and how wud i kno if its clogged
Old 02-03-2007 | 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It might bad gas I use either bp or chevron. I used Hess once and my tank was empty before I knew it. It might be the weather Its cold here in FL and I'm paying for it.
Old 02-03-2007 | 09:34 PM
$4DsC$

wow.....idk what to say....
Old 02-04-2007 | 08:02 AM

you know i have the same problem except mine is a 2001 max with the smaller engine.. when i fill it up i only get like about 215 miles maximum before my gas light comes on, which equates to about 16 miles to the gallon which is pretty damn low.. i drive it kinda hard, but not that darn hard.. i just changed my spark plugs.. use 93 octane.. my check engine light comes on sometimes, but goes away sometimes as well.. and the mileage is consistently low even when the SES light is off.. the code is P0160, which is an O2 sensor.. would that be the problem even if the light isn't constantly on?
Old 02-04-2007 | 09:52 AM

Man, I wish I would have checked out my gas milage on my 4th gen when I first got it. I would redline at every light it seemed.
Old 02-04-2007 | 01:50 PM
dmpesso

Originally Posted by cobra21
wow.....idk what to say....
im a ****in noob i dont kno wat that is, and yea jus got my headlights stolen yesterday to top everything off, is there ANY way to prevent that?
Old 02-05-2007 | 04:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

im a ****in noob i dont kno wat that is, and yea jus got my headlights stolen yesterday to top everything off, is there ANY way to prevent that?
Nissan has an "anti-theft" kit for that problem. Around $200 bucks I think.
Old 02-05-2007 | 05:37 AM

the first thing no, but how would i know if the brake rotor is dragging?
Jack the car up, put it in neutral, and spin each wheel by hand. Each wheel should spin freely. If a rotor is dragging, then 1) you won't be able to spin the wheel at all, OR, 2) you'll be able to turn the wheel, but only by applying force, OR 3) you'll be able to spin it, but it will stop spinning quickly. The fronts will be "heavier" - they have driveline attached - and won't spin as freely as the rears do.
Old 02-05-2007 | 05:47 AM

The catalytic converter is part of the exhaust system. Its primary function is for emissions.

http://www.autoeducation.com/autoshop101/exhaust.htm
http://www.aicautosite.com/garage/encyclop/ency03b.asp

You may also have one or more O2 sensors going bad - they do wear out over time. This can cause an over rich condition, which will not only lower your fuel economy, but eventually will clog up your catalytic converter.
Old 02-06-2007 | 04:57 AM

and by the way any reccomendations on wat oil to use?
This pretty much nails it....
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=227996
Old 02-15-2007 | 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jokerk01
same here i get about the same maybe 180 to the tank in the city (Brooklyn/ Queens) and long Island

Same sob story for me.
Old 02-15-2007 | 08:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

dude you have a lead foot is all. Whether you think so or not, even when you step on the gas half way, if the car kicks up even 1 gear thats when your gas mileage goes down. I know it sucks but you have to drive according to maxima's erratic transmission. Only step on gas enough to before you feel gear kicking up! Geez...... kids.
Old 02-16-2007 | 09:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I dont know what seems to be the problem but I have the 02 GLE max and i clocked the mileage with the trip meter MANY times and the most mpg i end up getting is 15 and i usually get about 240-250 miles per tank. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS. Ive had it looked at my mechanic, compression, he used those machines(excuse me im a noob) checked for leaks, signs of tuneup, plugs, like WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON!!! lol please help any feedback wud be GREATLY appreciated
Buy a Toyota Prius.
Old 02-16-2007 | 06:08 PM

:QUOTE Also, I was told (atleast here in Ohio), that the change-over from "summer" gas to "winter gas" is about a 20-30 mile difference (winter gas -20-30 MPG loss), as the chemical compounds that are used are different from that of which are used, during the summer.....:QUOTE:

Who the hell told you that? ? if that were true the stock price of heat would be sky hi right now cause everyone would be bying that crap.the reason everyone in a cold weather state has suddenly noticed a drop in mpg is because of the time of year. colder air is dramaticly denser, intercooled turbo ring a bell? colder denser air meens more fuel is used to maintane the correct a/f mixture. simple as that.
Old 02-17-2007 | 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by kdaullary
Who the hell told you that? ? if that were true the stock price of heat would be sky hi right now cause everyone would be bying that crap.
What does gasoline formulation have to do with heating oil or natural gas for heating?

