5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clutch pedal firmness...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 07:34 PM

Clutch pedal firmness...

in the last couple of days the firmness in my clutch pedal has been slowly fading. i dont know if that is an indication of the clutch failing but the pedal is a lot softer. Before it had 1/2 of normal toe play before the firmness was there but now its about 1 inch of toe play before their is slight firmness. i dont know if it has something to do with the weather but that just a thought. i also have experienced a squeaking noise when i engage the clutch when i first start the car in the morning but after driving it goes away. im thinking its the spring on the pedal but i havent been able to pinpoint it yet.

btw, the car i had before this was a 88 civic w/ a cable clutch so thats were i am judging my scale of firmness i guess.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Cletus

did you check the level of the clutch fluid?

and i have the squeak too. its caused by the big spring but i havent found a way to eliminate it.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:54 PM

last time i checked it was dead on but that was like 3 weeks ago.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:09 PM

so i checked the level in the clutch fluid resivior and its on max. are there any other posibilities to tighten up that pedal feel?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:59 PM
USF Class of 2009

I know that when I noticed that my clutch started getting "soft" the tension ended up just completely going away. We checked my fluid resevoir and it was bone dry...we found out it was one of my metal pressurized hoses that had broken. It cost me just over $200 to fix because the shop I went to couldn't fabricate it themselves. Also, since then, my clutch firmness has varied. I took it back after a week and they did a clutch system flush, but it still seems like there is air in the line.

I would try bleeding your clutch line first, and if that doesn't work, check all of your hoses and cables that associate with your clutch.

And yes, I have that squeaking sometimes, too. Sometimes I also get a "whoosh" sound whenever my clutch firmness acts up, (the air in the lines), but it will go away after pumping the clutch a few times.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Is the pedal firmer when you initially drive the car and then get softer as you continue to drive? From what you've said it sounds like your system needs to be bled or perhaps a dying clutch master/slave cylinder.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:50 PM

no its relatively soft. i mean the more i drive, its feels the soft it gets. is bleeding a hard procedure on the max? i havent ever dealt with a hydro clutch. the level is full but the fluid is kind of caramel/dark in color. I dont think you can flush it out but the only options is to bleed it out. Yeah it seems to be getting softer and softer as the days go on. Are slave cylinders common on the maximas?
Old 05-19-2007, 09:50 PM

i had a similar prob, as flxsunxchick i check my fluid resevoir and it was empty. i bleed my slave cylinder while adding more breakfluid.it took about 15 mins and alot of pumping the clutch. my prob was solved for the time being.i still need to replace the leaking hoes but havent got around to it yet. i just keep refilling it, good luck though!
Old 05-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bleeding is made a little more complicated with ABS but it is fairly easy if you have someone to give you a hand. If you're not mechanically inclined I would just take it to a shop because bleeding it wrong can have huge consequences in the future (brakes more than clutch).
Old 05-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by monty31
Is the pedal firmer when you initially drive the car and then get softer as you continue to drive? From what you've said it sounds like your system needs to be bled or perhaps a dying clutch master/slave cylinder.

yea i think it is leaning maybe to the master/slave clutch cylinder. bleed the clutch system, check hoses at slave and master cylinder. check behind the clutch pedal make sure it is leaking, had this prob in my 3rd gen. what are hose type are you using? rubber or steel braided? Rubber hose may be pinched or semi-collasped.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by jkmay01
yea i think it is leaning maybe to the master/slave clutch cylinder. bleed the clutch system, check hoses at slave and master cylinder. check behind the clutch pedal make sure it is leaking, had this prob in my 3rd gen. what are hose type are you using? rubber or steel braided? Rubber hose may be pinched or semi-collasped.
yeah im going to take it to a shop and have it bled out. as far as the hoses go, were should i being to look? is there a specific hoses that tends to leak that i should look for? i looked near/top of the trans and i didnt see any visble leaks. the hoses that i have are the factory rubber hoses.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by nk2k2
yeah im going to take it to a shop and have it bled out. as far as the hoses go, were should i being to look? is there a specific hoses that tends to leak that i should look for? i looked near/top of the trans and i didnt see any visble leaks. the hoses that i have are the factory rubber hoses.

on the trani at the slave, was it wet anywhere there? the hose that connects from the slave to the master cylinder was the one i was referring to from heat and age it may break down and may be collapsed. if u look under the clutch pedal u'll see a small rod with a small rubber like housing around it, this connects to the master cylinder. check to see if it is wet around this area.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
did you check the level of the clutch fluid?

and i have the squeak too. its caused by the big spring but i havent found a way to eliminate it.
Alot of the time you can solve the squeek by spraying either silcone spray or pb blaster on the spring. Happens to many standard cars with age.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:46 PM

thanks for the heads up. ill have to check it out and ill keep you guys posted. as far as firmness, i just got back and it seems to be a little less mushy. i have a feeling that it has air in the system and thats why i get a different feel everytime i drive it.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:59 PM
USF Class of 2009

Originally Posted by monty31
I remember that mine will be softer when I start, and get firmer as I'm driving...and sometimes a little too firm - to the point where the friction point is basically when my clutch is let ALL the way out...so as soon as I recover from my recent surgery, I'll be able to get underneath her and figure out how to bleed the lines, (thanks to my handy-dandy Haynes Manual).

Plus, she just hit 90K miles, so she'll need some basic maintenence.

Good luck!