The fact is that there is a a "winter" formulation of gasoline in many areas, especially places with chronic air pollution. The gasoline is "oxygenated," which means there's less hydrocarbons per a given amount than pure gasoline, resulting in less power and less mpg.
Old 02-17-2007 | 09:39 AM

Oxygenates are fuel additives (alcohols and ethers) (by the way that is what is in heat) that contain oxygen which can boost gasoline's octane quality, enhance combustion, and reduce exhaust emissions.
i suggest you go here

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...a/oxygen.shtml

and tell me that 2% - 3% is going to cut his gas milage by 6 to 7 mpg. i think not. question number 4 is most relavent. I live in iowa where ethynal is sold all the time at every pump ethynal is an oxygentated gasoline, and i still get better than 15mpg in warm months.
Old 02-17-2007 | 11:30 AM

Hes from brooklyn. DUHHHHH.
Every other block there is a red light to stand on.
Every highway is cloged with cars. I get the same **** with my car and everything was tested. Get over it
Old 02-17-2007 | 12:20 PM

Oxygenates are fuel additives (alcohols and ethers) (by the way that is what is in heat) that contain oxygen which can boost gasoline's octane quality, enhance combustion, and reduce exhaust emissions.

and tell me that 2% - 3% is going to cut his gas milage by 6 to 7 mpg. i think not. question number 4 is most relavent. I live in iowa where ethynal is sold all the time at every pump ethynal is an oxygentated gasoline, and i still get better than 15mpg in warm months.
1. What is as you say " octane quality?" The AKI (Anti-Knock Index) octane rating is simply to rate at what temperature gasoline ignites. Ethanol will raise that rating, but all that means is a higher combustion temperature.

2. The energy output of ethanol is less than gasoline. One reason is because ethanol contains oxygen which is not combustible.

3. How much traffic and how many stoplights are there where you live? I lived in Manhattan and Brooklyn, NY where the person who started this thread lives, so I have a good idea what driving conditions are like there. I was in Manhattan yesterday and it took me 35 minutes to go 5 miles.
Old 02-17-2007 | 02:02 PM

Oxygenates are fuel additives (alcohols and ethers) (by the way that is what is in heat)
What is your definition of "heat?"
Old 02-18-2007 | 05:49 PM

how can you say oxygen is not combustable? oxygen and fuel propel our cars. and yes a heavely populated area does decrease gas milage.
Did you even click on the hyper link that i put up in my last post ? please do and read the answer to question number 4. here it is in case you cant pull up the web site

# Will using oxygenated gasoline reduce my gas mileage?

Oxygenated gasoline reduces fuel economy an average of 2%-3% because oxygenates contain less energy than non-oxygenated gasoline. Many other factors, like how well your car is maintained how you drive (such as speed of travel), traffic congestion, rain and snow, cold weather, and tire pressure can combine to impact mileage far more than oxygenated gasoline.
Old 02-18-2007 | 06:01 PM

heat is an addative that you put in gas it contains ether
Old 02-18-2007 | 06:08 PM

also you say in your previous post that winter gas drops fuel milage -20 to -30
mpg loss. if this were true our max's wouldnt move, we only get 19 city and 26 highway.
Old 02-18-2007 | 06:09 PM

no i havent changed them but arent they supposed to go past 100k and my mechanic said they look good

Your mechanic went through the trouble to plug the plugs and did not change them?

Do you have a big system or carry around alot of extra weight in your car? As some said earlier, you may have a draging brake or plugged cat.
Old 02-18-2007 | 06:13 PM

how can you say oxygen is not combustable?
Because it isn't.

Combustible matter needs oxygen to cause a reaction that releases energy, but oxygen itself contains no chemical potential energy as do hydrocarbons.

That's why all internal combustion engines, be they reciprocating, turbine, or rocket need fuel and oxygen to operate. Did you ever hear the term "air/fuel mixture" for a typical automobile engine? That's because gasoline needs air, which contains oxygen, to ignite.

Did you ever take a science class?
Old 02-18-2007 | 06:19 PM

face it your wrong oxygenated fuel does not come close to decreasing gas milage as much as cold weather, driving conditions, tire pressure. ect.
Old 02-18-2007 | 06:26 PM

your a moron. heat is a product available at almost any automotive store. once again it is a product that contains oxygenates. please stop trying to dig yourself out of a hole. clearly you rely on dictionaries thesauruses and have no real world experiences to draw from.
Old 02-18-2007 | 06:40 PM

face it your wrong oxygenated fuel does not come close to decreasing gas milage as much as cold weather, driving conditions, tire pressure. ect.
Please point out my post where I said that ethanol blended gasoline is the main reason for loss of mileage. All I did was point out your misstatements and ignorance of basic physics.
Old 02-18-2007 | 06:43 PM

your a moron. heat is a product available at almost any automotive store. once again it is a product that contains oxygenates. please stop trying to dig yourself out of a hole. clearly you rely on dictionaries thesauruses and have no real world experiences to draw from.
Please post a link that shows me where I can buy some "heat" and some brand names.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2007 | 07:30 PM

heat is the brand name.
Old 02-18-2007 | 08:18 PM

Nothing like a good Newbie argument